Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Ragg posted:

Tiles ftw.

tiles are epic. but libcot whatever just looks like ascii, while actually being tiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

mysterious loyall X posted:

oh yeah sil is really good http://www.amirrorclear.net/flowers/game/sil/ his a nice skill tree system and neat chracters, and comparatively short. alright.

But does it have tiles.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

tiles are epic. but libcot whatever just looks like ascii, while actually being tiles.

That's stupid.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
That's good that its middle arth flavored.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Ragg posted:

But does it have tiles.

i don't think so, unless someone has smad e some

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

i don't think so, unless someone has smad e some

Sigh...

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
868-Hack and Hoplite are actual good short roguelikes.

Sproggiwood is good. Caves of Qud, by the same devs, isn't finished, but it's a lot of fun and very distinctive.

People call Invisible Inc. a 'roguelite', and it is extremely good, so you should play that if you haven't.

Those are all of the good roguelikes that weren't mentioned already.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Ragg posted:

Are those good.

There fairly deece. I can imagine you loving them, or just hating them frankly.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
A tolkien roguelike but instead of ascii roman characters its dwarven runes

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
are there cyrillic roguelikes :stare:

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Wormskull posted:

There fairly deece. I can imagine you loving them, or just hating them frankly.

lol.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
I played that game academagia which is kinda like that or maybe it isnt. Anyway I pirated it and it was justified cuz black chicken studios took my 5 bucks and didnt give me a holdfast app.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oh yeah sil is really good http://www.amirrorclear.net/flowers/game/sil/ his a nice skill tree system and neat chracters, and comparatively short. alright.

This is what I was talking about

Dec 26, 2012

3rding this

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

looks cool but haven't played too many ASCII games so I might have to practice here. don't some old-school roguelikes have simple fan-made graphics pages, or would i bring shame to my house by using one?

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Downwell, OP.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

C-Euro posted:

looks cool but haven't played too many ASCII games so I might have to practice here. don't some old-school roguelikes have simple fan-made graphics pages, or would i bring shame to my house by using one?

Some rogue likes have tiles check out Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Dungeon Crawl Stone Poop.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I still haven't actually beaten Dungeon Crawl but you can have a lot of fun and challenging strategy in 20 minutes or so with it, IMO. It also has the most stuff you can do which is nice, although its kinda gay that playing a melee fighter of some type and picking up magic is usually the way to go.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

I don't get the hate for rogue legacy, it was okay. But if you want a real roguelike you kinda have to play dungeon crawl stone soup. If you play the web tiles version online you can post your id here and we can all laugh when the slime dungeon kills you in 3 turns

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

a few Crawl webtiles servers, I think s-z is the most popular but you should see which one you have the best connection to

http://crawl.s-z.org/#lobby
http://crawl.akrasiac.org:8080/#lobby
http://crawl.berotato.org:8080/#lobby

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jerkops posted:

I don't get the hate for rogue legacy, it was okay. But if you want a real roguelike you kinda have to play dungeon crawl stone soup. If you play the web tiles version online you can post your id here and we can all laugh when the slime dungeon kills you in 3 turns

Fursonally I felt that specific origins could counter the bosses specifically so I would just reroll dudes until I got a certain origin and then fight the boss, which was lame.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

How about Dwarf Fortress, OP?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

How about Dwarf Fortress, OP?

lmao

Crown Face
Sep 24, 2008
Elona is an interesting one that I keep trying out every few years.

There's no permadeath so the barrier of entry doesn't feel as high as stuff like IVAN, especially because it's a totally graphical UI, but it's super dense and the huge race / class / skill system is pretty cool.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Elona has a lot of cool stuff in it but is also super weird sometimes in a bad way

If you're gonna play it play Elona+: http://elona.wikia.com/wiki/Elona%2B

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

playing spelunky..on 1-1 a giant ghost appeared and i couldnt do anything to it. on 1-2 i got owned by a giant spider. i really like the feel of this though

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

playing spelunky..on 1-1 a giant ghost appeared and i couldnt do anything to it. on 1-2 i got owned by a giant spider. i really like the feel of this though
The ghost shows up if you take too long, just like Baron von Blubba.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Go into the options and switch to the pro HUD or whatever it's called, it'll give you more useful information, like a visible clock showing you how long you've been in a level.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
You can kill the ghost if you're insane enough.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Doctor Goat posted:

You can kill the ghost if you're insane enough.
Only in very specific situations, and not in most levels. It is not useful advice.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

The ghost shows up if you take too long, just like Baron von Blubba.

figured it was something like that. gave me those slenderman feels :gonk:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

risk of rain review

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

oh there is a zoom option lmao this is much better

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the music is beautiful

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

The music in risk of rain is easily the best thing about it imo. Also I don't think it really counts as a roguelike because the levels are all static

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the exits and stuff you get are randomly generated, i also think ive seen some slight differences in the terrain and stuff. i like this though it's fun. i killed the boss and was immediately murdered by a minion

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
i mostly played risk of rain in co-op, and the co-op is very badly designed, so i don't like it very much. didn't have much fun when I tried singleplayer either. the class designs were cool, though

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Sunless Sea is fun if you like piloting boats with an option for cannabalism

• Locked thread