Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Modding The Hell Out Of Nascar Racing 2003

First, read this page and bookmark that site. It's a really good resource for finding mods and links to creator pages for downloads so its all legit. A few things to note though.

- The graphics jump from the graphics setup isn't as huge as they make it out to be. It's an improvement, but you're never going to make this 13 year old game look like present day iRacing.
- Having a separate install for every mod is pretty much overkill, the main reason for separate installs is NR2k3's track limit and lack of organisation. I have 3 installs for speedway, short track and dirt oval racing.
- DOWNLOAD A SKINPACK or you won't have any AI cars to race against. Most mods come with a skinpack for the relevant season, but always check before loading up the game and finding an empty grid.

I recommend downloading updated versions of the built in tracks then deleting the old versions to keep everything tidy. The vast majority of tracks are pretty good quality, but in particular look for Freddy and Sean (FSE), Smiffsden (SDT) and Project Short Tracks (PST) stuff where you can.

Recommended Mods
Bullring Sprint Cup 2015
Xfinity 2015
Camping World Truck 2015 and the 2015 skinpack which isn't included.
Dirt Modifieds and Dirt Late Models both on this page, there's a group of dirt tracks there too.
Late Model v2 (direct link) and the 2015 skinpack. This is 90% of my NR2k3 playtime.
SK Modifieds

Finally, get the incredible UIE 2013 pack, which transforms the game's UI to look more modern and also be way more customisable. As a comparison this is the default UI.

And this is the UI I currently use. Gets everything up to the top for easier at-a-glance info, and also makes it easier to just turn everything off if you want.

Also go through this page and grab whatever looks cool. I use the modern Sierra logo, 2015 splash screen and some of the audio replacements as well.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

GhostDog posted:

I can either link your post if you want to update without me as a middleman, or I can copy it to the OP.

Link it in the NR2k3 bit as it's going to be a bit of an effort post, since tater's post in the last thread is gonna fall into the archives we should have something linkable in this thread.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Goetta posted:

I don't think the Nissan was clearly superior, just probably a bit easier to brake and turn with.

I need to remember to practice on race tires at some point during the week. I ran nothing but softs and SS before hand and forgot to change my pressure for mediums so they were really under temperature the entire actual race.

90% of my time exiting corners was spent trying to stop it drifting so it certainly wasn't easier to corner, the McLaren is infinitely easier to drive than the Nissan.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

So this is a curious story that popped up today, a former SimBin guy has apparently got some kind of rights regarding GT Legends and is working on a new game in the series. There's not really anything substantial there other than that but I'm curious as to how that works now. It's not like historic cars are rare in current games and history has shown sim racing fans have very little patience for unlocking stuff. Something to maybe keep an eye on though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Does a new GT Legends even work now though? Historic cars aren't a rarity in sim racing now and the FIA historic touring car and GT championships don't exist any more so what can it offer beyond just being GT Legends HD?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Not gonna lie, so would I.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I think you're expecting way too much from this project. I don't expect classic track layouts since GTL originally was current tracks in their current layouts because that's what the FIA Historic championships ran. Also there wont be any F1 in it likely because of the GT part, though Lotus does licence their classic garage to just about everyone.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Tony Montana posted:

Oh I don't know anything about the project. Just saying I would like a game like that.

Absolutely, but at that point you're more or less asking for Grand Prix Legends 2. Though with the amount of historic open wheelers in rFactor 2 you could have gotten pretty close there if an actual mod community had gotten into that.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The tire model thing is also massively overstated. iRacing releases a new tire model fairly rarely, AC's a constant work in progress anyway (most people seem happy with the v6 though) and rF2 hasn't updated the contact patch model in a while.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

GhostDog posted:

SCE actually has the most track mods that reach the quality of the official content.

Yeah, Patrick gets a lot of help from Reiza people for his conversions too so most if not all of them are top quality. I'd assume he's getting advice from them for AMS conversions as well even though Reiza have said its not a game designed for modding.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Goetta posted:

Are we still doing the AC race on Sunday? How many laps?

I would assume 3 given the 504 probably cant do sub-9 around there.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Fans of loud noises might enjoy this video of the Formula V10 in Automobilista. It went up in the dev forum a while ago but has only just been publicly released, sounds like they're just starting to finish up things for the beta so hopefully those of us with that will be driving that this week. There's also a video of the Lancer Rallycross.

Jehde posted:

I remember Lake Louise being fun.

