Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Yahoo is worth more dead than alive. It'll get carved up or sold to Verizon or whatever. Twitter makes sense for Google in that it's not Google+, but it is what it is: a vestige for elite opinion, and that's not going to see double digit growth. It does have value for advertisers although not as much as its competitors.

My old boss unironically had this hung up in his office as a point of pride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

There needs to be a series about academia from the funny and dumb angle.

What do startups think about Halt and Catch Fire?

Dunno but I think Andreesen said he really liked it.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

kliksf posted:

I miss fuckedcompany.com more than one of my friends ended up finding out he or she was about to be unemployed by checking the site regularly is there a twenty teens equivalent?
https://web.archive.org/web/20010515183530/http://www.fuckedcompany.com/
https://web.archive.org/web/2001060...=0&crapfilter=1

TheLayoff

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

They're mostly sales staff, and if you're redeveloping a product you might well not need the same kind of sales capabilities for it -- you certainly don't need them sitting around not earning commissions while you figure it out. AIUI, SurveyMonkey's financials are fine, so I don't think it's really a sign of structural issues.

Lots of companies wildly profitable and lay off a ton of people, that's very common, and in many cases those companies can be wildly overstaffed.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

on the left posted:

Accenture blew up analyst pay this year with 80k starting, but then you'd be working for Accenture. MBB was quick to match though.

Which analysts?

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

axeil posted:

Hiring is a problem all over the place it seems. Here's a horror story of when I was in government and we were trying to hire an economist. The person who was screening the applicants had no idea what quantitative modeling was and kept throwing us people without ph.ds in economics who had no idea what a regression even was. They then got pissed we rejected all their candidates.

And then when we finally got some ph.d people we'd interview them and they wouldn't get offered for another month and the HR people were confused why they all declined (it's because a bunch of financial shops were able to interview and offer them within a week instead of 2+ months plus they got paid about 50% more).

The one thing the government needs is a complete overhaul of its hiring practices for anyone above entry-level. It's an absolute joke and the main reason they can't get any talent in the door.

It's not just government, this is my experience at one of the largest corporations in America. Which is incredibly bureaucratic and reminds me of government in many ways.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

MiddleOne posted:

What in gods name makes Verizon believe that they have the expertise to turn around, everything not named Alibaba, that they're getting into? :psyduck:

There were hedge funds that wanted to merge Yahoo and AOL, firing everyone and selling it off in pieces. They're likely to do that So even if it was 9 billion total, they'll cut costs to the bone and sell some real estate, patents, and other assets.

AOL is surprisingly well run for what it is now.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
https://newrepublic.com/article/129002/secret-lives-tumblr-teens

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Popular Thug Drink posted:

it's not all doom though, i've worked with (large firm you've probably heard of, especially if you have a white collar career) and their development team might have been literal wizards (not in the virgin sense) but by and large the larger a company is the more they can tolerate or even encourage incompetence and inefficiency in their ranks

Yes.

We have an army of analytics people and they are all belittled and ignored, when it's not HR, IT, sourcing, or another horrible administrative unit loving things up and making a ton more work for everyone.

I estimate about 70% of our resources go to internal politics and infighting. And we're wildly, wildly successful. Gravy train isn't going to last forever. Things are just going to be one giant race to the bottom, and we'll be caught sleeping.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Kobayashi posted:

I work at a company that buys data from one of these brokers. It's "anonymized," but then I listen to our data scientists talk about how trivial it is de-anonymize, usually with perfect fidelity. poo poo's crazy.

it's also pretty shoddy. I looked up my info and it was pretty much all wrong.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

cheese posted:

Probably because we have spent the last few decades pumping up post-grad education to the point where even an MA or PhD doesn't mean a whole lot. We also no longer (especially after 2008) really have enough jobs for the majority of college graduates, which has fueled a "go back to school and get your MA/PhD in the same field where a BA wouldn't get you a job" boom. Oh and rack up 6 figures of student loan debt while doing it.

The job market is brutal and not really getting any better.

This already wasn't true, and today's economic news makes it doubly so.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Spacewolf posted:

It wasn't true? WTF?

What universe have you been living in?

You read the news right? The economy is doing really well, unemployment is low, and the idea of BA holders taking succor in grad school is a 2009 era relic.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Their product is actually really good though, so all is forgiven in my mind.

blah_blah posted:

In rare cases candidates have very high quality public facing work (on their blog or GitHub or elsewhere). If I was interviewing the guy who wrote this I'd hire him on the spot, but alas this is not the norm (nor do I want it to become the norm that everyone has to produce unpaid analytical work on their own time on public datasets to get data science jobs in the future).

