Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

This is just like every iRacing session that I ever participated in, so if anything it is more realistic than ever. My wheel has been gathering dust lately and I was hoping of getting PCars 2 to get myself back into racing games again, especially if people end up playing online even a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Well, I was hoping the multiplayer scene would take off but they aren't even including the league racing tools until after launch so who knows when that happens. I just want to casually race other people like I did in iRacing without having to pay up the rear end to a company that just raises the prices instead of fixing core issues with their game. I had a good time with iRacing but unless they at the very least drop the monthly sub OR the individual price of content, I'm not going back most likely. Especially not after them raising the prices and reducing discounts.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

I'll probably say gently caress it and get PCars 2 as well. My criteria was just that as long as people aren't review bombing it on Steam and people making GBS threads on it completely here then it is probably fine for my filthy casual rear end.

Anyone know if it plays nice with the g27 or is my wheel "obsolete" now that the overpriced replacement came around.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

So is the multiplayer dead on arrival or are there open lobbies? That is the only thing I want from the multiplayer, be able to jump into sessions. If not I guess I might as well stick to Race 07 which incredibly still has a few open rooms, been a while since I checked though. Also are there dedicated servers?

Boar It fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 22, 2017

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Eyud posted:

I set up Crew Chief again and it's impressive how much stuff he's added since I last used it. It even knows corner names, earlier I was driving on Snetterton and he told me I was locking the brakes going into Nelson. Not that I know many corner names but it's cool anyway.

I'm guessing your "demo" was an old build or something because I tried this same setup (20 cars at Silverstone with me starting in the middle, no qualifying) and it was completely fine.

Speaking of a demo, I wish there was one. I have no idea if the game will work on my machine, I mean, it probably will but how well? I don't want to pay 60€ on steam either since GMG Is cheaper but if I get it there I can't refund it in case of problems. So my only option is to buy it on steam and then refund it and then buy it somewhere else cheaper, which is a hassle.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

peter gabriel posted:

What are your specs?

i7 920 @ 2.66 Ghz (First generation i processor but I see no reason in upgrading, I run all the games I want just fine)
GTX 770
16 GB Ram

Those are the three most important things at least.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Thanks. As long as I can run it on medium settings at 60 fps I'm happy.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

I've been wanting to get back into simracing for the past few weeks or so but iRacing is too drat expensive for me to subscribe to for the time being. But it seems like ACC is the next best thing when it comes to regular online races. So I'm thinking I should check that out, but I'm not sure which platform to use in order to find scheduled races. There appears to be a tonne of them out there, all with varying levels of activity. Any particular one that is recommended around here? I've acome cross Simgrid, Low Fuel Motorsport and simracing.gp so far at least. Being able to play against real players without having to commit to some hardcore league would be ideal, since the ability to play whenever I feel like it was the best part of iRacing. Seems like Simgrid at least has some races every day that you can sign up for without any prerequisites but I'll probably get demolished since there is no skillbased matchmaking from what I can see. (Probably due to the significantly lower playercount)

Edit:

Seems like you can manually pick which split to be a part of on Simgrid at least so that's better than nothing.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 1, 2021

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

I remember buying dirt rally pretty quick when it came out but I got absolutely wrecked by it. Turns out rally is hard.
Not having a proper handbrake made things a lot harder for me as well, I think at least. Since pressing a button on my steering wheel to apply it felt really unnatural. But maybe I just didn't stick with it for long enough.

Edit:

Gaben probed my mind, ACC and all dlc are on sale all of a sudden. Is any of the dlc a must have or should I stick with the base game for now?

Boar It fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 2, 2021

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Immolat1on posted:

At this point its hard to find servers running DLC tracks (at least in eastern US times). GT4 is completely dead on public servers. So I'd skip the DLCs unless you're interested in league racing. Intercontinental had the best racks IMO, that one was well worth it when the tracks were popular.

Less money to spend. Sounds good to me. :v:

Idea is to get good enough to sign up for the casual races provided on stuff like simracing.gp/simgrid and similar platforms. But not really going for a proper league so I guess I'll pick up the base game for now and see where that takes me.

shortspecialbus posted:

I'll counter by saying that while AI racing has its obvious limitations, the GT4 cars are extremely fun and Intercontinental and British tracks are incredibly fun. Donnington is probably my favorite current track, absolutely love it.

