Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Mo_Steel posted:

Square probably has a safe space for a while; chip and pin is a goddamn clusterfuck right now. If you're a local auto shop, electrician, etc. it's probably a million times easier to buy an iPad and use it as a mobile WiFi hotspot with one of their readers than it is to handle personal checks. I'd love to tinker with one of their systems out of curiosity.

I've been seeing more and more installs of some iPad-based POS install in various mom-and-pop stores in response to EMV that I'm pretty sure isn't Square (it has some plastic hood you can place over the iPad for privacy when entering your PIN, in case someone can better identify it), so I'm not sure how stable Square's base really is in the long run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Freezer posted:

Oh, definitely. There had not been much hurry to innovate in the world of taxis before and I'm glad uber stirred poo poo up. This is especially true in some of the more entrenched markets outside the US.

The only thing is that Uber has a huge first-mover advantage. Hailo was one of the first companies to try to unify mobile taxi hailing worldwide, but ended up pulling out of the US because Uber was eating their lunch. Like it or not, Uber isn't going anywhere any time soon, and certainly won't as long as a company like Flywheel or Arro hasn't gotten global penetration even as Uber continues to grow.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

computer parts posted:

The thing is that Uber is unsustainable, and not in the "Climate Change will kill us in 50 years" sense but in the "Housing prices can only go up!" sense.

Once they run out of money (and they're losing something like $400 million annually) they will die.

Of course. Hence my "as long as Uber continues to grow" comment. It's absolutely true that a niche will open if Uber fails for financial reasons, but we aren't there yet. And these taxi hailing apps have to compete in the market as it is today, not in the market that might possibly exist at some point in the future.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

duz posted:

The MTData app a bunch use right now isn't that bad, the main annoyance is that since they're all separate companies, you need a copy of the app for each city.

That's what I was getting at with the "global reach" thing. So long as Uber can be used where ever you exit an airport, it's got a leg up on any taxi company or hailing app that can't.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

FilthyImp posted:

Supposed? Three networks ran SatAM programming (4 if you count CBS's anemic schedule) for 4-5 years. 3 ran weekday afternoon programming (Fox Kids, WB! Kids, The Disney Afternoon).

Not all of that content was good -- I'm looking at you, Marsupalami -- but the amount of stuff produced was pretty significant.

And that's before you start talking about how kids in this era almost universally grew up with basic cable (and therefore access to Nicktoons and, late in the decade, Cartoon Network's Cartoon-Cartoon/World-Premiere-Cartoons output).

And while it's usually not what's meant by "90s cartoons", this generation also had the opportunity to live through the beginning of the adult cartoon revival with the Simpsons and King of the Hill and literally aged straight into Family Guy and Futurama when they started at the end of the decade. You could easily argue that cartoons like Archer and much of the cartoon output of Adult Swim were literally built on top of the cultural priming that Fox Sunday nights in the 90s offered millennials (which arguably depended in turn on the childhood priming that the pre-1996 cartoon blocks gave)

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 25, 2016

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Arsenic Lupin posted:

They were asking the developer to rename a well-known and well-established pair of packages, causing (as demonstrated) a lot of inconvenience to a lot of production systems, without either offering the carrot of compensation or threatening the stick of trademark.

The package that broke the production systems was an unrelated package that azer took down as part of his spiteful fit after they removed his "kik" package.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Baby Babbeh posted:

Frankly, I think we'll see widespread adoption of self-driving cars before we see adequate public transportation in Silicon Valley.

You're more right than you know.

quote:

“When cars are actually autonomous and speak to each other, they will be packed more densely on the roads, and they won’t be creating that congestion,” said Whittum. “So the idea of spending huge amounts of money on concrete to do this, it’s not a futuristic 21st century idea, it’s actually a very 20th century idea.”

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Unguided posted:

code:
PunishAnyoneWhoKnowinglyFailedToContribute=False

There, I've solved it. As long as no one changes that we should be good and can get back to laughing at failing tech companies.

I don't think anyone has brought up one consultant company's idea to encourage startups to commodify sleep.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Automatic Slim posted:

Uber and Lyft will hit up the legislature next. Plenty of non-Austin politicians talking about how "liberal big government" killed innovation. 56%-44%.

U/L should've used their $8.7 million better and gone the TX Lege first.

No, in Texas you have to go for Austin first. Then when Austin (or some other nest of liberals) passes the exact opposite of what you want, the state leg will reflexively try to pass a law banning cities from doing exactly that, making everything come up in your favor in the end without you having to spend any money at all (see: fracking, plastic bags (unsuccessful), anti-discrimination in housing)

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Marenghi posted:

I'm glad Uber never took of here. Taxis were already using an app (hailo) that allows you to see where the nearest ones were and hail them to your area.

And when uber did try move into the market they couldn't circumvent the regulation in place to keep taxis from saturating and causing excess traffic. They were only able to hire licenced taxi drivers. Not sure why America and other countries let them bypass regulation.

Hailo actually tried to move in to the US but failed because Uber was already big enough to eat their lunch at that point. Hailo pulled out as a result.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

asdf32 posted:

So are you sure you think airbnb is liable for this sort of stuff? Is craigslist liable if it facilitated the identical transaction?

Craigslist has never been forced to take action in response to how it has facilitated certain transactions, no sir.

So as you can see, there is absolutely no grounds for expecting Uber or Airbnb to ever fall under related regulations.

Yes it's not a perfect analogy, but facilitation of x-like services could, at least in theory, fall under the category of providing x, depending on how the relevant regulations were worded and enforced.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Munkeymon posted:

Nothing! What's wrong is that an appellate court has determined that the fact that someone put a method called 'add' that takes two numbers and returns a number in the file /java/math.java is copyrightable because it took considerable skill and creativity to not put it in /java/a.java.

Or to not call it plus. Or to not take an extra string as an argument used when logging an exception. Or to not reverse the order of the arguments and require that string to be the first argument instead of the last one.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Who said that the big guys can't disrupt labor with the best of them? GE is now looking into killing the annual raise.

quote:

“People are looking for more flexibility, not more pay necessarily,” [Ranjay Gulati, a professor at Harvard Business School] said. “Relying on annual rhythms makes it artificial.”

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

asdf32 posted:

Of course I'm thankful I got in when I did because starting from scratch now in this area is even worse.

The number of people in my org (of a well-established SV company) who have relocated out of California to work remotely in the past six months alone is pretty ridiculous, but tells the tale.

Almost a half dozen, and that's just among the nearest 100 people to me organizationally speaking.

And that's before you start counting the number of older hires who also work remote because they literally refuse to relocate here.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Theranos Status: Still hosed.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

namaste faggots posted:

gently caress you if that is fake

Not a fake; Microsoft implicitly accepted responsibility.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Time to disrupt sustainable living!

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

hobbesmaster posted:

I thought there were different rules/visas for (temporary?) intracompany transfers? Is that only with some countries?

You could get an L-1B visa as a stop gap, but you have to be employed for at least one year outside the US (any time spent over here for training or other meetings doesn't count) and your employer needs to sponsor you as a "worker with specialized knowledge."

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Google's reportedly bailing on making their own bubble car in favor of farming out the car part to Chrysler Fiat so they can compete with Uber for some reason.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Uber refuses to back down and get the $100 permit, setting up yet another court case.

Maybe they're hoping that this will be the case to revive Lochner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

nm posted:

This is less a tech issue and more why we need 50 state anti-SLAPP laws.

Anti-SLAPP laws usually don't defend against private actions, like reporting on the business affairs or claims made by a private individual. New York's law, for example, only covers reporting on public affairs, such as those which involve zoning and development filings.