Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
When I was playing AC before I got deep into iRacing the McLaren was by far my least favorite car, felt like it had way too much power for the tires so braking took forever and it had no grip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

VelociBacon posted:

Better to have tried and failed than to have never really raced at all though? After iRacing I can't shake the feeling that if I'm doing vsAI racing thing it's all a bit meaningless. Haven't beaten anyone, haven't been beaten, etc.

That and AI doesn't poo poo talk you over voice chat, which will never not be funny.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah am aware how fun racing against ppl is but I have limited timeframe sometimes at 7:35 I get the urge to plop down and race for a little bit. Kids and wife and life kinda make my schedule sporadic.

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

When I was playing AC before I got deep into iRacing the McLaren was by far my least favorite car, felt like it had way too much power for the tires so braking took forever and it had no grip.

Yeah maybe I'm just driving it badly.. if I recall my last time I think I just skipped the McLaren altogether.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Mar 1, 2024

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

tater_salad posted:

Yeah am aware how fun racing against ppl is but I have limited timeframe sometimes at 7:35 I get the urge to plop down and race for a little bit. Kids and wife and life kinda make my schedule sporadic.

Same, sometimes I just want to drop in for a quick race knowing I might have to quit before it ends because my kid fed the dog a Twix bar or something. I'm finding AMS2's AI quite good for single player and the amount of content and visuals are excellent.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I find AI racing doesnt scratch the itch if I treat it as a normal race bc I know im not winning against humans, but if I go into it with the mindset of its practice/training then I have a total blast. Sometimes its just about figuring out how your brain works and "tricking" it.

I think iRacing players like me struggle more with AI racing bc if Im going to invest my free time into iRacing i want to be improving my SR/IR which AI doesnt do

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

I find AI racing doesnt scratch the itch if I treat it as a normal race bc I know im not winning against humans, but if I go into it with the mindset of its practice/training then I have a total blast. Sometimes its just about figuring out how your brain works and "tricking" it.

I think iRacing players like me struggle more with AI racing bc if Im going to invest my free time into iRacing i want to be improving my SR/IR which AI doesnt do

I think just hopping in an iRacing practice session is super fun, learning a new track, seeing how you stack up, watching faster drivers, etc. I wonder how many people who are intimidated by iRacing know that it's even an option.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also you can jump into a real race as a ghost and see how you stack up with zero penalties for crashing or bumping other cars

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

VelociBacon posted:

I think just hopping in an iRacing practice session is super fun, learning a new track, seeing how you stack up, watching faster drivers, etc. I wonder how many people who are intimidated by iRacing know that it's even an option.

some of my most enjoyable battles have been against randos in a practice session who just happen to share similar pace when we meet on track.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

squirrelzipper posted:

Same, sometimes I just want to drop in for a quick race knowing I might have to quit before it ends because my kid fed the dog a Twix bar or something. I'm finding AMS2's AI quite good for single player and the amount of content and visuals are excellent.

I found your mistake and it’s either having a kid or a dog not sure which yet. Maybe both.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
The new RBR VR plugin finally got the big update and kicks rear end. They got the OpenXR & VD(XR) guys to unfuck 32bit compatiblity so i can do AV1 VD to OpenXR and get 90 lock on even the most unoptimized POS stage. Feel’s like the games gotten like 10 billion QoL updates within the last year.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

necrotic posted:

I found your mistake and it’s either having a kid or a dog not sure which yet. Maybe both.

2 of each. Done hosed it up.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Homeless Friend posted:

The new RBR VR plugin finally got the big update and kicks rear end. They got the OpenXR & VD(XR) guys to unfuck 32bit compatiblity so i can do AV1 VD to OpenXR and get 90 lock on even the most unoptimized POS stage. Feel’s like the games gotten like 10 billion QoL updates within the last year.

Is there any kind of single-installer solution for it these days?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
RSFRBR, tho its a little weird. It’s is a torrent for main base files (like 120 gigs) then you download the the installer and direct it to that folder + and it downloads the rest from an actual server and installs it all.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Back on the iracing AI topic, I ran some AI sessions for traffic practice for a league race and was really impressed with how they did, worked great for multiclass practice and was a good mix of predictable and polite with random sends and mistakes. I never think 'oh I should do an AI race' but it was pretty fun and might be something I do on occasion when I can't make the next slot of a series I want to run or something.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Back on the iracing AI topic, I ran some AI sessions for traffic practice for a league race and was really impressed with how they did, worked great for multiclass practice and was a good mix of predictable and polite with random sends and mistakes. I never think 'oh I should do an AI race' but it was pretty fun and might be something I do on occasion when I can't make the next slot of a series I want to run or something.

