Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

In Training posted:

Sorry folks - accidentally made it seem like somebody posted in this forum. I'll see you all in the IRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

thanks to this thread i got risk of rain, spelunky, and FTL. i dont understand half the poo poo you guys are talking about with crawl but it sounds like a complex game
I've played like 20-30 hours of Crawl and I don't either lol

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I've played like 20-30 hours of Crawl and I don't either lol

it's basically an argument over whether stuff that was removed five years ago should've been, if that helps.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I beat risk of rain and it was really fun and my guy was very overpowered

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

getting the item that adds perma HP upon enemy kills in the first level FTMFW

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

getting the item that adds perma HP upon enemy kills in the first level FTMFW

I got this in the second level and yeah it's great.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i got that and lifesteal and other crazy upgrades and i still die a lot. i am not good at this

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

i got that and lifesteal and other crazy upgrades and i still die a lot. i am not good at this

risk of rain makes you balance being thorough with going fast in a way that most games dont, like even ones that try to have time pressure. and which one you should focus more on is really dependent on your class and how well you're already doing

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Bobnumerotres posted:

thanks to this thread i got risk of rain, spelunky, and FTL. i dont understand half the poo poo you guys are talking about with crawl but it sounds like a complex game

did u try tower of guns

here's a vid i found of some dweeb playing it, hes not too good at it and doesnt use his mobility at all but he's not screeching over it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11xSRWqkm6c

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

just got it cause its also 3 dollars and i always want more fps

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i regret buying tower of guns..kind of feel like ziggurat does everything it does but way better and you can actually swap weapons while playing..you know..like every shooter ever. i wouldnt recommend it at all sorry randy

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

i regret buying tower of guns..kind of feel like ziggurat does everything it does but way better and you can actually swap weapons while playing..you know..like every shooter ever. i wouldnt recommend it at all sorry randy

did you actually like ziggurat? I wanted to but it never really clicked with me

tbh I only bought it because I confused with tim rogers' game...

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i enjoyed ziggurat a lot and was sad that there was just so little there.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Tower of Guns is really fun but I can see why u don't like it. The lack of weapon switching is a weird choice

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i saw every boss that could possibly roll in like 10 hours of play lol. maybe im just spoiled by binding of isaac though

well HECK Phil
Feb 25, 2010
Toilet Rascal
The only RL you should ever need is DoomRL. :colbert:

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Crawl is good, but ToME 4 is excellent. peace

Any thoughts on recent changes if I last played it a few years ago?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Not PC but Shiren the Wanderer 5 is coming out in the west and I've heard they're cool games, I'll prolly pick it up

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Brawler got an overhaul and is really good now

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Started Risk of Rain again to see if they made ladders less hosed up but it now just instantly crashes

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

PleasingFungus posted:

it costs developer time and resources to keep maintaining a race. it's also limiting in terms of design, because making races distinct means reserving some traits for some races.

wsn't dwarf just human with slightly different stats? that doesn't take developer time and resources, that takes defining a slightly different race and leaving it alone

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
Crawl, Sil, DoomRL, or Brogue OP.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

In Training posted:

Not PC but Shiren the Wanderer 5 is coming out in the west and I've heard they're cool games, I'll prolly pick it up

Just emulate the SNES one, it's the best of the series. It got a DS remake which you can emulate too but it has some changes people don't like.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Adlai Stevenson posted:

It's still a huge mess and always will be.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

That av is awesome.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

net cafe scandal posted:

That av is awesome.

I'm getting horned up just looking at it.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Doctor Goat posted:

wsn't dwarf just human with slightly different stats? that doesn't take developer time and resources, that takes defining a slightly different race and leaving it alone

as someone who has actually worked on the dcss codebase, I am going to say that you do not know what you are talking about, here. sorry.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

PleasingFungus posted:

as someone who has actually worked on the dcss codebase, I am going to say that you do not know what you are talking about, here. sorry.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
that's really weird. i don't understand why you'd code something with a lot of race-specific code if the race's only identifying feature is slightly different stats

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I miss swamp elves a lot more than mountain dwarves because there are already a bunch of strong melee races. Swamp elves were way more set up for hybrid play and mage-start->melee which is my preferred playstyle.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

lol

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

play ADOM

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

play ADOM

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Bobnumerotres posted:

it's real good but takes a while to learn

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
dcss is pretty easy to pick up, since it's just learning keyboard shortcuts at first, and the tutorial is absolutely perfect for that, you just might be a bit overwhelmed with all of the options you have, and you have to learn ALL THE poo poo before being able to manage your chances of survival

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

still gets me

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How about the original, and still the best roguelike: Nethack, OP? The Dev Team Thinks Of Every Thing.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Nethack actually updated recently which is mindblowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yup, when I saw that I was... well not "excited" but, interested, I guess. All it was is them rolling a bunch of third party quality-of-life patches into the official game. It took them 12 years to do that and it's still unmitigated AIDS.

• Locked thread