Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

The leaked slides from the last funding round showed uber burned through $700 million in Q3 of 2015 alone.

I know the answer will be the founders blowing money on themselves at an amazing rate but what in the hell could Uber waste that much money on? They don't supply their drivers with anything so what are they dropping near a billion dollars on? Do car mustaches just cost that much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Welcome to bitcoin where the currency’s made up and value doesn’t matter

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

TheHeadSage posted:

The bitcoin crash is going to be amazing. What are the odds it happens before christmas?

It won't because it's propped up by True Believers but there's no way to actually get that money of it's stated value out of Bitcoin. Bitcoin gets it value from true believers stating bitcoins are worth a certain price then trading bitcoins back and forth with each other who also agree it's worth a certain value. Meanwhile it's nearly impossible to cash out on Bitcoin in any meaningful way and the exchanges every few months will get hacked or misplace tens of millions of dollars worth of bitcoins. It's literally the same concept of a child on a playground with made up money declaring it's worth a bazillion real dollars and all their friends agreeing

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Polygynous posted:

cool

what does that mean, like, in the real world

On paper there are people who are worth a lot of money to those who believe in bitcoin

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

was the guy able to cash out at least.

Yes but only because there was a concentrated effort to buy all his bitcoins by the true believers. If they didn’t bitcoin would’ve crashed completely. A good and stable market is one in which everyone has to buy someone’s else’s stuff when they decide to sell or else everyone’s stuff becomes worthless. CURRENCY OF THE FUTURE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I’m looking for a challenge at this point :smug: If I fail I just impact what? A few tens of thousands of life’s and a major US cities ability to function? What’s the worse that could happen!