Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

IceAgeComing posted:

I was thinking four laps; I wasn't sure whether three would be a little too short. Its a bit of an awkward thing.

So yeah: on Sunday we're doing the Peugeot 504s at the Nordschleife - we're going to be using the sports version, I'm just going to change the server before I forgot. I'm planning to start the race at 8:30GMT as normal; although qualifying will be quite a bit longer - I'm thinking of starting it at eight just to give people time to get a couple of laps in.

Four laps would be one too many, I think.

Also, for such a slow terrible car, this thing is really hard to actually keep on the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah, this car on this track could be pretty bad, the field is going to spread out a ton and it'll be bad. Same car on a shorter track, or a different car on this track, could be a lot more fun.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

CaseFace McGee posted:

Yeah, this car on this track could be pretty bad, the field is going to spread out a ton and it'll be bad. Same car on a shorter track, or a different car on this track, could be a lot more fun.

p much this

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah I'm too bad and too busy for this race. Have fun people that are actually good at this game.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
We've changed it to the Alfa GTA at the Endurance Nurburgring - I didn't have a great deal of time to try out the car/track combo, sorry!

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I enjoyed. Really like the way that car drives.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Ziploc posted:

I enjoyed. Really like the way that car drives.

And sounds.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Can we get a discussion going on DIY driving cockpits ? I'm going to start building one out of lumber.

-Is insidesimracing's forums the best place to get ideas for designs ?

-How important is side bolstering for seats ? Since there aren't actual g-forces I suppose it's not too important but I'm not sure what sort of seat to go for. Since I don't have much in the way of junkyards where I live, I'm thinking of maybe shipping in an actual race seat. I had RCI nhra spec seats in one of my racecars and they seemed decently comfortable.

-Triple monitor stand, How close is too close to your face ? I'm thinking having the center screen almost touching the steering wheel would be best to get the widest calculated FOV.

On a side note, I currently push around 85fps average on the AC benchmark with triple monitors with a GTX 960 card @ medium settings and 1080p resolution. The monitors are only 60hz capable. Would stepping up to a better card and 144hz monitors offer a better experience ? I am thinking of upgrading to a VR ready machine, but may stick with triple monitors because I get motion sickness easily.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

For seating I'd probably be more concerned with cushioning for back/butt.

*edit*
vvvvvv I think a Miata/MX-5 seat in good condition should actually hit the comfort/position really nice.

Bentai fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 16, 2016

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I've used moderately bolstered seats from lower-end "sporty" junkyard cars (Mazda MX-6 and Hyundai Tiburon) in my two builds. They feel more "right" but certainly aren't the greatest for long sessions.

I'd say focus more on comfort. It'd probably feel weird to go too far, a cockpit-style driving position with conversion van captains chairs for example probably wouldn't be great, but the bolstering is definitely only there for ~~my immersion~~ rather than actual function.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

ISR forums probably have the largest collection of plans and builds, yes. I'm browsing them now to get more ideas for this weekend's project of a shifter and mouse mount.

My center monitor is about an inch behind my wheel and the bottom of the screen is even with the top of the wheel base, just about as close as I can get it. You (presumably) want it as realistic as possible, which means you want it as close to your wheel as possible.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah triples! Oh wait..

App13
Dec 31, 2011

I see the G27 recommended a lot, though that now seems to be out of production. Is the G29 now recommended?

Also, what sort of gear would I need to realistically mimic a stick shift car? I'd like to start driving a manual again, but I would need to get used to a left hand steering column of American cars and would prefer to get some experience in a sim first.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
rfactor and rfactor 2 are up for sale on steam

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
I think we should put the new lake louise v2 on the gooncar server :mrgw:

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I support this proposal

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I remember Lake Louise being fun.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Fans of loud noises might enjoy this video of the Formula V10 in Automobilista. It went up in the dev forum a while ago but has only just been publicly released, sounds like they're just starting to finish up things for the beta so hopefully those of us with that will be driving that this week. There's also a video of the Lancer Rallycross.

