Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
This is happening much faster than I anticipated. You know it's bad when you can hear my annoying nervous laughter in the background. It never happened before BO2.

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Having no background music in a series that gave us Ariel's Lament and Ozar Midrashim isn't weird, it's loving criminal.

e: In better news, if anyone still feels like playing some LoK, they're dirt cheap on Steam during the current sale. I honestly consider SR1 and Defiance the ones that are still fun.
e2: Holy poo poo, I finally realized what the "you're only fighting what you're locked on to" thing reminded me so heavily of: combat in AssCreed!
Blood Omen 2: An Influential Game.
eIswearthelastone: Umah seems pretty gothy to me.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 11, 2016

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

This game definitely looks way worse than I remember. The lack of background music just makes it look even more boring. There definitely needed to be some more ambiance, even something like wind blowing in the background like the old Thief games do would be a huge improvement.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

anilEhilated posted:

Having no background music in a series that gave us Ariel's Lament and Ozar Midrashim isn't weird, it's loving criminal.

e: In better news, if anyone still feels like playing some LoK, they're dirt cheap on Steam during the current sale. I honestly consider SR1 and Defiance the ones that are still fun.
e2: Holy poo poo, I finally realized what the "you're only fighting what you're locked on to" thing reminded me so heavily of: combat in AssCreed!
Blood Omen 2: An Influential Game.
eIswearthelastone: Umah seems pretty gothy to me.

Well, the combat thing isn't entirely true: in Assassin's Creed anyone would attack you, it just never felt like it because you just killed everything with counters up until Unity.
In Unity you're you can only really fight up to two enemies, if there are more your best bet is running the hell away

Jim Flatline
Sep 23, 2015
No it's definitely portculis.

NOTE: the defining factor is that it's lowered between grooves.

There's a 1.02 patch if you're not running 1.02.

Jim Flatline fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 12, 2016

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I'm running 1.02, so it's not that, unfortunately

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
There is some quiet ambient industrial BGM going on in some the areas before (and after) this - it might be an oversight. :shrug:

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Blood Omen 2 is both fascinating and disappointing so far. On one hand I kinda like the story direction and am curious to see how this will tie in to the rest of the series. On the other hand that character design is so bad I want to cry. Bishōnen Kain is not right and I refuse to accept that pauldron on any grounds.

Also, any time that battle music comes up this is all I can think off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjCKnOAiTsg

Intensely creepy video apparently, I had never seen it before.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Alexeythegreat posted:

I'm running 1.02, so it's not that, unfortunately

Someone on the GOG forums said it'll stutter and eventually crash if you have more than 4Gb of RAM for some reason. You can apparently reduce the frequency of the crashes by setting your processor affinity to just one core but it'll still inevitably happen.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Figured this BO2 promotion art was relevant for today:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Just want everyone to know that the thread is not yet dead and it's not a month long break like with BO1. The updates will resume on the weekend. I just had a lot of recordings and rerecordings and even a rererecording, and, of course, I did it all by the time long after Zain and I had the time to record the commentary (we do live on the different ends of the planet, after all :v:). I'm working on a backlog of videos now so that this does not happen again, and also on a different LP because I have time to burn

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Alexeythegreat posted:

Just want everyone to know that the thread is not yet dead and it's not a month long break like with BO1. The updates will resume on the weekend. I just had a lot of recordings and rerecordings and even a rererecording, and, of course, I did it all by the time long after Zain and I had the time to record the commentary (we do live on the different ends of the planet, after all :v:). I'm working on a backlog of videos now so that this does not happen again, and also on a different LP because I have time to burn

I don't think anyone following this series will ever fault you for delaying your next prolonged experience with the game for as long as humanly possible.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I am broken.
Zain is also broken.
You will be broken too.
Just you wait.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Note: this is not actually a part where we are broken, not yet. But soon.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Is it just me or does Kain's informant have Huge Anime Eyes (TM)?

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Alexey, why not add your own music tracks. There's more than 5 hours of soundtracks in the Legacy of Kain series, so might as well just insert those in.

Or you could just add elevator music in; that's what I did.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
It would take away from an authentic no-GMO Blood Omen 2 experience, which is what I aim to share.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Alexeythegreat posted:

It would take away from an authentic no-GMO Blood Omen 2 experience, which is what I aim to share.

You are a madman and a maniac!

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
After watching that bullshit with the green-powered cranks or whatever that was, I think it would be instructive to take a moment to remind ourselves what the requirements are for something to be considered a puzzle.

puz·zle
ˈpəzəl

a game, toy, or problem designed to test ingenuity or knowledge.

