Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

If you cant get a job after college just get your neighbor to loan you a million bucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Friend of mine once had an ad for engineer hiring show up in his Uber app. Not sure how they decided to show it to him, travel to tech industry related locations maybe?

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Chicago is doing well actually, a lot of companies are moving some or all of their jobs back into the city. Turns out nobody desirable under the age of 40 wants to take a job in the suburbs and smarter employers are belatedly realising this: Allstate just relocated a bunch of their IT downtown for example, and McDonalds just announced their HQ is moving to the West Loop. You're also seeing employers from shittier Midwestern cities moving their HQ operations to Chicago.

With tech in particular you already have some successful local startups (Groupon, Grubhub, Jellyvision etc) and a lot of smaller but well funded ones popping up. Health, education, marketing, enterprise IT, and transport/logistics related startups are most of what you get here.

Google and AWS recently opened up good sized offices as well. The downtown/North Side real estate market is hot but housing stock has mostly kept pace so there's still plenty of affordable options for professionals. Infrastructure is solid if a bit old, weather still kinda sucks but climate change will fix that.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

All right, Fortune 500 enterprise IT, truly state of the art!

Only the best .NET devs need apply.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

It's not like there are zero blue states in flyover country anyway. Colorado, Minnesota, and Illinois all have solidly Dem controlled state governments, and there are others where social conservatives are relatively weak.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Let's be honest LinkedIn kind of sucks. I got zero interviews thanks to it and most of the job postings seemed to be "you are required to be bill Gates and also a unicorm."
5 years of React and ES6 experience required

edit: I have gotten multiple interviews from Linkedin recruiters but in my experience it's most useful as a glorified directory of (ex)-coworkers/fellow alumni who you then contact offsite

Soy Division fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 1, 2016

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

I just post what comes across my transom but this one strikes me as just random enough to be real

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Reminder that Hubspot is the company Dan Lyons' recent book was about

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

What did happen to the travel agents? I can't think of an industry more thoroughly decimated than travel agencies by the internet.
There's still plenty of corporate and luxury travel agents out there.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Snapchat is in LA not SF so technically they're not an SV company

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Lol it really is true that this thread exists solely for jealousy inspired ranting about tech companies isn't it

Slack is cool and good

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

quote:

an engineer with the unlikely name Brogan BamBrogan
What's next, Big McLargeHuge?

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

e_angst posted:

It's like we're in 1991 trying to guess what the internet was going to be like in 2016 based on what is happening with Gopher.
Most of that era's predictions came true though, just 10-15 years later than predicted. Lesson there for the present day..

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

computer parts posted:

As a reminder, planes basically fly themselves these days.
This right here is how I know you're full of poo poo.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

Its true in the sense that pilots spend most of their time telling the autopilot what to do instead of having their hands on the flight controls.
Only in cruise, and auto land actually involves higher pilot workload than regular landing.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

The other major thing of course is that aircraft autopilots do not handle collision prevention between vehicles; instead something called a traffic collision avoidance system yells at the pilot to do something. (ie; climb, descend)

Systems like the Tesla "autopilot" are actually trying to do something much more complicated than aviation autopilots.
TCAS does have an automatic mode that kicks in if the pilot doesn't do anything, though.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Aren't there lots of rumors about Thiel secretly funding alt-right/dark enlightenment poo poo?

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

BrandorKP posted:

Ehh Bezos has said he doesn't think amazons future growth will be in retail. At some I think they'll provide supply chains to other business primarily.
Don't forget AWS

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

I work at an early stage startup and if my CEO ever asked me for a loan my rear end would be out the door.

People really should not work at these places if they do not have some sort of non technical business experience that lets them detect bullshitters and red flags.

I got to review our entire financial model and business plan upfront and anyone not willing to offer that transparency to a prospective senior exec is highly suspect.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Kobayashi posted:

Has there ever been a Silicon Valley company whose lore includes missing payroll and stories about the crazy days where the employees worked for free? That seems like a myth even SV can't sell.
Plenty, "bootstrapping" is a catch phrase for a reason. In normal examples of this, the arrangement is transparent and the employees in question (usually the first 5 at most) get extra equity. Hell, watch Silicon Valley for an example, those guys get paid very sporadically.

It shouldn't happen once a company gets to this size and is bringing in H-1Bs, though.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

That assumes Uber doesn't offer accessible vehicles, considering some cities already mandate they do so they probably will in these cases.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

I kind of wonder about the numerator in that fraction. Is he counting "hours worked" as having the app on or actual driving? He could be doing any number of other things while having the app on, even sitting in his house watching TV. And since this is a lawsuit he has incentive to pad the numbers.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

It's also possible that the people running the "startup" are equally clueless. I've seen this before, some people have a halfway good idea and lots of hustle, but none of the actual skills required for execution.

Not that this excuses failing to get things in writing, hell even emailing them saying "hey just summarizing our conversation about xyz" puts you on much better footing down the road.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Airbnb does collect hotel tax in a lot of jurisdictions, though.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

The majority of Airbnb's I've stayed in have been people renting out their extra room, granted I usually go for the cheaper ones though.

