Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

Probably my favorite is to play a hill orc of Beogh and be Orc Jesus
This used to be my favorite, but that was like two years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I like goofy classes like the old Crawl class with potion distillation.

ToME had a class that could make super overpowered grenades and they ruled. Angband clones all had this mode where it only generated high level stuff and the alchemist class was the only one I could play it with.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

alchmists were badass and my 2nd ascension

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

new versions of crawl are a bit rear end but maybe not if you're new to the game and haven't played 300 million hours of it over 5 years or so

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Bobnumerotres posted:

it gets old fast and theres like 12 enemies 4 of which are palette swaps. good cute idea but not worth buying

i don't understand how a human being can be so wrong.

most of the 'palette swaps' have fundamentally different behavior, and even if you don't count them [though you should], there's something like 50 different enemy types. it's a seriously amazing game and probably my second-favorite one of 2015.

ridiculous... the self-ownage on display here...

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

mysterious loyall X posted:

new versions of crawl are a bit rear end but maybe not if you're new to the game and haven't played 300 million hours of it over 5 years or so

what's the assiness coming from, in your opinion?

Dec 26, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

lack of potion grenades

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

01011001 posted:

lack of potion grenades

can't argue with that.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

PleasingFungus posted:

the dev team has been agressively removing a lot of strategic stuff and removing features to balance a single player roguelike. they've also done some good stuff like redesign some areas and add some cool new monsters, so whatever

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
oh yeah Invisible Inc. is a really good game and its only $10 on steam right now

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

apropos to nothing posted:

oh yeah Invisible Inc. is a really good game and its only $10 on steam right now

yeah it's really fun

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
whoa I didn't even realize it had an expansion out, gonna buy it and play through the game again. hell yeah

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Huntress is my favorite character, but it's too bad the other unlockable classes are rear end, for the most part

Miner is really good. Me and my friend used to speedrun the game and our fastest ever time on monsoon was with huntress/miner. We finished in around 22 minutes.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

apropos to nothing posted:

whoa I didn't even realize it had an expansion out, gonna buy it and play through the game again. hell yeah

the expansion is really good. it adds a ton of new stuff to the game including a new mission at the end of the 72 hours

after that you get another 48 hours before the final mission

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Adlai Stevenson posted:

You can run to the far edge of the map and back even with the starter boat and having your spotlight blaring 24/7

And if you turn the spotlight off it halves your fuel consumption

I was really hoping you'd be able to handle the responsibility of piloting your own chug boat but it looks like it was too soon

un;less they've changed a lot of poo poo since i played it that's only if you already know wahat you're doing and where to get get fuel or food along the way or ddon't care about anything except getting to the edge of the world and back. i don't know, maybe they did make the game not utter trash, but i'm not holding my loving breath.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Fungah! posted:

un;less they've changed a lot of poo poo since i played it that's only if you already know wahat you're doing and where to get get fuel or food along the way or ddon't care about anything except getting to the edge of the world and back. i don't know, maybe they did make the game not utter trash, but i'm not holding my loving breath.

*people that were nodding their head in contemplation/agreement start looking uncomfortable and leaving the room*

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

net cafe scandal posted:

*people that were nodding their head in contemplation/agreement start looking uncomfortable and leaving the room*

lol

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Robot Randy posted:

pixel dungeon is good for gaming on the go

I wanted to like that game but i had like 20 runs that never made it past the second floor and i feel like even for a roguelike that's hell of dumb

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mysterious loyall X posted:

the dev team has been agressively removing a lot of strategic stuff and removing features to balance a single player roguelike. they've also done some good stuff like redesign some areas and add some cool new monsters, so whatever

Yeah. I have no idea why Healer and Priest got removed, especially the Hill Orc Priest thing where you start worshipping Beogh. Sure, nobody ever plays Healer or Priest... So why bother removing it, exactly?? Chaos Knight still exists even though nobody plays it except as a joke. Abyssal Knight is almost as bad.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Crawl is good, but ToME 4 is excellent. peace

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Crawl is good, but ToME 4 is excellent. peace

Peace.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Check out teleglitch if you like those kind of actiony roguelikes.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

Yeah. I have no idea why Healer and Priest got removed, especially the Hill Orc Priest thing where you start worshipping Beogh. Sure, nobody ever plays Healer or Priest... So why bother removing it, exactly?? Chaos Knight still exists even though nobody plays it except as a joke. Abyssal Knight is almost as bad.

those got removed so that the gods (ely/zin) could be reworked to be useful & fun to worship as a normal character. No one would pick up ely later because, hey, if I wanted to play an ely char, I'd start as one! And also because she was a weird fiddly god. Now it's a more reasonable thing to do to pick up ely or zin or w/e in the course of play, and there are more characters who have to make that interesting choice of "oh, do I take this early altar, do I skip it and wait for temple, who do I take there..." which is a fun set of choices to make, and one that adds variety to your games.

generally when there's talk about "balancing a single-player roguelike" there's a misunderstanding of what's going on. it's not for some e-sports competitive bullshit - the races and backgrounds are not at all balanced, and that's fine. it's an attempt to let the game give more interesting choices. to not let things degenerate into every character using the same dominant god-strategy or w/e. since that's boring

