Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Well if anything Bernie is giving Hillary's campaign a good shakedown cruise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Is the New Hampshire primary winner take all?

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013

Omi-Polari posted:

We have a really narrow and highly mediated view of the past. And it's a big country. My dad grew up in Houston in the 60s and there were hippies there too but they were pretty massively outnumbered by shitkickers with crewcuts.

It's going to be reaaaaally interesting if Sanders and Trump pull off upsets that take them to the nomination. Great googly moogly! Unlikely but a lot of supporters of both assume there's a silent majority that shares their views. Which one is right?

This is the wrong thread, but what are your dad's stories about Houston back then like? That poo poo was blowing up hard so I image he could have easily been a wild west rancher or a prep school dingus with yankee parents.

Just today an episode of a podcast called Mortified came out, and the woman in the first story was from Texas and had the thickest twang ever, and was telling a story about 18 year old rancher kids getting married (cause that's just how they did back then), but on the other hand she was telling this story at a hipster-ish bar in Brooklyn and didn't sound THAT old. It just got me thinking what a weird place Texas is, and how it has a wild west and yuppie boomtown reputation at the same time. I'd like to pretend there was a political question here but there's not, you just happened to be talking about a thing I was thinking about today :P

Kings Of Calabria has issued a correction as of 08:40 on Feb 10, 2016

RedQueen
Apr 21, 2007

It takes all the running you can do just to stay in the same place.
Bernie at 60% and Hillary in the 30s looks so good goddamn

(Until he gets killed Super Tuesday)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sucrose posted:

Is the New Hampshire primary winner take all?

Only if a candidate breaks 85% which is pretty hard to do.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

etalian posted:

Only if a candidate breaks 85% which is pretty hard to do.

Why does Clinton currently have more delegates pledged to her (15 vs 13) if Sanders is beating her 60%-to-40% in the votes?

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
Superdelegates?

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only

Sucrose posted:

Why does Clinton currently have more delegates pledged to her (15 vs 13) if Sanders is beating her 60%-to-40% in the votes?

Because democracy. 1/4th of NH delegates are superdelegates and don't give a gently caress about votes.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Sacro posted:

Because democracy. 1/4th of NH delegates are superdelegates and don't give a gently caress about votes.

What kind of undemocratic poo poo is that? Do the Republicans do that?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Kings Of Calabria posted:

This is the wrong thread, but what are your dad's stories about Houston back then like? That poo poo was blowing up hard so I image he could have easily been a wild west rancher or a prep school dingus with yankee parents.

Just today an episode of a podcast called Mortified came out, and the woman in the first story was from Texas and had the thickest twang ever, and was telling a story about 18 year old rancher kids getting married (cause that's just how they did back then), but on the other hand she was telling this story at a hipster-ish bar in Brooklyn and didn't sound THAT old. It just got me thinking what a weird place Texas is, and how it has a wild west and yuppie boomtown reputation at the same time. I'd like to pretend there was a political question here but there's not, you just happened to be talking about a thing I was thinking about today :P
He was a lawyer's son but my lawyer grandfather was not a very good one so they were broke all the time. Not high-priced lawyer, more getting drunks and crooks out on bond type swamp lawyer.

It was just really rednecky. There were rich yuppies and the like, too. But there was one story where him and a friend got into a highway beer bottle throwing fight with a pickup truck full of rednecks that ended with the rednecks in a ditch and my dad and his friend drawing rifles on them. Might be some embellishing.

Though West Texas is still like that in parts. I have a friend from Big Spring (pronounced "Sprang") who told me a story about the mayor and a town lawyer nearly having a Wild West showdown ... a couple of years ago. His dad was one of the two but I forget which.

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 09:15 on Feb 10, 2016

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Sucrose posted:

no they do not

and it's hugely undemocratic but superdelegate pledges are also completely non-binding personal endorsements (before the convention), and it is very unlikely that superdelegates would vote en-masse to make someone who was down in pledged delegates the nominee regardless of commitments made earlier in the race- because the consequences for doing so are so obviously catastrophic in terms of schism/loss of legitimacy/reduced voter turnout/etc.

