Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqzTmzyMmtU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Shaggar posted:

if you dont change branding every few years then what would you do with your branding department?!?!

also known as the HR department rule

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lko_j_56S5k

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Changing your logo for no reason is pretty much the dumbest thing you can do for your business. it's always supposed to be along with doing something else that changes how you do business. Like a good time is when you are updating your site or acquired another company. Not just "whelp I got these designers maybe I'll barge into their offices and get my money's worth"

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
i think it's meant to symbolise getting to your destination? like the white circle is the place on a map you're going to and the line and square are sort of the end of the route that is drawn onto the map like in an animation of travelling in a bad movie

that's also maybe why the driver one has two lines coming from the square, because the driver arrives at the destination and then heads off again?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

big scary monsters posted:

i think it's meant to symbolise getting to your destination? like the white circle is the place on a map you're going to and the line and square are sort of the end of the route that is drawn onto the map like in an animation of travelling in a bad movie

that's also maybe why the driver one has two lines coming from the square, because the driver arrives at the destination and then heads off again?

that may be what some fart huffing marketing&design person thought, but unless it makes sense to customers it's a bad idea

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
it is bad, i am just trying to make some sense of it

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

blowfish posted:

some fart huffing marketing&design person
that guy quit, it was the ceo

how did you manage to forget that

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

cmykjester posted:

Changing your logo for no reason is pretty much the dumbest thing you can do for your business. it's always supposed to be along with doing something else that changes how you do business. Like a good time is when you are updating your site or acquired another company. Not just "whelp I got these designers maybe I'll barge into their offices and get my money's worth"

Reminder that admin a recessionary income slump in 2011, Darden spent millions on changing their Red Lobster signage at god knows how many locations from this:

to this

Apr 7, 2003

*guy highlights name, switches letters to uppercase*

"All fixed! $500K please"

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

big scary monsters posted:

i assumed the white circle was a tracking beacon or some bullshit but if they had even turned the circle 90 degrees clockwise it would have looked like a U and made at least a little more sense, as the direction would be up uP UP

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Citizen Tayne posted:

*guy highlights name, switches letters to uppercase*

"All fixed! $500K please"

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
hadn't seen this before, the bit about perimeter oscillations literally reads like timecube

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

someone get me a pirated copy of creative suite. I bet I could do this

Apr 7, 2003

craisins posted:

1980 - 2005 logos: Tilt old logo 30 degrees
2010 logos: remove 30 degree tilt

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

craisins posted:

it's funny, the amount of wasted space in this version of the logo makes me think the exact opposite of economizing to cut costs

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Citizen Tayne posted:

1980 - 2005 logos: Tilt old logo 30 degrees
2010 logos: remove 30 degree tilt

that's an oversimplification.

sometimes they would also change the font to helvetica when they tilted things

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

oh cool. Having 3 colors instead of two will make signage more expensive. good job.:downsbravo:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

it owns in places like detroit where there's zero public transportation and no taxi service to speak of.

i cant count how many times i drove home when i shouldn't have because calling a taxi service would get the "it'll be 2 hours" and then i'd wait 30 minutes then just drive home

lol

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Citizen Tayne posted:

Reminder that admin a recessionary income slump in 2011, Darden spent millions on changing their Red Lobster signage at god knows how many locations from this:

to this

I thought they sold/spunoff Red Lobster by that time?

Apr 7, 2003

maniacdevnull posted:

I thought they sold/spunoff Red Lobster by that time?

Wikipedia says they spun off red lobster July 2014.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

there are red lobsters in pittsburgh

Apr 7, 2003

mishaq posted:

there are red lobsters in pittsburgh

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
u ever get infinite shrimp at red lobster? its epic

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

mishaq posted:

there are reds lobster in pittsburgh

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Citizen Tayne posted:

to this

jackson hewitt is currently changing all their signs from red to blue :confused:

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

graph posted:

jackson hewitt is currently changing all their signs from red to blue :confused:

ugggggggg stop that poo poo

keep poo poo a consistent color

looking at you, blue outlook icon

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!
excel and Google sheets are just "the green icon" to me

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Vintersorg posted:

i remember a graphic designer telling me you never make things perfectly center as it fucks with peoples heads and just being off a bit keeps our brains calm

it's true tho

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

cmykjester posted:

oh cool. Having 3 colors instead of two will make signage more expensive. good job.:downsbravo:

username post combo as gently caress

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
the new logo is bad and is making me laugh a lot

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i'm going to do a number of ubers tomorrow, op

i'll ask how lomarf the drivers think the new logo is and report back

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
thats not remotely whats going on there

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

maniacdevnull posted:

ugggggggg stop that poo poo

keep poo poo a consistent color

looking at you, blue outlook icon

that threw me for a loop

also the black citrix receiver icon looks too much like the icon for cmd so I had to hack it

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

that's no moon

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

That Robot posted:

uber redesigned their icon for some drat reason and its absolutely insane, not in a good way

this looks like four butts rocking thongs surrounding a pacman

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Sham bam bamina! posted:

thats not remotely whats going on there

not in the uber logo, no, but if you measure how stuff is assigned on a page it's typically up more than you'd think.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
gently caress it's hard to find citations for what I'm talking about but this is closer

https://medium.com/@erqiudao/the-play-button-is-not-optical-alignment-4cea11bda175#.pnv67arfg

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Moist von Lipwig posted:

gently caress it's hard to find citations for what I'm talking about but this is closer

https://medium.com/@erqiudao/the-play-button-is-not-optical-alignment-4cea11bda175#.pnv67arfg
this is exactly the opposite of what youre trying to say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sham bam bamina! posted:

this is exactly the opposite of what youre trying to say

that's because he's wrong and won't find anything that supports his theory, it's possible in a really lopsided shape [twitter logo in that article] that you'll have to cheat it a little but in general it's usually best to center things or align them

• Locked thread