So if it tests patience, perseverance, or tolerance for repeated, minor annoyances, it is not a puzzle! Do you hear me devs? Of course you don't!

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I am demented, yes.

The actual puzzles are even worse than that crap we saw there (I don't mean any specific crap, I mean any one of them)

I just remembered another thing: this game is insanely long. It's definitely longer than BO1, and that one wasn't exactly short either

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's not as much long as slooooooooooooooooooow.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
But what defines the length of a game? Is it not the amount of time it takes to beat? But then, is it not insane to estimate length in temporal measurements? I mean, when we say that a game is long, we do mean that it takes a long time to beat. But that makes no sense, length is not a measure of time. Time is measure of time. So, maybe I should measure the length of the game in the amount of distance covered? But it's a game, I don't cover any distance, I sit on my rear end while hitting keys on a keyboard. Do I measure the amount of distance that Kain's model makes? No, probably not, we don't even know how we would then convert the virtual distances into real ones, we don't know how literal all the measurements are in the game. Or in any game, for that matter. So, we're back to square one: what is a long game? Is it perhaps the one that feels like it drags on and on and on? Hardly, I've played games that I have beaten in a matter of hours, but that felt like they drag on. I've played games that took me a lot longer to beat than they are supposed to: Jotun should be beaten in 2-3 hours, but it took me almost 10. Does this make the game long, or does it remain short? Is the length of a game something subjective or objective? What is objective, even, for isn't everything we know or feel merely a result of our perceptions? But even if we assume that we find an answer to that, does it get us closer to the key problem here: is BO2 long?

gently caress if I know

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015

Alexeythegreat posted:

But what defines the length of a game? Is it not the amount of time it takes to beat? But then, is it not insane to estimate length in temporal measurements? I mean, when we say that a game is long, we do mean that it takes a long time to beat. But that makes no sense, length is not a measure of time. Time is measure of time. So, maybe I should measure the length of the game in the amount of distance covered? But it's a game, I don't cover any distance, I sit on my rear end while hitting keys on a keyboard. Do I measure the amount of distance that Kain's model makes? No, probably not, we don't even know how we would then convert the virtual distances into real ones, we don't know how literal all the measurements are in the game. Or in any game, for that matter. So, we're back to square one: what is a long game? Is it perhaps the one that feels like it drags on and on and on? Hardly, I've played games that I have beaten in a matter of hours, but that felt like they drag on. I've played games that took me a lot longer to beat than they are supposed to: Jotun should be beaten in 2-3 hours, but it took me almost 10. Does this make the game long, or does it remain short? Is the length of a game something subjective or objective? What is objective, even, for isn't everything we know or feel merely a result of our perceptions? But even if we assume that we find an answer to that, does it get us closer to the key problem here: is BO2 long?

gently caress if I know

Thus the true descent into madness begins.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
I'm laughing way to hard for a blood omen thread.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Like any war, natural disaster, or similar travesty I think the magnitude of this game should be measured in terms of its human cost rather than for how many hours it takes before it's done with you.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
In case anyone is wondering, the turning point is update number 6.
You'll see what I mean when we get there.
You'll see.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
6/10, next time put Glaucon in too.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
Well, 4 posted videos and OP is already losing it. This can only mean fun times ahead.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Llab posted:

Well, 4 posted videos and OP is already losing it. This can only mean fun times ahead.

Man, wait until we get to a boss fight. This series has never had good bosses but Blood Omen 2 makes the Vampire Lieutenants in Soul Reaver look like fuckin' Jetstream Sam.

Molly Millions
Jan 27, 2011

It's not like bullshit, more like poetry.
This game is bafflingly bad. I can't beleive you're actually going through with it, Alexey. We're all praying for you.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hey, I like SR bosses. The ones in this game are horrible but what isn't.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Stealth is okay. Also, one music track is okay.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Chug! Chug! Chug!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SelenicMartian posted:

Chug! Chug! Chug!

I swear, kids these days and their code red...

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
It loops much better in the video version

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I can hear that valve squeaking in my head.

Partly from this, partly from the same sound effect used on valves/cranks in Resident Evil.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
All I can see is a gory silly straw that Kain pulls out every time.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.

Alexeythegreat posted:

It loops much better in the video version

The inexorable cycle of birth, death, and rebirth to which all souls are inextricably bound!

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
You mentioned the teethless mouths about 9 minutes in, but I paid more attention to the huge anime eyes almost all humans seem to share. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I never ever actually noticed the anime eyes

• Locked thread