Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

MrYenko posted:

How are public lobbies in the wet?

As you'd expect from what I've seen. Racing in the wet is going to be super challenging on both keeping your car on track and avoiding everyone who doesn't manage, especially with how variable grip can be lap to lap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

what do yall think of the idea of reducing safety rating penalties during the rain? Or do you think that just encourages crazy driving when rain comes out because the consequences aren't as serious?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Kvlt! posted:

what do yall think of the idea of reducing safety rating penalties during the rain? Or do you think that just encourages crazy driving when rain comes out because the consequences aren't as serious?

keeping it the same seems the best way to encourage driving to the conditions

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Don’t really see the point, surely you want to encourage safer driving, not encourage unsafe driving?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Hell, increase the SR penalties.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Yeah keep the same imo. I wonder if the formula license will have the same SR CPI rate, could see them making it more punishing as a small 4x can end your race if you lose a wing.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Reminder there is a standalone iRacing thread outside of this one that (should) have more iRacing specific info/discussion. Though it seems more people (inc me) have been talking about it in this thread so welp!

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Vando posted:

Reminder there is a standalone iRacing thread outside of this one that (should) have more iRacing specific info/discussion. Though it seems more people (inc me) have been talking about it in this thread so welp!

iRenting shills everywhere smh.

Join us

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

Vando posted:

the iracing thread is good for in depth stuff yeah but nice to get some cross posting in here so people know it exists and we're active. TBH the discord is the main hub so I just try to remember to cross post here to keep stuff alive.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Goddam it. All roads really do lead to iRacing. Since I switched pretty exclusively to VR, ACC has been a bit of a hassle, so I've been doing my online racing in AC/LFM and AI racing in AMS2 (shout-out to thread recommendation).

Went to look for an online race tonight. Number of people racing in LFM at 6 PM PST (ACC & AC): 119. Number of people racing in iRacing (all series): 17,347. LFM really is only popular in EMEA these days it seems.

Yes, there's a difference, as that's all seasons, but I wanted to do either a GT or MX cup race. Fine. gently caress you. I'll try iRacing, lol. I'm gonna blame all of you if I spend my mortgage on pretend race cars and tracks.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

squirrelzipper posted:

Number of people racing in iRacing (all series): 17,347.

Did you get this number from Steam? I would say a huge minority of iracing people use steam - you can't take advantage of their black friday subscription discounts if you buy through steam.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

Did you get this number from Steam? I would say a huge minority of iracing people use steam - you can't take advantage of their black friday subscription discounts if you buy through steam.

Nope that's from the iRacing UI client. e; as of now 8:22 PM PST it's 8810. 68 for LFM. Online sim racing is super niche. I bet GT 7 has more than both combined including SP ofc. ACC has 1,181 in game on steamdb right now. Now there's leagues and such of course.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 19, 2024

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
ANOTHER WALLET FOR THE PYRE

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

squirrelzipper posted:

Goddam it. All roads really do lead to iRacing. Since I switched pretty exclusively to VR, ACC has been a bit of a hassle, so I've been doing my online racing in AC/LFM and AI racing in AMS2 (shout-out to thread recommendation).

Went to look for an online race tonight. Number of people racing in LFM at 6 PM PST (ACC & AC): 119. Number of people racing in iRacing (all series): 17,347. LFM really is only popular in EMEA these days it seems.

Yes, there's a difference, as that's all seasons, but I wanted to do either a GT or MX cup race. Fine. gently caress you. I'll try iRacing, lol. I'm gonna blame all of you if I spend my mortgage on pretend race cars and tracks.

One of us one of us.

Get in the discord and join us for Friday/Sunday races.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Fanatec deathwatch

https://www.overtake.gg/news/develo...atthias%20Kosch

quote:

The inimitable founder and CEO of Fanatec, Thomas Jackermeier is set to depart his post at the top of the German sim racing equipment manufacturer.

