Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

IceAgeComing posted:

we apparently had the same first race game

You youngins, my first sim was vette! For mac.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vette!

Open world racer with Cops, traffic, and modeled san fran to drice arund wirh, you could gently caress with gravity and do barrel rolls for days off of the hills.. seriously I want to play it now.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah pole position on the atari was my first racer, but I'd say vette was the first "sim" I played since you could spin out and also gravity and real streets

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Bentai posted:

http://www.derekspearedesigns.com/dsd-american-chassis.html
No price yet, site says it "won't be cheap" soooo not sure how to read into that.

If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Is scemobilista going to have oval racing? Seems like a lot of right turns there.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 24, 2016

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

How is beam ng drive?
I got a newly built pc and want something current to play but for true "racing" I'll stick to iracing and probably automopimpbolista

Beam ng drive seems like kind of a chill open world driver with cool physics .. is this correct?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

xzzy posted:

Yeah it's just a physics toy. The driving part is pretty poo poo, I wouldn't call it a simulator at all. But if you like to wreck cars, it's great!

Why wouldn't I get wreck fest then?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

OhsH posted:

last i checked their shifting model meant unless you were using automatic you would have about a second and a half between shifts. Completely fine if you use automatic mode vOv

so then back to American and euro truck sim then

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Check craigslist and keep an eye on amazon they had a dfgt in warehouse deals for 75bux

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

DarthJeebus posted:

I went and got me a used DFGT today, but I'm noticing the steering is super stiff. It's like I'm fighting really hard against the gears and any sudden corrective movements requires so much effort that it nearly rips it from my desk. This can't be normal right? I turned the centering spring down to 0 in the profiler but beyond that I can't figure out how to loosen it up. (BTW playing pcars)

EDIT: Never mind, it just took a lot of tweaking of the FFB vs Tire Force values. Turns out low tire force with high FFB seems to give the best results, but I'm pretty new to wheels in general so *shrug*

Since you are new to ffb do a search for "driving force gt settings [game]" it will help establish a good ffb baseline

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

How autopimpbaliata game ahem sim handle 3 monitors do I need to do Nvidia surround or just fire it up and say 3 please

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

CaseFace McGee posted:

Stock Car Extreme handles Surround triples fine, so Pimpballista should do that fine. You should use surround because it's awesome. I only turn off surround when I am doing single monitor recording.

Here's my issue with surround.. I normally use my pc with 2 monitors, also Nvidia hates me and even though all monitos I can do 1600x900 x3 it limits me to somethingx768.
My ghetto 3 screen will get upgraded to 3 similar screens at some point but right now I have an hp that can only do x900 and 2 others that can do 1080

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

So Microsoft is doing the reverse steam link/ steam console.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

xzzy posted:

Except it's already inferior to Steam because it's not a PC providing a console experience, it's a console experience being enforced on the PC. Like I said earlier.. no mods, limited configurability, and feature limited to the baseline spec of the xbox one.

Nowhere did I say it was a good idea.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Eyud posted:

I still like to chill and race with a controller sometimes. Maybe when I have a dedicated cockpit I can just jump into it'll be different but I think they'll end up adding wheel support to Forza Apex at some point too.

On this line.. how unforgiving is automobiliata, I'm thinking of grabbing a steam link and do some 720(probably not going to get to 1080 on wifi) and would love play some stadium trucks or dirt racing with a 360 controller. Should I just get ac instead?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

xzzy posted:

Hope that game is super fun because man it looks like garbage.

The car models are pretty decent but the scenery looks like it came off the original xbox.

it's pretty early access, and I think it's $21 in the US.. as long as the cars drive well and I can see what my brake points are etc I could care less about Perdy trees.

Edit it's 31 still a good deal

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 3, 2016

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

What is the choice for intermediate wheels?
Belt drive is better than gear right?
It seems like the market of 250 medium quality wheels is gone, the g27 or csr elite was going to be my next upgrade to my game and both are either not avaliable or price gouging.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Thrustmaster doesn't have a clutch and gears under 500 do they?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

T300 or TX ferrari 458 edition?
Both are the same price and look similar
No clue how I'd mount either on my big boy wheel stand so now I'd need to grab one of those too.. budgets are for jerks.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

T300 comes with metal backed wheel, TX has plastic with Moar buttans.
Both are 300 on amazon and have pedals that look like they suck worse than my dfgt pedals.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Does anyone have good controller setup advice for racing Sims right now it's way too twitchy with a xb360 Controller.

