Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
the anime industry sounds hosed up, once it's less hosed up by merit of the unfucked studios gaining more success, things will probably improve, but for now it remains dominated by companies who treat their employees like poo poo and, surprise surprise, end up churning out poo poo

in the coming decades i think we might see a fair number of studios shutting their doors for good since the old guard who buys all sorts of poo poo will fade away and the newer, exceptionally less consumerist and more financially stingy generations start to be the main audience

i'm also still of the opinion that the current financing model of entertainment doesn't really work and in the future things will operate on a kickstarter style, where the audience chooses what gets funded or not - this will tend to lead to way way less anime (and by extension most other media) actually getting produced, but what does end up funded will hopefully be much higher quality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Endorph posted:

and it seems like that model would lead to way more pandering, not less. the current model allows for surprise successes or something that suddenly takes the world by storm even without any real 'hook' that draws people in. with that model you'd have to be pandering from the word go and desperately trying to sell yourself. as kickstarter shows, the best way to be successful is to either use an established franchise (the shenmue kickstarter), have a known name attached to your project (bloodstained, mighty no. 9), or invoke an established franchise without being a direct sequel (pillars of eternity)

And kickstarter is fine for those projects, but if it became the sole method of things getting produced, that'd be all you'd get. Nobody would want to kick in 15 dollars sight unseen unless they could be reasonably sure it'd be something they'd enjoy, and the best way to be sure of that is if they have some sort of familiarity. Random projects by young, fresh faces would completely dry up. More than that, things would be way more binary. There'd be no room for 'well, our blu-ray sales were pretty crap, but we made a lot of money on merch and drama CDs, so the fans we do have seem very dedicated. things balanced out in the end,' because if you fail immediately, the thing never exists.

It's more an economic thing. Like, let's be real here, if you are paying to watch anime you are doing it out of the kindness of your heart because in many cases it's way easier to watch streaming sites or torrent them than it is to actually watch the show in its official release. It's nice that producers can make money that way but I wouldn't exactly trust my fiscal security on the grace and thanksgiving of people on the internet. Hence why I don't think the model of 'pay for digital content that already exists' can really work in the long run, but 'pay in order for that digital content to exist in the first place' is a lot more feasible. You can't exactly pirate what doesn't yet exist, after all.

There has to be a level of prior investiture for a production to exist in the current day, obviously - that's what investors do for a living. It's just that where in the past the consumers and the investors were two totally different entities, now it is way more viable for them to become one and the same. It is very true this runs into problems all on its own, where the big name stars are the only ones who get all the attention and the little guys have to cry in the corner but uh I don't know if you've noticed but it's already mostly like that anyway. I think this maybe has a little more of a chance for said small time guys anyway? Like in the current system if they're like 'hey can we have 900 bucks to make our short' they'll be told to gently caress off by most investors or be forced to take a loan where they end up paying about six times that. A public patronage model where people browse what they might want to see coming next season or year makes it a lot more likely the small independent people can get anything going. It'll still be skewed towards 'hi I used to make Mega Man give me millions of dollars' but it's a much bigger equalizer since the patronage model makes the history of the producers and what they actually do in their products much more transparent and open to criticism and complaints being made public, while if a smaller company consistently puts out well-recieved content then they accrue popularity and praise and have proved their talent to where bigger and more expensive endeavors can be trusted in their hands.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Everything Burrito posted:

At least regret it though -- don't just blab about whatever gross thing you're into and expect others to support it.

i think this is probably the best message to take away from this thread

it is okay to like anime. it is even okay to like weird and pervy anime if that's your thing. you should, however, realize where the line is drawn depending on your current company. go ahead and talk about one-punch man with your coworkers but you should probably refrain from going into a diatribe on My Octopus Cream Fantasy Incest Extraordinaire. normal people realize this! weird people do not and would probably still be talking about weird and creepy poo poo to people who really don't want to talk about them even if they've never heard of anime.

tl;dr hate the playa not the game

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
yeah let's not go into the territory of 'anime should actually be made for me, the american, because japan is dying'

like yo

what happens happens. maybe japan is a barren wasteland and Fist Of The North Star In Real Life or maybe, i dunno, things turn around and don't exactly follow a mathematical equation. the decisions businesspeople make are shrouded in secret contracts and mystery and we commoners may never truly grasp what drives what they do aside from 'they probably assume this will make money most of the time'

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
yeah I'm reasonably sure anime works much like television does here. it goes on TV and makes money from the networks who in turn make their money from advertising and other sponsors. Merchandising helps a lot too, and I'm not talking about big otaku scale figures or what have you, I mean like, slapping an anime character's face on a can of Spaghetti-O's and calling it a day (i'm reasonably sure the anime people make money off that? there's a fine line between advertising and branding in that regard). Yes there are people who buy the big super expensive weeb merch but those people are not that numerous and most of what they pay is going to the cost of production and profit for the actual manufacturer making the product.

• Locked thread