Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You could at least state which games have good VR support. Pretty much just iRacing, Project Cars, Dirt Rally and Live For Speed have the most up to date support.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't know remember what I wrote. I'll just write something new today.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Here's what I came up with for VR. If it's too wordy let me know:

Project Cars
Project cars has the most complete VR support. In that you can start the game, put on your HMD and access everything in the game. The menus are presented as a big static screen and you can move your head around to look the different options. Project Cars has come a long way in its implementation. They actually put the effort in to create very good VR menus. The only thing currently misisng is there is no visible mouse in the menus. Your mouse cursor is still there, you just can't see it in the headset. You can still use the mouse to click things, you just don't know where it is until an option is highlighted. The menus can still be navigated via a D-Pad or arrow keys. This isn't that big of a deal though. The only issue is in some menus, you have to access some things either by mouse or by pressing a controller button. If you haven't memorized the number of every button on your wheel, it takes some guess work to get into the calibration screens. Once you actually start driving, it's very smooth. There is a readable HUD in 3D space so you can drive it just like on a monitor. No more asking people what lap you're on. It's also enjoyable to just park the car and look around the cockpit as the visuals in this game are amazing, especially in VR. Don't look around too much as the back of the car is not fully rendered since it's not usally possible to see without VR.

Oculus Runtime: .8 and works in Windows 10.
Reset VR: Mappable in options

Dirt Rally
Dirt Rally is almost as complete as Project Cars. The only thing missing is that you can not use the main menu with your HMD. You can't easily go from career mode to a free race without removing the HMD and moving around the menu on your monitor. Once you're in game, it's almost as good as Project Cars. You can easily go through an entire set of career mode races without having to remove the HMD. There are still issues with readability of text. Instead of the "menu in 3D space that you can look around" of Project Cars, Dirt Rally has a static menu mounted to your face. So while you can access the pause menu and set all your controls from within VR and change some game play options, you can't always read what they are and you sometimes can't even see what you're changing as the menu goes out of your field of view. Once you're actually driving, everything is great. The HUD isn't as good as Project Cars but it is usable. The symbols from the pace notes will pop up at the top of your view but they are also mounted to your face like the menus.

Oculus Runtime: .8 and works in Windows 10.
Reset VR: F11

iRacing
iRacing was one of the first sims to support VR and the support is very good. It's not as complete as Project Cars but still decent. Due to how iRacing works, There will probably never be complete VR support. You have to choose your series and start the game from the website. Unless iRacing goes to an actual full application, this isn't going to change. Once you're actually in the sim, you're fully autonomous in VR. All of the menus float out in 3D space and you can move your head around to look at them. Readability is somehwat of an issue. All of the important things are big enough to read. Other things like the tooltips and the spectator info menus are hard to read. There are some limitations though. While most games don't limit where you can be, iRacing puts your head inside a box that surrounds the cockpit. This means that if you try to move outside this box, your head stops moving. Moving your head with nothing moving on the screen causes some people to get sick. This normally wouldn't be a big deal since you are driving a car, not walking around the room. The problem is that some cars have weirdly sized boxes. Using the camera tool, you can place your head where you want to place it. The box does not follow the camera though. So if you raise your camera up a bit, now you can't raise your head anymore than it already is. The box also stops a bit short of the steering wheel. So if you are trying to lean forward to read a gauge better, your head stops. This also prevents you from leaning in closer to the info menus while spectating. Another issue (somewhat) is the HUD. The HUD itself floats out in 3D space. You can look around and it stays in place where you put it. The problem is the HUD is contained within an invisible window. The window goes up pretty high but the bottom ends right about at the bottom of the steering wheel. This means you can't place your black boxes very low. It's a minor niggle I suppose, but it's a bit annoying.

