Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

I said come in! posted:

For Fanatec wheel bases, are there any 3rd party devices that can make them work on PlayStation 5? Any recommendations? I have CSL Elite 1.1, but it's the Xbox version.

Drivehub should do this. https://www.drivehubnow.com

Basically its a box you plug everything and a Hori wired PS controller in and it uses that controller to do the handshake with the PS. The suggestion above won't work - there's a hardware handshake involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

KillHour posted:

Does that use the controller to spoof the connection to the console? That's pretty hilarious (and awesome).

Yup that's exactly how it works - it needs a wired 3rd party controller to spoof the handshake. Literally a hack really.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Well, I got my DriveHub, but can't get the firmware update tool to detect it, and can't get my PS5 to detect my fanatec wheel (made sure its set to PC mode per the instructions). So I am off to a rough start. Does anyone have any experience with getting it to play nicely with the PS5, or troubleshooting the firmware update issues?

[edit]
I didnt do my research, this does not work with PlayStation 5. Need to find an alternative.

Do you have a 3rd party Hori or other PS5 controller also connected to the Drivehub? I don’t have one but Dave Cam uses drivehub with the PS5 and seems to have it working

https://youtu.be/BfqYUL5IxXc

E; he’s apparently using a PS4 wired Hori as well this one https://www.board-game.co.uk/produc...yBoCrZ4QAvD_BwE

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

Finally tried the copy of ACC that came in that humble bundle after spending all of my have-a-wheel-now 2023 in FM7 and (more recently) AMS2 and...yeah, now I get it. That's the one. AMS2, still very good for doing lots of different types of cars, but man does ACC click.

Yeah I just built a gaming PC – not just for racing, but I have a Logi DD Pro setup and GT7 on PS5 with PSVR2 which is awesome, but the feel of ACC even on console was so good – I decided to pull the trigger on a PC (also for other games.) The FFB and feeling of weight in ACC is so good. I'm very slow – >4 or 5 seconds on tracks in the same cars I can do it GT7, but I'm practicing to get to the point I'm confident doing LFM. It's very good. Visuals and FFB on PC are also really good.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Sep 4, 2023

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

Have you tried iracing? I have a 3 month code I could give you. It's kinda the end point of the process you're going through right now.

Not yet, but I know I will, thanks. I'm planning on getting confident in LFM and learning ACC, doing my boozy drives in GT7, and then looking to iRacing once I'm comfy with my LFM pace (I know the braking models are vastly different). Appreciate the offer, I'm mostly interested in GT3 cars anyways so for now ACC is a good fit, but I know iRacing is also on the horizon.

e; also I've kind of gotten sucked in to Touge servers in AC in JDM cars. Too many cars and tracks and games, too little time.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Sep 4, 2023

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Beve Stuscemi posted:

IRacing is the logical endpoint always. People deny it early on but they always end up there.

Probably true, like I said I expect to pick it up, but as a C/B GT7 driver who still struggles to hit the 1.27 Brands Hatch laps (x7) to get my LFM license I'm ok with waiting. I don't really want to burn a sub/promo in iRacing while I still learn the basics, I picked GT7 up in Feb. of this year after playing it a bit on PS4 last year, and GT3 is the series I'm most interested in. I'm fortunate enough to have the opportunity to set up a DD wheel and stand, but am still a beginner. Once I've got LFM licensing to the point I want and start feeling like I need more (like I have with GT7), that's when I'll look at iRacing and I don't want to take a promo I won't use properly. I will say now that Ive raced ACC a bit - the weight transfer and FFB is so good, it's really engaging. Is it as good in iRacing? I expect it is I guess. PSVR2 is still the best at just drop-in no hassle immersive driving in some ways - plug in the headset, turn on the wheel and go. It's a fun hobby. I absolutely see the lure of real car performance though, especially with the presence of pros like Redline around. Also - anyone tried Rennsport - seems esports focussed but also very good looking and I am a bit of a graphics whore.

e; LFM vs ACC

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Sep 10, 2023

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

Ordered the Truebrake mod for my Logitech. Further down the hole I go...

I did the ricmotech load cell upgrade on my G923 pedals, it was kind of worth it on it's own but like 4 months later I sold the whole set at a loss to upgrade to a DD base and hall/loadcell pedals anyways. I'm starting to see the wisdom in the 'buy once cry once' mantra in this hobby.