Has he actually put collision detection on it yet? All I remember of the old track was constantly clipping through barriers and falling through the world.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 17, 2016

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The first racing game I played that at least pretended to be serious was Total Drivin', a game marketed on how it had the roundest wheels on the Playstation. Then I got super into Gran Turismo 2 and just stuck with that series in between Mario Kart sessions. Outrun 2 is still the best racing game though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Norns posted:

WHAT THE gently caress IS HAPPENING TO ME?! A couple years ago I gave zero shits about cars, now I have canvas prints of Monaco and the Nurburgring in my office, and this massive pile of sim gear...

I can empathise with this, a year ago I gave no shits about racing and now I'm following F1 test results and seeing whether going to see Euro NASCAR at Brands Hatch is feasible.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Some things got released. There's a new version of the BTCC 1999 Nissan Primera out and it actually has sound now.It also looks a hell of a lot better and is very fun and very sideways around Brands Hatch. RaceRoom also released an old, slow 60s car I've not heard of called the NSU Prinz TTS, I gave it a test drive and found it perfectly acceptable but nothing I'd spend money on when I can race far more interesting old cars either with the 1992 DTM cars or GT Legends.

Also still no Automobilista beta and I'm wondering when people start to run out of patience given the beta was supposed to hit last month and has been coming 'very soon' for about 3 weeks now.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Use a car where you know roughly the braking distances and cornering ability of, then learning a track just comes down to fine tuning your turn-in points if the game you're learning the track in has a map. Or wish that every sim racing person loved GTR2's track guide challenges like they loved its pit stops, I used that to learn Magny-Cours and Zolder last weekend. Using a car you know though makes learning tracks a lot easier though since most cars will have fairly similar braking points.

Also after a brief shitstorm over a couple of Youtube people jumping the gun and mentioning they had the Automobilista beta while the actual crowdfunding backers who paid money for it still don't, that is supposed to be arriving at some point today. In the meantime, here is one said Youtube person showing off the Lancer rallycross and Formula V10 at the updated Interlagos. Still no solid word on what exactly is in the beta of the new stuff, though from what's been mentioned it's safe to assume the rallycross stuff, Formula V10, 2015 Stock Car V8s, the Renault Fluence touring car but not the Honda Civic yet and the god drat Supertrucks as well as most of the track updates, new HUD and menus.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Automobilista beta is out, so here's me vomiting up a wonderful post full of the improvements to SCE's god awful menus.

The main menu, now you can just pick a series. Though it's clearly still just loading the set when you pick one, so all cars all tracks still makes the game hang for a while. Worth it though now we can run Supertrucks on the kart tracks. I am wondering though where they put the Copa Montana and totally-not-Porsche 911 when they come out.

Stats! Woohoo!

Options! Nothing too different here though does make me think of GTR2.

Car/track selection, very busy but also very nicely set out with the 4 columns in my opinion.

Loading! Very similar to the Copa Petrobras de Marcas loading screen if anyone here played that. I like them.

The new monitor, all the replay controls are now there so you don't have to keep the shortcuts memorised any more. Also the 2 setup sections are up top as separate buttons now. Said setup pages are a) not really changed and b) not really working because beta.

The Almighty Pitboard has been replaced by this giant orange arrow.

The new HUD in its extremely busy glory. This seems to be an all or nothing affair for the time being. Inputs, gears, speed, tires, engine condition, transmission type, brakes and fuel are all in that info panel bottom right. I'm hoping it gets moved further into the corner or we're given the ability to move it ourselves because it looks quite weird there. Lap and position counters top left, lap times top right which go red, green or purple depending on the lap which I like. There's also now a delta bar which I really like. Changing HUD mid session does kind of break this one though, as it won't display any info if you change off it mid-session.

And the updated 'old' HUD. Apparently a work in progress but I'd be fairly happy if they cleaned this up a bit and kept it like this.

New layouts were promised and while I think 6 tracks have been modified for Supertrucks (they know what people want) there's a nasty looking new chicane at Taruma as well. Also a Renault Fluence.

Graphically things are noticeably different. The saturation has been turned down slightly, a lot of stuff has been sharpened up (the Stock Car V8's cockpit is especially noticable) but the game doesn't handle anti-aliasing itself so you'll have to set that manually from your graphics card control panel. This though does seem to have made everything run a lot smoother, no doubt the ability to set a FPS limit helps with that as well.

Supertrucks are hard.

There's been a lot of physics tweaking too, the Stock Cars are a major handful at low speed and dirt pickup is a very real thing. In running around I've spun off quite a few times because I picked up a load of grass running off track and lost most of my rear grip. There's quite a lot of FFB issues arising because of those tweaks, people are reporting pretty heavy FFB spikes with most cars, though I haven't had any issues myself. So yeah, it's beta as hell, a lot of stuff doesn't work, but this is a huge leap forward from Stock Car Extreme even with that in mind.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 22, 2016

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Further things + more pictures.