Also impossible trucks are hard and fun

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Besides pedals what's the difference between t300 and 500?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Price of 300rs with real pedals is going to be 400-450.
500 comes with good pedals and can be had used for 450 or new for 500

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

What's the to recommendation for racing game for couch and Controller. I was using nfs shift but 1 I can't drift and 2 it ate my save after like 8hrs of game play so lost the will to play

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'm not opposed to making the controller not garbage, I have automobolista and even carts are hard as hell with an XB360 controller.
What are the general things to tweak..
I have grid1 which is kind of fun, I looked into autosport but some of the reviews said you need to grind a lot to get stuff..
Also I love how the sale has all the DLC for around $15 but the season pass is $29, and the complete pack is $70

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

then grid it is.. I already have 10 sims that require me to do setups, I want games.. that I can fire up on steam link and sit on my cough and get fat drinking beer and racing.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

doughboy1013 posted:

Bought a T300rs to replace an old rear end G25. T3PA Pro pedals on their way.

So this is what it feels like to have more than two buttons on the wheel. Regret not upgrading earlier.

I hope fantec gets their mid tier stuff out or this is what I'll be doing in the fall/winter of 2016. Spring and summer means my other cheap hobby woodworking eats up a chunk of my income that could go to wheels. I just bought a nice wheel setups worth of a table saw, and haven't even made all my jigs and stuff which is probably 200 more in limber and bits

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Did you try re-defining the controller.. some games sees it as a totally new input.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Shine posted:

I haven't played that particular Trackmania, but the other ones I've played are a blast. Easily worth the few bucks they cost during Steam sales.

Apparently I own Racecraft :psyduck: but I've not tried it. Must've been part of a bundle.

If you owned the predicesdor to racecraft, you now own racecraft. The name escapes me at the moment.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

njsykora posted:

Automobilista's disappeared from Steam because someone filed a copyright claim against it. Rumour is it was Formula One which is pretty scary.

I got my version.. woudl stink if they got sunk thoguh.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Dear . fantec release your mid tier poo poo please.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I use to have a track about 30 min away but once I could afford $75 a week to rent and race it was closed :( :(

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Is it free? Who pays for the servers?

Looks to be ad supported on the right hand side.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

T300 and pedals usd 400 for setup
Driving force gt $100 or so used but 2 pedals and onky sequential shifting

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Abu Dave posted:

Are the Activision NASCAR games anything but terrible? Not too worried about super simulation just want to race ovals.

They're poo poo.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The eutechnix games are bad 14 was buggy and had major issues and 15 is reskinned 14. It may be okay if you want a turn left with a controller experience, but I'd you want decent simulation you'll need to wait for 16 I think 16 ia the new (old good eutechnix staff) studios attempt at nascar.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Thanks for this fingers crossed I can stream it and use inputs from the steam box, this may be a perfect on the couch racing game.

is there a way I can pic a driuve, I'd rather not have this in my windows (SSD) drive, I'd rather have it on my game drive.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 5, 2016

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

xzzy posted:

They have instructions on the page:

Great thanks I would have assumed that this setting would have been in the windows store window somewhere silly me.
I actually had everything set to that drive, but somewhere somehow it changed.
I was also getting an error that means permissions are all F'd up, which also was fixed by picking the 2tb drive.
Why is Microsoft so awful?

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 5, 2016

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I confirm performance is odd.. I can triple screen iracing with medium settings,

I had to go to low to single monitor this on one screen with my work (not very intensive) client was on teh other 2.

Overall it's an arcadey racer that will be okay for couch settings or those who desire a career mode, From what I've played so far it's very much like grid autosport with the added ability to unlock cars as you progress. they need desperately to work on optimization, I doubt I can steam box this to my TV at 1080p
Also on medium settings I can't go above 720P.

In summary It's basically Microsoft presents Grid Autosport, but with no wheel support and worse performance, and microtransactions.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Norns posted:

If your tyres are quiet in forza you're not going fast.

Oh you are thinking about turning this lap?
Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Playing dirt to daytona.. figured yall should know.