Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm drawing a total blank. Which Rogerses?

probably the Canadian ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Yeah, that's not what a 'buyout' is.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Circling back to startups, though, what happens when you come up with a new data processing technology and want to set up a company? If you were working in Python, you'd just keep doing what you were doing, but with Matlab suddenly you're tens of thousands of dollars in the hole for the commercial license (for the base product; LOL if you depend on any extensions or toolboxes) before you've even started recruiting more people.

shrike82 posted:

I can speak for finance (as an industry) and data science (as a vocation) but Matlab’s becoming increasingly irrelevant with most shops shifting wholly to a stack with R or Python.

It’d be interesting to read a post-mortem on Matlab’s business model - they did the usual Windows/Photoshop thing of getting their claws into you in college with student licenses and people ask to use them at work, but I wonder what uptake is at colleges these days v OSS equivalents.

If you're doing anything at scale or 'in production' you definitely aren't using Matlab and depending on the scale you might be trying to steer away from using R as well.

Matlab is more of an adhoc analysis tool, similar to how a lot of people use RStudio or iPython notebooks. (reasonably) Good for finding insights, very bad for automation.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

prisoner of waffles posted:

s/aren't/shouldn't be/, but I agree strongly.

Due to lock-in and very constrained interop options, I've written production Matlab.

And am probably going to hell for it, lol.

shrike82 posted:

I’ve helped to build trading systems on top of Matlab.
People build production systems using jury-rigged poo poo all the time, no surprises there.

I stand both corrected and horrified.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Weed Wolf posted:

Good Guy Tech does it again!

also Kelly Ellis is a cool ex-Googler who's done a lot of work pulling the curtains back on the misogyny in the Google space. might also be a goon, i cant remember

Google 'segregates' women into lower-paying jobs, stifling careers, lawsuit says

There are a lot of things that they focus on in that article that are actually pretty reasonable in context.

quote:

When Ellis was hired in 2010 as a software engineer for Google Photos, the company placed her into a “Level 3” position typically assigned to new college graduates, according to the suit.

Several weeks later, Google hired a male software engineer, who graduated the same year as Ellis, into a “Level 4” position on her team, the complaint said. Level 4 engineers “receive substantially higher salary and opportunities for bonuses, raises, and equity”, her lawyers wrote.

She worked at a bunch of companies that were substantially worse/lower-compensating than Google for short periods of time prior to joining. You generally won't get very much credit for that in terms of leveling. Conversely someone that went to e.g. MIcrosoft or Amazon for 4 years straight out of school almost certainly would have been leveled at 4. Google is notoriously harder on leveling than other peer companies -- a friend of mine who recently got an offer from just about every unicorn/major public tech company got senior (5) level offers from all of them except for Google and one other, and was unable to use those other offers (we're talking Uber, Lyft, Dropbox, etc) to negotiate for a better offer.

In terms of advancement at Google she went from 3 to 5 (senior) in 4 years -- that's fairly fast, almost certainly faster than the average. Some superstars get promoted once per year but a promotion every other year is very respectable. For all I know she was the best person on her team and mediocre performers got promoted over her, but in a vacuum there is nothing particularly strange or concerning about that rate of promotion.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

nice to see some good ndt tweets for a change

Not him

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

blowfish posted:

If you invest a hundred million into Tesla it's not because you want the stock to go up 3.5% per year over the next 20 years. You want it to be worth a hundred billion when Elon Musk somehow becomes the god king of car manufacturing and Tesla obsoletes every other car manufacturer in the world or, more likely (and thinking that you're a smarter investor than everyone else), sell it to someone else who wants a hundred billion for a few billion when you realise Elon Musk will not become the god king of car manufacturing and Tesla won't obsolete every other car manufacturer in the world.

It's worth noting that this describes a lot of other tech investments -- Uber, Airbnb (both pre-IPO but still), bitcoin, even Amazon, etc.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

But I guess the risk is limited to the money you put into it. No?

If you don't know how a short works you shouldn't consider shorting anything.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Polygynous posted:

I think this thread is the first I ever heard of the Snap Spectacles thing and it's the funniest thing ever.

Like for an art project or something it's pretty cool but they bet the loving company on this crazy thing basically and :lol:

I like laughing at Snapchat as much as the next person but that's really not at all true. It was a moderate sized bet at best.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

they weren't operating below cost and wouldn't be operating below cost. this has already been pointed out to you.

patreon is extra bad because they did a massive round of vc funding when they were operating at a profit. they have no reason to upscale operations.

Do you have any evidence that this is the case? Because if their numbers are anywhere near the ones reported here there is no way in hell they are anywhere near profitable.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

nerdz posted:

but lol if they are thinking of anything besides "brown people get out"

Well yeah, it basically only affects Indians (and some Chinese) because of green card processing times and how they differ from (birth) country to country. Someone from Germany or Canada or South Korea can get a green card in a few months, but if you're from India the processing time is 10+ years meaning people are forced to go through this loophole after their first 6 years of H-1B.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

suck my woke dick posted:

Yeah if I made a product I would immediately sell for any offer over a bil no matter how much I like owning it. Probably also way lower prices in reality.

People who say they would sell at a billion would have also sold long before they ever got to a billion in the first place.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Effing Excel is safety-critical by any reasonable standard because of the enormous number of spreadsheets being used to control (for instance) health decisions.

On that note: https://genomebiology.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13059-016-1044-7

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

We need a new poll on whether Tesla or Uber dies first.

The smart money here would bet on 'car company that is very bad at actually having cars roll off their production line'.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Dinosaurtrain posted:

I can't stop seeing the dumbest poo poo on my linkedin feed about AI this and AI that. I really hope this article helps staunch the flow of that dumb marketing poo poo.

This is much more academic pettiness or bitterness than a reasoned critique of AI research.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Dinosaurtrain posted:

Someone at google came up with a parlour trick where a computer can order you food. How is this sentience?

It's not. But judging AI research by some project that probably a couple dozen engineers at Google are working on, rather than the entirety of the field, is really dumb.

The paragraph where it becomes clear that the authors have an agenda is the one beginning "So what should the field of artificial intelligence do instead?". The fields of AI and ML went a very different direction than the way these researchers wanted it to go. This direction was generally incredibly successful in terms of commercial applications, and as a result that direction is unlikely to change much. So instead they wrote a pissy straw man op-ed in the NYT. That's about it.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Why do people believe that Uber is actually in bad financial shape?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

"Sushi chef scenario" is a real thing said a lot about employee options.

Nevermind that the case it refers to was convincing someone to close their own restaurant

It’s “Google chef scenario” or similar.