The AI has been massively tightened. I used to be able to ruin the AI in the Marcas cars at Taruma but now I get left in the dust. Gonna have to put more time in to get a handle on the dynamic track, new tire model and small track adjustments. The new Taruma chicane means I can't hug the inside of that sweeper as close any more, and the kerbs on some corners have gotten a lot wider so they can be taken faster now. Though I know I can do the laps they're doing, just a little out of FWD practice.

More HUD, dear god the amount of HUD in this HUD is insane. Though I do appreciate having start lights as a HUD element now. There's a relative timer and also a fastest lap notification in races as well.

Skinnable pit garages! Now in series that support it (Stock Car, Marcas, Super V8, probably most of the F1 and F3 as well) your garage will have your car skin on as well.

Fun with tires, also the Formula Vee is way easier to drive with this tire model. It's not the utter death trap it has been in the past, though flatspots are not to be hosed with.

And finally, obligatory "haha I'm driving this and you're not" stuff. The Formula V10 is incredible.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Norns posted:

God I need that F1 V10

It has so much grip, stops on a dime and dear god can it make a noise.

E: Been running more today and looking through stuff with the new F301 Formula 3 car, it feels a lot more stable than the F309 though how much of that is the car and how much is the new tires I don't yet know. Also being an older car it doesn't have a pit limiter which is weird. It is really noticable the changing track grip as a session goes on, I did about 20 laps in this test session starting on the light preset and by the end I felt like I could take certain corners far faster than I could before. It's gonna be really interesting to see how the dynamic track handles long endurance races when people start running those. Another thing that's really noticeable with the open wheel downforce cars is the way they've improved the airflow modelling, aero push when following a car close through a corner is a big concern, and being on the wrong side you can feel the car want to push out from the corner and become slightly unstable. This is gonna make racing the open wheelers much better I think, as here I was running on this guy's gearbox for a few laps but wasn't able to get past until he dived into the pits. That's a feeling I never got in SCE when racing the open wheelers because I'd just roll around the outside of AI in corners without many issues.

E2: Yes I'm posting a lot about this but my opinion has gone from "this is a small but noticable improvement" to "this is a giant loving leap forward" regarding improvements over SCE. I went back to SCE to get some screenshots for comparison. Here's the F309 Formula 3 car at Goiania in both games, graphical settings on high in both, time of day 1pm in both. The texture improvements, lighting and reflections make a giant difference when you look at them side by side. Also of note is that yellow section of pit wall, it's solid yellow in SCE but scuffed and dirty in Automobilista.

Biggest improvement of all that I've found though, the kerb of death at the top of the hill on Spielberg has been levelled out slightly. So the punishment for slightly overcooking that hairpin is no longer certain death.

E3: Actually did a race at last. AI are still AI with turn 1 shenanigans, but they are so much harder to pass now especially in the open wheelers. I did a F3 race because I really freaking like the F3's now and managed to run 2 wide through almost half a lap of Goiania before the AI got the run through the chicane and got away. There's a much greater feeling of battling and working to complete an overtake that I never got from SCE. Also with the work they did on dust clouds it is god drat terrifying to run through a flat out corner where every car clips the dust slightly and you're blinded by the subsequent cloud.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 22, 2016

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Formula Vee is seriously really good. I've spent 95% of my Automobilista time with the open wheel cars, which is way more time than I ever spent with them in SCE. The Vees especially massively emphasise the improvements, they look so much better than they did in SCE, the AI is prone to making mistakes at the back of the field but more consistent at the front, they weave around to defend and break the draft on straights and the low general grip level means you notice dirty tires and being off the racing line way more as you just end up pushing wide.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

GhostDog posted:

Thanks Goetta for keeping the AC train running.

Also, the Automobilista impressions sound good so far. How long's the Beta supposed to be?

They haven't said other than they want it released as soon as they feel they have all the bugs sorted. Which given how many bugs there are is probably gonna take a while. There are nightly builds being released though with fixes. So far the biggest issues are menu related stuff (some arrows don't work, sliders are a little finicky, a lot of misalignment), FFB (extremely notchy and rattly due to the increased physics tick rate but slowly improving as Niels tinkers) and AI. Though there are a few bits that were clearly copied wholesale from SCE and haven't been updated yet, like the championship settings where certain tracks and cars have been renamed so the championship settings can't find them. Hopefully that gets fixed before release, since it's just editing a text file I can't see why it wouldn't be. Though they did mention there's a HUD editor so my issue with the HUD being overly busy has now been largely dealt with, even if I had to do it myself.

The message center was another iffy point that was fixed quickly, compare the text in this shot to the second and it's way more readable.

