Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
My dad was into racing games in the 80's and 90's, so I grew up playing Pole Position, Pitstop, Indianapolis 500, Test Drive and Test Drive 2, etc. Didn't do much after those early games until the original Gran Turismo and Forza, then played Unreal Tournament nonstop until recently getting into modern sims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

blk96gt posted:

I built this without plans. I just found a bunch of pictures of the Ricmotech cockpit and copied it as best I could. Has held up well so far. I can get more detailed pictures/dimensions if you want. I already had the seat, otherwise I would have grabbed the cheapest regular car seat I could find.

Nice setup!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

DarthJeebus posted:

I'm playing pCars right now on a 22" single monitor (with a controller for now), roughly 33 inches away from it and the project immersion FoV calculator says my hFov should be 34*. Tried it, and it looks like I'm driving with binoculars strapped to my face. It's not taking screenshots for some reason but basically the top of the steering wheel down in the bottom 1/3rd of my screen. Did I mess up the calculations wrong or is this indeed optimal? How can I improve ~my immersion~ short of investing in a triple monitor setup?

I mean it's not a huge deal to play with lower than ideal FoV but I do have a lot of trouble judging corners when it looks like everything is going by at warp speed.

As noted on that calculator, it's not really ideal when you have a single small monitor. In your case, I'd ignore the "correct" FoV and increase it until it feels comfortable to look at. As for the steering wheel taking up tons of screen space, you can either adjust the head camera/seat position so that it's higher in the car (I think pCars allows this), or you could use the dash or hood cam, which are both similar to the first-person cameras but without showing the inside of the car.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I'm going to jump trucks around and fly my dad down here so he can do it and it'll be the best time ever.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Anybody who doesn't know what a Stadium Super Truck is, please watch this video and then buy Automobilista.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I love the impossible trucks.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Finally, Xbox One games will be played with the right type of RAM.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

moxieman posted:

You're not allowed to be ok with a free game man you need to be real angry about all the faults like an entitled stupid nerd, come on.

People are allowed to criticize PC racing sims in the PC racing sim thread. If you can't handle that, then stay out of the thread.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

xzzy posted:

Hope that game is super fun because man it looks like garbage.

The car models are pretty decent but the scenery looks like it came off the original xbox.

It has the impossible trucks and that is what matters most IMO.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Psy890 posted:

Free weekend for F1 2015 on steam.

And all of them are on sale. I do PCars for my formula fix, but I might grab an older F1 edition to have when Pops visits since he loves the real cars. What's the best of the early F1s?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Ziploc posted:

I threw up in my mouth when one of their "who are you" options was 'Youtube/Twitch Streamer'

They're the wrong type of video game player.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

AnimalChin posted:

These aren't sims, but has anyone tried Trackmania Turbo or Racecraft?

I haven't played that particular Trackmania, but the other ones I've played are a blast. Easily worth the few bucks they cost during Steam sales.

Apparently I own Racecraft :psyduck: but I've not tried it. Must've been part of a bundle.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

tater_salad posted:

If you owned the predicesdor to racecraft, you now own racecraft. The name escapes me at the moment.

Ahh, Victory: The Age of Racing. Another game I must've gotten in a bundle and have never played.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Norns posted:

I still haven't tried RRE. Maybe it's time.

Try it, especially if you have headphones; it has incredible sound design. The AI is pretty decent, too.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

simble posted:

Hah... hundreds...

Seriously. A lower-end steering wheel can cost hundreds on its own. I haven't watched the whole video, but I'll bet he spent thousands on the wheel and pedals alone.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Justin Time! posted:

What do you guys recommend if I just want to play dirt rally casually? I thought the g27 would be a fine choice but I can't find them for sale anymore, and the g29 doesn't include a gearshift and shelling out even more for that doesn't seem like it's worth it. And the t300rs is really pricey if I'm buying the h shift and 3 pedal set. I guess I'm really looking for an affordable wheel with clutch pedals and a H shift so I can pretend I'm actually driving a stick shift car.

