Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013

Concerned Citizen posted:

Vote Trump. Why settle for the lesser of two evils?

Voting just for the yuks is a very real possibility this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Kings Of Calabria posted:

Voting just for the yuks is a very real possibility this year.

I like strategic chaos voting but would personally feel like the karma factor if your joke vote actually wins is too high. Just vote Clinton. Vote for a winner. It feels good when you vote for someone and they win.

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013

Bip Roberts posted:

I like strategic chaos voting but would personally feel like the karma factor if your joke vote actually wins is too high. Just vote Clinton. Vote for a winner. It feels good when you vote for someone and they win.

I respect Clinton as a woman, a lawyer, an accomplished politician, and a person; but I will never ever in my life vote for her because of her past and present stances on issues that directly relate to my lifestyle.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

If you live in a non swing state the logical thing to do is pay zero attention to the presidential race and instead become the most informed voter possible for all your local races for dog catcher or whatever.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Kings Of Calabria posted:

I respect Clinton as a woman, a lawyer, an accomplished politician, and a person; but I will never ever in my life vote for her because of her past and present stances on issues that directly relate to my lifestyle.

Hmm, maybe you have some growing up to do.

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013

Bip Roberts posted:

Hmm, maybe you have some growing up to do.

I can't wait until I mature into a person who votes based on cable news polls instead of what I feel is right.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I called a 27% win for Trump yesterday, we'll see how he does.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

oystertoadfish posted:

confirmation bias is either the best or the worst thing about statistics, depending on whether you're a normal person or a professional who actually has to use statistics for things instead of just talking poo poo
Not a statistician but my understanding is that most of these predictors are totally worthless since we only have a handful of elections to go by, and an enormous number of variables that can gently caress everything up. You can make informed guesses, like who will likely win New Hampshire considering the state's culture, polls making Trump the probable choice, etc. but the rest is just a wash.

Like, elections have this certain pattern and then whoops something drastic happens. A whole political party suddenly goes up in smoke. Who'd a thunk it. But the octopus in the jar predicted the Whig Party would win!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Omi-Polari posted:

Not a statistician but my understanding is that most of these predictors are totally worthless since we only have a handful of elections to go by, and an enormous number of variables that can gently caress everything up. You can make informed guesses, like who will likely win New Hampshire considering the state's culture, polls making Trump the probable choice, etc. but the rest is just a wash.

Relying on a sample like Dixville Notch is just asking for a “Dewey Defeats Truman” situation, basically. They’re great predictors, till suddenly they are not.

Scientific polls are as good as it gets.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It's also to say that parties are constantly changing and every election is different. Every president won doing something different from the last one. Whole new interest blocs (like the youth vote) come into being that didn't exist before. Or a major issue like sectionalism or civil rights breaks a party apart.

Immigration could do it, and actually threatened to with the early Republican Party which tried to expand its base with Catholic immigrants while placating anti-slavery Knownothings who opposed Catholicism because they thought of it as another form of slavery lmao

Ok I'll shut up now.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Hot take: I would like Bernie Sanders to win convincingly today.

:)

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Shinjobi posted:

Hot take: I would like Bernie Sanders to win convincingly today.

:)

He was +20% in NH in RCP at the end of IA. Anything less than that would be shameful.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Mitt Romney posted:

He was +20% in NH in RCP at the end of IA. Anything less than that would be shameful.

Yeah I don't really care, Mitt. Move along. :)

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Jim Gilmore is only down by nine votes!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Platystemon posted:

Relying on a sample like Dixville Notch is just asking for a “Dewey Defeats Truman” situation, basically. They’re great predictors, till suddenly they are not.

Scientific polls are as good as it gets.

Let's dispel with this fiction that Dixville Notch doesn't know what they're doing. They know exactly what they doing.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I'm relistening to the 538 podcast and it's a wild and crazy ride with voter intentions. The stump speeches seem to be more effective especially in the weather conditions, so if Trump is not working hard, he might miss out cos Cruz and Kasich and even Rubio are definitely doing better in those.

Joementum posted:

Let's dispel with this fiction that Dixville Notch doesn't know what they're doing. They know exactly what they doing.

Nothing to see here, everything proceeding as expected :v:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Joementum posted:

Kasich ruined their predictive value by personally calling every voter. No way Kashit is winning it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phlegmish posted:

Kasich ruined their predictive value by personally calling every voter. No way Kashit is winning it.

In the past, many candidates visited Dixville Notch, but Kasich was the only one this year.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Has New Hampshire made Gilmore the POTUS yet?

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Thump! posted:

Still a couple of hours to go

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Thump! posted:

He’s only behind by nine votes!

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Fill the Gill!

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Oh boy oh boy, I really can't imagine anything I'd rather be doing than watching the country's slow decline into fascism, probably with a hot cocoa to keep the cold out.

Joementum posted:

Voters will, for the first time, be required to show an ID in order to vote. Valid forms of ID include a NH driver's license, NH DMV non-driver ID card, military ID card, passport, or a student ID card from most schools and college in New Hampshire.

This is your daily reminder that requiring an ID to participate in an activity guaranteed in the Constitution is disgusting and barbaric and counter to the spirit of this great nation. That is all. (Please disregard if NH is a civilized place where ID are provided free of charge)

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

resurgam40 posted:

Oh boy oh boy, I really can't imagine anything I'd rather be doing than watching the country's slow decline into fascism, probably with a hot cocoa to keep the cold out.