Aside from that, the implementation of VR in iRacing is one of the best. iRacing features actual 3D mirrors. This blew my mind when I first noticed it. While Project cars mirrors are just screens from one perspective, you can move your head around in iRacing and the view in the mirror changes too. There is one last issue with iracing which doesn't really have to do with VR. The development of iRacing is very slow. Sometimes there are hotfix patches here and there, but actual content only comes out once every three months. All the other games had the luxury of being early access so they could easily throw a quick patch out when something needed to be fixed. iRacing is a finished and released product so they have to be a lot more careful with their patches. This means it's still on an old runtime that doesn't work with Windows 10 without some hacky workarounds. This also means that when the consumer Rift (and especially the Vive) comes out, there most likely won't be any support for iRacing. Two things need to happen. Direct X 11 support needs to be finished. The rift no longer supports DX9. Direct X 11 support is *maybe* in the March build, probably later. Once Direct X 11 is in, they need to get a consumer rift, get the 1.0 runtime, implement it, and test it. Then once that's done, they have to wait until the season is over so they can release a patch. Ditto for the Vive. iRacing might not support anything but the Rift DK2 until the second half of the year at the earliest. They could possibly release a VR patch partway through a season, but not likely. It's technically the same for all the other sims, but their support should come a lot faster as they can just throw a patch up on steam and move on.

Oculus Runtime: .5 or .6 and does not natively work in Windows 10. There are apparently batch files that messes with your installed runtime version to get it to work.
Reset VR: Mappable in options

Assetto Corsa
Assetto Corsa got VR support pretty early but it was never very good as they somehow implement the SDK entirely wrong. The initial implementation wasn't even 3D. They somehow just displayed one view on both eyes. That was fixed after a couple days. Since then, it hasn't gotten much better. The game only supports extended mode. Extended mode means the rift acts as an extra monitor for your computer. This was only added to allow developers to get their games working while direct mode was being improved. Early development of games usually meant getting extended mode working and then a couple months later having direct mode working as well. Assetto Corsa never got past that first part. This means you have to start up the game and then drag it over to the rift screen. Assetto corsa also screws up more of the SDK implementation. In most games, it doesn't matter where the camera is. You place the camera anywhere, load up the demo app and center your rift. Many games understand this and will load you into the game exactly where you need to be, if not you can always recenter. With Assetto Corsa, it will use this for position but for some reason assumes the camera always needs to be directly in front of you. If your camera is off even by a bit, you'll be looking off to the side of your cockpit. Even if you get that sorted, there is no HUD. The actual driving is pretty decent but not really worth it after all the bumps in the road to get there. The creator of Assetto Corsa has apparently decided he doesn't like VR. No word on if VR in AC will ever get better.

Oculus Runtime: .6 and even then only in extended mode. It does not natively work with Windows 10.
Reset VR: ctrl + space but the camera needs to be directly in front of you.

I do not own Live for Speed or Richard Burns rally. I do not know what SDK version they support. Last I heard, they both had pretty decent support. The guy who makes Live For Speed seems to always update it so I could only assume he's keeping the VR part up to date as well.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I figured it would be. Later in the year when vr is actually out, hopefully it can all be shortened to "it works" I'll see if I can cut them down. I was tired when I wrote it and rambled.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It wasn't my first racing game but I played the poo poo out of it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Looks like Atomo Ballista is shaping up pretty well.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie56EKiA4jU

