Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Thing is, though, it's always going to be on the sidelines. Even in Japan, the place where this kind of stuff originates, if you talk to the average person on the street - "Do you know about anime?" - they'll reply either "Oh, like Doraemon or Pokemon? I used to watch that when I was little!" or "It's something for otaku/freaks/perverts". I'm sure there's all sorts of sociological, cultural, and historical reasons for why this is, but just offhandedly, I would suspect that it's because by and large there's two types of anime out there: 1) Childrens' cartoons and 2) shows for perverts. Shows that fall in between those are few and far between.

And it continues to be this way because each new generation grows up watching cartoons, never quite grows out of them, moves on to the more "edgy" stuff as they grow older and their tastes mature, and by the time they've committed to the soul-grinding churn that is working as an animator, they've basically assimilated into the pervy culture that dominates. To wit - you have to be a pervert (of sorts) to even want to be an animator in Japan in the first place.

So when an industry is defined, shaped, molded, and staffed by the most extreme/committed of its fandom, naturally what comes out of it is either going to be entirely commercial works to sell to the broader public, so essentially marketing of toys and so on, or works dedicated to appealing to its extreme creators and the audience culture from which they came.

Not that it really matters, but my personal experience is that other people my age -- Millennials -- might know about some anime or manga and generally think it's "cool", but less than me. I don't have any friends or contacts who are more fanlike, so I don't know what a "true anime fan" is like in the wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

DoubleDonut posted:

Now, I don't get why anime has to be represented by KLK's costume design and twenty year old tentacle rape jokes instead of the stuff that people actually agree is good, but if I had to guess I'd say it's mostly just that anime, despite being around in the west for decades now, is still the weird new thing. It's new, and more importantly it's foreign, so it must be inherently hosed up and perverted.

Is tentacle rape even "a thing" anymore?? I've only ever seen it played as a joke/satirized.

• Locked thread