The G27 is probably still your best bet if you want that third pedal and H-box, but it's harder to find (especially new) than it used to be. Amazon got cleared out on Black Friday when it was $191 and since then it's been price gouge city. :(

A cursory Google turned up a few reasonable prices, albeit from stores I've never heard of:

https://www.bigboxlive.com/logitech-g27-racing-wheel?language=en&currency=USD
http://www.duckdeals.com/logitech-g27-racing-wheel?language=en&currency=USD

Other than that, check eBay and your local Craigslist for used.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Poetic Justice posted:

Yeah I was reading up on that too. I'm not great at that kinda stuff and I have more money that I do free time, so I'd rather just buy something to replace my 27 pedals all together instead of putting $140 into them.

As a stopgap, you could get these springs for your G27 pedals. I put them into mine and they feel much nicer than the stock ones, especially the brake one.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Rated PG-34 posted:

How are the clutch and throttle? I did just the brake and then stuck the old brake spring in the clutch. I still have to get used to the new clutch feel.

The clutch and throttle are stiffer than stock, but the brake one makes the biggest difference IMO. I wouldn't bother buying the other two.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

xzzy posted:

Hmm, apparently we've all been wasting money on fancy wheel sets.

http://i.imgur.com/KOd5pYc.gifv

That reminds me of the first PC wheel my dad ever had. It was basically a steering wheel with a dowel coming out the back, and you'd slide the dowel into a little doohickey clamped to the desk, and strap a mouse to the top. Turning the wheel would turn the dowel against the mouse ball (remember those?), which would send mouse steering input to the game. It sucked rear end.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

E: wrong thread

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Are there any sims or sim-lites with a sort of co-op mode, with human players on the same team à la Formula 1 Constructors Championship? I just grabbed a Logitech Momo from a moving clearance and my girlfriend asked if that sort of game exists.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Happiness is driving the Nordschleife in any car in any sim. Just a hella fun track and the scenery is gorgeous.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

skooma512 posted:

Driving go karts in Project Cars is probably the most fun I've had in a racing game in a long time.

At least since Forza 4 nordschlieffe haha. I really hope the full version of Forza 6 comes to pc with G27 support soon.

Ohsh would suggest you try Automobilista if you like karts. I don't know enough about them to say what's really different, but apparently Automobilista better simulates some of the nuances of IRL karting.

PCARS Superkart on Willow Springs Horse Thief Mile (and the full track) is hella fun. The Superkart has the cornering ability to fly through the track, so you zip up and down the hill like a roller coaster. My dad actually had to stop watching because he'd get dizzy when I'd turn back downhill.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Oh my god, yes. :homebrew:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

BeRandom posted:

Alright, I threw in my $5 and installed the game. Did some laps around Leguna Seca with the Global MX-5. The game feels really good, now I just need goons to race with.

I recommend getting your dad a subscription and doing ovals with him. Did iRacing with Pops tonight on Street Stock and Dallara Dash and we had a blast.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I was kind of hyped for this one because I love old F1 cars but I'm kind of disappointed now.

Man, Pops had a field day when he visited and we played sims. I showed him the PCARS Classic Lotus pack and he started talking about what he knew about each car from the F1 stuff he followed decades ago. When I visited him, he showed me the old models he'd built of a bunch of those cars, and a ton of others. I took a bunch of pictures and used them as reference to paint some of his iRacing cars.

My favorite from that pack is, IIRC, the 1986. I forget the model name but that thing is a loving blast to drive.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

This Assetto Corsa F1 Ferrari is a loving blast. The brakes in these top-level racecars never cease to amaze me.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Helicon One posted:

Just going to take this opportunity to remind everyone that Gooncar iRacing is doing some off-season races starting tonight :getin:

Qualifying begins in about 40 minutes, and the race in about an hour.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

GhostDog posted:

If I can get it up and running I'll probably do AMS next sunday and then switch between AC and AMS every other weekend. AMS is the better racing game without a doubt even if it doesn't look as shiny, so I hope people give it a chance.

