Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

get that OUT of my face posted:

People who think that "punching up" in comedy is more important than "being funny." Never mind that if you're gonna call those people "basement dwellers" or "dry dicks" or something of the sort, you're not even doing that. I'm not sure if that article uses those kinds of insults, because I didn't read it and have no interest in doing so.

He's not even punching up, he's leaning too hard on miserable setups whose main source of comedy is their lousiness. In humor theory terms he's buying whole hog into the superiority theory, that we laugh because we feel superior.

Reading the Jedediah article, same direction as the Valentine's article but the author instead makes him inept to the point of empathy where asterios just wants to make his subject an awful human being. This is something I notice in many of his articles, he's writing articles to berate groups he doesn't like but he forgets to tell jokes.

Shark balloon article falls into the same trap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
When I started the shark balloon article I was kinda into it. It has that Skymall catalogue potential for ridiculous. But it seemed to degenerate into the usual cheese monkey dishwasher poo poo all his articles do. Having checked out his other work I feel like it's like the whole analogy of if a lion could talk, would you understand it? I cannot seem to jump into the realm of finding his stuff funny. I try to imagine it like showing someone the Lowtax Pusherbot chat log and explaining why PAK CHOOIE is so funny. They would look at you like you were a moron.

I found Cuckmas Carols to be painful. But some people liked it. I guess I have to accept that's what a certain demographic consider comedy. I still sometimes read them hoping for that change, but it ain't coming.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
http://www.somethingawful.com/news/protect-poo-pee/

:iiapa:

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

And a confusing one at that

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Certainly is a mystery why he's still being paid. I don't think we're the right audience for his style unfortunately

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Aubergine Mage posted:

Certainly is a mystery why he's still being paid. I don't think we're the right audience for his style unfortunately

lowtax likes it

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Hideous article. I'll give him a break though. I thought the inflatable shark article was amusing.....and the Valentine's Day War on Men article was great. Some of the best articles on SA are written from the perspective of a fictional character.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
seems kinda weird to try and make an argument for trans bathroom rights in such a way that it completely invalidates and denigrates the issue, but i guess thats why president baby is so well loved

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Aubergine Mage posted:

Is he getting paid? I thought front-page writers do it for free. Maybe I'm mixing them up with the mods.

What I am sure of is that we're not the intended audience for his articles. As Pres. Baby said here himself, his job is to bring more eyes to and shares from the front page. He bragged about having 2k Facebook shares for his derivative and unfunny Emperor Palpatine article, so we can't argue with the results. But it's not the same style that we're used to.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

People do not like the frozen yogurt so the yogurt people make them buy it anyways

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Is he getting paid? I thought front-page writers do it for free. Maybe I'm mixing them up with the mods.

As far as I know, mods do it for the love of it and the clunge. I heard years ago front page writers got paid about $30-40 an article. I can't remember where I heard it, but it sounds kinda right. And not really an unfair figure considering how competitive the market is. Maybe it's different with web 5.0 and they just get that sweet, sweet CPM.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Lonos Oboe posted:

As far as I know, mods do it for the love of it and the clunge. I heard years ago front page writers got paid about $30-40 an article. I can't remember where I heard it, but it sounds kinda right. And not really an unfair figure considering how competitive the market is. Maybe it's different with web 5.0 and they just get that sweet, sweet CPM.

That's about market price now, Idk if lowtax pays better or worse than anyone else. Never wanted to write for SA personally, I have enough writing to do tbh

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lonos Oboe posted:

As far as I know, mods do it for the love of it and the clunge.

weird way 2 spell lowkey mental illness

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

What I am sure of is that we're not the intended audience for his articles. As Pres. Baby said here himself, his job is to bring more eyes to and shares from the front page. He bragged about having 2k Facebook shares for his derivative and unfunny Emperor Palpatine article, so we can't argue with the results. But it's not the same style that we're used to.
i have a feeling this only became his job description after the SA audience said he was poo poo lol.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Capntastic posted:

People do not like the frozen yogurt so the yogurt people make them buy it anyways

With threat of violence.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Toadvine posted:

With threat of violence.

That was implied by someone buying frozen yogurt, yes

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Saint Drogo posted:

i have a feeling this only became his job description after the SA audience said he was poo poo lol.
Probably

jfrancis
Nov 7, 2005

I look smarter than I am.
The front page is purged of baby articles. Feels good while it lasts.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

jfrancis posted:

The front page is purged of baby articles. Feels good while it lasts.

Sorry to burst your bubble, I have a preview of tomorroee's...

quote:

"The top triggering tweets from Donald Trump's bacta tank in his presidential mancave: Mighty cucks special.

by Asterios "President Baby" Kokkinos (@asterios) & Sandpaper

HEY TO ALL MY WONDERFUL AND LUXURIOUS FANS. HERE IS A LIST OF THINGS I TWEET ABOUT WHILE IN MY PRESIDENTIAL EMERGENCY OPERATIONS CENTRE. OR AS I HAVE NAMED IT. THE TRUMP CAVE WHERE I STRIKE FROM TO FIGHT AGAINST INJUSTICE, BAD HOMBRES AND MOTES OF DUST THAT DISTRACT PEOPLE FROM TALKING TO ME! THIS IS WHERE THE FUN BEGINS. DO YOU REMEMBER ANAKIN SKYWALKER SAID THAT? HE WAS THE BEST, JUST THE BEST. STAR WARS IS A LOT LIKE REAL LIFE. FOR EXAMPLE, I ONCE hosed A GIRL AND THEN CHOKED HER TO DEATH WHEN SHE WAS PREGNANT. GREAT MOVIE. GEORGE LUCAS IS A GENIUS..