Yeah the content on offer seems quite good, if people are playing it a lot online in my region (EU) I'll consider getting them.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Vando posted:

Over the last decade I've spent both far too much on iRacing but also somehow under $200 per year. I spend more than that on one single holiday.

e: worked this out, 45 cars, 40 tracks, ~$1300 plus $80 per year sub (some years less with the deep discount offers). That's not even including the multibuy and 40+ discounts. So yeah they nickel and dime you but I'd rather pay that out over years than have to decide I want to blow $500 up front. If they want to talk about real scams: do they buy the F1 games every year?

I haven't played iRacing in years at this point. But I would like to get back into it eventually when I can justify the cost again. I just really wish they let you play the content you paid for offline. Still, with all the money iRacing costs, at least they are up front about it. Seeing the mention of "Pitcoins" on the F1 games' store pages immediately puts me off. To the point where I never felt like buying any of them. I despise funcoins to the point where I will gladly pay monthly for content if it means I won't have to put up with that poo poo. Alas I'll never ever be able to convince my friends to get iRacing since they would rather pay for funcoins in games that are totally not manipulating you.

But.. at the same time iRacing is really trying to have its cake and eat it too with the whole paid content and monthly fee on top. However that discussion has been had to death a million times by now and it won't change.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

bUm posted:

F1 22 having VR is excellent news. Hoping their revised tire model mentioned improves realism too--drove me nuts that F1 2021's driving mechanics are more difficult/finicky than more sim titles in terms of surprise snap oversteer and stuff.

The real pro change they need in F1 22, though, is for the AI on in/out laps to not still follow the racing line and completely destroy your practice run/qualifying by being slow as hell right on the apex of turns. :negative:

If you don't care about making your car/driver a pretty princess, they have literally no value at all. Seems weird to compare paying a monthly fee to play vs a completely optional cashing in on whales who want to dress up their car.

KillHour posted:

If I can't be a pretty princes for the price on the box, I don't want it.

It is more about how fake currencies are designed to be manipulative and make it harder for people to know how much they are spending on virtual items. If they listed actual prices in real world currencies then I wouldn't have as much of an issue with it. I have no idea how they do it in the F1 games but generally it is predatory and you can never buy the exact amount of their fake currency to buy the items you want. While I can't say it is great to see microtransactions normalized in games, there are plenty of instances where I would have bought something extra if it weren't for the fact that I can't pay for what I want without going through some funcoin currency. However I get why they exist from a business stand point. They cut down on processing fees and encourage people to spend more, win win. Also yes, the cash shop is optional but the advertising and the constant pushing for it in game menus etc is not. I prefer not seeing ads in my games.
But it is what it is, and most people don't mind them. Just my personal preference to try and avoid games like that when I can.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 1, 2022

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah f1’s tire model is weird. I think mediums are sort of overpowered and softs fall off too fast.

Who knows for sure since I’ve never driven an F1 car but that’s my feeling

I've always heard conflicting things. How the F1 games aren't "simulators" etc. But in truth, does it really matter if it is fun to play? Provided it still feels reasonably believable? Only tried F1 2021 for a few minutes with a controller so I can't really be a judge of that. Aside from iRacing where you can drive last year's Mercedes, I guess modded assetto corsa is the way to go for formula 1 cars. But AMS2 also added their own totally not f1-2022 cars which seem pretty cool.

Bit of a tangent, but I hope the F1 manager game turns out good. Didn't play a lot of motorsport manager but it was a good time. Having the official teams etc would be sweet.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 09:27 on May 2, 2022

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

njsykora posted:

Empty Box did a whole video on that subject some years ago, basically saying nothing is a "true" simulator, everything's just trying to get as close and believable as they can get and everyone has a different approach to that end goal. Splitting hairs over what the most "realistic" game is is a dumb argument, especially as we're increasingly reaching a point where the same car will drive almost exactly the same in different games because everyone's working off the same data.

And yes the not-F1 2022 cars in AMS2 are great, though the AI has a few issues with them like being unable to handle a DRS train so they end up closing DRS which makes it possible to pass 4-5 cars at once like they're tied to a tree on the Kemmel Straight at Spa.

Yeah exactly, seems to just be down to what you want to drive and which game you find the most appealing. Which is nice.
Might have to check out AMS2 if it ever goes on sale.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Anyone else having trouble with rFactor 2 wheel range? When I play ACC my wheel is perfectly 1:1 but in rFactor 2 no matter what I do the game insists on having some weird ratio where it either locks the range of my wheel or doesn't match it 1:1. I have a g27 and my buddy has a csl dd and neither of us can make sense of it. I tried setting the options in game to 900 degrees rotation and all that to no avail. I even tried looking at the controller json but all that did was reset all of my keybinds.