Not trying to be that guy, but the analytics behind doing a word frequency and where clauses are extremely rudimentary. He definitely did a good job with presentation though, and half the battle is coming up with good applications for your tool set.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 23, 2016

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

MickeyFinn posted:

How is it that silicon valley, home of the data science ~*revolution*~, doesn't seem to understand basic sampling?

Data and statistics are a venn diagram with some overlap but encompass many different things.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

As someone who has worked as a consultant to various companies for various reasons, there are exactly three things that have ever made me straight up walk away:

1. Breach of contract

2. Refusal or inability to actually take my advice

3. Doing something so egregiously, publicly awful that I couldn't be associated with them.

Given Yahoo's history, I would bet it's heavily the second one. Everyone seems to blame Meyer for everything, and the management buck does stop with her, but everything I've seen tells me they have one of the most profoundly lovely boards in history.

of course, carol bartz certainly seems to think so

I don't think it's the second, because my company has a long history of #2 and it just means more billable hours.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
No doubt they've had revolutionary designs, but there are aspects of Apple's UX and UI that are utter poo poo and completely counter intuitive. Using an iPhone to me might as well be playing a space accordion, while everything on Android seems 100% perfectly logical and makes total sense. Nor does that warrant the control freakiness, especially when it gets really anti-consumer like rejecting competing apps for petty reasons.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Hahahaha! Ask me about working at six companies in a row that either were bought disastrously or bought another company disastrously, mostly the first. I was starting to worry about carrying a curse, but even I couldn't kill Oracle.

:(

Not personal, just I have never used an Oracle product that wasn't horrible to unusable, and their death would make me very happy.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Terrible Opinions posted:

purposely violating monopoly laws

Are you actually going to defend the regulations that prevent direct sales to consumers? Have you ever been to a car dealership? gently caress those laws, and similarly gently caress taxicab medallions. We can leave all of their other alleged failings aside, and certainly Uber has a lot more than Tesla. These companies exist because there are these gigantic, idiotic regulatory failures in our legal system. Stupid laws should not be followed, e.g. marijuana prohibition.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Yes I will defend those regulations just like I'll defend any law meant to prevent vertical integration. Those are good, just like the ones that targeted Hollywood studios and the ones that targeted slaughterhouses. The medallions are stupid but significantly less stupid than the "no regulation whatsoever" that Uber pretends is the rule of the day.

Then defend them. I want to be able to buy a car online from 20 different retailers trying to undercut each other instead of a bunch of fat dealerships colluding on price and passing along to me giant markups. There's no possibility of vertical integration in auto manufacturing, this isn't the 1930s. Not only should the law go, the thread is right that Tesla is largely a blip, so who gives a poo poo what they do, let them sell direct to consumers.

Hating on medallions does not require a company that does all the other bad poo poo Uber does, hence why I was decoupling the two. They're both popular because these are significant problems, and if your answers are tough, have to stick with the status quo, you're in denial. Consumers have overwhelmingly said that they want an easy app and the ability for individual drivers to operate without medallions. Similarly, everyone loving hates car dealerships, and they'd be dead if the law didn't protect their monopolies. You're basically arguing that everyone should be stuck with Comcast for life because well poo poo, life's tough.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 23, 2017

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Peachfart posted:

Users don't care about medallions. They care about cost, speed, and ease of use. Along with how cabs had a tendency to claim their credit card machine was broken.
Cost is subsidized by Uber and isn't sustainable. Speed, ease of use, and credit card issues have gotten better with most cab companies coming out with apps that let you pay online.

That was never happening if you don't break up the local monopoly. No one wants to get a million apps either. Yes it's subsidized, but more users driving also drives costs down, in addition to being able to get a cab when you want one. So yes, users did want the monopoly broken. Even if people don't like Uber's business practices, users are overwhelmingly voting in favor of ride sharing as opposed to cabs because the latter are still a horrible experience overall. Uber/Lyft are literally 1/5 the cost of a cab for me at an airport and a million times better.

Yeah you're right it's not the 1930s, and that's precisely why we have laws against it. Do you think for a second if we didn't have laws against it companies wouldn't try to pay employs in company script? Every single evil thing done by a company in the past is something some entrepanuring rich fucker wants to do now and is only stopped by laws. Rich people are fundamentally evil and will do whatever horrible thing they are aren't specifically prevented from doing.