Parent company Endor AG, which trades publicly on the Munich, Hamburg and Stuttgart stock exchanges, issued a brief statement yesterday (28th Mach) announcing the change.

“Today, the supervisory board of Endor AG has decided on the dismissal of CEO Thomas Jackermeier, effective at the end of March 30, 2024, thereby fulfilling a key condition set by the lending banks for the extension of the standstill agreement until June 30, 2024,” reads the brief statement, submitted by Matthias Kosch, Chief Financial Officer and Executive Board Member.

Here, it appears that Endor (Fanatec) claims that Jackermeier's departure is directly linked to a loan standstill agreement – whereby, typically, a repayment schedule on existing loans is halted under the proviso of certain requirements.

In a separate statement released earlier on the 28th, the Landshut-based company explained that it was “in negotiations with lending banks regarding a standstill agreement until June 30, 2024” and that the “standstill agreement is subject to conditions.”

Several key changes have happened recently to Endor’s Supervisory Board. Kosch replaced Andras Semsey as CFO at the end of last year, and Chairman of the Supervisory Board, Oliver F. Gosemann, resigned in February 2024.

A 27-Year Legacy

The stewards of the Fanatec brand first listed publicly on 27th June 2006 and, according to Endor AG, Jackermeier owns “around 50 %” of the company’s shares.

He is credited with founding the business in 1997, with its first steering wheel, the ‘Le Mans’, hitting the market in 1998.

The name ‘Endor’ is a reference to the Forest Moon of Endor in the Star Wars film Return of the Jedi.

“When I started this business 25 years ago, I had absolutely no idea where this would end up now,” said Jackermeier to invited media during quarter-century anniversary celebrations in 2022 at Spa Francorchamps.

“I mean just look around, as I walk through the [24 Hours of Spa] paddock and you see the Fanatec logo everywhere, these are the things you cannot imagine – and believe me, I have quite some vision.”

Recently, Fanatec has suffered product delays and slow shipments, in particular surrounding Black Friday deals and new lines such as the DD+ wheel base.

Endor’s financial year aligns with the calendar year, and at the time of publication, its Q4 2023 results have not been published. Earlier this year it issued a revised earnings forecast warning of potentially reduced revenues and a negative EBITDA margin for the 2023 financial year. This was marked down to what it called “supply chain disruptions.”

However, its outlook for 2024 was positive, projecting increased revenues and earnings as recently as February.

We have reached out for further comment. A succession plan is not publicly known, although we’ll update this article should Fanatec issue additional information.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i'm constantly hearing bad things about their support/customer service. feel like they've resting on their laurels from when they were the de-facto upgrade path for people going from starter wheels to direct drive. there are now a lot more options for that first big upgrade so it's not surprising that if people keep hearing bad poo poo about their service they're going to avoid.

shame because their hardware is still quite good. my dad has a csl and i tried it last time i was at his for a visit and it was quite nice.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

They made a big high-volume play with the $400 CSL DD bundle, but seemed to think they could do that without properly beefing up their logistics, keeping inventory around, or God forbid involving a retailer. Instead they spent a bunch of money putting their logo on racecar windshields.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

TheScott2K posted:

They made a big high-volume play with the $400 CSL DD bundle, but seemed to think they could do that without properly beefing up their logistics, keeping inventory around, or God forbid involving a retailer. Instead they spent a bunch of money putting their logo on racecar windshields.

Also sponsoring Formula 1, a thing done by notoriously stable and real companies.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

lmfao. black friday killed the company

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I'm hopeful that bringing in a new executive will lead to them cleaning up their operational difficulties and get back to the core business. I kinda feel like if they were actually on deathwatch the banks would have done something different than say 'hire a new head guy and we'll give you a break on interest to get your poo poo together', I feel like fanatec squandered their market advantage with all their recent stuff but also they're still in a good spot for the mid-low end of the market and are the only console option for a DD other than logitech and have a way better ecosystem than logi does. Fingers crossed they get their poo poo together and then figure out how to consistently have good CS and QC.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Yeah I'm just being hyperbolic for fun, they have the best position probably of any sim company. Which is why its extremely funny they're going through any difficulty at all.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Been wondering lately when Logitech's gonna swoop in with a same-QR version 2.0 of the Big Chungus and a formula rim. Or, dare I dream, a universal hub. I have their DD wheel and it's so drat good.

