Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

valkyrie drive is way less offensive to me than the western comics where a terrorist plants a bomb in a woman's womb or whatever and people can post about that on the lauded penny arcade forums all they want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Anime backlash is only a gay rear end gringo thing, where I live there's a billion dweebs walking with death note shirts and they fill the giant convention centers where they hold anime cons. Latinos win again.
black people work out in dbz shirts and and talk about how much they want to gently caress chun-li

white people suck

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tarranon posted:

actually, that was ground zeroes, and it wasn't just any terrorist: skullface was the villain responsible
didnt it happen in a frank miller comic too?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

iunno anime has weird sex poo poo and some shows with really bizarre/wrongheaded political messages but comics do too. and frankly a lot of the poo poo modern comics pull in an attempt to be 'socially relevant' annoys me way more than a gay joke in anime or w/e.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you should have told them about chihayafuru

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

Is tentacle rape even "a thing" anymore?? I've only ever seen it played as a joke/satirized.
how much hentai do you read/watch

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

maybe... anime fans are just normal people.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

and then of course there are real/legitimate/justified complaints about sexism or gross stuff. IMO those aren't nearly enough to explain the total level of hostility towards japanese stuff, but it is significant, and i don't want to dismiss those complaints
i do. i really want to dismiss those complaints.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote this post in order to gather all our energy, to dismiss those complaints

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tarranon posted:

i want to find a third way, where you acknowledge the bad without turning into zorak

it's like the neutral path, in hit video game smt iv. it might be difficult, and lonely, but with isabae I know I can press on
idk dude, why do we need to acknowledge the bad? some anime is weird sex poo poo. it doesn't really bother anyone because if you don't want weird sex in your anime there is plenty of anime without it, and most anime are pretty upfront about their weird sex poo poo. some anime is sexist, but i don't think 'has boobs' and 'is sexist' are the same thing, and some random mecha show having a really hosed up portrayal of women doesn't reflect on anything but that one show.

also you quoted the post, so you still gave me your power

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

not to mention there's kind of the inherent problem of trying to judge japanese media through a western lens of sexism. like what reads as sexist to you isn't going to read as sexist even to the most hardcore feminist in japan, because feminism in japan is different from feminism in the west. likewise, something that reads as cool to you could read as really hosed up to a jp lady.

im not saying that means all animes are immune from criticism, im pretty sure valkyrie drive or the anime about the ninja whose boobs get bigger as her power level increases aren't going to win women the right to vote no matter where you're from, but going all 'tut-tut, anime would be great if it was less sexist to me, the dude from vermont' is weird

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there is no media more prestigious than anime

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Silento posted:

I read a lot more manga than I watch anime, but I dunno if they appeal to different groups in the US. I don't really overhear people talking about manga like I sometimes hear people talking about anime (SAO and co., mostly).
it's probably just a matter of accessbility. You can stream a lot of anime on crunchy or whatever for free, but you need a sub just to read shonen jump, and most manga released in the US is years after it was released in japan. Not to mention it's easier to just grab a $50 boxset than it is to buy 17 volumes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

1. Bad animation / writing / production values / having a show that does one thing well but everything else is minimum effort because the audience only cares about that one thing so why bother
this absolutely happens in tv, film, and western animation. like absolutely.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

sure, but there's very much a conscious movement towards higher quality media, stuff like adventure time/steven universe/gravity falls in animation, indie games, and in movies and tv. there's no shortage of good, well-made anime but they're not really consciously emphasized by the industry and i think if they were
steven universe literally steals half its shots from utena

are you like some sort of taintreaper for anime

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

i'm not saying that, i'm saying the anime industry seems just as happy to churn out unending shounen/LN bullshit as it does to make things like Ping Pong, whereas american media as of 2016 at least puts on a show of caring about polish and production values
american media churns out superhero movies and reboots

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

force awakens was not made because of a love for their craft and a desire to truly tell a story, it was made because it would make them $$$

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

alvin and the chipmunks 3 is well-produced art, unlike one-punch man

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i don't know why you're equating indie/hipster with quality but i wish you'd stop

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Motto posted:

that sounds awful tbh

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and it seems like that model would lead to way more pandering, not less. the current model allows for surprise successes or something that suddenly takes the world by storm even without any real 'hook' that draws people in. with that model you'd have to be pandering from the word go and desperately trying to sell yourself. as kickstarter shows, the best way to be successful is to either use an established franchise (the shenmue kickstarter), have a known name attached to your project (bloodstained, mighty no. 9), or invoke an established franchise without being a direct sequel (pillars of eternity)

And kickstarter is fine for those projects, but if it became the sole method of things getting produced, that'd be all you'd get. Nobody would want to kick in 15 dollars sight unseen unless they could be reasonably sure it'd be something they'd enjoy, and the best way to be sure of that is if they have some sort of familiarity. Random projects by young, fresh faces would completely dry up. More than that, things would be way more binary. There'd be no room for 'well, our blu-ray sales were pretty crap, but we made a lot of money on merch and drama CDs, so the fans we do have seem very dedicated. things balanced out in the end,' because if you fail immediately, the thing never exists.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

even YA movies are better than like heavy object or valkyrie drive
tbh heavy object is way better than ready player one

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

i mean this is mostly a problem of the japanese domestic market imploding as the country wastes away into the aether. i think the best path forwards for the anime industry is making stuff for a mainstream american audience, which i guess is why i keep harping on the benefits of switching to a more similar model to how american media now works
oh my god

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

even when i dont post in imp zone, my taint still gets reaped

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

no offense but 'the mainstream view of anime in the west... is generally catered to boys who like action and boobs' is pretty inaccurate. kurositsuji is still pretty huge and attack on titan was as popular with girls as it was with guys. and sailor moon always does insanely well. vampire knight was really popular too. it's true that shoujo doesn't really air on tv much, but there's always at least a couple of shoujo manga that are doing really well.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

why the gently caress wouldn't it be 'just like goku was determined to defeat the saiyans'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbf, ainu and koreans are cool and should be in anime more

edit: also native okinawans

• Locked thread