Also an update on my previous approach:

squirrelzipper posted:

Not yet, but I know I will, thanks. I'm planning on getting confident in LFM and learning ACC, doing my boozy drives in GT7, and then looking to iRacing once I'm comfy with my LFM pace (I know the braking models are vastly different). Appreciate the offer, I'm mostly interested in GT3 cars anyways so for now ACC is a good fit, but I know iRacing is also on the horizon.

e; also I've kind of gotten sucked in to Touge servers in AC in JDM cars. Too many cars and tracks and games, too little time.

So, this was my plan. Here's what actually happened. I am SA 75 in ACC, loving the game, doing a combo of pub lobbies and single player to learn tracks and gain SA to get my LFM license. My plan was to drive GT7 when I'm tired or have had a glass of wine (or 4) or w/e and just want to play with my toys. Except much as I love GT7 (300+ hours), the FFB and sense of weight/car behaviour isn't really that good I'm finding. Like racing my E30 M3 is so believable in AC even though the graphics are mediocre. I have PSVR2 so I still jump in GT7 for open wheel fun or just hoonigan track runs, but even when I'm tired or don't want to try hard I'm finding I want that feeling of movement that I'm realizing it kind of doesn't have. I even used some credits to get The Crew Motorfest cause I thought if I went full arcade I wouldn't mind the abstraction. Not so. So now I'm knees deep in AC and driving 1980's BMWs around Brands Hatch or w/e and man, the tactile feel of the wheel is so good. Things like feeling the compression and grip as you crest a hill and then accelerate up-hill. It exists in GT7 for sure, but it's missing details, it's much more nuanced in AC/ACC. PSVR2 helps a lot for the stereoscopic vision aspect, and I still swap to do daily races and such. Oh god, I'm going to end up in VR in iRacing aren't I? (btw, uh, anyone got one of those 3 mos. codes?)

edit; Oh and also, I notice that in AC the braking model seems more, dunno, real? Like you can't just jam 100% brake on approach even in a straight line, then trail through. You can do that in both ACC and GT7 (I assume the simulated ABS maybe) but in AC I find I have to manage brake IN and out. Is iRacing more like that? I like it.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 20, 2023

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

All good I was kind of joking cause I was offered one and turned it down. My new plan is to still get LFM licensed - I have pace on the required track now, although just barely so just need to get my SR up. And at the same time do a throw-away sub on an alt email in iRacing to test out the rookie circuits. If it does what I suspect it will then do 12 mos. buy in to get the discounts I can chase this god-drat dragon back to its cave.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

VR iracing is a transcendent experience.

You're NOT/ARE helping. I'm not sure which.

Actually follow on q cause I know I'm going to be looking at this in the next 6 months since winter is coming - my PC is a i7 13K, 12GB RTX 4070 32GB - ok for mid range PCVR? I'll look into headsets (secretly hoping the dudes doing PSVR2PC get that done) but wondering what min is?

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 20, 2023

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

Sorry what on earth is LFM licensed?

LFM (Low Fuel Motorsports) is a 3rd party platform for ACC that basically does ELO/iRating matchmaking, tracking, stewards, and sessions for ACC. https://lowfuelmotorsport.com Overcomes some of the issues with gaming the built in ACC system and provides an iRacing like progression system.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

I might also just spend the rest of my life flying around the Isle of Man in a pimped out RX-7.

e; AC has some amazing content. Just had a race with a supra on the Isle of Man that was kind of crazy. This is a fun hobby. The supra won.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 20, 2023

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

Since doing the Truebrake mod on my G920, I've been doing worlds better in ACC's campaign. That and anchoring my wheelstand to a chair with straps have massively raised my ceiling. Because this is sim racing, of course now I'm like "how else can I spend money" and I'm starting to have The Thoughts about the Cammus C5.

I did the RicmoTech LC conversion on my G923 pedals. It worked really well. So well that 3 months later I sold that bundle and got the Logi G Pro pedals and wheel set. But I'm done now. I swear. (side-eyes profile rigs to replace NLR wheel stand).