I think Fanatec's circling the drain, whatever creditor-approved CEO gets put in is gonna have one job - get their money back. He's going to take one look at their ops, pipeline, and sales numbers and go into sell-off mode. Would love to be wrong about that, though, we need more options than Moza and Cammus at the low end.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 29, 2024

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Homeless Friend posted:

lmfao. black friday killed the company

P sure endor hasn't been blown up by the second death star

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I dont know how good this manufacturer is, but I wish I could afford this wheel https://shop.simagic.com/products/fx-pro

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

I have a simagic gt4 rim (much less sophisticated than that / half the price) and I think it's great. Thick carbon fiber baseplate, buttons feel real good, etc.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Never heard anyone say a negative thing about simagic other than "yeah it's expensive."

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
I choose my wheel based on warehouse distance since a freakin expensive piece of electronics dying and being in RMA shipping hell would suck rear end. Cali has a fanatec warehouse so it was easy.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

Never heard anyone say a negative thing about simagic other than "yeah it's expensive."

Yeah that's all I've ever heard - "I love it wish it didn't cost so much"

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Diplomat posted:

I have a simagic gt4 rim (much less sophisticated than that / half the price) and I think it's great. Thick carbon fiber baseplate, buttons feel real good, etc.

If my Fanatec ever breaks, i'm gonna go with simagic.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Homeless Friend posted:

Cali has a fanatec warehouse so it was easy.

Um, bad news

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

NtotheTC posted:

Um, bad news

I mean they will have those problems fixed eventually right? .... Right? :v:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Homeless Friend posted:

I choose my wheel based on warehouse distance since a freakin expensive piece of electronics dying and being in RMA shipping hell would suck rear end. Cali has a fanatec warehouse so it was easy.

Fanatec is gonna be fine, kids, they're just going to go live on a farm

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Unless they 100% close up shop the beautiful thing is basically every first choice shipping warehouse is going to be an LA due to the port. They cannot escape me. I RMA'd my power supply after BF bungling and it was alright.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Fanatec recently moved all its US warehousing to Texas (a thing famously stable companies do)

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'
Main problem at the moment is if you have to reach out to them for any support issues wait times to get any sort of response is at least 2 weeks.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

It's 2024 I don't think it matters where a warehouse is, outside of being in whatever country. So many other factors affect RMA timing.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

NtotheTC posted:

Fanatec recently moved all its US warehousing to Texas (a thing famously stable companies do)

drat rip. my beautiful one day....

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Homeless Friend posted:

drat rip. my beautiful one day....

Their creditors also just fired the CEO as part of a "standstill" (payment pause) agreement because they haven't been getting their payments. New guy's first priority will be getting them their money back, so...yeah, if you have anything important to say to Fanatec, do it soon.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Am now remembering why im partial to fanatec. the one simmagic thing i bought that was partially broke on arrival and its all through the resellers (sim-motion in this case), so theyre like you can fix it yourself (attached 720p grainy video) or send it back but they never responded back after like 3 emails/2 weeks i just forced the refund through paypal lol. fanatecs competition is badass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Homeless Friend posted:

Am now remembering why im partial to fanatec. the one simmagic thing i bought that was partially broke on arrival and its all through the resellers (sim-motion in this case), so theyre like you can fix it yourself (attached 720p grainy video) or send it back but they never responded back after like 3 emails/2 weeks i just forced the refund through paypal lol. fanatecs competition is badass

oh buddy,