You can also customise the AI fields for your races, which is actually very cool. Say you want 10 aliens and 10 drivers with a guide dog in the passenger seat? You can do it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Any opinions on 8020 setups... Diy cost vs just paying someone to ship everything pre cut to my house.

Currently looking at a next level setup in the $600 range after I get seat brackets. There's a cheap rear end Marda? Brand one on Amazon for like 600 with seat and mounts but I assume there's a risk with no name 8020.

This will be an evolution of money spending potentially up to blowing a huge load on motion.

I've decided that trying to do track days with anything is either going to require another toy car, or a bunch of money to make my Miata safer but more practical, so I'm thinking I just go HAM on a rig.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Unless you get very very good pricing on extrusion its not going to be cheaper to DIY, having looked into it, and having gotten the OK to put it on a friend's business account. I was still paying more for just extrusion than an equivalent rig from TrakRacer, NLR, or ASR and still had a lot to spend on fasteners and hardware and stuff.

PERSONALLY, I'd be very warry of buying a rig where the pedal plate mounts to the wheelbase uprights, as the whole point of going 8020 is the adjustability and I've heard of people having to compromise either pedal or wheel distance on some of the combined options. The NLR ones look like they have a massive amount of room, but the simlab ones look like they could get you into trouble.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Looks like asr-3 might be a good bet then bit more expensive but the pedal plate doesn't attach to the uprights.

My nlr thoughts would be because they have kind of a drop in solution for motion later on. But a a 6' human I think adjustability is a key component.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
My other opinion on cockpits is that the uprights should overlap the base rails like on the ASR-4 vs butt against them like the ASR-3. Personally I think the TR80 is a really compelling offering and probably what I'd buy if I was going to do something today.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

The uprights on some of the NLRs seem pretty tall in video reviews. That was my primary reason to avoid.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Did you end up with something?

Cutting aluminum is an option....

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I went with the TR80.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
The discord is a lot more active than either this thread or the iracing thread, but to crosspost some content goons have been doing a team league in iracing recently and has been doing well. Team Bearpope has three cars in this series and its been a real fun time practicing for and racing in these events. Check the broadcast below and come race with your fellow goons! It's pretty iracing centric but lots of chatter about irl racing, rigs, and sims of all kinds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tXFK3y57dk

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Can't believe you're out here posting the races where we're running around at the back instead of the front

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'm always in the back.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

Vando posted:

Can't believe you're out here posting the races where we're running around at the back instead of the front

but I'm in this one :toot:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Found that my wheelstand only supporting the mounting plate from the back just wasn't enough for my shiny new Logitech Pro. So I went to Home Depot and cobbled something together with threaded PVC pipe meant for sprinkler systems and some metal fittings I had in the garage. Seems nice and stiff now!

The front center mounting screw is actually going through the PVC cap to attach it. This far it doesn't rotate in normal operation but if it starts doing that I can constrain that with a couple small wood pieces.

A fair amount of trial and error but it beats spending $250 on a Next Level Racing stand that handles the big chungus better out of the box.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Nice work

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That's about the level of on-the-fly engineering I see in real race cars. You pass scrutineering. Good job.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Tomorrow I'm gonna cut two pieces of wood with semicircles at the end to to between the new top bar and the old one. That should constrain any rotation it might be thinking about.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Nice!!

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Its beautiful

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Iracing got rain and it's exceeded my expectations and I had very high hopes for it. I've not done much rain driving in other games but this poo poo is amazing and I can't wait for an Enduro with changing weather.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Iracing got rain and it's exceeded my expectations and I had very high hopes for it. I've not done much rain driving in other games but this poo poo is amazing and I can't wait for an Enduro with changing weather.

How are public lobbies in the wet?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

im assuming no rain on ovals right?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

im assuming no rain on ovals right?

There’s a bug that lets you do hosted with wet ovals but it’s not supposed to be a thing (yet). Main focus is road asphalt currently

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

necrotic posted:

There’s a bug that lets you do hosted with wet ovals but it’s not supposed to be a thing (yet). Main focus is road asphalt currently

that makes sense considering in irl oval racing they don't really ever race in the rain, itd be hilarious to do like for fun with friends but a nightmare in actual races i feel like

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I can see a week 13 “Daytona Downpour” being fun

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

that makes sense considering in irl oval racing they don't really ever race in the rain, itd be hilarious to do like for fun with friends but a nightmare in actual races i feel like

Yup. Focusing on asphalt sports car first makes a lot of sense. Endurance racing is going to be so much different with rain as a potential

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

nascar will now race in a light rain on short tracks. Like if water's pooling no they wont but light rain they have rain tires.