Jehde posted:

I remember Lake Louise being fun.

Has he actually put collision detection on it yet? All I remember of the old track was constantly clipping through barriers and falling through the world.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 17, 2016

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

OhsH posted:

I think we should put the new lake louise v2 on the gooncar server :mrgw:

i've had a look, i'd be up for it if someone recommends a good car for that sort of track. I'll certainly add it to the server; it doesn't take that much time or space

Sunday's Assetto Corsa race will be the Lotus 2 Eleven GT4 at Mugello - I originally planned to use Vallelunga Club but for some reason my game always crashes after a few laps: if I fix it then I guess that it something that we could try in the future with a slightly different car. The race should be at 8:30pm GMT as usual: although I might have to move that slightly since I'm going to London for a job interview early next week so I'll be running around preparing lots of poo poo beforehand. I've also decided to make it so that when I switch over from the rolling practice to the race I'll automatically start a qualifying session from the point I switch it over to the start of the race: I think that's a sensible thing to do...

Race distance is TBA at this point: I plan to do one of the Saturday iRacing Daytona 500 races; after that I'll do a few laps and work out how long we need to be to make the race last roughly half an hour. If only they let you set up a timed race...

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

IceAgeComing posted:

i've had a look, i'd be up for it if someone recommends a good car for that sort of track. I'll certainly add it to the server; it doesn't take that much time or space

p much just throw any random production car from any year and it'll be great, just put like 3 or for for whatever cars you do so we can roll as a crew :V

yellowbird, f40, classic cars are good and the lotus's (lotii?) are just a good call too.

OhsH fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 19, 2016

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Let me know if that works.

Set it so that we have 6 Yellowbirds (all in yellow naturally), 6 GT40s (all in Gulf colours because that's how its supposed to be), six red F40s and 6 Countach's because I'm pretty sure that was the first car I ever drove in a racing game (Need for Speed 3!) so it has to be in. You'll need Dream Packs 1 and 2 I think to run it; plus this.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

IceAgeComing posted:

Let me know if that works.

Set it so that we have 6 Yellowbirds (all in yellow naturally), 6 GT40s (all in Gulf colours because that's how its supposed to be), six red F40s and 6 Countach's because I'm pretty sure that was the first car I ever drove in a racing game (Need for Speed 3!) so it has to be in. You'll need Dream Packs 1 and 2 I think to run it; plus this.

Countach was best in my first race game need for speed hot pursuit.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

we apparently had the same first race game

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It wasn't my first racing game but I played the poo poo out of it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

IceAgeComing posted:

You youngins, my first sim was vette! For mac.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vette!

Open world racer with Cops, traffic, and modeled san fran to drice arund wirh, you could gently caress with gravity and do barrel rolls for days off of the hills.. seriously I want to play it now.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 19, 2016

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

IceAgeComing posted:

maybe you should call it by the correct title so i would be aware :colbert:

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
smh if you haven't played The Duel: Test Drive II

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
My dad was into racing games in the 80's and 90's, so I grew up playing Pole Position, Pitstop, Indianapolis 500, Test Drive and Test Drive 2, etc. Didn't do much after those early games until the original Gran Turismo and Forza, then played Unreal Tournament nonstop until recently getting into modern sims.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah pole position on the atari was my first racer, but I'd say vette was the first "sim" I played since you could spin out and also gravity and real streets

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you didn't learn to drive in one of these, gtfo. :colbert:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The first racing game I played that at least pretended to be serious was Total Drivin', a game marketed on how it had the roundest wheels on the Playstation. Then I got super into Gran Turismo 2 and just stuck with that series in between Mario Kart sessions. Outrun 2 is still the best racing game though.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

My first was Rad Racer.

My first sim i played with a wheel was Asseto Corsa...and now I have really expensive hobby.

