Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

I'm sure you can't just "instantly" train cops either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Someone's got to show them how to plant a gun on a dead guy

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Beachcomber posted:

Keeping children in pens doesn't sound any better!

It sounds like they're going to eat them. Disrupt the food supply.

Don't be silly

(It's Peter Thiel's blood supply...)

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Dinosaurtrain posted:

So exactly what is AI good for you guys

Racism

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Everybody in my Twitter Timeline: gently caress no, I do not want Nazis added to my timeline, nor do I want to be added to Nazis' timelines so as to give them a fresh target.

That's amazing. Of course his fix is more visibility for Nazis

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Are they the folks that started as a repository for templates you could use to get out of traffic tickets?

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Hancock continuing his unbroken streak of being a loving wankstain I see

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

PT6A posted:

Remember when it was a sign of cutting-edge tech to have a small cellphone? Now, all the new smartphones are loving giant. I don't want to make a phone call on my tablet, you wankers! I have a tablet for tablet things, I want a phone for phone things.

My mate got a tiny phone just before the whole big smart phone trend started

It was some sort of dumb phone and we were all incredibly impressed that it could fit in the little coin pocket in his jeans

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

But if you do want a tiny smart phone now just get on Ali Express:

£33.51 45%OFF | SOYES XS11 Android Mini Smart Phone 3D Glass Dual Sim 1GB RAM 8GB ROM Quad Core 1000mAh 3G CDMA Play Store Cute Cell Phone
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EHfhZHn

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Alternatively refuse to do work related stuff on your personal phone.

E: actually you should always do that regardless of if you get a second phone. I would never install an app for work on my phone. I don’t even do work email on my phone.

My work forces an Intune installation on any phone accessing work stuff. That allows them to do a remote wipe of the phone. No way was I using my personal phone for that, which is why everyone at my work has 2 phones (work phone supplied by the company, so can't grumble about that)

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

I've found that at work - fully remote workshop? All good. Same for fully on-site

Big hybrid workshop - absolute poo poo show

And the thing is, you will now never get a fully on-site one. There will always be a be a few people who are remote that day. So all on-site workshops are now a poo poo show by default

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

If you google “ai playground goatse” and click on images, there’s a few entries on the PlaygroundAI website by user “N-word Balls” that shows a pretty convincing goatse.

This is one of the worst things I've read in my entire life

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

Now I want to ask it a bunch of questions like this and then build a tabletop RPG combat system off of the answers.

I'll write the wiki!

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Has no one realised what page we're on

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

There's no one here you could describe as "a kid", though, let's be honest

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Topless Page 3 was an institution in the UK, and it was a cause for great gnashing of teeth across the nation when it was stopped

It may still exist in the Daily Star, but no way am I picking that up to check

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yup! BTW, a couple of years back, thousands of bottles of wine, including winemakers' "libraries" (bottles from all their vintages, for comparison) were lost when a customer set fire to another company's warehouse in order to hide his wine forgery.

At least they must have been insured?

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That doesn't actually matter for a wine library. The point of a library (apart from showing off rare bottles to special customers) is so that you can crack open a bottle and say "Okay, the 2015 was really tannic when we bottled it, but it's awesome now, so we shouldn't worry about that in the next high-tannin year." (Making this up because I know nothing of winemaking.) When a vineyard loses its library, it's losing half its winemaking records.

Well I've learned something today, thank you :)

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Estate Agents and Recruiters love leaving voicemails, when I ignore the call from some random number

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Professor Beetus posted:

You should be able to do a chat with "yourself" which includes being able to test your a/v setup.

You can also do this, present a slide deck, hit record, and you've got yourself a nice training video to stick on Confluence

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

poo poo, Mali is the place to be if you're a spy, eh

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

How many spiders the average person eats a year in their sleep is another good one

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

We do decimal hours and it's all performative

No one is actually working on what they say they are - it's a game where whatever you estimated initially is the exact amount of time your team will book to that project over the financial year

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

I'd struggle to walk in a pair of slippers 5 sizes too big, so well done for that, I guess

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

What the hell, France?

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Mega Comrade posted:

Complete agreement.
AI as a useful tool isn't really a problem in itself. But it's being marketed as this do it all human replacement with slick Microsoft ads glossing over it's issues. The hype is insane.

These gotcha questions are something I share around a lot, not to try and stop people using AI, but to remind people it's incredibly fallible and to check anything and everything that comes out of it. We have lost 4 Devs over the last few months and none of them have been replaced with the CEO convinced we can just "make it up with AI", he'd completely swallowed the hype.

Its finally dawning on him that this isn't working but only as we a slipping further and further from targets that we were smashing before.

Can I just ask - what is the CEO's directive? Have they just said "use AI" and waved their hands, or have they articulated how?

IE - all Devs to use GitHub Copilot, with paid for licenses, or something?

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Vegetable posted:

I recall the Wolfram Alpha guy saying that OpenAI should just staple Wolfram Alpha to ChatGPT to solve math problems. I wonder why they don’t just do that.

I don't think he's saying it'll be free for them

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Staluigi posted:

the whole purpose of a cabover is to maximize cargo sizes where there's laws that explicitly limit total trailer + vehicle length restrictions, and the resulting structure of a cabover is entirely in service of that sacrifice. if you don't HAVE to keep the tractor trailer constrained to a low overall length because of those legal limitations on the total combo length, there's no engineering recommendation for the resulting shape, you'd build it engine out front

but as explained the cabover does have a niche, and its to maximize cargo sizes within a limited total length, or arguably (in a minority of cases) increase tight maneuverability in really twisty city conditions or something. so i respect that, you build to purpose. bam, now you have a box where the driver's cabin is elevated up over the engine. the resulting machine has a much tighter wheelbase where you're perched right over the front axle, and this design makes the road way rougher on the driver no matter what kind of air ride you're packing your rear end on, and your seating position is bunched way tighter to the front of the cab, so it's really just not as comfortable. at all

also, the engine is now jammed right up cozy into the cabin frame underneath you and unless you're running a very new, very properly insulated kenworth or something, promises of equivalent noise levels are a lie and everything's loudier and more vibrationalizatedeter (shut up, i'm declaring these to be scientific terms now) all the time, which matters a lot to the quality of your working hours but matters even more for any drivers keeping their engine running after they hit the hos or duty limit, which is basically 100% of the time for truckers operating in hard cold conditions, who need idle engine for AC, or are running reefer. even a slightly louder cabin hurts your quality of life pretty heavy because for otr or regional haulers it's your house and office most of the time, and at least as far as i hear it, these are a lot more than slightly louder for drivers chilling out in their sleeper

add on top of that how much less room you got in a cabover just for living and moving around and its just not a favorable comparison of miseries for long hauler types. it just comes down to that unless you're a day cab guy, your cabin is the vast majority of your life. and anything which cuts into the comfort level of that environment has its effect heavily multiplied by all the skillions of hours you're living and working out of it so things like "there's not even enough room in here for a microwave or standing up straight" or "do i really have to tip my entire living room up on its nose every time to do my pretrip inspection, like how does this actually work" or "i feel kind of a lil bit nervous basically being my truck's crumple zone lol" really add up and matter

Thank you, this was a very interesting read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Owling Howl posted:

How many of Alphabets skunkworks projects have actually turned into something useful?

I'm sure the last successful one was Gmail