Also, the modders are already on the case regarding extra tracks. Patrick says he's close to having the Nurburgring GP finished with the normal and sprint layouts as well as Eastern Creek. He's also said he's doing Monza, Spa, Hockenheim and Silverstone done as well.

One thing that is noticable is that the Bologna Historic track has disappeared from the game, given they said they were trying to get official licences for certain tracks I'm curious if that means it'll actually be named Imola when it returns. They're also clearly taking the suggestions in the dev forum seriously, I requested more layouts on the tracks where they were already modelled (the short version of Goiania, the second chicane at Taruma etc) and last night's build added Goiania Short albeit in a very clearly unfinished state.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Feb 24, 2016

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah, it was I think 60hz in SCE but is now 720hz. Though like I said Niels is tinkering with the default values to get it properly dialled in. The current build increased the smoothing on the most violent cars and it feels pretty good. There are still some low speed issues but those only really manifest when pulling out of the pits. Overall the FFB feels largely the same as SCE, though with a few more noticable effects when running over kerbs or grass.

E: Got off my phone and looked it up, it was 90hz in GSC and now a possible 720hz in AMS. Though Niels has the default currently set limited to 360hz.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Feb 24, 2016

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The oval ruleset is in the game, so its possible. A couple of the tracks also have oval layouts so I've experimented with a few and it works alright. If CART Extreme becomes CARTilista and the Legends mod gets updated I can see it becoming a thing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I can formally stop banging on about Auto Modellista this weekend, as it'll be released in Early Access form for everyone then so they can get a wider user base for the online matchmaking and time trial leaderboards.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

KartKraft is in that bucket of games I really want to be good just for the sake of having a game where karting isn't treated like a diversion. Like yeah rFactor 2 and SCE and PCars all have good karts but only a handful of tracks to race them on. if this game has a sizable tracklist I'll be very happy if the driving is good.

Also apparently a free to play version of Forza 6 is coming to PC, so that rumour can finally be put to rest.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Norns posted:

Uhh why does the V10 F1 car auto upshift for me? Nothing else does, and it still wants me to downshift.

It's apparently the assists the actual car had, though I have a hard time believing an F1 car had an automatic transmission. You can turn it off in the setup menu.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'll at least download it and try it out, though I have a feeling it isn't going to have support for all the PC wheels that are around.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Eyud posted:

What I read said a third of the cars are unlocked from the start and the rest have to be unlocked either with in-game currency or real money. I think FM6 uses the same or a similar model.

Yeah, but FM6 had an option to hide the real money option completely which I appreciated.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

OhsH posted:

HEY! any idea on what i need to do to be able to host automobilista? i tried forwarding the old ports from sce but i couldn't see the server on the steam list so i am kind of at a loss since there doesn't seem to be all that much coming up with google.

I don't think the in-game multiplayer stuff is working yet, everything I've seen says you have to use the Steam server browser from outside the game. I don't even know if you can host a normal game from that.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I think Thrustmaster do a package deal where you can get the T300 or TX with the T3PA pedals for $450-470. A quick Amazon search says it's fairly simple to get both those separately for under $400 though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

tater_salad posted:

T300 or TX ferrari 458 edition?
Both are the same price and look similar
No clue how I'd mount either on my big boy wheel stand so now I'd need to grab one of those too.. budgets are for jerks.

I think they're both the same wheel just one's for PS4 and ones for Xbox.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah I'm pretty sure the T500 comes with the T3PA-Pro pedals, not the 2-pedal set the T150, T300 and TX come with.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I really like the Grid games for that, played the hell out of Grid 1. They're on sale on Steam right now as well if you have a Steam Link.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I've yet to see a super truck race where someone didn't spin, roll or both so I'd say they're exactly that tough to drive on tarmac.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

jonathan posted:

What techniques are you all using to keep that rear end end behind you ?

Super careful on throttle. That's the really hard part. I usually don't get to full throttle until I'm on the finish straight.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

F1 2014 is the one people broke open to mod, so that's worth a look as well.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I might pick up 2011 because that's the year of Codemasters' time with the F1 series where the schedule had the most stuff not raced today.

In other news, there's officially going to be enough DLC for Automobilista to justify them putting out a season pass.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If you're not uploading race highlights/shenanigans/fuckups then you're racing wrong.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Wonder if they did the same group licencing deal Slightly Mad did for the MSV tracks, and if so where the gently caress is Snetterton?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Reviews are saying the new Trackmania is a lazy console port. There's no dedicated servers and no customization. Who knows if we'll ever see servers of cool things nerds put together. I forget the name, but there was one guy who made amazing indoor maps.

A console Trackmania is basically what Turbo was designed to be though. I think it's still good in the same way TM always is but if you're on PC you might as well wait for the actual TM3 they've said they're working on.