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

So I've been meandering around after looking for something a step up from GT7 - which I still play to chill - and have been racing ACC/LFM a lot which is good fun, but gets lacking in diversity which makes sense, it's awesome at GT3 and doesn't do anything else. Picked up AC and all the DLC on PC a while back but never really bothered to even check it out beyond single player and touge servers and was thinking about iRacing recently when LFM added AC as an alpha title to test. I have to say that racing MX-5s in AC on LFM is maybe the funnest thing I've done so far. Something about the AC physics and tire performance just feels right to me, (I've only ever driven kart and a couple track days IRL so Im no expert). Set-up wasn't painful but was also fiddly but once done (and I did need to spend like $7 on Pure and the latest greatest CSP) the game looks loving gorgeous, runs at 120+ fps and has some of the best FFB and feel I've experienced. I'm not sure how much this differs from iRacing but if LFM adds open-wheel and multi-class to AC I think I'll be spending a lot of time there. In the oldest sim on the market lol.

e; TLDR: AC on LFM is fun fast regular racing if you're looking for an alternative to other platforms.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Dec 14, 2023

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Treated myself to a Quest 3 for my upcoming bday - I was missing the experience Gt7 provides - and it's really good so far. Just some test laps but these lenses are really good, I had issues with PSVR2 sweet spot and the pancake lenses make a big difference. Panels aren't OLED and you notice it but then there's always trade-offs. I also heard ACC was a nightmare in VR, but following a couple guides online I have it at a pretty stable 90 fps looking really nice with the Oculus VR option in steam (i7 13k, 4070). I had no idea the ACC cockpits were as detailed as they are. Good fun. Tomorrow is AC & a couple other older space/flight games. It's not as simple as PSVR2 plug in and go but it's not as hard/complex as some folks make it out to be. Happy with it as I don't have the space for triples...

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

tater_salad posted:

Vr isn't too comfortable for longer races and isn't quite as sit down and go but it's nice to have that depth perception.

Yeah I can see that. I rarely do longer races, I'd like to get there. The depth perception is the killer thing for me, just makes such a difference, not even in my lap time just in terms of how it feels. We'll see how it goes.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Spent about 5 hours using the Quest 3 today in a bunch of titles (not just racing, flight sim too) and really enjoyed it. Set up and raced in AC, ACC, and F123. Of the 3 AC performs the best and looks great with Pure and CSP latest – MX-5 Cup around Brands Hatch at sunset is spectacular. ACC I am really impressed with though, I heard it was basically a beast to get working well, but there's a couple guides with good tips and I have it looking really decent and running at 90 fps with dips to 80ish in the rain, 24 car grid. F1 - eh, it's not really a game I'm that interested in - it was a steam gift from a kind family member - it looks great, but there's this weird I dunno - jitter? I didn't try too hard on that one tbh. ACC is my main drive mostly although I've been spending more time in AC as well. Took the day off to do this today, but if I can squeeze some time in tomorrow after work I think I'll check out Touge on AC in VR. Very happy with the outcome for those two titles. Have a 3 month code for iRacing might have to activate it and try this out there.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jan 10, 2024

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Zosologist posted:

Hello friend,
Do you have a few moments to talk about what AMS2 can bring into your life?

So I had AMS2 - and might have it again given you're not the first to say that - but for the life of me I could not get it to see my pedals so I refunded. Logitech G Pro pedals, plugged into the wheel base - it has an option for that but just didn't see them no matter what. I could plug them into the PC but my kids play GT7 on the same rig and it's currently going through a USB switch - push button for PC, push again for PS5. That might be the issue, but no other title has this problem (iRacing/AC/ACC/F1 on PC, GT7 and Dirt 2 on PS5). Frustrating but I hear so much good about it lately I might try again.

e; Actually I didn't think about the switch being an issue until I typed this out - I'm probably going to give that a shot.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jan 11, 2024

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

Before you change that stuff try plugging the usb switch into a usb 2.0 port on your PC if you're currently plugging it into a 3.0+. Don't ask why.