This is your daily reminder that requiring an ID to participate in an activity guaranteed in the Constitution is disgusting and barbaric and counter to the spirit of this great nation. That is all. (Please disregard if NH is a civilized place where ID are provided free of charge)

I agree that it's p hosed up, however I'm not sure if private party primaries are protected in the same way that the general election is. Can anyone give some insight on the subject?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

resurgam40 posted:

I keep saying, if everyone was given subdermal identification implants at birth this wouldn't be an issue.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
so if rubio isn't in the top two here the slow-motion train wreck we've been watching for the past seven months begins to rapidly pick up speed right

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

baw posted:

so if rubio isn't in the top two here the slow-motion train wreck we've been watching for the past seven months begins to rapidly pick up speed right

Depends on who's is in the top two and what the spreads are.

If the top three are Trump at 30, Cruz at 20, and Rubio at 20, with the rest of the field splitting the remainder, then not much about the race has changed.

If the top four are Trump at 30, Cruz at 20, Kasich at 20, Rubio at 15 with the rest of the field splitting the remainder, still not much has changed because Kasich has no realistic plan past New Hampshire.

If Rubio and the Governors all tie at around 12%, then we're hosed. (Well, not really hosed, it actually just would make a Cruz nomination more likely.)

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

baw posted:

If he does badly enough, I think it lets the media run with the narrative of, "Rubio really is unprepared for the nomination," especially after his debate performance. Then its a question of whether Rubio can retain his status as the anointed one, or whether we get a Russian nesting doll effect where Bush gave way to Rubio who gave way to Kasich who might give way to Christie, etc.

EDIT: Joementum has a better answer than me.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Now if the top four are Trump at 30, Cruz, at 20, Jeb! at 20, and Rubio at 15, we're in for a wild ride.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Joementum posted:

Now if the top four are Trump at 30, Cruz, at 20, Jeb! at 20, and Rubio at 15, we're in for a wild ride.

i notice all of your scenarios have cruz in second, even though that's far from a certainty. if it isn't cruz or rubio in second, then it's a governor. and then hopefully we watch the establishment try to consolidate behind kasich or jeb :getin:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

oystertoadfish posted:

in florida elementary school every friday instead of the pledge they'd wheel a tv into the room and we'd sign along to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox4IRQVGsBU

we'd start sitting down and then on the last 'stand UP' with the cymbal crash we'd all stand up

i still know every word to the loving song

not relevant but im just sayin

Confirming that we did this in Western NY after 9/11 as well, and that this is the reason I am a liberal who hates American values.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Yeah, my scenarios also all have Trump in first, which isn't a sure thing either :)

The bigger point is that it's hard to see how Kasich or Christie could take a surge in NH and turn it into a viable campaign post New Hampshire. I think their ceiling is doing as well as Santorum did in 2012, able to hang on into the Spring, but unable to build the organization needed to take on a frontrunner when the contests start bunching up. Jeb! is the only one of the three with the resources to do that, but he's Jeb! so I'm not going to hold my breath for that to happen.

Dr Dracula
Oct 30, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Grimey Drawer
Rubio gonna do well.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If ˇJeb! somehow pulls off second, they might as well hand Trump the nomination.

Kasich or Christie would have an uphill battle, but they’re workable candidates. ˇJeb! is a low‐energy loser. Rubio is somewhere in between.

e: Yeah, Kasich and Christie lack ˇJeb!’s resources, but with a strong second‐place finish (“strong” compared not to Trump, but to third place), they’ll get resources fast.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 14:17 on Feb 9, 2016

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Joementum posted:

Yeah, my scenarios also all have Trump in first, which isn't a sure thing either :)

The bigger point is that it's hard to see how Kasich or Christie could take a surge in NH and turn it into a viable campaign post New Hampshire. I think their ceiling is doing as well as Santorum did in 2012, able to hang on into the Spring, but unable to build the organization needed to take on a frontrunner when the contests start bunching up. Jeb! is the only one of the three with the resources to do that, but he's Jeb! so I'm not going to hold my breath for that to happen.

this is good news. none of the governors are actually viable, rubio is the establishment's last hope. and he sucks

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Platystemon posted:

If ˇJeb! somehow pulls off second, they might as well hand Trump the nomination.

Kasich or Christie would have an uphill battle, but they’re workable candidates. ˇJeb! is a low‐energy loser. Rubio is somewhere in between.

Imagine a one on one debate between Trump and Jeb though :allears:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

baw posted:

this is good news. none of the governors are actually viable, rubio is the establishment's last hope. and he sucks

Yeah he sucks but he's the most appealing to dumb moderates

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Joementum posted:

Depends on who's is in the top two and what the spreads are.

If the top three are Trump at 30, Cruz at 20, and Rubio at 20, with the rest of the field splitting the remainder, then not much about the race has changed.

If the top four are Trump at 30, Cruz at 20, Kasich at 20, Rubio at 15 with the rest of the field splitting the remainder, still not much has changed because Kasich has no realistic plan past New Hampshire.

If Rubio and the Governors all tie at around 12%, then we're hosed. (Well, not really hosed, it actually just would make a Cruz nomination more likely.)

I think you're being a little optimistic with the potential for a less than second finish for Rubio. Trump wins around 30, Kaisich comes next around 17, Cruz is third around 12, JEB! and Rubio both come in in the 10 range and the remaining merry fools split the rest.

Really though, if Kasich can come in ahead of Rubio that's huge for our chances of watching the Republican field narrowed down to a pick between Chaotic Neutral and Lawful Evil. It restarts the coalescing of the establishment votes and begs all strains of media to talk about why Rubio sucks.

Really though, what we're all truly hoping for in the end is that in his speech Rubio tries to get us to dispel with the fiction that Barack Obama doesn't know what he's doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

So much they gave her a surprise victory over Obama 8 years ago when they could have crushed her.

• Locked thread