Started with a g27 attached to my desk. Now using a thrustmaster tx, clubsport v3 pedals, th8a shifter, a dedicated racing seat, and I'm really close to buying 3 ultrawides.

WHAT THE gently caress IS HAPPENING TO ME?! A couple years ago I gave zero shits about cars, now I have canvas prints of Monaco and the Nurburgring in my office, and this massive pile of sim gear...

Norns fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Feb 19, 2016

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Norns posted:

WHAT THE gently caress IS HAPPENING TO ME?! A couple years ago I gave zero shits about cars, now I have canvas prints of Monaco and the Nurburgring in my office, and this massive pile of sim gear...

I can empathise with this, a year ago I gave no shits about racing and now I'm following F1 test results and seeing whether going to see Euro NASCAR at Brands Hatch is feasible.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

jonathan posted:

Can we get a discussion going on DIY driving cockpits ? I'm going to start building one out of lumber.

-Is insidesimracing's forums the best place to get ideas for designs ?

-How important is side bolstering for seats ? Since there aren't actual g-forces I suppose it's not too important but I'm not sure what sort of seat to go for. Since I don't have much in the way of junkyards where I live, I'm thinking of maybe shipping in an actual race seat. I had RCI nhra spec seats in one of my racecars and they seemed decently comfortable.

-Triple monitor stand, How close is too close to your face ? I'm thinking having the center screen almost touching the steering wheel would be best to get the widest calculated FOV.

On a side note, I currently push around 85fps average on the AC benchmark with triple monitors with a GTX 960 card @ medium settings and 1080p resolution. The monitors are only 60hz capable. Would stepping up to a better card and 144hz monitors offer a better experience ? I am thinking of upgrading to a VR ready machine, but may stick with triple monitors because I get motion sickness easily.

I built this without plans. I just found a bunch of pictures of the Ricmotech cockpit and copied it as best I could. Has held up well so far. I can get more detailed pictures/dimensions if you want. I already had the seat, otherwise I would have grabbed the cheapest regular car seat I could find.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

blk96gt posted:

I built this without plans. I just found a bunch of pictures of the Ricmotech cockpit and copied it as best I could. Has held up well so far. I can get more detailed pictures/dimensions if you want. I already had the seat, otherwise I would have grabbed the cheapest regular car seat I could find.

Nice setup!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Some things got released. There's a new version of the BTCC 1999 Nissan Primera out and it actually has sound now.It also looks a hell of a lot better and is very fun and very sideways around Brands Hatch. RaceRoom also released an old, slow 60s car I've not heard of called the NSU Prinz TTS, I gave it a test drive and found it perfectly acceptable but nothing I'd spend money on when I can race far more interesting old cars either with the 1992 DTM cars or GT Legends.

Also still no Automobilista beta and I'm wondering when people start to run out of patience given the beta was supposed to hit last month and has been coming 'very soon' for about 3 weeks now.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

The V10 F1 Automobileista preview got me rock hard. Need it now...

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Blick, I'm jealous of that seat... that's the weakest part of my current setup.

My idea for a shifter mount has evolved quite a few times since I ordered the shifter early this week, now I think it's going to also have a mouse pad and keyboard arm. We have decently warm weather tomorrow, so I should be able to mock something up and be up and running to some degree.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I use a motorcycle ram mount for my shifter. I use a playseat challenge right now, so it's just connected right to the frame.

Those full race seat setups look appealing, but I really like my playseat setup right now.

Also thinking about selling this house and don't want to kill myself taking apart a more complicated setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

CaseFace McGee posted:

Blick, I'm jealous of that seat... that's the weakest part of my current setup.

My idea for a shifter mount has evolved quite a few times since I ordered the shifter early this week, now I think it's going to also have a mouse pad and keyboard arm. We have decently warm weather tomorrow, so I should be able to mock something up and be up and running to some degree.

Cruise racing junk for an expired FIA seat. You can usually pick them up pretty cheap.