Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Very happy with my fanatec gear and constantly hear stories about poo poo falling apart or overheating with moza or other brands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
The stock CSL:DD pack wheel broke on back of the plastic part to the rim after about 85 hours of use on the DD + 8nm torque upgrade. I went with the Clubsport base + the cheap alcantara wheel, and the whole thing feels mostly completely solid at this point.

The Fanatec shifter feels vague but I don't want to drop ~2k on a gear shifter that I could actually spend on stuff for the real car, and/or my house.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Apologies for making GBS threads up the thread with a load of guff, but are any of the modern sim racers particularly worth playing as entirely single player experiences?

I can see ACC is on sale at the moment combined with the hype of the Nordschleife release yesterday. My only current gaming platform is a Steam Deck and I'm kinda itching for some decent track racing. I know the game functionally works on Steam Deck, but I'm just wondering if playing on a controller is good enough and if there's enough solo action going on to justify picking up the game for some solid track racing or lap times etc.

For context, I have done the whole proper PC + wheel setup thing before but.. kids and life intervened and I sold all that stuff. I'm a few years removed from the scene but also know that playing on a controller is never optimal and I'm not going to be racing online or competitively. I get it, but just wondering if ACC (or anything else) clears a low-expectations barrier for controller + solo/offline play.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Honestly I wouldn't play ACC on a controller. I know there are guys who do but it just isn't that kind of game.

This is going to elicit a chorus of boos, but the single player sim-adjacent track racing space really is this bad - you might want to consider Project CARS 3. It's delisted so you'll have to go get a key somewhere, but from what I've heard it kinda shines on a gamepad.

e: apparently it's not delisted but it's currently $60 on Steam. so uh...wishlist it and wait for a sale

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Apr 2, 2024

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I think with anything that's a modern sim is going to be difficult with shoulder buttons and thumb sticks, maybe if you flip on a bunch of assists How do you feel about fun rear end arcade racers Forza Horizion is fun as poo poo bombing around the country and would be ideal with a controller. Maybe something like F1 2020

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

TheScott2K posted:

Honestly I wouldn't play ACC on a controller. I know there are guys who do but it just isn't that kind of game.

This is going to elicit a chorus of boos, but the single player sim-adjacent track racing space really is this bad - you might want to consider Project CARS 3. It's delisted so you'll have to go get a key somewhere, but from what I've heard it kinda shines on a gamepad.

I'd actually say AMS2 would be a better option, since it's built on the Project CARS engine and inherited PCars' controller support. It also works perfectly well on a Steam Deck. If you were going to go to the lengths of finding a key for a delisted game I'd also say Project CARS 2 is a much better game than 3.

tater_salad posted:

Maybe something like F1 2020

This is also a good shout, except that only F1 23 and 24 are still on Steam and neither of them in my experience run that well on a Deck.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

njsykora posted:

I'd actually say AMS2 would be a better option, since it's built on the Project CARS engine and inherited PCars' controller support. It also works perfectly well on a Steam Deck. If you were going to go to the lengths of finding a key for a delisted game I'd also say Project CARS 2 is a much better game than 3.

Turns out it's not delisted. I recommended 3 over 2 because (this is secondhand information) 3 specifically targets gamepad players in a way 2 doesn't. I've tried playing 2 on a gamepad and it was a rough time. I've only played AMS2 on a wheel, but unless they've overhauled gamepad support in that thing and told nobody I'd be surprised if it was good like that.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

tater_salad posted:

I think with anything that's a modern sim is going to be difficult with shoulder buttons and thumb sticks, maybe if you flip on a bunch of assists How do you feel about fun rear end arcade racers Forza Horizion is fun as poo poo bombing around the country and would be ideal with a controller. Maybe something like F1 2020

I've always liked but not loved the Forza Horizon games. And the itch I want to scratch is very much for a decent enough level of track racing action.

As I say I've been down the "spend £1,000+ on Fanatec poo poo" road before so my expectations/requirements are super modest here, but I also want it to be worth it to an enjoyable level without feeling like a total waste of time. It might be that I just have to shelve the idea until we (inevitably?) get GT7 on Steam.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Oh yeah if you're good with the kind of game FH5 is just play that. Has no real competition, frankly, except its own predecessors.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

VelociBacon posted:

Very happy with my fanatec gear and constantly hear stories about poo poo falling apart or overheating with moza or other brands.

A buddy of mine has Moza gear, and its been reliable for him, but the software has been the worst part. For an entire season of F1 he would just randomly lose FFB until he rebooted the wheel, which had to be during a pit, or if he was feeling ballsy, a straight

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Fanatec’s hardware and software is really, really good.

Their customer service is basically “lol nope,” and their webstore is unnecessarily opaque and feels like it’s trying to scam you.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If you want to arcade race on a track with a controller you could get Wreckfest for cheap and mod it inside out. There are mods for like the full 1999 NASCAR season including all the tracks and poo poo. The AI is dumb as hell as far as actual racing goes, but I'm not sure it's any better in the games that were already mentioned.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If you aren't married to "realistic" racing, stuff like Wipeout/Redout or TrackMania might scratch that itch. If you like rally, the Dirt Rally and WRC games are fun and designed to work with controllers. If you really want "real cars on actual race tracks" but with controllers, I would pick up a used PS4 and GT Sport.