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 8, 2016

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Larry Parrish posted:

abyssal knight is very strong, a good start for ne1. u get free blink, a skill that basically one shots a lot of stuff, the best escape skill in the game, a way to sequence break rune vault levels, and early access to distortion weaps although it takes awhile to find a good weapon to put the brand on, and a free rune basically.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

PleasingFungus posted:

those got removed so that the gods (ely/zin) could be reworked to be useful & fun to worship as a normal character. No one would pick up ely later because, hey, if I wanted to play an ely char, I'd start as one! And also because she was a weird fiddly god. Now it's a more reasonable thing to do to pick up ely or zin or w/e in the course of play, and there are more characters who have to make that interesting choice of "oh, do I take this early altar, do I skip it and wait for temple, who do I take there..." which is a fun set of choices to make, and one that adds variety to your games.

generally when there's talk about "balancing a single-player roguelike" there's a misunderstanding of what's going on. it's not for some e-sports competitive bullshit - the races and backgrounds are not at all balanced, and that's fine. it's an attempt to let the game give more interesting choices. to not let things degenerate into every character using the same dominant god-strategy or w/e. since that's boring

they keep removing all the choices :p mostly in the realm of spells tho and some other crap. the god revamps have mostly been good imo.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

ely was a fuckin chore to play as before they revamped her, but now she's still a chore to play as.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

zin kicks rear end though and making it so you can move while reciting a few versions is ftw.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

i like Risk of Rain but it seems to be very hit or miss among gamers

Risk of Rain is insanely sick and the back flipping sniper rules

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Risk of Rain is also probably the most similar to Isaac in that the runs are defined by which items you pick up and how they synergize with your character rather than rpg mechanics or platforming

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

C-Euro posted:

I wanted to like that game but i had like 20 runs that never made it past the second floor and i feel like even for a roguelike that's hell of dumb

a lot of the combat revolves around the fact that you get a free attack when enemies open doors, so most encounters start out with the gameplay equivalent of :yikes:. after you beat the second boss with a class you start out with an item that enhances your class in one of two ways

theres also a few rooms on the first section that are certain death, you just have to learn to leave the loot behind

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PleasingFungus posted:

Yeah except now if I want to play those gods, I have to rely on the RNG, instead of starting with the god I want to play, but having shittier stats, skills, and gear in return. Today I got to Dungeon 8 before a priest spawned when I wanted to go Beogh. Lol. I still don't understand how removing underused starts is a good thing but whatever. Like when they removed the regular dwarf race or whatever it was like 10 versions ago because it was almost the same as Human. Who cares, leave it.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

The regular dwarf race was way better than a human start cuz they had really good aptitudes in like everything. I guess they added minotaurs and gargoyles to make up for it tho. ...

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
i'm gonna take this to PMs and stop making GBS threads up the OP's thread with dcss design talk. sorry. i knew this would happen...

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

PleasingFungus posted:

i'm gonna take this to PMs and stop making GBS threads up the OP's thread with dcss design talk. sorry. i knew this would happen...

It's not illegal to post about gamethoughts in the lowercase game forum. Hell - I enjoy it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sorry folks - accidentally made it seem like somebody posted in this forum. I'll see you all in the IRC.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

Sorry folks - accidentally made it seem like somebody posted in this forum. I'll see you all in the IRC.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

thanks to this thread i got risk of rain, spelunky, and FTL. i dont understand half the poo poo you guys are talking about with crawl but it sounds like a complex game

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

It's not illegal to post about gamethoughts in the lowercase game forum. Hell - I enjoy it.

ok. here's the thing I sent, more or less.

Larry Parrish posted:

Yeah except now if I want to play those gods, I have to rely on the RNG, instead of starting with the god I want to play, but having shittier stats, skills, and gear in return. Today I got to Dungeon 8 before a priest spawned when I wanted to go Beogh. Lol.
it's not like beogh would have been helping you much before you started running into orcs! the only difference would've been that you got a little more beogh piety earlier. that doesn't seem like a huge deal?

the current rule for design starts is 'does the god have a really significant impact from the start of the game?' trog does, obviously. ditto xom. lugonu is sort of borderline, but the starting abyss gimmick is neat. the other god starts - zin, yred, beogh, tso, kiku* - really didn't have a big impact at the start of the game. so why have a start that removes one of the big interesting strategic choices ("who do I worship?") for an otherwise-generic experience?

in the end, this is a roguelike. you also have to rely on the rng for the weapons, armour, etc you want to find. the difference is that your god is guaranteed to show up eventually (all the gods but jivya/lugonu/beogh will show up by d:9), but if you're fixed on playing some specific god, you may have an easier or a harder time of it.

Larry Parrish posted:

I still don't understand how removing underused starts is a good thing but whatever. Like when they removed the regular dwarf race or whatever it was like 10 versions ago because it was almost the same as Human. Who cares, leave it.
it costs developer time and resources to keep maintaining a race. it's also limiting in terms of design, because making races distinct means reserving some traits for some races.

there were three very similar races (mountain dwarf, minotaur, hill orc); chopping one of them meant that the other two could be more distinctive and interesting without stepping on the others' toes. there's an explanation about this from the time, which you should probably read if you haven't.

*ely was a distinctive start, but people really, really disliked it for reasons I'm not getting into here. so ely got redesigned to be more fun, and became a god that didn't make as much sense to start with.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

In Training posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

In Training posted:

• Locked thread