Airbnb's becoming party houses has become a definite issue in some parts of town though.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Yeah I remember when Google was a scrappy upstart and I was reluctant to use it because its name sounded dumb. It really was better, though.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Space Gopher posted:

Look at the bottom right - it's "made with admiration" by a company that makes CV templates that look like that.
Yeah, that site and creddle.io are increasingly recommended by career counselors. Ironically making your CV not unique at all! Old school CV's are just fine, just don't use Times New Roman and make sure you link to (and have) a well designed homepage/blog.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

I thought Apple was known for paying slightly below market salaries since they think the privilege of working for Apple is worth the pay cut.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

If they were truly desperate these companies would not wait months between candidate contacts and after interviews require multiple committees to sign off on each employment offer.
Yeah the desperation is for candidates who can make it past every gatekeeper of the ridiculously Byzantine hiring process.

I'm not even talking about Google here but the myriad of startups who insist on cargo culting Google's hiring practices.

A gauntlet of whiteboard interviews makes sense if you are one of the world's most desirable companies and actually need the skills tested in whiteboard interviews, not so much if you are a startup with a bog standard CRUD web app.

You also see the dreaded "cultural fit" interview gauntlet a lot after you make it past the above, which is often a stalking horse for discrimination.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Their stupid hiring practices don't filter for the best at doing the job, they filter for the best at doing stupid hiring practices. That's why dumb riddles like "how many pennies could fit in this room" have largely fallen out of fashion with companies like Google, although they're still trickling down to smaller companies that are behind on the trends. Google's still a fan of the "devote several unpaid days to a gauntlet of interviews with us" thing though, which should be next on the chopping block.
Is "implement a red black tree on this whiteboard" or "reverse a linked list," to take two well known Google style interview questions, really all that different from a brain teaser though? With the exception that you are at least doing some form of coding. 99% of devs never exercise those skills in their day to day work.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

twodot posted:

"Implement a red black tree" is "have you read the Wikipedia page for red black trees recently?"
In other words, it's trivia that a quality programmer doesn't need to reproduce on a whiteboard from memory, because in the event they would need to actually implement one they can pull up Wikipedia.

quote:

"Reverse a linked list" and discuss the time and space implications of the strategy they chose is a thing anyone calling themselves a programmer should be able to do at will regardless of the last time you've done it.
Sure, any programmer should be able to explain and talk about the time and space complexity of common data structures and algorithms. This is different from expecting them to do implementations from memory in a high-pressure environment without computer assistance. Google and Google cargo-culting companies do that. By the way, no prizes for guessing which demographics tend to do worst in these types of interviews.

Also, I've seen a lot of companies giving out coding assessments that have relatively open-ended specs with the deliverable being a public Github repo. I'm all about this, even if I don't get the job at least it's something new for the portfolio.

Soy Division fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 21, 2016

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

I've heard of full day job shadowing type interviews before, but in all of the cases I've personally encountered the company cuts the candidate a check. If they don't that's a sign to tell them to gently caress off.

The average 5 interview deal is still basically a full day though, there are inevitable breaks and delays and the candidate needs to bring their A game the whole time including downtime, which you don't have to do during a normal day at work. Even if it's only 5-6 hours onsite it's much more exhausting than an average 8 hour workday. In one of my recent interviews I had to do 3 hours of whiteboard interviews with no breaks and I was loving exhausted at the end.

Soy Division fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 21, 2016

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

twodot posted:

I think it's fine to argue that high-pressure environments are fundamentally flawed (possibly because you are reduced to asking trivial questions like reverse a linked list), but someone who can't reverse a linked list on demand isn't a programmer.
Yeah, that's true, I was thinking of this infamous case and mangled it.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Look folks, Steve Jobs once said that "A's hire A's, and B's hire C's." Thus we must make sure that every hire is an A player ubermensch by making them run our contrived interview gauntlet or our company will collapse.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

peter banana posted:

In the last software company I worked for the CEO insisted on meeting every person who'd gotten through the first three interviews and aptitude test to "give his personal approval."
No prizes for guessing which company still has the CEO give his personal approval to all hires, even though it has tens of thousands of employees. (Maybe it's changed but if so this was the case up until very recently.)

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

That would be the property of the company they currently work for and a violation of their terms of employment to share that with another company.
I don't think that's actually true for the segment of the industry we're talking about. Anyway you can also demonstrate competence through technical blog posts, etc.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Nessus posted:

Sounds like they need to be more energetic and care more about their field or else they're deadweight slackers.
Yep. Definite B players. They need to man the gently caress up or get out of the industry. We're changing the world here bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Who said that technical interviews were a waste of time? Must have missed it.

The fundamental problem with the standard white boarding gauntlet is that it doesn't effectively test the skills required for the job. It tests some (not all) of the needed skills in a contrived environment practically designed to throw anyone who isn't a young white male with an elite CS degree off their game.

There are many other modes of skill assessment that are more effective and less exclusionary.