I hope this means the occasional bloodbath Super Truck race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r15aVcEduJg&t=74s

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Is there an FOV calculator for AMS? I want to attempt playing it in virtual desktop on my rift though i'll probably give up immediately because gently caress 2D racing.

http://www.projectimmersion.com/fov/index.php

Same as the rFactor calculator (AMS is listed there).

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

ShineDog posted:

What's the best career mode in pc sim racing?

If you don't care about super realism, then check out the Codemasters titles, like Grid Autosport. Project CARS also has a career mode.

Forza is getting a PC release soon, but the preview version doesn't have wheel support, and it's hard to say if the devs will really care given that the vast majority of people will happily use an Xbox pad.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Last I saw, the Forza devs said the game will work with "common" wheels or some poo poo. Dunno if that just means Xbox-compatible wheels or some other nonsense, or maybe it'll be fine and there's no need to fret. WHO KNOWS?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

The only Gran Turismo and Forza I've played are the first in each series, and yeah, it was cool as hell to take some lovely production car (especially a used one) and gradually upgrade it into a mean driving machine. The fully upgraded Mitsubishi Eclipse in GT was incredibly good for its cost, staying competitive until basically endgame poo poo IIRC.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Tony Montana posted:

Firstly the Kart sim in PCars. I just love it. I played the PCars career for a while where I'm racing that 80s turboed as gently caress BMW on Ace, it's also a lot of fun and requires some complex throttle control. But the Kart sim is the sheer fun one for me, feels so drat good.

Check out Automobilista if you want more kart action. Lots of kart-specific tracks and such, and from what OhsH says it better simulates some of the nuances of IRL kart handling.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

doughboy1013 posted:

Any of y'all use an ultrawide monitor for your sims?

Don't have the space for a triple-head, but want a wider field of view.

I use one. It's not quite as nice as triplehead of course, but it was definitely a worthwhile upgrade over 16:9 for racing and flight sims. Just keep in mind that monitor sizes are measured diagonally, so you need to get a "larger" ultrawide than your current monitor or else you will lose vertical size. For example, a 27" ultrawide is quite a bit shorter than a 27" 16:9 monitor, so if you have a 27" 16:9, then ideally you'll want to get a 34" ultrawide. Measure the vertical size of your monitor and compare that to the vertical size of any ultrawides you're looking at.

If you haven't purchased a monitor in a while, then look up Freesync and G-sync, and get a monitor that supports whichever of those your video card is capable of. These are replacements for v-sync that make your image much smoother, even if the framerate is jumping around. Freesync monitors are for modern AMD cards, G-sync monitors are for modern Nvidia cards (and are considerably more expensive, since they contain proprietary Nvidia hardware). There's probably a monitors thread in SH/SC with recommendations and poo poo.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Major Isoor posted:

Are there any Aussies in here, who still play games like Race 07? (or possibly Diry Rally...I've been increasingly tempted to get that, especially after the OP here said it's good)
Since I wouldn't mind having a drive with some of you guys, but last time I (accidentally) joined a US or European server, it was in Assetto Corsa and my ping was 5200!

I'm not in Australia, but you should absolutely get Dirt Rally because it is really loving fun.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

The Formula Gulf 1000 is a blast to drive. Pops and I were hotlapping around Dubai for an hour last night in PCARS and it might be my new favorite car. I'd never heard of this car before; it's basically a cheap Formula car powered by a 1000cc motorcycle engine.

They cost low 5-figures IRL so I wouldn't be surprised if OhsH buys one in a drunken frenzy to replace karting.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

njsykora posted:

Quoting from the NASCAR thread regarding Heat Evolution which came out today.

That's a serious bummer. The best offline NASCAR and WW2 games remain modded titles from the early 2000s. :pcgaming:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Ohsh is Real Mad™ about discord keybinds.

Binding something to button 4 on a steering wheel and Discord applying it to button 4 on your gamepad/flight stick is annoying. There are workarounds, but OhsH has a legit gripe there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

The 1960s Renault is a great option, too. It has the speed to compete with the 70s cars and is much more fun to drive than the other 60s cars, while not being as temperamental as my beloved Stratos.