Also, anyone tried rFactor 2 in VR? I can run iRacing in VR sort of reliably but ACC is a beast apparently, but with rFactor 2 being older I was wondering if it is worth giving a shot.

Edit:

Messed around with it some more and when I set the wheel range to 900 in the game it seems to work for a while but the moment I start a new race or whatever it again just snaps to some random value so I can't get it to save.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 09:20 on May 6, 2022

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Is it just me or is rfactor 2 super slippery compared to other simulators? We drive the GT3 cars pretty well in ACC and then tried some GT3 BMW that is in the base package of rfactor 2, and it is super hard to drive by comparison. Same thing with the skip barber, driven it in iRacing just fine but the moment I even think about turning, the car just loses all grip. Is it a default setup problem or am I just bad? (Or maybe both) Because it is quite the struggle to keep the car on the track across the board with most cars that I have tried. Some formula 4 car that I found had loads of grip but that was the outlier.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Which is why they keep registering new accounts, so their IR is as low as the other newbies. if you just race rookies like normal you'll get matched against other people of your level (not rookies).

Its the people constantly making new accounts to kill rookies that are pretty shameful.

Not surprising at all that people 'smurf' in iRacing as well. Anything to not compete against people of your own skill level I guess.

Speaking of not winning much, the only win I have in iRacing was with my lovely old 360 controller before I got a wheel. It was an mx5 race and people kept crashing and rage quitting. My car was damaged too but I always finish my races regardless of what happens so I ended up first. :v: Too bad my iRating is still sub 1000 last time I played iRacing. I had a saftey rating of B at my peak in Ovals and C in road I think but I channelled James May every time I raced evidently.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Squiggle posted:

I am weirdly enthralled by the Brazilian stock cars in Automobilista 2. Something about the short, winding tracks and a bunch of Toyota Corollas bumping butts and buzzing all over the place seems so fun to me.

It's just odd the things that still aren't in or working right - no voiceover for the spotter/engineer calls (you can turn them on, but without also turning on radio subtitles, they never seem to talk), and I can't for the loving life of me figure out how to actually SELECT an option while using the G923's d-pad to move around the menus, so I have to keep leaning forward to use the mouse. It sure is excellent in VR, though, and I just set up CrewChief for the calls which seems to work fuckin gangbusters.

I've been catching up on the discourse on AMS2, and they just expanded their big physics rework to a bunch of the Formula cars so I think it's a nice time to be getting into it.

Does AMS2 feature online AI? Barely any games seem to support that. Me and a friend bought rFactor 2 dirtcheap in order to race with AI but it is such a hassle to set up that we sort of lost momentum on that front.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Squiggle posted:

It does! When you create a new online race, the opponent options let you set how big the grid is, how many human players to allow, and if you want to fill the rest with AI and their skill/aggression levels.

Oh nice. I wonder if that is due to AMS being based on rFactor code? So they sort of carried that over perhaps. I'll have to check it out once it goes on sale.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

GutBomb posted:

AMS2 is not based on rfactor, it's based on Project CARS 2, which also has AI available in online races.

Ah I had no idea. I could have sworn that I heard AMS 2 (or maybe AMS 1?) is based on rfactor. Thanks for the info.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'll let someone who owns a G27 chime in with real info, but that's a gear drive wheel and they are by nature notchy as compared to belt drive and direct drive

Yeah I got one as well, pretty much what it is.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Fellblade posted:

As long as they are casters with locks on you should be fine, otherwise you’ll be all over.

Budget motion rig?

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Bomb-omb Texting posted:

Heh, you weren't kidding about locking your chair to the rig. That CSL LC Break pedal is Stiff.

Now I just need to adjust my brain to figure out breaking with pressure, instead of well angle of my foot? Still missing breaking points and messing up everything, but somehow I feel that I much more in control.

I replaced my g27 pedals with the CSL LC as well a few months ago. Night and day. Super happy that I got them. Takes a while to get used to it but once it clicks it feels like magic compared to how frustrating braking used to be for me. Don't get me wrong, I am still bad. But getting the car to turn into corners etc feels so much more intuitive now.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

The 'esports sim' with a max of 12 cars on the grid lol

I am still baffled by this. Their own CTO stating that in order to have 13 cars on grid they would need some insane 50ghz CPU that doesn't exist yet. (Or something along those lines) Can't wait for multi class races with 4 cars in each class.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

They are getting that sweet Saudi money through ESL. So that is probably why. Whenever games do esports tournaments before the public can even play them it always goes south.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Wicaeed posted:

Honestly every time I remember about iRacing, and the subscription cost, AND the fact that once you're done with the Rookie/D-Tier races, you literally have to start dropping $15 per track on tracks, and $15 per car on cars, AND the fact that they rotate these races/cars to force you to have to buy new ones, my desire to play that game diminishes.

