Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I admit I don't talk much about anime and manga with people in real life, but I got the impression that the anti-anime/manga backlash was almost exclusive to Something Awful.

I do agree that anime fans have no sense of appropriate boundaries sometimes, but I think they're better about it than they used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

Also part of it is because of the comparative lack of indie/artsy stuff / a lack of a certain level of polish in anime. It still exists but it's not a movement to nearly the extent of like video games or comic books over the last few years. That's not really that big a problem in my eyes because I know enough / care enough to find the diamonds in the rough but it's part of why more prestigious media doesn't care about or is hostile to anime

i think a lot of complaints about sexism in japanese media are justified (i'm sorry, my ultimate loyalty is with the revolution, not anime :ussr:) but there's a definite double standard where people don't care at all about stuff like DC comics glorifying literal fascism or gears of war having all the female characters shipped off to rape camps as part of the in-canon story but like naruto gets ripped a new rear end in a top hat for sexism because the female characters aren't active enough and there's the occasional lame, inoffensive boob joke

I actually more often (on non-SA places like rpg.net, at least) see the reverse, where people are a lot more willing to condemn Western media than anime as "problematic."

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

anime companies don't have to put out an episode every week either. nobody's holding a gun to their head and demanding they produce garbage

and as for japan wasting away:

Mark Twain posted:

In the space of one hundred and seventy-six years the Lower Mississippi has shortened itself two hundred and forty-two miles. That is an average of a trifle over one mile and a third per year. Therefore, any calm person, who is not blind or idiotic, can see that in the Old Oolitic Silurian Period, just a million years ago next November, the Lower Mississippi River was upwards of one million three hundred thousand miles long, and stuck out over the Gulf of Mexico like a fishing-rod. And by the same token any person can see that seven hundred and forty-two years from now the Lower Mississippi will be only a mile and three-quarters long, and Cairo and New Orleans will have joined their streets together, and be plodding comfortably along under a single mayor and a mutual board of aldermen. There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Relin posted:

the loudest complainers are western tumblrites

Tumblr loves anime, though.

• Locked thread