Downloaded the AMS2 Demo, swapped to a different port and voila everything works - ty. Downloading the full game now - it's goddamn huge.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Thanks for the AMS2 advice, got everything working and like I'd heard the VR and single player is great. Just did a 40 minute time accelerated Le Mans 24 with 12 LMDH and 19 GT3 cars in VR with variable weather. Ton of fun. Drives a bit different from other titles I've been spending time in (AC, ACC, GT7) but not so different I couldn't adjust. Visually very nice in VR, GT7 is still the prettiest girl in the room but I've been impressed with how other titles perform in VR with tweaks (Pure in AC, FOV tweaks in ACC) and AMS2 looked great. Also - can every other developer adopt the VR "look cursor" that AMS2 has? Like holy poo poo that's useful, particularly since most titles don't support VR controls and having to use a mouse with a headset on is a huge PITA. AMS2 is quirky though - in a good way, just such an odd assortment of cars. I'm not really into GT3/4 here as that's what ACC does well, and I have AC for free roam/touge, so having all these retro Formula cars and oddballs is kind of cool. And my NLR racing fixed seat for my wheel stand just shipped (ordered in early Nov.) so I am almost complete rig wise. (As soon as it arrives Logi will launch a GT wheel with 4 rotary encoders and a proper shifter for the PRO line).

e; iRacing is a bit off for me, I have a code but haven't redeemed yet since I have so much content between AC/ACC LFM and single player. I will hunt iGoons down once I get there tho. If you haven't tried it yet and you have AC the LFM races are really good and varied. Did the MX5 cup around Hockenheim tonite and it's such a fun race as is the F3 at Zandvoort. There's LMP3, VRC, Cupra TCR, and other events. It's good fun and was clean even down in the bottom split where us slow pokes are.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 13, 2024

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

We have so many TCR lovers for iracing too, gt4/lmp3 is an official race format.. we even do unaccelerated le mans!

Yeah the iRacing pricing model grates on me a bit, it's odd because after what I've spent on hardware it's not that big a deal but I feel like it nickel and dimes people and prevents exploration and experimentation. It's not a huge deal but given the AC races on LFM I'm seeing I guess I just don't see a compelling reason to go with iRacing. Plus it looks like microwaved butt comparatively imo, it's not the worst but it is kind of dated. We'll see - the fact that AC is mostly mod content and LFM is basically a free 3rd party service with no accountability also carries a lot of baggage.

e; on topic been playing AMS2 SP - it's very good in VR, the glance menu thing is awesome. Formula cars without abs are fun - it's cool to actually see the wheels lock as you slide to your death lol

njsykora posted:

Yeah if you've been driving with assists on in AC it's naturally going to feel harder in iRacing when all that stuff is stripped away.

MX-5 cup cars in AC on LFM have no assists other than what is available in the actual cars ircc. I'm not sure if the poster you're responding to was driving that tho.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 14, 2024

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

It's such a weird genre, I started with GT7 in January 2023 (played earlier GT/FM games on console, but only got a wheel and such 10 months ago or so) and now in Jan 2024 on PC I feel completely spoiled with choice - despite there being no new games. Like the 3 games I'm currently trying to get enough time for are between 5 and 11 years old. It's interesting how well some of this stuff holds up - particularly given I'm playing it all in VR, and how deep community support goes into these titles like AC/ACC. Especially since some newer releases don't - suck a dick F123, you were only $30 on sale and not even worth that.

e; spell well

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jan 15, 2024

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Gotta say AMS2 is pretty enjoyable, performs great in VR, pretty and I can do historical F1 races I've watched or even been to. Just recreated the 2006 Formula 1 Grand Prix du Canada using a couple mods and the historical track. Schumacher won. (Alonso won IRL). I placed 3rd for McLaren. Was very fun, the AI is pretty good and it's beautiful - although I set the weather up and it was June and sunny so...I still prefer ACC for GT3 and LFM for competitive stuff with AC/ACC but this scratches the single player VR race game very nicely so ty thread.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

I finally got the next level racing seat extension for my wheel stand - ordered in early Nov. just arrived (https://nextlevelracing.com/products/gt-seat-add-on/) - basically makes the wheel stand into a fixed rig, and man does that make a difference. I struggled with my brake set at 45kg with the wheel stand, now set to 70kg and feels awesome and easy to threshold or mash 100%. Add-in Zenni prescription lenses for my Quest 3 which arrived today and I'm having so much fun. Also thanks to thread for AMS2 - AC/ACC LFM has all my sweaty multi-needs sorted and AMS2 is so good in VR and solo AI racing I'm in heaven. Spoiled for choice is a nice condition to find yourself in. e; (I do have to say the omission of MX-5 cup cars for FWD Minis in AMS2 is a travesty. I need my M Cup cars in every sim plz and ty but also the mini challenge is a lot of fun).

