Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I jumped on that DD2 base deal. The CSL DD is alright and all but 8nm feels a bit anaemic, somewhere around 12-15nm would be better and given how utterly dogshit Fanatec's logistics are for outside EU customers I reckon I can flog it on eBay lickety split.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Apparently I ordered an Omega GT 8020 sim rig last night. Thanks, cheap vodka.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Homeless Friend posted:

Going to strategically pm you a link to $4000 actuators next friday night

pls no

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Kvlt! posted:

im trying to figure out if im having a skill issue or a FFB issue.

In iRacing on tracks like Pocono on the straights I feel the road so much it is incredibly difficult to hold my wheel still: its constantly shaking (not in a broken way, just in a "this road is bumpy way"

are my ffb settings too high, or is this just how certain tracks are? The ffb feels great on most tracks and in road races, but it'll always shake on places like Pocono no matter how hard I try to keep it still.

Turn down my ffb or is that just how Arca at Pocono is and everybodies wheel is shaking?

Nah, Pocono is like driving the surface of the moon for me too. Got a nasty shock when my DD2 tried to break my wrists.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Octopus Magic posted:

I see people with hours and hours and hours in BeamNG on steam, but I don't get it. It's fun to crash your car or whatever for a few hours to dick around with and see the softbody physics or whatever, but the vast majority of the mod cars are just jamming in a mesh from some other game, the "gameplay" consists of half-assed challenges and it's been in development for over 10 years, I just... don't get it. It's been 10 years and the racing still sucks, and the environments are a handful of "open world" things.

It's the racing enthusiast's version of Garry's Mod. Which I also didn't get when I was heavily into FPS games, but that makes me the odd one out on both counts I guess.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
VR headsets seem pretty cool and I have drunk searched Valve Index and Rift S on eBay a number of times but based on the fact that I can't be bothered to wear headphones when I race most of the time because they make my head too warm, there is zero chance I'm dumping my triples for a VR headset.

Also the extremely non-zero chance that a second hand VR headset is being sold by some degenerate who has jerked off in it a lot.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Kvlt! posted:

Messing around with old F1 cars in AC and realized Id never tried to race with an H pattern transmission, so I gave it a shot and have a question:

Say im in 4th gear entering the breaking zone, and want to exit in 2nd gear, should I brake, go to 3, then go to 2? Or just go straight to 2 after braking?

I'd personally just go straight to second in that scenario. If it's a big braking event, like Monza chicanes I'd probably go through the gears to maximise engine braking.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

KillHour posted:

My friend has gone insane going down the rabbit hole of ridiculous motion platforms to try to create "the most realistic experience possible." I told him that if he wants realism to forget the motion platform - the most important piece of equipment is a space heater directly under the seat.

At that kind of spend surely "the most realistic experience possible" is to buy a knackered miata and hit the track?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

VelociBacon posted:

Better to have tried and failed than to have never really raced at all though? After iRacing I can't shake the feeling that if I'm doing vsAI racing thing it's all a bit meaningless. Haven't beaten anyone, haven't been beaten, etc.

That and AI doesn't poo poo talk you over voice chat, which will never not be funny.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Back on the iracing AI topic, I ran some AI sessions for traffic practice for a league race and was really impressed with how they did, worked great for multiclass practice and was a good mix of predictable and polite with random sends and mistakes. I never think 'oh I should do an AI race' but it was pretty fun and might be something I do on occasion when I can't make the next slot of a series I want to run or something.

You can also customise the AI fields for your races, which is actually very cool. Say you want 10 aliens and 10 drivers with a guide dog in the passenger seat? You can do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Homeless Friend posted:

lmfao. black friday killed the company

P sure endor hasn't been blown up by the second death star