It's not the 1930s in that car manufacturers aren't super powerful, there's plenty of competition. All you're saying is a bunch of car dealership owners get to magically steal 20% of the purchase price of each car and make themselves rich for no discernible reason whatsoever. It doesn't matter to car companies either way, but you're empowering a class of worthless middlemen at the expense of the working class and middle class. It's the entrenched political class who benefit from the status quo.

This has nothing to do with protecting consumers - you have not given one single example about how banning direct purchases helps consumers in any way. You know that you can have direct purchasing and then regulate the car companies directly, and/or beef up consumer protection laws? Jesus gently caress, socialize it, you could literally have the government run all car dealerships and have a gigantic improvement over the current setup, which gives dealerships a license to gently caress over customers with zero recourse.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 24, 2017

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

fishmech posted:

You can already buy a car from 20 different retailers though? You can also already buy cars direct from Tesla in every state too?

20 different retailers trying to gently caress me six ways to Sunday, and make the experience the absolute worst of your life.

If you don't understand the complaint, you have never been to a car dealership.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

fishmech posted:

He's explicitly saying he wants to buy from a choice of middlemen, who will somehow not do all the supposed bad things the dealers do despite being factually performing the same business as a dealer does.

If the business wasn't as regulated, the barriers to entry would fall away. It should be as easy and seamless as any other part of retail.

Discendo Vox posted:

Why not just buy from the national scale used car congloms?

I do, but using the workaround that makes something sort of tolerable isn't as ideal as making something not terrible.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Add DBA to the list but then also add not working at Uber to the list.

There's not enough good ones to go around, but management doesn't give a poo poo and will just outsource it to Accenture or some other poo poo factory.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
It's not an excuse for Google, but I'd venture the majority of Fortune 500 companies have complete garbage IT systems that would struggle to meet that request.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

anonumos posted:

I'm pretty sure if you don't have a database with a robust query language you should be run out of business. Like seriously?

Select avg(pay) from personnel where sex = 'f'

But more than that, how do you run a business when you can't report your costs properly. How on earth do you not know every aspect of labor costs? If you don't know that stuff, how do you meet compliance requirements, many of which reduce your tax burden, or help you get reimbursed by customers, or help you pay less to your venders?

You'd be surprised. And I'm Fortune 50 here.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

namaste faggots posted:

Libertarianism was actually mostly a leftist ideology until it was appropriated by fat otakus living in mom's basement in the last 20 years.

That term itself once meant something more like syndicalism, but this isn't really true in terms of modern day libertarianism. The Ron Pauls of the world have been more the rule than the exception stemming from the old right in the early part of the 20th century. The rise of the Reason/CATO style anti-war, pro-pot, pro-LGBT (and that's what's emphasized, but still very anti tax and regulation) has its roots in the late 70s, and only really gained momentum in the past two decades.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
There are literally studies that argue SF housing policy costs the US economy billions of dollars.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

TaintedBalance posted:

I can't speak to the places you've worked, but this is not true every where. I've seen two people come back from PIPs and managed a third who did as well. It does fully depend on management and the company doing some introspection to see where they hosed up and if it is fixable though. As someone in management, I tend to view have to have someone let go as a failure on my part. Also having seen railroading happen, particular with resistance to new changes or regimes, it looks like this from what she stated. Of course, we also haven't heard GitHubs side. But they have a strong negative history on this, so I'm going to view this as a lesson to be learned.

Although I do agree with you on her not taking offered medical leave. Her therapist told her she needed to get back into routine, but work was going in a direction that was distinctly not routine. *shrug* We have incomplete knowledge of the situation, and I'm wandering off topic now, but to my core point. You can come back from a PIP if you want to and management wants you to as well. That can just be really rare.

What'll often happen is pre-PIP. A struggling worker will get more coaching and such. If you're formally put on PIP, you are hosed - you are considered beyond hope, and this is only to cover their rear end legally.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Gmail is fine for personal use, but I had to switch to it recently for business and god is its functionality pathetic in many, many ways. Although I'm sure a good part of that is our incompetent IT. But ironically, gmail search is loving horrific.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

a foolish pianist posted:

What did you switch from? We just went from gmail to Outlook, and it's loving terrible.

