Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Endorph posted:

quote this post in order to gather all our energy, to dismiss those complaints

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

.jpg posted:

I hate anime...
But... maybe I can learn to love anime?
Maybe it's okay for me to like anime?
That's right.... it's anime, nothing more, nothing less
I watch anime.
I want to watch anime...
I want to watch anime!
And it's okay for me to watch anime!!

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Actual reply though, from what I hear from my teacher friend, SAO and Attack on Titan was big with high-schoolers last year. Which makes sense since those series are the equivalent of YA lit. And generally, the mainstream view of anime in the west usually is the shonen stuff, which is generally catered to boys who like action and boobs, so the cool stuff from the other genres tend not to be as well represented. Additionally, I feel like network TV generally does a poor job in picking up good shows for girls, so they're already disinclined to pick up stuff that's more shojo oriented. Course, sometimes good word of mouth still spreads since Fruits Basket was a success a couple years back, but it was never broadcast on any major stations. Anyways, that's my thoughts on the matter at the moment. Anime is cool, have a jelly donut everyday!

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Endorph posted:

no offense but 'the mainstream view of anime in the west... is generally catered to boys who like action and boobs' is pretty inaccurate. kurositsuji is still pretty huge and attack on titan was as popular with girls as it was with guys. and sailor moon always does insanely well. vampire knight was really popular too. it's true that shoujo doesn't really air on tv much, but there's always at least a couple of shoujo manga that are doing really well.

Yeah, hence what I meant that shoujo does have relatively good word of mouth at times like with Fruits Basket since it's usually girls I see in the manga section at bookstores. But from an outsider's point of view, what they see first is generally the shonen stuff was my point, which might skew the general opinion about anime in a certain direction.

• Locked thread