Apparently if this does well, they will release Forza 7 on PC. While this seems cool, I don't know if I'd care enough to play a gimped version of Forza enough to convince them to release a full game.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Microsoft is pretty dumb. Finally bring a Forza to PC which is what people have been clamoring for for years. Except it's only a few cars and a few tracks. It's only on the windows store, only works on Windows 10, and has some forced graphics settings. It also doesn't have wheel support and there's no multiplayer. It hasn't even come out and it already looks like it's dead in the water.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
G2X is gear driven. Despite whatever price they charge, it's bottom end. CSR elite or CSW v1 is a no go. if anything goes wrong, they don't make parts anymore.. On these two the code wheel is the big problem. It's a plastic wheel with black lines on it. If you have to open the wheel up and any of the code marks get scraped off, you're done because that part isn't made anymore. If you want midrange you'll want a thrustmaster or wait for fanatec to release whatever midrange wheel they plan to make.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Does it work with the steam controller without steam link?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Reviews are saying the new Trackmania is a lazy console port. There's no dedicated servers and no customization. Who knows if we'll ever see servers of cool things nerds put together. I forget the name, but there was one guy who made amazing indoor maps.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You had to find the right dedicated servers but there were some really good ones out there. How do you share custom tracks now?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The Assetto Corsa guy is really upset that people would want VR in their racing simulation. He can't seem to understand that people who like realistic simulators might want VR.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
By "SDK has changed" I think he means they only implemented extended mode which was always advertised as a workaround and would be going away in a future runtime. So I guess they would have to entirely rewrite the entire thing to support direct mode.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The radical change for the Oculus SDK they keep talking about was dropping extended support. I'm not privy to the exact details but a lot of developers quickly hacked in extended support for whatever game they were making. Extended was only ever meant to be a quick workaround while direct mode was being worked on. I don't know if the AC devs realized this or not.

Edit: I always meant to redo my VR thing. Now that VR is actually released might be a good time but probably not. The only thing updated to consumer VR is Project Cars and as of right now, only on the Oculus store. Steam version is supposed to be updated whenever they get the chance. I'll have to see how things work out over the next few weeks. I doubt Vive support is going to happen for sims for quite a while.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 30, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's an hour and 20 minutes before gooncar I think.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

njsykora posted:

There's a lot of stuff in AC in general that feels like it was thrown in without much thought given to how people interact with it. Like there's nothing that I could find in the game to tell me how to adjust the turbo on the Lotus 98T when I was driving it for the first time earlier. That thing by the way is a hell of a lot of fun around Riverside.

I'm pretty sure you can do custom seasons through the career mode. I've downloaded a few custom careers that were just Blancpain or ADAC seasons.

Jeez dude, just use the undocumented keyboard button. It's so simple.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I've been messing with project cars since it's the only sim that supports the CV1 that I own. Driving the lotus 25 makes me wish there was a new grand prix legends. I just want to mess around with AI in really old F1 cars on all the historic tracks.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah, that's outdated. Here's some new info to replace that:

Project Cars: Fully supports Oculus Rift and HTC Vive

Live For Speed: Fully supports Oculus Rift and HTC Vive

iRacing: Currently supports Oculus Rift DK2. Work is being done to support Rift CV1, no info yet on HTC Vive

Assetto Corsa: After much childish behavior from both consumers and the developer, Rift CV1 is being worked on. HTC Vive will be considered when he receives it.

Dirt Rally: Recently messed up their update and there is no VR support at all anymore. It's being worked on and maybe Rift CV1 soon.

For now, Rift CV1 support = Rift DK2 support. DK2 is not officially supported by Oculus anymore but it still works for the time being. It is not guaranteed to work forever.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's to simulator the pace car, because you know, you ride inside the pace car and the pace car is covered in flashing lights.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Well he's A class on ovals and has over 3k irating so he must be doing something right.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Holy poo poo, I'm watching the rest of the video. There's at the very least 10-15k in that rig.

