Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

jabro posted:

If people can wait it out they will get some killer deals on used sim equipment in a couple months.
That's what I'm hoping for. VR setups have already started popping up for near reasonable prices.

Steen71 posted:

Nicki Thiim has been using iRacing for a long time; he's not "jumping into a sim [he's] not used to and spinning out". And I've been simracing for 22 years, and I still think there's something seriously off about iRacing's slip angles.
I've always felt iracing's tire model was a little off, I personally like rfactor2 better. Assetto Corsa feels too grippy most of the IMO.

Replaced the failed HDD on the sim a couple months ago. Went to plug more memory and a slightly faster used CPU and now the SSD has taken a crap. Almost like 8-10 year old stuff wears out. Then I broke my foot so the whole thing is sitting torn apart to deal with later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Finally getting around to upgrading my rig since it's been around five years. Is there a write up somewhere in this thread comparing the various VR setups? Similar question for pedals and bases. I'm leaning towards the fanatec clubsport base and trying to figure out their wheel options and how their whole system works.

edit: For iracing and rf2

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jan 7, 2021

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Thanks for the feedback on things, especially the VR. I'll probably just buy into the Fanatec world for everything. I'll be doing 90% open wheel so I'll probably start with their *cheap formula wheel.

Oh and it's all going to be built into this old/scrap formula ford chassis

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Coworker just upgraded his VR and is selling me his Rift S cheap. Should be good enough for a while and make sure I can do VR before I spend a bit more for a Quest 2 or a lot more for something else.

Headed to pick up the frame in a bit then start cutting. Will be using the old G27 to mock things up roughly and get an idea of where things will sit. Undecided if I'll mount the wheel base up front and use a steering column and adapter or if I'll put it right at the dash link normal, don't usually use many buttons but it would be nice to have the option.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Quest 2 link cable finally showed up so I sat down for a couple hours and tried to get a few games going. Project Cars 2 looks incredible but doesn't detect my pedals. Assetto Corsa looks and runs amazing, spent a lot of time playing this one. rFactor2 I need to read through the setup and get that working well because this is the main sim I race. iRacing runs like absolute garbage, maxed out around 13fps with everything turned all the way down.

New wheel base, wheel and pedals arrive Tuesday then we get to start making it all work together and fit the frame.

edit: iRacing runs great over HDMI, 90+ fps unless it's a massive field, with everything turned up.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Fanatec shipping seems to be getting better. Ordered on the 8th and everything arrived yesterday (25th). When I ordered one was marked out of stock until the 29th and another until the 16th. Haven't had a chance to play with them yet but I did take everything out of the box and looked it over, certainly looks like a massive upgrade to my g27.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

So a few years ago, weeks before the announcement of the entry level direct drive wheel from Fanatec I ordered the following Clubsport stuff: Wheel Base V2.5, Lenkrad Formula Carbon (wheel), Pedals V3, Shifter, Magnetic Paddle Module and Pedals V3 Damper Kit. I was going to put everything into an old formula ford chassis to replicate my formula ford race car. I got as far as rough mounting the wheel base and modifying the pedals, making them narrower to fit the chassis, then I had some health issues... Three and a half years later the race car is sold and these things are collecting dust. I'm not going to be racing open wheel so it doesn't make sense to use the chassis I had started on. Guess I'll grab a non formula wheel too.

Not sure if I'm going to stick with VR (quest 2) or go triples but what's the recommended chassis for sedan style seating at various price points these days? Say 250, 500, 750, 1k range. Going to start watching marketplace but if something doesn't pop in the next month or so I'll buy new.

edit: playseat trophy and some of the Next level stuff looks decent enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Excellent thank you, time to start watching and shopping. Of course during the great sell off of late 2022 I sold a perfectly good race seat that would have been perfect for this.

Heck the TR-80 is on sale for $500, that's not bad - https://trakracer.com/collections/simulators/products/tr80-racing-simulator-mk4

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 17, 2024