Edit: Forza Motorsport 7 was widely considered the "last good Forza" and is/was available on PC. I've never played it though.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Grand Prix 4 works on the Deck...

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

KillHour posted:

If you aren't married to "realistic" racing, stuff like Wipeout/Redout or TrackMania might scratch that itch. If you like rally, the Dirt Rally and WRC games are fun and designed to work with controllers. If you really want "real cars on actual race tracks" but with controllers, I would pick up a used PS4 and GT Sport.

Edit: Forza Motorsport 7 was widely considered the "last good Forza" and is/was available on PC. I've never played it though.

FM7 is, as of now, a much better game and more complete product than FM8 but that's pretty faint praise. Nobody had much of anything good to say about it until the new one came out, and there's a lot of goofy physics poo poo in it, it's not worth the price it commands nowadays.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I need Gran Turismo 7 to come to PC.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I said come in! posted:

apparently it was in those nvidia leaks, but that still doesn't mean it's guaranteed.

nvidia posted:

Nvidia has responded to the leak, stating that the list of titles on the platform is “used only for internal tracking and testing”, and that the inclusion of any title “is neither confirmation nor an announcement of any game”

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I said come in! posted:

I would be so god drat happy.

I actually recently downloaded the iso of GT5 after seeing some youtubes about emulating it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

I would be so god drat happy.

I actually recently downloaded the iso of GT5 after seeing some youtubes about emulating it.

Yeah GT5 & 6 apparently emulate really well now. Although I don't know really know why someone would want to go back to those games at this point. I still play GT7 frequently on PS5 in VR and its great, but would double dip without question on a PC release.

Also, how is RaceRoom nowadays? I noticed that sim is still going, but no one plays it anymore on Steam.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Raceroom stagnated pretty hard, they tried to launch an online system like iRacing's but it cratered pretty hard. Plus their reliance on whatever their parent company is promoting for content means the track list is a big pile of who cares German tracks like the Norisring and Lausitzring and boring Asian stuff like Ningbo and Chang. The last actually new track they added was Interlagos and since then it's just been a bunch of updates to older tracks. DTM moving to just be a GT3 series also hurt since then they didn't even have the relatively unique DTM cars as a USP, same thing for WTCC moving to the TCR regs since those cars don't really change, and other games caught up to them in terms of sound so I don't think there's any real reason to buy into it any more.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I said come in! posted:

I think I’ll end up hanging my hat on this until I can justify returning to a full wheel setup. Can totally see it happening.

felked
Jul 4, 2023

Anything that made sim racing click for you guys? I’ve had this g920 since like Forza Motorsport 6 days on Xbox. Got a truebrake mod on, bodnar cables and whatnot. I’m terrible lol. Always have been with it.

My best lap ever on oschersleben gp with the mx5 cup in assetto corsa is like 1:46.8. The times your average low fuel Motorsport dude qualified on that track with is like 1:44 something. I have hot lapped this track for 20 hours and still can’t get that time down. Feeling like I’m screwing some fundamentals up here, so just curious if any of you guys watched a video or something that made it all click for you.

felked fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 3, 2024

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bumhead posted:

I think I’ll end up hanging my hat on this until I can justify returning to a full wheel setup. Can totally see it happening.

I was a little bit convinced that Gran Turismo 8 would be out this year, but then Sony went and said no sequels to already existing I.P. this year. Mostly I think i'm just ready for a new Gran Turismo.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

felked posted:

Anything that made sim racing click for you guys? I’ve had this g920 since like Forza Motorsport 6 days on Xbox. Got a truebrake mod on, bodnar cables and whatnot. I’m terrible lol. Always have been with it.

My best lap ever on oschersleben gp in assetto corsa is like 1:46.8. The times your average low fuel Motorsport dude qualified on that track with is like 1:44 something. I have hot lapped this track for 20 hours and still can’t get that time down. Feeling like I’m screwing some fundamentals up here, so just curious if any of you guys watched a video or something that made it all click for you.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005J0K7X6

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I was a little bit convinced that Gran Turismo 8 would be out this year, but then Sony went and said no sequels to already existing I.P. this year. Mostly I think i'm just ready for a new Gran Turismo.

GT7 was less than 3 years ago. We're not getting another one for at least another 4-5.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

njsykora posted:

GT7 was less than 3 years ago. We're not getting another one for at least another 4-5.

god drat thats true, it feels longer than that.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

felked posted:

My best lap ever on oschersleben gp with the mx5 cup in assetto corsa is like 1:46.8. The times your average low fuel Motorsport dude qualified on that track with is like 1:44 something. I have hot lapped this track for 20 hours and still can’t get that time down. Feeling like I’m screwing some fundamentals up here, so just curious if any of you guys watched a video or something that made it all click for you.

Watch some laps see what you're doing differently, sometimes you need to try something different on purpose try a different line a different brake point etc.