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 27, 2024

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

AMS2 is so good in VR it's causing me issues. I can't race in ACC anymore - and I thought I had it looking awesome but it's just a jittery nasty mess compared to AMS2. But AMS2 doesn't have multiplayer. And I can't use a flat screen anymore. So I redeemed my iRacing coupon so see how it looks in VR - and it's about the same as AC - which is a compliment, looks good (not AMS2 good but) and is performant. Goddamn that's the only way to have good online VR GT3 races isn't it?

e; also rallycross in VR is dirty fun.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 31, 2024

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

What's the participation like in ACC vs iRacing?

I'm not sure probably a lot lower - but the LFM/ACC community is pretty active and the splits are pretty full, particularly since it's only one class so the base isn't split across various series. But no idea tbh - I'd guess iRacing is much larger. Looking at SteamDB the peak in the last 24 hours was 6,154 players and not all of them would be on LFM obviously. LFM reports 140k users, 160 racing right now (10:30 PM PST).

e; which does highlight another issue, ACC is very popular in EU, less so in the Americas so being in PST is sometimes a bit quiet.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jan 31, 2024

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Vando posted:

Don't think they were counting the iRacing numbers from Steam, just the ACC ones. But for comparison right now in just past Euro prime time there are 11k online (also you don't need the client installed to check that anymore, if you have an active sub it's all been ported to browser: https://members-ng.iracing.com/home/dashboard)

Yeah that was just ACC from SteamDB.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

tater_salad posted:

Yeah am aware how fun racing against ppl is but I have limited timeframe sometimes at 7:35 I get the urge to plop down and race for a little bit. Kids and wife and life kinda make my schedule sporadic.

Same, sometimes I just want to drop in for a quick race knowing I might have to quit before it ends because my kid fed the dog a Twix bar or something. I'm finding AMS2's AI quite good for single player and the amount of content and visuals are excellent.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

necrotic posted:

I found your mistake and it’s either having a kid or a dog not sure which yet. Maybe both.

2 of each. Done hosed it up.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Goddam it. All roads really do lead to iRacing. Since I switched pretty exclusively to VR, ACC has been a bit of a hassle, so I've been doing my online racing in AC/LFM and AI racing in AMS2 (shout-out to thread recommendation).

Went to look for an online race tonight. Number of people racing in LFM at 6 PM PST (ACC & AC): 119. Number of people racing in iRacing (all series): 17,347. LFM really is only popular in EMEA these days it seems.

Yes, there's a difference, as that's all seasons, but I wanted to do either a GT or MX cup race. Fine. gently caress you. I'll try iRacing, lol. I'm gonna blame all of you if I spend my mortgage on pretend race cars and tracks.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

Did you get this number from Steam? I would say a huge minority of iracing people use steam - you can't take advantage of their black friday subscription discounts if you buy through steam.

Nope that's from the iRacing UI client. e; as of now 8:22 PM PST it's 8810. 68 for LFM. Online sim racing is super niche. I bet GT 7 has more than both combined including SP ofc. ACC has 1,181 in game on steamdb right now. Now there's leagues and such of course.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 19, 2024

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

Never heard anyone say a negative thing about simagic other than "yeah it's expensive."

Yeah that's all I've ever heard - "I love it wish it didn't cost so much"

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Finally got into the Rennsport beta test.

They must have done a wave of invites cause I got in too. Haven't had a chance to play around with it yet, but will post thoughts once I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Sounds like Corsair has signed a letter of intent and is doing due diligence. Also sounds like they might get Fanatec for just the cost of its outstanding debt – $70 million or so? Apparently deal is expected to close in May – existing shareholders take either a major haircut or get wiped out. News are light on details

https://www.techpowerup.com/322265/corsair-pursuing-an-acquisition-of-fanatec-the-leading-brand-for-sim-racing-hardware

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/cors...Qb8WvcH-hF4vms-