He has a dedicated stereo unit for iracing voice chat, the spotter, the beeps for shifting, ventrilo, teamspeak, and ianalyze. Not one unit for all of those things together, a separate one for each of those things. This guy is more money than sense personified.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 23, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
So apparently Project cars does not support the Vive. I thought it did but apparently it doesn't as it only lets me play in theater mode. Live For Speed is the only current racing sim that works with the Vive.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is it free? Who pays for the servers?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They are going to have to scrap this whole consolized intro if they ever want to compete in the PC market. It works on xbox because it might be someone's first racing game, but someone on PC probably knows how to control a race car and isn't interested in being forced to drive in baby mode for the first race. It takes about 15 minutes before you're even able to change a setting. Once you're in the game though, it's forza but on PC. if they can build this up to the amount of content Forza 5 has (maybe even cross play?) it should be pretty good and competitive. But first fix the intro.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you have an extra hard drive and know how to ghost or use DD, you can just copy your current install to that, do the windows 10 upgrade, then fresh install 10.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Keep in mind it's still beta, it's not a final product.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You can't use your 7 or 8 keys because they are 7 or 8 keys. Windows 10 checks your previous key license and then adds your hardware fingerprint to Microsoft's list of licenses.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You want to keep the tires rotating. If they lock up, you're losing grip and not stopping as quickly as you could be.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Norns posted:

Brakes are for balance, not stopping. That was the single hardest thing for me to learn in sim racing.

The hardest thing to learn in sim racing (or any kind of car racing I guess) is how every control input affects steering. The steering wheel is just for putting the car on the right path. You turn into the corner, set your steering lock and leave the wheel there. You then use the brakes and the gas to adjust your corner entry. What each pedal does depends on how the car is set up and how upsetting the weight balance affects it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There were some issues at first but a hotfix for the patch has been released. Assetto Corsa works with Oculus 1.3. it's still the same thing as before where you have to do everything on your monitor, press drive and then put on the rift. Once you're in the rift, it's all pretty good. There's a UI now so you can access the menus available in game as well as see the normal driving UI.

Some people are reporting they are getting it to work with the Vive via whatever method is used to make rift games work on the Vive.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What's the name of the server for finding it?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

njsykora posted:

They should change that server car selection so we can have a proper Nordschleife track day server.

While I am glad it is possible to change cars, I really hate the car selection for multiplayer. I guess with the way it is set up, they load each car into the track and then you can choose one and it spawns in. Really wish they could let you choose whichever car is on the list for the server without there being a limit for each car.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I like my V3 pedals. I ripped the rumble motors out. By rip, I mean I had to rip them out. I was able to unplug and unscrew them just fine but the wire runs through a part of the pedal that is too narrow for either end of the wire to fit through once assembled. I couldn't find any easy way to take that bit apart so I just ripped the wires out of the motors and pulled them out. I never used them anyway as I race in shoes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
People are saying the next thrustmaster wheel will be direct drive.

https://www.gtplanet.net/thrustmast...campaign=buffer

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Because every once in a while you get a professional driver who doesn't seem to be affected by rain like Senna and everyone thinks that will be them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
For anyone interested in doing Assetto Corsa in VR, I highly suggest using Virtual Desktop (I don't know if big screen works the same way in this case, but give it a try as it's free). Put your Rift on and launch Virtual Desktop. Open up assetto corsa and go through the menus like normal. When you go to drive, the rift will automatically switch to running AC in VR. When you quit out back to the menu, it will automatically load back into Virtual Desktop. If you get a black screen, press the oculus button twice on the remote.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Phuzun posted:

I didn't spend much time trying to use virtual desktop with my dk2 and AC, it didn't work like this for me though. Any idea what the double oculus button push is doing, since I don't have that? Perhaps the same as double xbox one button press?

Also, Assetto Corsa runs way better than Project Cars in VR. Using the Oculus Debug Utility allows you to increase the rendering pixels to make it look easy better too.

When was this? Was it a long time ago before Oculus Home came out? I'm not entirely sure why it works this way but I'm glad it does. Pressing the Oculus home button (or the xbox button on an xbox controller) just brings up the Oculus menu that allows you to exit to Home, bring up the IPD adjustment guide and reset the tracking center. Pressing it again goes back to Virtual Desktop and fixes whatever bug it was that caused it to go back to a black screen.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The Lotus 49 is the best car in Assetto Corsa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It was nice to have someone to race against this week. I was pretty close to Eyud but he's a bit faster and I made a couple mistakes.