Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Norns posted:

Yeah. Functionally the same as a g27 with a few less buttons.

And sequential shift mode!

Realistically its a great deal as long as the G25 is in decent shape, if it's been heavily used then there's the obvious risk as with any second hand hardware that it may give up the ghost on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Ziploc posted:

I enjoyed. Really like the way that car drives.

And sounds.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Bentai posted:

http://www.derekspearedesigns.com/dsd-american-chassis.html
No price yet, site says it "won't be cheap" soooo not sure how to read into that.

Not sure what it does that my GT Omega stand can't do :shrug:

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Bentai posted:

I kinda cringe that this is one of the highlight pictures:

Grand Theft Karto

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

crossposting to say that we're about to start the 12 hours of Sebring in iRacing with 3 GT teams.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635542&goto=lastpost

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Supersonic posted:

Loving the new sounds from the AC update that dropped a few days ago!

Mine wont install and Steam keeps giving some bullshit line about disk read error :argh:

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Fayez Butts posted:

Happened to me too. Do a verification of the local cache, and it should download some more poo poo and work.

Full reinstall sorted it.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

njsykora posted:

Also Automobilista is back on Steam :toot:
Has anything changed?

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

GhostDog posted:

Also looking for car/track suggestions for AC this weekend. Sunday 20 GMT as usual.

njsykora posted:

I spent about half an hour throwing the Ginetta GT4 car in there around Donington and that's a good time.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Doesn't that clash with Gooncar?

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

njsykora posted:

apparently gRally isn't quite dead yet, they made a dev blog post which is horribly formatted on their god awful website about the co-driver. Which sounds like it's just gonna be a converted version of the AC co-driver app. I'm still not convinced this is ever coming out though.

I thought you meant GeneRally and was briefly excited that GR2 wasn't dead after all :(

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

holocaust bloopers posted:

Almost May and there's been no official preview of F1 2016 yet.
I wonder if they'll include both versions of qualifying :xd:

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

There's a similar established system at race2play.com which I used for a bit before I jumped to iRacing. If this actually works it could be useful.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

giogadi posted:

I'm having a great time trying to do better with no driving aids in Forza Apex. I'm kinda new to racing sims, so I have a question for y'all: when braking before a tight turn, if I ever hear the tires squeal, does that mean I didn't brake optimally? That is, should I always aim to apply the brake gently enough to not get any tire squeal?

I tried to experiment on a straight-away to see how to minimize my stopping distance, and it seemed like in some cases having just a little squeal at the end of the braking seemed to do best. Although I also imagine that will wear the tires. It probably also depends on the car and tires I'm using? Man this game is fun as poo poo

giogadi posted:

Thanks, that makes sense. So any time I'm hearing noise from the tires it means I'm losing grip and losing stopping potential.

I was doing some Googling around and it also seems like you're supposed to downshift as you brake, to kind of use engine braking to help you stop? Does that sound right? I don't drive stick IRL, but aren't you also supposed to also hit the throttle a little when you downshift? Is that where the heel-toe thing comes in?

I got so many questions, this is all so interesting.

If you're hearing squeal from braking but it isn't affecting your ability to make the corner, then you're probably fine - think of the squeal as an early warning sign that you're approaching the limit of what your tyre can do. Over extended periods, repeatedly taking the tyre up to the edge of performance like that will likely cause overheating and wear and that limit will get shorter (maybe - I don't know if Forza really models this) but occasional squeaking shouldn't hurt much.

If squeal is accompanied by lock-up then yes, you're overdoing it and you will be losing time as the tyres lose grip and slide across the surface of the tarmac. Either the front tyres slip while the rears retain braking grip and you lose your turning ability which sends you straight on whilst you're trying to corner (variously referred to as 'understeer', 'push', or 'tight'). Alternatively the rear tyres slide whilst the front is still trying to brake ('oversteer', or 'loose') and your momentum causes the rear of the car to try to overtake the front. This is why brake balance matters in setup changes - as you change the distribution of relative braking forces between the front and rear of your car to suit the circuit so that all tyres lose grip at around the same point and then adjust your driving inputs to make sure you don't reach that point.

