Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

C-Euro posted:

looks cool but haven't played too many ASCII games so I might have to practice here. don't some old-school roguelikes have simple fan-made graphics pages, or would i bring shame to my house by using one?

some do. crawl and adom have really nice tilesets. i don't think sil does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Larry Parrish posted:

I still haven't actually beaten Dungeon Crawl but you can have a lot of fun and challenging strategy in 20 minutes or so with it, IMO. It also has the most stuff you can do which is nice, although its kinda gay that playing a melee fighter of some type and picking up magic is usually the way to go.

the way to go is to pick a deep elf xelementalist and blast everyone with fire/ice/air/earth to win

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

im really enjoying risk of rain a lot lol thanks synthy for recommending it

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i just wish you moved like..50% faster

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Ragg posted:

You can try uhh FTL.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

I found ftl really boring after the first play through, once you know the encounters it gets to the point where there are only two options, the right one and the wrong one, and beyond that the game lets you win or lose based entirely on rng

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Jerkops posted:

the game lets you win or lose based entirely on rng

lol

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Jerkops posted:

I found ftl really boring after the first play through, once you know the encounters it gets to the point where there are only two options, the right one and the wrong one, and beyond that the game lets you win or lose based entirely on rng

you are wrong, and retarded, but i don't care enough about FTL or you to explain why.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

in binding of isaac sometimes the RNG decides i should get soy milk and i lose. game's bullshit and bad!!!

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

it just seemed like too many of my ships died unavoidably because the right encounter never popped up. Maybe they fixed that in the free enhanced update which I never played,on the other hand maybe I just suck at ftl

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

im really enjoying risk of rain a lot lol thanks synthy for recommending it

Bobnumerotres posted:

i just wish you moved like..50% faster

there are movement speed items in the game to help with that & glad you enjoy :cheers:

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
tower of guns is good for quick runs. pixel dungeon is good for gaming on the go

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
adom

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Bobnumerotres posted:

in binding of isaac sometimes the RNG decides i should get soy milk and i lose. game's bullshit and bad!!!

There are synergies for soy milk, there's no way to mitigate never getting fuel in ftl

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
crypt of the necrodancer op

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

frank.club posted:

crypt of the necrodancer op

i actually got this and while i love the music i dont like the actual game much lol

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
it took me like 20 minutes to get tired of necrodancer.. it's a cool concept but what you see is what you get and once the novelty wears off its just not very engaging

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Jerkops posted:

There are synergies for soy milk, there's no way to mitigate never getting fuel in ftl

can't you just like... buy fuel.......

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

rediscover posted:

it took me like 20 minutes to get tired of necrodancer.. it's a cool concept but what you see is what you get and once the novelty wears off its just not very engaging

did you even reach zone 2?

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

can't you just like... buy fuel.......

christ, here come the min maxing games spergs

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

PleasingFungus posted:

did you even reach zone 2?

i got really close to the end. 20 minutes is a bit hyperbolic i played it for a few hours

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

it gets old fast and theres like 12 enemies 4 of which are palette swaps. good cute idea but not worth buying

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
risk of rain is a lot better with artifact of glass on

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Huntress is my favorite character, but it's too bad the other unlockable classes are rear end, for the most part

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I think Acrid is cool.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

necrodancer is really good on the real mode where u clear all areas with 3 hearts freaking iditos. die!

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Huntress is the best character. Commando's not bad.

Acrid is incredible if it gets some items real early on but it's rear end otherwise

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Sunless Sea is fun if you like piloting boats with an option for cannabalism

not even close idiot

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

sunless sea is a slow badly made pile of trash and i'm mad that i played 2'05" on it the day before refunds came out

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Do you like piloting boats? Do you like drawing lots to see which crew member gets eaten? I'll admit that's a pretty niche audience there but it serves them well

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

combat sucks and you can't explore bbecause anything ohter than incremental exploration will run you out of resources and you'll die. the only way to make the game not complete garbage is to go in and edit the game files to make the resource management inconsequential. it's a pile of poo poo

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i like sid meirs pirates

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

One Way Heroics is a good game and goes on sale for a dollar pretty often.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Risk of Rain is really fun and I'm gonna reinstall it

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Huntress is my favorite character, but it's too bad the other unlockable classes are rear end, for the most part

mercenary or w/e the name of the sword guy is, is really good. the poison alien and the guy with multiple kinds of jump are also good. huntress is completely overpowered, and fun

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Fungah! posted:

combat sucks and you can't explore bbecause anything ohter than incremental exploration will run you out of resources and you'll die. the only way to make the game not complete garbage is to go in and edit the game files to make the resource management inconsequential. it's a pile of poo poo

there's one of the islands fairly close to london that can give you tons of free resources and makes the resource management mostly inconsequential anyway. but i understand getting fed up with the game if you never find out about that

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Fungah! posted:

You can run to the far edge of the map and back even with the starter boat and having your spotlight blaring 24/7

And if you turn the spotlight off it halves your fuel consumption

I was really hoping you'd be able to handle the responsibility of piloting your own chug boat but it looks like it was too soon

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

sunless sea doesnt really fit the op's desire for a relatively quick roguelike at all, though, so i dont know why people are talking about it. i guess this is the roguelike thread now. or the games with permadeath thread. or whatever

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Dark SOuls II, Bloodborne and Lords of the Fallen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm playing crawl again. Good game IMO. It's fun to play a mage and completely ignore all survivability in favor of more and more spells.

Probably my favorite is to play a hill orc of Beogh and be Orc Jesus

• Locked thread