( Approx 4 photoshopped tweets of the first four serious news items you think of that happened in the last month, interspersed with obscure pop culture references and absurdist humour.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Its weird the front page has been really good lately and I can't figure out why

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Its weird the front page has been really good lately and I can't figure out why

Maybe he is dealing with all that personal poo poo he mentioned and will come back like the lead singer in that Metallica documentary with a pony tail and black rimmed glasses and loving lay waste to us all like some kind of internet Sauron with a comedy mace.

One can hope...

One can dream...

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

It is rough to be a writer for money so I hope he is doing good

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Capntastic posted:

It is rough to be a writer for money so I hope he is doing good

Dude makes nearly 3 grand a month on patreon. Not saying that is great money, but if he was working like 20 hours a week on comedy writing or podcasts or whatever, he is still making out way better than I ever did long-term doing freelance writing.

Guy has an audience. Lord knows who it is, but it's there and it loves his rear end.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lonos Oboe posted:

Dude makes nearly 3 grand a month on patreon. Not saying that is great money, but if he was working like 20 hours a week on comedy writing or podcasts or whatever, he is still making out way better than I ever did long-term doing freelance writing.

Guy has an audience. Lord knows who it is, but it's there and it loves his rear end.

lol so random *holds up spork*-brand humor is alive and well on the Internet.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Prez Baby suggested that Lowtax should go on some creepy PUA guy's podcast. Against his better judgment, he did. Since then, there hasn't been any articles by our favorite front page punching bag.

Call me crazy, but I think these two things are related.

Edit: Bobservo is much better at doing funny, not-derivative political-related articles.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 7, 2017

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014
has president baby... stopped?1?!?

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Prez Baby suggested that Lowtax should go on some creepy PUA guy's podcast. Against his better judgment, he did. Since then, there hasn't been any articles by our favorite front page punching bag.

Call me crazy, but I think these two things are related.

Edit: Bobservo is much better at doing funny, not-derivative political-related articles.

I am always up for hearing Lowtax on a podcast because he is generally witty, if it's a trainwreck all the better. I did a quick search, and judging by the description of the episode alone I think your theory holds water.

Edit: http://thedickshow.com/episode-44/ Jesus Christ this is unlistenable.

I have really grown to like Bobservo's stuff. His podcast work is pretty good too. Retronaughts is a chill show about people geeking hardcore on old games and sometimes chiptunes. And Talking Simpsons is an episode by episode review show run by the biggest Simpson's nerds I have ever heard. I am not big Simpsons fan these days. But the writing and animation trivia alone is fascinating.

Dude puts out good content.

Lonos Oboe fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 8, 2017

Bipolar Transistor
Feb 21, 2016

I said a flip, flop, the hippie the hippie to the flip flop flop, you dont stop the rock it to the bang bang boogie say up jumped the boogie to the rhythm of the boogie, the beat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvUyynqZA_4

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

what is this garbage?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Out of Band II posted:

has president baby... stopped?1?!?

Well, looks like my work here is done

Voltraine
Feb 8, 2017

by Smythe
I'm glad this worked

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

He's dead RIP

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB1Go4Y9eN4

He's gone to a louder/better place.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
some guy called him a cuck on online or some poo poo and he spent at least a month trying to fight him.

he seems suited for the smaller pond, but that pond is full of the funny frog demographic if you know what i mean.

scott zoloft fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 3, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

scott zoloft posted:

some guy called him a cuck on online or some poo poo and he spent at least a month trying to fight him.
considering how thin-skinned he was towards criticism in this thread and the other one calling him a bad writer, this doesn't surprise me

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

https://www.presidentbaby.com
You guys are such liars, I didn't try to fight a mod from /r/the_donald who called me a cuck.

I did fight him!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJFTEAXxDAk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0mGOUw46Xs

Lowtax gave me some great advice. Rematch is this fall.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
:monocle:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm sorry I ever doubted you.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Asterios posted:

You guys are such liars, I didn't try to fight a mod from /r/the_donald who called me a cuck.

I did fight him!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJFTEAXxDAk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0mGOUw46Xs

Lowtax gave me some great advice. Rematch is this fall.

Holy poo poo. :captainpop:

Also I might have chuckled when the gym staff corrected the cat ear girlfriend who was making excuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

https://www.presidentbaby.com

DancingShade posted:

Holy poo poo. :captainpop:

Also I might have chuckled when the gym staff corrected the cat ear girlfriend who was making excuses.

Dealing with Catgirl was the toughest part of that night -- I couldn't just tell her to go gently caress herself, because she might have just said, "That's it, we're leaving!" and the whole fight would have been off.

Catgirl has since been called out by a bunch of listeners to fight, including my friend Lucy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGyeeIdySCA

• Locked thread