Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Tarranon posted:

the latino game is amazingly powerful..what's more, they're in a great position to grow stronger yet in the years ahead

i suspect the whole american preoccupation with hyper focusing on the kinkier poo poo Japan does is based at least in part on orientalism.

how do people react to that stuff where you are? do you just laugh it off like we do here? or does it just not come up unless someone actually likes it.

I think Orientalism is an interesting *in Zizek voice* ideology. People believe they have something to gain by setting themselves as the opposite of the other half of the world. So if the west is the bastion of feminism necessarily the Orient is not, seeking out any of the hosed up poo poo in the industry is just confirming what they already know. Doesn't really matter that Sazae-san, the longest running anime of all time, is about a feminist etc. What I'm trying to say is that Orientalism by Edward Said is a good book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

quote:

Goldilocks finds three lists for good anime in the bears’ house

The first list is completely empty. ‘Anime is bad! Don’t watch it’ it says. ‘No anime feels will be found here.’
Goldilocks: There is not enough anime on this list to last me any amount of time

Then she looked at the next list. It was too long… filled with spin offs and terrible non-canon characters
Goldilocks shook her head…. This asked for more time than she was willing to put in to watching anime

Then she saw the third list, filled with classic anime characters and series, but without filler seasons included out of sentiment and misguided fanboyism
Goldlocks: this is the anime list I will use to guide my future anime watching

• Locked thread