What you described is engine braking, yes. As you are downshifting, the driven axle is spinning faster than the revolution of the gears, so as you declutch and the gears regain their connection to the axle the different rates of spin come into conflict and split the difference - there's a brief moment where the engine revs and gearing is retarding the rate at which the axle is spinning (so you get a 'bonus' braking effect) and the spin of the axle is dragging on the engine's revolution and increasing the revs. It can cause engine damage if you do it too hard too often but is part of racing technique.

Blipping the throttle is all part of this too, by giving a little gas as you downshift you reduce the differing relative rates of spin on the engine and axle and so you smooth out the gearshift transition - without it the engine can lurch and your car can lose momentum whilst shifting, or on some cars the gearbox will outright refuse to change gear at all unless you blip. Blipping also is a method of affecting your braking, because giving some gas to spin the driven axle reduces the likelihood of that wheel locking up and so effectively adjusts your brake balance. And yes, that's why heel-and-toe is a thing because blipping whilst downshifting on a car with a clutch means you need to operate three pedals with only two feet, so you brake with the toes of your right foot, twist your right ankle so that your heel covers the accelerator, and then operate the clutch with your left foot whilst briefly tapping the accelerator with your right heel.

It all sounds horrendously complicated but like everything else, it all slips into place once you don't have to consciously process it all (and no, normal road driving with a manual shift car doesn't involve any of this racing technique silliness).

Roller Coast Guard fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 8, 2016

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Nerdrock posted:

Hi Sim Racing thread :

I've been away from this for a bit, but I just wanted to toss out there:

I convinced my friend with a Consumer Oculus Rift to pick up Project CARS, and I gave him my old Logitech Driving Force GT.

We live in the goddamned future. It is the most immersive, amazing computer racing experience you can possibly imagine. Worth every single penny.

I just need to come up with a lot of pennies, now.

:tipshat:

Come up with more pennies for Assetto Corsa and/or iRacing so you can come and Gooncar it up with us :)

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Comedy Asian Championship option: Macau

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

GhostDog posted:

In other AC news, Kunos is shutting down the track and car modding section of their forums due to the amount of ripped content shared and discussed there.

AC was pretty explicitly advertised as a modding platform so while this isn't exactly surprising it is still funny. Racing sim development has been eating its own tail with 'our customers will fill the blanks in our game with content of their own making stolen from other games' since the days of F1-2002 so they can't exactly claim ignorance now.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

That's.....actually kind of a big deal.

Cool stuff.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Shine posted:

Are there any sims or sim-lites with a sort of co-op mode, with human players on the same team à la Formula 1 Constructors Championship? I just grabbed a Logitech Momo from a moving clearance and my girlfriend asked if that sort of game exists.

Not quite what I think you're asking, but iRacing has endurance events with mid-race driver swaps included and their pro-level events like the Not-F1 World Championship have the drivers organised into teams (I'm assuming somebody is tracking the team points as well as the drivers and that there are team prizes as well).

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

BeRandom posted:

Alright, I threw in my $5 and installed the game. Did some laps around Leguna Seca with the Global MX-5. The game feels really good, now I just need goons to race with.

I think we're starting Gooncar again some time in the next month or two, in the meantime get into #racinggoons

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Norns posted:

I'd kill for some oval racing that wasnt iRacing.

Does AC have any decent oval track/car mods?

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

GhostDog posted:

:siren: Server won't start, ticket opened but no race today :siren:

sorry

Just going to take this opportunity to remind everyone that Gooncar iRacing is doing some off-season races starting tonight :getin:

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

GhostDog posted:

I also subscribed to Sim Racing System to give it a try, a good idea and works fine but needs to reach critical mass. It probably won't though.

Have you ever tried Race2Play?

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Lou Takki posted:

So I've finally gotten into iracing and I'm addicted now haha.

I'm still racing in the rookie series, mostly the MX-5 cup on the road courses. My question is how much difference is tire degradation actually making over the course of one of these 10-20 lap races.

I feel like I lose grip on turn-in after a handful of laps but maybe that's just me losing my focus?