Normal Outlook which had its flaws, it takes 10 years to load with my gigantic PST file. But search actually works, the calendar isn't a pathetic joke, and I could actually read my emails without having to deal with the idiotic trash security software our IT uses.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

curufinor posted:

those 200k total comps are a lie
they're heavily backloaded and everyone quits before getting at it because it sucks so much to work there
in practice, total comp ends up being on the order of 130-160k

I know a relatively junior person who started at Amazon at 130. Not a developer either.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

WampaLord posted:

Oh no, "only" $130,000!

They'll have to eat Ramen!

That's good compensation for the most part in NYC suburbs, although that's like the equivalent of 70k in Manhattan or SF. It's sure as poo poo not dire poverty, but you can't construct a gilded cage at that salary, especially if you have high rent and student loans.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Thanks for denying that cost of living varying by geography is a thing. The fact that Manhattan and SF are expensive as poo poo is even more horrible for the blue collar and working poor, I wasn't saying you should throw the upper class a pity party.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

fishmech posted:

Even in the richest census districts in Manhattan, $250,000 a year will at most put you right in the middle, and usually puts you quite a bit above it. And going a few blocks over drops the incomes quite a lot.

You don't stop making a ton of money because you're dumb enough to insist on an expensive house.

But I was talking about $130k. On that, you're giving up 40% of your salary to live in a modest single without rent control in large portions of Manhattan. I never was talking about that article about not getting by on $250k because you take two vacations.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

fishmech posted:

Again, you don't actually have to live int he richest parts of town, and doing so doesn't make you less rich, it makes you someone who's bad with money.

No one doesn't and I never claimed one did, but you're minimizing how preposterously unaffordable Manhattan is. I don't make 130k and I can't afford anywhere close to those rents, so I can't live in a good portion of Manhattan unless I want to save nothing.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

LinYutang posted:

All the assumptions about programming work is weird. I have never taken a CS course in my life and I've been working full time as a programmer for a few years. The skillset for much of programming work, especially web applications programming, *must* be self taught. It isn't really taught in schools, though bootcamps are trying to keep up.

The real advantage that CS majors have are during the interviewing process, which is totally broken and biased towards CS classwork.

100% agreed on all of this. HR and outsiders in general tend to completely miss this point universally.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

And this is a great way to wind up with a workforce that matches the racial/ethnic/gender/etc makeup of your current organization, which is a problem not only because of justice but because you're missing out on talent that might help you solve problems in a different way. I know that's conventional wisdom, but it's "wisdom" that lets you fail to examine your hiring process. Missing good hires is a severe loss, not just the way business inevitably must work.

Here's an actual paper on it. Grad students -- the very same sort of people who often interview would-be Google employees -- were no better than chance at predicting the success of other students using interviews. Other students continued to believe interviews were effective even after being shown the research proving otherwise. There are other relevant papers. Look, in particular, at section 3.1 of this 2009 research overview. As of 2009, there was clear-cut evidence that interviewers, whether intentionally or not, underrated the performance of African-American interviewees. If you look at section 2, the preponderance of the evidence says that "structured interviews" (see the Post Office, here) are far more predictive than the standard "engineer assumes they are qualified to evaluate a candidate based on whatever their favorite questions are". At [popular high-tech company], you'd have to have a big enough standard list that people couldn't pre-prepare, but it can be done.

There is existing research demonstrating how to make interviews more useful. It's being ignored.

Cosigned. I've heard word-of-mouth that some companies are demanding work that they then reuse in their own applications without hiring the candidate. I have no cites on that one.

You know what a real engineer does when coding a sort? They look it up in the loving class library. Assuming they are insane enough to code one from scratch, they look it up in the literature. A lot of real engineering is knowing when to rely on somebody else's expertise. You know who does know which search is O(N!)? Recently graduated CS students.

I think there are many underserved groups. Ethnicity and gender are a factor, but I think class and income are much bigger factors. I think introversion is a huge factor. There are hundreds of thousands of potential awesome developers out there who are never even exposed to it as a possibility. Competent employers selfishly want the best talent pool out there, but they're few and far between.

I put a lot of effort into coming up with a structured interview that I think is able to be effective in trying to identify core skills in a somewhat obscure area, and drive out bias to the best of my ability. (FWIW my hires have been close to 50% women although mostly White/Asian.) I ask them to pick a project they think best represents their work, walk me through it, and usually it's in an area that I'm very familiar with and can ask a good probing question about. Then, they're not given a brain teaser, they're asked to solve something abstract that's very similar to real world work we do with some of the details masked.