I'll never call iRacing cheap, so I can agree with you on that. But they hardly force track rotations. In every series I've been a regular of the community votes on tracks for the upcoming season. Then some community managers (aka just some guys in the community) send the schedule to iRacing and they put it in the game. With some communities employing some sort of "ban" system to ensure that the same track doesn't show up every season since they want some variation. For instance , the TCR series allows a track to show up twice in a row before it is banned for one season.
Some tracks are added in to match whatever real life series it is based off of, but beyond that there is no real forcing from iRacing. No obligation to immediately add new tracks to a season either for instance.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Vando posted:

People can go with iRacing or not, it's their choice and it has its flaws, but I find it strange that so many people who are happy to shell out for stuff like VR capable sim rigs balk at an additional ~$200 per year for what is at this point an extremely proven product.

It definitely has its flaws. But just as Meow said, I would not be into simracing if it weren't for iRacing. Whenever I try and race singleplayer or try the various online platforms for ACC I just lose interest really fast. I only upgraded my entire setup because of iRacing since it keeps me.. racing. My buddy bought a full fanatec setup and uses it like once a month when we (a group of like 7) get together and do a race in AC. Absolutely refuses to give iRacing a chance. But that is his choice. It isn't for everyone in the end.

orange juche posted:

Tire physics modelling costs money, where do you think they're supposed to get that money?

I think it is more that iRacing charges a lot more than any competitor and the core sim itself isn't necessarily a lot better. But frankly, realism is far down the list of important things for me. As long as it feels good enough I am happy, and pretty much all sims achieve that base level of realism that the average person can appreciate. What matters the most to me is the online infrastructure.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jul 10, 2023

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

For something like the g29 a basic wheelstand works great. I used a wheelstand pro for years with my g27. Now I use a NLR 2.0 stand with my CSL DD and it is fantastic for that. Zero flex or wobble and while it is on the heavier side, it is possible to fold it up if needed. So if you do end up going for something fancier and still want to fold it up, then that is the one to get I reckon. But I don't think anything more powerful than a CSL DD is really suitable with a stand.

But yeah if you have no PC plans then I don't think you can go wrong with a g29 or similar, especially if you can find one used. Load cell pedals added a LOT of fun for me but not a necessity in that sense.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

In some of the pics it's shown clamped to a desk in the manner of my wheel, but it's kinda moot anyway because I couldn't find a single site that sold it that wasn't tremendously sus. If I want a handbrake in Norway from a trusted site I basically have to go for a $300+ thrustmaster thing or something like that.

Does Fanatec not ship to Norway or something? They sell a handbrake for 130€ that seems pretty decent. I don't have one myself but after trying Dirt Rally 1 ages ago I kinda feel like I'll need one before I try any rallying again. Using a button for the handbrake really didn't do it for me.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

With import taxes the price increases considerably. Norway is not kind if you want to shop internationally.

I keep forgetting that Norway isn't in the EU. You silly oil barons.

Hej från Sverige. :v:

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

I kept hearing horror stories about Fanatec too but they have been flawless for me. I RMA'd my csl dd 8nm power supply and later on also my P1V2 wheel because the left shifter felt like poo poo. In both cases they responded and had an RMA label ready within a day or two and it took ~2 weeks for each RMA from start to finish. But I wonder if their service is poo poo outside of Europe or if people are having issues regardless?

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

I love iRacing but it definitely isn't for everyone. And I reckon with Assetto Corsa 2 coming this year (?) everyone will have a nice new and up to date modding platform for years and years to come. (They confirmed they are using their own tech again instead of Unreal) So that will be cool even if I never really got into it myself.

I am still very surprised by the fact that iRacing announced they are working on a full blown singleplayer mode with progression. I'm not sure how the hell that will work given the structure of content purchases and so on.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

KillHour posted:

Assetto Corsa

Yep. And I guess BeamNG to some extent but that isn't really focused on competitive racing despite what the community surrounding that says.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

KillHour posted:

AFAIK, KUNOS was always against modding AC and the community basically had to reverse engineer everything to make it happen.

Really? I thought it was set up for modding out of the box. At least they are building AC2 with modding in mind as far as I remember.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Vando posted:

Reminder there is a standalone iRacing thread outside of this one that (should) have more iRacing specific info/discussion. Though it seems more people (inc me) have been talking about it in this thread so welp!

iRenting shills everywhere smh.

Join us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

ANOTHER WALLET FOR THE PYRE