When you're doing a 'test day' your goal is to try different things. Kind of sticking with what Jimmy's coach told him on their Merc test day 'you're too consistent which is bad, you need to play with the car on the track'.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

felked posted:

Finally trying the copy of ACC that came in a humble bundle did it for me. A sim fully focused on cars where you have you're-weird-if-you-don't permission to use ABS and TC did wonders for me. Also turning off the racing line helped a lot, which I know is counterintuitive.

CH Science
Sep 11, 2019

felked posted:

I personally find lapping alone chasing times super boring so my solution was to sign up for iRacing and just race more.

Wider pool of drivers with more splits means better w2w racing regardless of whether you can top the timing charts over a hot lap. I probably have made 1/3 of the progress over time that I would have if I dedicated more time to strictly practice, but if I did that I’d have 2/3 less fun so I’m happy to be just pretty okay with all the other people that are just pretty okay

ymmv if your brain doesn’t work like mine ofc

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

This book is really good and a pretty easy read that explains the fundamentals of driving.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

This book is really good and a pretty easy read that explains the fundamentals of driving.

I am “the book shill” in discord because I recommend this book to everyone. Some of the chapters are not useful to sim racing (they’re about actual car maintenance / team side things) but everything about the _driving_ is spot on and helped me move forwards quite a bit.

The trick is to not just read it but put conscious effort into using the tips. It spends quite a bit of time talking exactly about “consistent laps is not good practice alone” - you need to play with off-line routes just as much, so that if you encounter a weird situation you aren’t stuck only knowing the “correct line”

And that, knowing _how to practice_, is one of the best parts of the book imo

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

CH Science posted:

I personally find lapping alone chasing times super boring so my solution was to sign up for iRacing and just race more.

This doesn’t work for everyone, but when I’m in a strict practice mode I find little mini-games to focus in on.

A very simple one is “how high can I keep my revs” where you listen closely to the car and in every corner you push the revs softly but _as much as possible_, even if it means throttle more while braking. This will not necessarily give you the best lap times, but it will put you in awkward situations that you can then react and learn to. And sometimes those additional revs are good, actually!

When it’s not good - and if you’re intentionally over revving and paying attention - you might then find your either braking too much or too early. Then you stop pushing the revs specifically, and work on backing out braking instead.

Schorsch
Nov 23, 2010

felked posted:

20h is a bit overkill, just to hotlap. If the goal is to get faster, you want to have a justified purpose for a session and the session needs to be performed with that purpose in mind. An example:
A replay shows you not using all the track, maybe on corner entry, maybe on exit. The result is probably that speed throughout the corner is lower than grip allows. Your goal for the session is a) identify the places where you can use more of the track, b) change the position of your car at that places, c) compare the lap and sector times if the change was successful, d) move to the next improvement opportunity.
Same for every issue you can identify, be it braking technique, throttle application, car setups.

The basics for knowing what to improve are available via books, telemetry, tutorials and coaching, but you have to execute them on track with a purpose, no way around it.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Bumhead posted:

Apologies for making GBS threads up the thread with a load of guff, but are any of the modern sim racers particularly worth playing as entirely single player experiences?

I can see ACC is on sale at the moment combined with the hype of the Nordschleife release yesterday. My only current gaming platform is a Steam Deck and I'm kinda itching for some decent track racing. I know the game functionally works on Steam Deck, but I'm just wondering if playing on a controller is good enough and if there's enough solo action going on to justify picking up the game for some solid track racing or lap times etc.

For context, I have done the whole proper PC + wheel setup thing before but.. kids and life intervened and I sold all that stuff. I'm a few years removed from the scene but also know that playing on a controller is never optimal and I'm not going to be racing online or competitively. I get it, but just wondering if ACC (or anything else) clears a low-expectations barrier for controller + solo/offline play.
It's not modern by any definition, but GT Legends remains a blast to play and should run a treat on the steamdeck.

felked
Jul 4, 2023

Thank you everyone for the advice. Will try to put it into practice. I did buy that book that was recommended

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

felked posted:

This is, again, why iracing is so good. You can hop in a practice session and do some laps and when you see someone who is significantly faster you can click on their name and ride along with them and learn what you're doing differently.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

If anyone in southeastern VA wants a Fanatec bundle without dealing with Fanatec send me a PM.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I know its not really a sim, but does anyone know if the World of Outlaws game has throttle control on PC/Steam deck? I have only played it on switch where it was a binary "no throttle/full throttle" situation, but I'm not sure if that's due to the switch triggers not being variable or if that's just how the game is.

Alternatively, any other good dirt racing games on Steam Deck?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

I know its not really a sim, but does anyone know if the World of Outlaws game has throttle control on PC/Steam deck? I have only played it on switch where it was a binary "no throttle/full throttle" situation, but I'm not sure if that's due to the switch triggers not being variable or if that's just how the game is.

Alternatively, any other good dirt racing games on Steam Deck?

Have you heard the good word about Wreckfest? Also Dirt Rally 2 still a pretty solid choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

njsykora posted:

Have you heard the good word about Wreckfest? Also Dirt Rally 2 still a pretty solid choice.

I meant dirt oval racing sorry I should have clarified. Sprint cars, late models, etc.