Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Is it at all possible for superdelegates to completely abstain from picking a candidate?

NewMars has issued a correction as of 15:40 on Feb 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

Sucrose posted:

What kind of undemocratic poo poo is that? Do the Republicans do that?

Turns out political parties are just clubs that get to set their own rules for internal elections and don't have to hold up any democratic values in their own systems.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
What is the current Democratic delegate account minus superdelegates?

Mystery Goomba
Jun 4, 2011

gohmak posted:

Bloomberg has a visually appealing delegate tracker which separates election delegates from superdelegates. Assuming their info is correct (and my mental math), Hillary so far has 32 delegates to Bernie's 34 without including superdelegates, which is way more narrow of a lead than you might expect considering his blowout win in NH.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

gohmak posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/us/elections/primary-calendar-and-results.html

Clinton 32
Sanders 34

MarcoRubio
Feb 3, 2016

Are you ready for a New American Century?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Does anyone know why there's still 17 precincts not reporting?

oystertoadfish posted:

one thing that might support my lil' assumption from the last few posts i made itt - a district with more non-voters is more likely to provide a new democratic voter than a district with fewer non-voters

i don't have the data here right now and i'm done doing math tonight but im inclined to think that higher turnout% correlates with higher romney%. but gently caress it. buttfuck it

one problem is that many districts with high non-voter rates, it's because of policies that make it really hard or impossible to vote for many of the non-voters. as such, even if you could get them to try to vote, they might not be able to!

like the most egregious example is banning voting by people ever convicted of a felony:

Incidentally, this tends to mean that a rural areas where prisons go get to count all the prisoners towards district apportionment, but the prisoners can't vote. which is kinda like how slave states could count slaves towards apportionment.

skaboomizzy posted:

He wants the USPS to offer banking services, so that's a start?

this is a terrible idea so long as the usps is expected to operate with minimal tax funding, to be honest. it's quite high risk, and should only be done in conjunction with ending the pseudo-seperate operation it's been under since nixon

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Regarding the Boomer shift right, a lot of the 60's radicalism was anti-institutional and focused on individual freedoms.

Reagan was able to twist that into an anti-government ideology, and added that to Nixon's "Silent Majority".

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Man people must have been so sick of Cruz's bullshit 30 minute victory speech that some guy I haven't heard of passed him by. Jeb! was like 4k shy of third holy poo poo.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

fishmech posted:

this is a terrible idea so long as the usps is expected to operate with minimal tax funding, to be honest. it's quite high risk, and should only be done in conjunction with ending the pseudo-seperate operation it's been under since nixon

Retail banking is a high risk industry? What are you smoking?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Microwaves Mom posted:

Man people must have been so sick of Cruz's bullshit 30 minute victory speech that some guy I haven't heard of passed him by. Jeb! was like 4k shy of third holy poo poo.

Cruz spent barely any money in the NH race

Mystery Goomba
Jun 4, 2011

I was looking at the charts that break down the results by township and was surprised at the amount of areas that have apparently no population. There are at least 20 locations without polling locations (primarily in Coös County), presumably because nobody lives there. It definitely makes sense when you account for the fact that much of those areas are mountainous/wilderness etc but I had no idea the extent of just how barren New Hampshire actually is in the north.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

fishmech posted:

you're such a dummy

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

gohmak posted:

From New Hampshire:

Bernie: 15
Clinton: 9

Those are preliminary numbers and could change once the vote is certified and we get solid counts of each congressional district.

Overall:

Bernie: 36 (21 soft pledged, 15 pledged)
Clinton: 32 (23 soft pledged, 9 pledged)

With superdelegates:

Clinton: 44 (24 soft pledged, 9 pledged, 12 PLEOs)
Bernie: 36 (21 soft pledged, 15 pledged, 0 PLEOs)
Uncommitted: 4 PLEOs

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Retail banking is a high risk industry? What are you smoking?

the retail banking industry is low risk precisely because they, legally, can refuse to serve high risk customers. banks are almost entirely free to discriminate against people by refusing to give them an account. creating a postal bank is intended as a means to open up having banking accounts to everyone, and that's a higher risk.

on top of that, the usps is currently expected to take care of almost all its expenses through revenue, because of the stupid decision to take it almost completely off taxpayer funding in the 70s.

if you make it a full part of the government again that can freely receive taxpayer funding, then the risk incurred from the banking stuff goes away, and making it a postal bank the way many other countries used to have makes sense.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/nh/new_hampshire_democratic_presidential_primary-3351.html

So according to the pre-primary polling, Sanders and Trump both outperformed their polling numbers. Trump by 3 points and Sanders by 5.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mystery Goomba posted:

I was looking at the charts that break down the results by township and was surprised at the amount of areas that have apparently no population. There are at least 20 locations without polling locations (primarily in Coös County), presumably because nobody lives there. It definitely makes sense when you account for the fact that much of those areas are mountainous/wilderness etc but I had no idea the extent of just how barren New Hampshire actually is in the north.