In a relatively short road race and a relatively tame car like the MX-5 you won't see significant tyre wear - at the end of a full fuel stint in a GT3 race or 100 laps of a NASCAR oval there is significant loss of performance though (especially on the oval, since the bulk of the work through constant fast left turns is being done by the front-right). You can see how much your tyres have worn as well as pressures and temperatures at the end of the race by going into the garage tab after the finish, you probably have 95% or so tread remaining at the end of Mazda Cup so the tyres are still nearly new.

Also join us in Gooncar.

Larrymer posted:

Me personally, I don't really notice it much. Sometimes my fastest laps come late in races. :shrug:
At the end of the race you're dragging much less weight in fuel around with you :science:

Roller Coast Guard fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 17, 2016

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

My new enemy is Helicon, but other than that it was ok.

:keke:

I don't remember what I did to you.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

njsykora posted:

Mas du Clos
I had never heard of this track until you just mentioned it but wow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMQXjzC39g0&t=99s

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

njsykora posted:

- 397 owns rFactor 2 completely. The source code and IP are theirs. ISI now just licences rFactor 1.

That ... sure is a business model

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Jehde posted:

Dirt Rally's tarmac has always been iffy. It's the gravel where the game shines.

Oddly enough, this was the case with Richard Burns Rally too.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

GutBomb posted:

Has everyone in this thread moved beyond Assetto Corsa at this point? I still find it the most fun of the realistic Sims for PC and the easiest to make track mods for. I'm currently working on a new track for it, the road course at New Hampshire Motor Speedway. I could use some help testing it out so if anyone is interested I can send over a copy.

Anything that involves driving the NHMS roval a whole bunch sounds good.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Aside from iRacing, does any other sim have a decent online structure and community?

(not that iRacing's community doesn't have its share of terribles too)

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Norns posted:

Did they change something with the Skip in iRacing? I did a few practice laps around the nordschleife and something feels diffrent. Good diffrent
Yes, they adjusted some characteristic which was generating on-throttle-understeer in the old model so the steering is much more lively under acceleration.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Gramps posted:

Just got Assetto Corsa in the steam sale. I went with it over P.Cars because of the mod support. Any goon recommended essential mods I should be on the lookout for?

Same question but Automobilista. I already went and got CART Extreme though.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Thief posted:

Best mods are user created tracks.

A lot of AC mods are quick ports over from rFactor and generally they're pretty ugly and sloppy so give those a miss.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

I think part of the reason I don't play sim racing games often is I have no loving idea what I'm doing. Picked up project CARS yesterday because it has Vive support, and that was all nice and neat and immersive but oh my god actually driving is a nightmare even with the game doing the shifting for me.

Don't think I finished a single lap of a track in an hour :v:

Pick a relatively short simple track and a relatively sane car ( I don't know what options they would be in PC but something like a Mazda MX-5 at Lime Rock or Brands Hatch Indy would be perfect). You will crash and spin a bunch to begin with until you get a feel for it, we all do, but more so if your first taste of the game is an F1 car at the Nordschleife or some crazy poo poo.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

njsykora posted:

- THE ONLINE PASS IS BEING KILLED TO DEATH AND NUKED FROM ORBIT

So RF2 is just going to be a straightforward old fashioned buy2play model?

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Norns posted:

Raceroom does sales and bundles pretty regularly. You can also test drive any car unlike iRacing.

iRacing's bloody-minded refusal to do any form of try-before-you-buy is so frustrating sometimes :argh:

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

GhostDog posted:

I liked the driving in 2016 well enough and unlike the other sims there's an actual "game" in there, but in the end stopped playing it because the FFB (like all Codemasters games) is garbage (EDIT: well, subpar at least), the graphics look bad on my "monitor too close to face" setup because the AA is the worst I have ever seen, and a host of smaller issues like the insanely terrible UI.

I need to try F1 2016 again since I barely played it. Any useful guide out there for how I set up a G27 to feel like it's not complete garbage?

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

E: Comedy option

"I call it the Marussia"

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Laguna Seca is a great track to drive solo but not good to race on. Which makes it a perfect track for Assetto Corsa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Vando posted:

Yep, I think it's evolved that way to get around issues with using real life logos etc and is almost entirely install-and-forget.

Pretty much, iRacing can't officially support anything that enables mass scale copyright infringements but having a third party like Trading Paints provide the function gives them plausible deniability when everybody wants to plaster Marlboro and Hooters logos all over their cars.