There is take home work, but it's 1-2 hours to complete, and we give the same data set to every candidate. The idea of actually using that for anything seems insane to me.

And 100% on the last piece. If I need to know how to do something, it's good enough if I understand the core logic, I can look up the proper syntax on Google.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

fishmech posted:

Luckily living in the trendy parts of Manhattan isn't required to live. So, just don't do it? What's so hard about this? There's even a pretty good public transit system in place so you can live in Not Manhattan and work in Manhattan. You know, like over 1.6 million people do, every workday of the year.

You can't dismiss 70% of the landmass as "trendy." Manhattan is not affordable, full stop. Neither is northern Brooklyn. That leaves some areas with commutes that aren't insane, but not many. It's not a matter of distance, there is a good portion of the city and/or metro area that isn't well served by transit.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You don't actually have to pick between trying to find economic diversity and trying to find other kinds of diversity. Both are important. I am deeply concerned that the focus on top-10 universities excludes a lot of people who can't afford to go to anything but their state university. There are a lot of excellent people with degrees from "second-tier" colleges. I am also deeply concerned that, to name two, women and black people who enter the CS workforce are leaving because they were made to feel unwelcome.

It's a big problem at the start of careers, and that can really stunt people, but then it goes away. I have never heard of it mattering over the age of 25 except in some rare cases, I've been told black belts at GE obsess over education. Probably the best DBA I know went to DeVry.

My old firm, we knew we couldn't get Ivy League applicants for junior positions. We would just go for B+ students at top public schools in a 50 mile radius of our office, it worked very well.

boner confessor posted:

99% chance. the stated reason google gave for firing the guy is that he created a hostile work environment contrary to the code of conduct. it doesn't matter what other excuses he comes up with. he's trying to chessmaster his way out of this by filing CYA complaints with the NLRB but since google didn't fire him for his political beliefs but rather his actions (writing down on paper how much he dislikes his female coworkers) it won't stand up in court

also lol that he's complaining about being misrepresented when his angry rant was widely published. can't backpedal your way out of this one bro, you hosed up bigly

It's less about expecting to win at trial, and more about being enough of a nuisance where you get paid to go away quietly.

hobbesmaster posted:

The Trump campaign had some really good analytics teams, he could do that stuff probably.

We don't have hard evidence of this. We have a lot of chest beating, and we have evidence that Clinton's were bad. I actually know some of the more prominent progressive firms well, and they do not inspire confidence...

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is there HARD evidence yet that Cambridge Analytica was a front for stolen voter roll data? Or does it just fit all the facts perfectly but nobody has found the smoking gun yet?

I have no idea, I assumed all of that stuff was public records or FOIA-able?

The explanation in that Bloomberg piece that first talked about them was complete gobbledygook, but it's hard to tell if it was just standard marketing lies or something else, I would assume the former.

Let's not overdramatize standard targeting, which goes back to Karl Rove bringing modern marketing tactics into politics 20 years ago. It's a little different now in that there are giant marketing companies devoted to knowing everything about consumers and selling that data to all interested parties, including politicians. (Although the dirty little secret of that is garbage in, garbage out...)

pangstrom posted:

I'm not a "nationalize business" guy, at least not by D&D standards, but I think there's a pretty decent argument in the abstract to nationalize chunks of Google and, unless the next generation continues to ignore it even as they age, maybe Facebook. Some services basically work better if everyone is using the same one. The argument in practice may be a total disaster, I don't pretend to know.

We did this for AT&T for decades - I read a book a few months ago on Bell Labs. It led to a LOT of technical innovation in terms of things like basic research, but I think we could have had specific technologies like transistors, satellites, fiber optics, and cellular phones maybe 20 years earlier than we would have if there was more of a market incentive, but people like Shockley and Shannon may not have done the basic research needed to get there if it was not subsidized.

However, all of this did lead to massive, massive overcharging of consumers.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

fishmech posted:

How the gently caress would we have transistors in 1927, satellites in 1937, fiber optics in 1932 and cell phones in 1953 just from "market incentive"? Pretty much all of these had been described in theory around those times, but the materials science and such was simply lacking.

I didn't say that early. The book makes clear that elements of cellular technology could have been feasible in the late 60s/early 70s, but got lost in the Bell Labs shuffle.