They also have names like Bean's Grant and Sargent's Purchase because nobody bothered to give them actual names.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

What kind of bitchmade precinct is this

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so is there any way trump loses sc?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Now here's how you do it, Pelham knows what's up.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Abel Wingnut posted:

Maybe if he has a Rubio level of bad debate performance but other than that I don't think so, SC is another open primary state and I can't imagine Trump's place in the polls there has dropped much if any.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

MaxxBot posted:

Maybe if he has a Rubio level of bad debate performance but other than that I don't think so, SC is another open primary state and I can't imagine Trump's place in the polls there has dropped much if any.

It's another region where Cruz's brand of Fungal Jesus Brain has some traction, so I expect he'll get a boost, but lots of undecideds are going to start drifting toward Trump because GOP primary voters always start voting for whoever's winning, sooner or later.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Abel Wingnut posted:

I don't see way for him to lose, his opposition is really divided and his double digit polling gives him a big lead even with the margin of error/

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Phlegmish posted:

Now here's how you do it, Pelham knows what's up.

So what you're trying to say here is never, ever go to Pelham.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Now let me tell you about a place called Seabrook, New Hampshire...they're Trump loyalists almost to a man.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

What kind of bitchmade precinct is this

It's where Dartmouth is located

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Joementum posted:

From New Hampshire:

Bernie: 15
Clinton: 9

Those are preliminary numbers and could change once the vote is certified and we get solid counts of each congressional district.

Overall:

Bernie: 36 (21 soft pledged, 15 pledged)
Clinton: 32 (23 soft pledged, 9 pledged)

With superdelegates:

Clinton: 44 (24 soft pledged, 9 pledged, 12 PLEOs)
Bernie: 36 (21 soft pledged, 15 pledged, 0 PLEOs)
Uncommitted: 4 PLEOs

Clinton tied Sanders among registered Democratic voters.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/it-gets-harder-from-here-for-bernie-sanders/

quote:

Despite winning the state by more than 20 percentage points, the best Sanders could manage among registered Democrats was a tie. His large margin came from registered independents who voted in the Democratic primary. You must be a registered Democrat to vote in the Nevada caucus, though you can register as one the day of the election. In 2008, 81 percent of Nevada caucus-goers thought of themselves as Democrats. Just 58 percent of New Hampshire voters on Tuesday thought of themselves as Democrats.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Yes this is good news for Hillary.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Doesn't everyone in NH have a big ol' boner for being an Independent, though?

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

This is a completely meaningless metric in NH, everybody registers independent so they can declare a party the day of the primary.

I want to see the relative turnout of each party for the primary and the election. How much of Trump's support yesterday was D voters picking the other ballot to get the max chaos outcome?

The only people who stay registered with a party longer than it takes to fill out a ballot are the absolute die hards and activists.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

turevidar posted:

This is a completely meaningless metric in NH, everybody registers independent so they can declare a party the day of the primary.

I want to see the relative turnout of each party for the primary and the election. How much of Trump's support yesterday was D voters picking the other ballot to get the max chaos outcome?

The only people who stay registered with a party longer than it takes to fill out a ballot are the absolute die hards and activists.

15% less than 2008 in NH.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

You could make it 51% Mittens. Turn left while you still can.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Mitt Romney posted:

15% less than 2008 in NH.

Hillary got 112,000 votes in NH in 2008. She got 93,000 last night.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Aliquid posted:

Hillary got 112,000 votes in NH in 2008. She got 93,000 last night.

Young white middle class whites love Bernie, sky also blue, tape at 11.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Mulva posted:

Young white middle class whites love Bernie, sky also blue, tape at 11.

Also the middle aged and poor

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

The X-man cometh posted:

Regarding the Boomer shift right, a lot of the 60's radicalism was anti-institutional and focused on individual freedoms.

Reagan was able to twist that into an anti-government ideology, and added that to Nixon's "Silent Majority".

the present-day "radicalism" is similarly aligned. who will be the reagan 20 years from now? time will tell.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Also non white vote evenly split but this doesn't mean anything for ~*~reasons~*~

Foo
May 16, 2003
Professional Sponge
I don't ask for much, but the only thing I'd like at this point is a contested convention (since a brokered convention doesn't seem possible anymore in this day and age, at least according to Joementum).

I think this is our chance guys-- slim as that is. If you have enough candidates being supported by PACS and enough of them unwilling to drop out, it may happen, especially if no one reaches the magic pledged delegate number. I heard the pundits yesterday putting the chance for that scenario at 20%. Unlikely, but still a possibility.

Is there any news on when new SC and NV polling is going to come out? They must be doing some furiously polling right now as we speak.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What would happen in South Carolina if it has the same 48/52 split in non white voters? Just as an exercise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

wow rude posted:

Also non white vote evenly split but this doesn't mean anything for ~*~reasons~*~

Minorities in the North vote like this.

Minorities in the South vote like thiiiiiis.

• Locked thread