Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
What's the best career mode in pc sim racing? I don't mind going back a bit.

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
The thing I want in my sim racer is notable personalities that behave differently and persist at least within a league. If im behind johnny arsehole I know he's going to block like a fucker, while this guy over here will always yield because he's timid. That might lead to a sense of real rivalry through the season, something I haven't seen since some of the older Codies games.

Hell, some of them would actually have angry rivals barge into your garage after you pitt them. That was fun.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Mine is nowhere near as good as yours and I find the gsync improvement dramatic. Not having to choose between input lag or tearing is a glorious thing.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Larrymer posted:

Adaptive sync was added in the newest nvidia drivers for multiple monitors. I haven't tried it out yet but hopefully it helps with some of this for triples a bit.

Adaptive sync is fine but it just dials between tearing and a synced 60. It's much better than syncing down to 30 but you've still got tearing and that smidge of input lag even at 60, though it's not quite a big deal for racers.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Forza 6 ruins itself with spins.

Remember the turismo experience where you take a lovely banger and slowly tune it up until you begrudgingly move on to better things because dammit you love that lovely punto?

Forza 6 just throws cars and money at you. I got some mclaren thing after my 3rd race, and then a lotus f1 car shortly after that. If you start a season and buy a car at the start it just hands you a car pre tuned and modded for that season, which led me to believe seasons were all designed for stock racers when any modding took me over the league limit. (Infuriatingly league perfomance limits aren't posted anywhere clearly). I don't think I ever used one of my cars in more than 2 series.

I can't say I get it. A sense of ownership and customisation.of your garage is the big thing that differentiates the console style simracers from the pc ones and it just throws all that garage cham out the window. It's got free race if you want to try a shiny car.

Also there's no qualifying in career and it just sits you towards the back of the pack, which means keeping the Ai set to relatively low skill and overtaking constantly to get the mandatory podiums, rather than having a close race with the leaders throughout.

Ugh. The career sucks. Doubly so because the driving itself is huge fun, particularly the terrifying pooled water.

Horizon is a wonderful car holiday though and you should buy it.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Turdsdown Tom posted:

To be fair, I still find the game playable on Expert AI skill (which I believe is just under Unbeatable? could be wrong). But then again, if I can overtake a field of 15 cars in 3 laps with a car a few performance points under the class average....doesn't that say something about the game itself? Maybe I've just played so many racing games that even hard AI isn't a challenge, but I find the game to be piss easy even with most of the assists turned off. The tracks are great, the physics are great, the career mode sucks and online play isn't consistent enough to be worth devoting all your time to. Combine that with the fact that there's no real online progression system and everything just kind of sucks.

I miss Project Gotham Racing. Now there's a game that had real flair to it.

I can't remember the difficulty but that was my view. Even if the Ai could be made competitive you can't have good racing when you're inherently in the back or middle of the pack in short arcadey races. You've got a choice of gain a few places maybe vs constant overtaking.

It's such a weird stupid design choice all round.

And yes. Pgr is wonderful - I personally hold the forza horizon games to be very close to pgr in some ways - taking the edge off f6s physics makes for something wonderfully drifty and cool.

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 16, 2016

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Difficulty should kind of peak in the group Bs because those cars were absurd monsters that didn't have the niceties of modern cars. (I haven't played the game)

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I don't know what the devs were smoking. It's the worst handling I've played in years. The transition between drift and grip is just insane.

Play literally any of the criterion nfs games, particularly the first. They are all excellent arcade racers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Iracings ai is some of the best in the biz. I believe that and ams2 are kind of the best regarded in the modern suite of sims