Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

littleorv posted:

I'm going to answer the op seriously and I hope I don't regret it.
:same:

I am an old (36) and have been an anime fan since I was a kid and didn't know what it was. Since I live in a pretty rural area I didn't encounter too many anime fans in the wild until I went to college where I did meet a few of the typical "anime club" fans but didn't spend much time around them because they were a little too intense for me. I've never aggressively put out an ANIME FAN identity but have occasionally worn an anime t-shirt, have attended cons in the past, and don't make a big secret of watching it either. The people I work with know I like anime and most of them have enough passing experience with it at this point that it's not a hugely foreign thing like it used to be. Mostly I just talk about anime online though, here and on a private board with a few close friends.

As far as creepy stuff goes, I've read enough trashy garbage myself that I don't begrudge people their personal tastes however filthy they might be. However, I think people should have some self-awareness regarding what they talk about in public/on the open internet and maybe not broadcast that they're really into the creepy stuff. You like what you like but nobody else needs to know that poo poo. It's easy to fall into oversharing mode in a relaxed atmosphere like current ADTRW though, and I'm guilty of it myself, having posted things and then think ehhh maybe I'd rather not have people know I like that. At least regret it though -- don't just blab about whatever gross thing you're into and expect others to support it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread