Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jfrancis
Nov 7, 2005

I look smarter than I am.

Ariong posted:

It's pronounced V-A-P-E, though, so make sure to listen for that slight different in pronunciation!

That 'article' was a new low, even for the baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
does patreon notice if i run $1500 of my own money through my own page every month to look more popular than i actually am (asking for a friend)

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Asterios posted:

Hey there, fans! There's a new and exciting way for you to support your favorite content creators called "Pagetreon." Join me on this new and exciting digital journey, and reap totally awesome fan rewards!

Lmao ever heard the phrase "don't quit your day job?" It's like that but instead of a drunk heckler saying it it's the entire universe

Stop pretending to be a comedian - if not for our sake, then for your retard brother or whatever

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Asterios posted:

Hey there, fans! There's a new and exciting way for you to support your favorite content creators called "Pagetreon." Join me on this new and exciting digital journey, and reap totally awesome fan rewards!

gahahaha oh my god

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

I'm gonna monetize my own comedy writing now

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

jfrancis posted:

That 'article' was a new low, even for the baby.

I didn't think this one was that bad. I thought the DAD portion was actually pretty funny.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Comparing Trump to Palpatine? Classic! That kind of pop culture-to-real life comparison has never been done before, not on here or on any number of other websites! Great job go hog wild!

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

get that OUT of my face posted:

Comparing Trump to Palpatine? Classic! That kind of pop culture-to-real life comparison has never been done before, not on here or on any number of other websites! Great job go hog wild!

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/dumpstarwars-reshoots-trump/

There was a Star Wars + Trump frontpage article the day before, too.

Edit: Not a jab at anyone in particular, but it felt like a real oversight.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
if theres anything in life id like to see before my miserable existence runs its course, would be a trump death squad dragging president baby out and executing him like the animal he is. namaste

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
It's funny, I read the frontpage almost every day as part of my routine. I don't remember the writer's schedules but I normally guess halfway through who it is. If an article wasn't doing anything for me I would stop reading and close out, but not before checking the name. I noticed that a large amount of the ones I did not like was from President baby. That's fine, comedy is subjective. No worries.

Then I clicked on this thread about 2 weeks ago while browsing and realised that I am not alone. A lot of the critique in this thread has been in line with my own and that's fine too. Plenty of people get bad feedback and take that onboard before improving their material. The problem with Asterios material in my opinion is that he does not write what he thinks is funny. He writes what he thinks people will find funny. It's a cold and clinical way to approach comedy. And that is fine too, except Something Awful has always been at it's best when it is a little subversive and offbeat. The two Trump/Star Wars articles really highlight this. Zach has always been the most lauded writer on this site and while he occasionally misses. He always comes out swinging and usually mixes broad comedy and clever satire.

Unfortunately, the Palpatine article is so on the nose it feels like it was created by a comedy generator. They are almost the same joke and I did not find Zach's particularly funny but Asterio's was painful to read. It's family guy level poo poo. Star Wars reference +Trump jokes-self awareness. And I guess that's fine. I read half and skimmed the rest.

The thing that bugs me though is Asterio's attitude. Asking people to send them in their comedy articles and post them with the fee if he finds them funny is just a pathetic way to avoid criticism. I write, and I write comedy sometimes and there is no loving way I am sending him my work on some stupid challenge of "well if you don't like it you do better" Have some loving self respect dude and that includes listening to the bad feedback and taking the insults on the chin.

I am not going to send you in my work so you can use it to feel more secure in yourself or post and undermine it to make yourself look better. You write for a comedy website but that doesn't mean poo poo unless you deliver. And when people give you poo poo on the forums, welcome to the internet. There is nothing worse than seeing a comedian being heckled and losing his poo poo and cursing the guy out. Just cop the gently caress on dude and grow up. You don't see other writers on this site getting into hissy fits or snarkily promoting their lovely novelty books in the threads criticising them. Take the feedback and be thankful people are reading your poo poo and care enough to tell you how much you suck. Build on that and respect yourself and your loving audience.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Lonos Oboe posted:

It's funny, I read the frontpage almost every day as part of my routine. I don't remember the writer's schedules but I normally guess halfway through who it is. If an article wasn't doing anything for me I would stop reading and close out, but not before checking the name. I noticed that a large amount of the ones I did not like was from President baby. That's fine, comedy is subjective. No worries.

Then I clicked on this thread about 2 weeks ago while browsing and realised that I am not alone. A lot of the critique in this thread has been in line with my own and that's fine too. Plenty of people get bad feedback and take that onboard before improving their material. The problem with Asterios material in my opinion is that he does not write what he thinks is funny. He writes what he thinks people will find funny. It's a cold and clinical way to approach comedy. And that is fine too, except Something Awful has always been at it's best when it is a little subversive and offbeat. The two Trump/Star Wars articles really highlight this. Zach has always been the most lauded writer on this site and while he occasionally misses. He always comes out swinging and usually mixes broad comedy and clever satire.

Unfortunately, the Palpatine article is so on the nose it feels like it was created by a comedy generator. They are almost the same joke and I did not find Zach's particularly funny but Asterio's was painful to read. It's family guy level poo poo. Star Wars reference +Trump jokes-self awareness. And I guess that's fine. I read half and skimmed the rest.

The thing that bugs me though is Asterio's attitude. Asking people to send them in their comedy articles and post them with the fee if he finds them funny is just a pathetic way to avoid criticism. I write, and I write comedy sometimes and there is no loving way I am sending him my work on some stupid challenge of "well if you don't like it you do better" Have some loving self respect dude and that includes listening to the bad feedback and taking the insults on the chin.

I am not going to send you in my work so you can use it to feel more secure in yourself or post and undermine it to make yourself look better. You write for a comedy website but that doesn't mean poo poo unless you deliver. And when people give you poo poo on the forums, welcome to the internet. There is nothing worse than seeing a comedian being heckled and losing his poo poo and cursing the guy out. Just cop the gently caress on dude and grow up. You don't see other writers on this site getting into hissy fits or snarkily promoting their lovely novelty books in the threads criticising them. Take the feedback and be thankful people are reading your poo poo and care enough to tell you how much you suck. Build on that and respect yourself and your loving audience.

Yeah, this is basically how I feel but I didn't think pres babes would read an effortpost, thanks.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Davoren posted:

Yeah, this is basically how I feel but I didn't think pres babes would read an effortpost, thanks.

Same

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
Yeah, I wrote it and realised it was way to much. I consider it my exercise for the day and plan a large dinner to recover after it.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

It needed to be said though.

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

https://www.presidentbaby.com
ALERT: my hot new book is almost totally sold out of its first printing! If you wanna get your hands on this bad boy before Christmas, hop on Amazon, because they just bought out the very last of our stock.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

If only the ignore function worked on the front page.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Capntastic posted:

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/dumpstarwars-reshoots-trump/

There was a Star Wars + Trump frontpage article the day before, too.
There were two of them before this one, in fact. But both were better than this one, because Bobservo and Zack Parsons are funnier, in my opinion. Certainly, you won't find their writing styles on a lot of parts of the internet. On the other hand, Asterios has talked about his Onion credentials before, and his articles read like something from them- and not the offbeat, weird, yet containing a kernel of truth articles of days past, either.

Lonos, don't feel bad for writing that all out. It's a good critique, and if he weren't busy going "Buy My Book!" he should take it to heart.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Asterios posted:

ALERT: my hot new book is almost totally sold out of its first printing! If you wanna get your hands on this bad boy before Christmas, hop on Amazon, because they just bought out the very last of our stock.

this looks like a book made out of a blog.

this looks like a one-off article in a 2000s-era MAD Magazine.

this looks like it was written by your boss's wife.

this looks like a book that thinks Invader Zim was cancelled way too soon.

this looks like the afterword should be "~if this made u smile, send it to 10 of ur friends! God Bless~"

this looks like something your lovely uncle would get you as a last-minute christmas gift. he copped it from a Barnes & Noble 50% Off bin in between opening the plastic on the magazines and turning starbucks's largest table into his own personal study/reading room.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

get that OUT of my face posted:

Lonos, don't feel bad for writing that all out. It's a good critique, and if he weren't busy going "Buy My Book!" he should take it to heart.

Thanks, I really appreciate it. I seriously did not want to write a wall of text. I hate long winded poo poo, but when I looked at it, I felt it was a summation of a lot of what's being said. Him posting a plug for his book shows without referring to it proves Davoren and Aubergine right. It kinda makes me feel validated in the post. Dude got no time for nothing that ain't his personal keyword brand.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Lonos Oboe posted:

Thanks, I really appreciate it. I seriously did not want to write a wall of text. I hate long winded poo poo, but when I looked at it, I felt it was a summation of a lot of what's being said. Him posting a plug for his book shows without referring to it proves Davoren and Aubergine right. It kinda makes me feel validated in the post. Dude got no time for nothing that ain't his personal keyword brand.
Your post is good. Asterios' writing is bad.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

Regulation Size posted:

this looks like a book made out of a blog.

this looks like it was written by your boss's wife.

this looks like a book that thinks Invader Zim was cancelled way too soon.

this looks like the afterword should be "~if this made u smile, send it to 10 of ur friends! God Bless~"

this looks like something your lovely uncle would get you as a last-minute christmas gift. he copped it from a Barnes & Noble 50% Off bin in between opening the plastic on the magazines and turning starbucks's largest table into his own personal study/reading room.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Hahahaha bad thing + trump this guy's a genius

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lonos Oboe posted:

Long and thoughtful critique

Asterios posted:

This poo poo

You really are an irredeemable slimeball. No wonder you work in loving advertising you robotic cocksucker.

If your "book" is selling so well how come you're shilling it on a forums page with ~10 views a day? Is it just your undying passion for soulless cookie-cutter nonjokes? Comedy works best when you're capable of feeling human emotion hth dipshit.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 25 days!)

This is how a comedy website slowly dies. Slapfighting in a thread about front page articles.

Thank god I knew SA before it was cool (it was never cool) but before it fell off a cliff into a pit of used medical waste late last decade, currently suffering septic shock and necrosis with four broken limbs as it crawls across a desert consisting entirely of broken glass and unsold copies of self published books.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
You're right, we should stop criticizing bad comedy writing on the front page in the subforum specifically made for discussing the comedy writing on the front page you loving MENSA genius

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

KomodoWagon posted:

You're right, we should stop criticizing bad comedy writing on the front page in the subforum specifically made for discussing the comedy writing on the front page you loving MENSA genius

I never said you should stop.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Lonos Oboe posted:

i had a very clever idea for an article that would only be funny if president baby paid me to publish it under his name but he hasnt told me what the fee is so im going to assume its not very much

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

trying to jack off posted:

i had a very clever idea for an article that would only be funny if president baby paid me to publish it under his name but he hasnt told me what the fee is so im going to assume its not very much

I am under the impression it's like $30 an update. Which if so, ain't a bad supplement. Especially if you are a full time writer like most of the front page writers.

I still find it hard to put into words how childish and pathetic it is to challenge your critics like that. He even admitted he considered posting them and poking holes in them.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

KomodoWagon posted:

You really are an irredeemable slimeball. No wonder you work in loving advertising you robotic cocksucker.

If your "book" is selling so well how come you're shilling it on a forums page with ~10 views a day? Is it just your undying passion for soulless cookie-cutter nonjokes? Comedy works best when you're capable of feeling human emotion hth dipshit.

He's trolling the thread by posting his book poo poo.

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

https://www.presidentbaby.com
Thanks to all the great fan support, yesterday's post is one of the highest read posts we've had all year!

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
Jesus loving christ. Good luck buddy, you need it.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Lonos Oboe posted:

Jesus loving christ. Good luck buddy, you need it.

what's wrong with you, do you have a problem with somethingawful's courageous new direction as a low-grade clickbait purveyor

jfrancis
Nov 7, 2005

I look smarter than I am.

MrMidnight posted:

He's trolling the thread by posting his book poo poo.

Yes. It's hilarious.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
Yeah, he's a regular Andy Kaufman.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Regulation Size posted:

This summarizes Asterios so well.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

what's wrong with you, do you have a problem with somethingawful's courageous new direction as a low-grade clickbait purveyor

I think you'll find this is somethingisawful dot com, just ask doctor thorpe

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Lonos Oboe posted:

Yeah, he's a regular Andy Kaufman.

But Kaufman had talent though

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
I was trying for sarcasm, I learned it from president baby. he is pretty cutting edge in the cutting edge field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Andy Kaufman was entertaining because he wasn't very regular at all

• Locked thread