Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Endorph posted:

black people work out in dbz shirts and and talk about how much they want to gently caress chun-li

white people suck

I can't believe I'm just now learning that I'm black

Mentat Radnor posted:

Back in late October I was at a Halloween party with a bunch of people I had never met and I made some sort of offhand reference to One-Punch Man. Immediately, about four people called me on it and launched into a hearty discussion about the show's merits and how it compares to the manga.

These folks were normal, well-adjusted, married working adults. None of them were wearing DBZ Hawaiian silk shirts. None of them were fat stinky neckbeards. None of them felt it necessary to go on tangential rants about Madoka.

What I'm trying to say is, One-Punch Man saved anime's reputation with the normies, and that's really cool.

How many of them said that it's not REALLY anime, it's not like all those others

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Nerds are really scared of sexy cartoons, I guess. It's why you had people on CineD freaking out about the nipples that are on screen for five whole seconds in Redline, and it's probably a part of why Jojo gets to be "not really anime" despite being a mega-popular manga franchise that's been running for thirty years - there's one major female character across everything that's aired in the anime adaptation.

Now, I don't get why anime has to be represented by KLK's costume design and twenty year old tentacle rape jokes instead of the stuff that people actually agree is good, but if I had to guess I'd say it's mostly just that anime, despite being around in the west for decades now, is still the weird new thing. It's new, and more importantly it's foreign, so it must be inherently hosed up and perverted.

The fact that so much anime insists on being about high schoolers probably doesn't help, though.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

icantfindaname posted:

Also part of it is because of the comparative lack of indie/artsy stuff / a lack of a certain level of polish in anime. It still exists but it's not a movement to nearly the extent of like video games or comic books over the last few years. That's not really that big a problem in my eyes because I know enough / care enough to find the diamonds in the rough but it's part of why more prestigious media doesn't care about or is hostile to anime

1. What even is "a lack of a certain level of polish"
2. Where's all the indie/artsy western television

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
There's plenty of anime that are bad, yes. There's also approximately a million terrible sitcoms on American networks that get canceled every year because they're dogshit while the most popular shows include a bunch of samey police procedurals and the loving Big Bang Theory, so that seems like a pretty big double standard

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Like, you don't get to talk about The Sopranos and Mad Men if your standard for anime is unending shonen/light novel bullshit. Compare those shows to stuff like Ping Pong or Monster and you might have an actual discussion, but I don't think you can say Ping Pong has bad animation, writing, or production values

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Tell me more about how hipsters are the ones who run things now

icantfindaname posted:

i'm not saying that, i'm saying the anime industry seems just as happy to churn out unending shounen/LN bullshit as it does to make things like Ping Pong, whereas american media as of 2016 at least puts on a show of caring about polish and production values

What exactly is caring about polish and production values in The Big Bang Theory, the most watched show on television?

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Season 21 of Dancing with the Stars is a new and original idea

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
You can't just say that western TV doesn't count. It's the most directly comparable market. Video games and comics don't have to put out an episode a week for 26 weeks

Also, tell us more about how Japan is wasting away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

K. Flaps posted:

Sorry about your thread, OP.

• Locked thread