Tubesock
Apr 20, 2002

Sucrose posted:

The republican party has super delegates but they are bound to vote the same as the primary results, so it's just a title. Ron Paul managed to get the support of a bunch of super delegates in 2012 so in response the GOP changed the rules to force the super delegates to vote with the primary. Thus preventing scrub-tier candidates from getting any delegates. And now that's gonna burn them with Trump.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Sucrose posted:

I think the number of superdelegates on the Republican side are much smaller, although there's all kinds of arcane rules about the superdelegates of different states being bound to different results so it's hard to grind out the exact situation. The simplest explanation I've heard is some of the party's current and former big names are also counted as delegates at the convention and can cast votes on who the nominee should be. Hillary being the establishment candidate has basically all of them by default unless their state has some kind of rule preventing that.

Whether they'd use this power at the convention to swing the outcome away from the candidate who actually won more votes during the primaries is another question entirely. I can only assume in the current environment people would call the nomination "stolen" and it'd damage turnout. I think there were similar fears about Obama vs. Hillary in 2008 but it didn't come down to that.

Edit: Those other explanations are better, read them.

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013

Omi-Polari posted:

He was a lawyer's son but my lawyer grandfather was not a very good one so they were broke all the time. Not high-priced lawyer, more getting drunks and crooks out on bond type swamp lawyer.

It was just really rednecky. There were rich yuppies and the like, too. But there was one story where him and a friend got into a highway beer bottle throwing fight with a pickup truck full of rednecks that ended with the rednecks in a ditch and my dad and his friend drawing rifles on them. Might be some embellishing.

Though West Texas is still like that in parts. I have a friend from Big Spring (pronounced "Sprang") who told me a story about the mayor and a town lawyer nearly having a Wild West showdown ... a couple of years ago. His dad was one of the two but I forget which.

That's fuckin rad, thanks dude. I hope your better call saul grandpappy wore a bolo tie lol.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

yeah, my dad grew up in houston in the 50s/60s and the stories just make it sound shitkicker as hell.

its amazing how much it changed, by the time I was in school i bet the vast majority of my classmates' parents had moved to houston from out of state. i was made fun of for having a texan accent in houston schools lol

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Tubesock posted:

The republican party has super delegates but they are bound to vote the same as the primary results, so it's just a title. Ron Paul managed to get the support of a bunch of super delegates in 2012 so in response the GOP changed the rules to force the super delegates to vote with the primary. Thus preventing scrub-tier candidates from getting any delegates. And now that's gonna burn them with Trump.

That and campaign finance deregulation have put republicans in a trap of their own making.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Tubesock posted:

That's hilarious. Ron Paul got his revenge.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

rscott posted:

America is dumb and for years equivocated liberalism with all leftist ideologies, so what are you gonna call yourself when you're more left than a liberal?

Bernie Sanders.

thinking_now_when
Apr 2, 2010

The Trumpocalypse has been set in motion.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
So the polls are closed, right? But only 90% of stuff has been reported? When do we get the full results?

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

rscott posted:

Something like 27% of the electorate identified as liberal in 2000, that number had moved to 42% by 2015

It turns out that financial crises are a good way to move people to the left in a way that the slow strangle of the previous 30 years didn't

pretty sure history shows that theres always decades of liberallness and decades of conservatism

its just that the party candidates have (probably temporarily) swayed a little further from the center.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bernie Sanders vs. Donald Trump is going to be interesting. drat I wish Finnish politics wa this fun to follow.

haricots
Apr 12, 2014

Friendly Tumour posted:

Bernie Sanders vs. Donald Trump is going to be interesting. drat I wish Finnish politics wa this fun to follow.

There's still virtually no chance of this taking place.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Megaschmoo posted:

There's still virtually no chance of this taking place.

That a fact?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Joementum posted:

Hanover is Dartmouth and basically nothing else. You'd expect Bernie to do significantly better there.

[ftfy]

Maybe. The people registered in Hanover, however, are older and richer; my guess is that most of the students at Dartmouth vote in their home state, assuming they've slept off the hangover enough to even think about it.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Friendly Tumour posted:

Bernie vs Trump would be interesting. Hillary vs Trump would be terrifying.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Donald technically has a chance to win the nomination, which is more than can be said of Sanders

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Donald technically has a chance to win the nomination, which is more than can be said of Sanders

That was actually a request to provide some sort of statistical proof of the fact.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Friendly Tumour posted:

That was actually a request to provide some sort of statistical proof of the fact.

The next two Primary states haven't been polled since December, so it's unfortunately hard to tell exactly what's gonna happen in the next two weeks.

Suffice to say, we're gonna see some poo poo

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I can't imagine Kasich doing well in any other primary state except Ohio. He might be able to grab a handful of supporters in other Midwest states, like Michigan and Wisconsin, as the race winows, but I am not sure where his campaign goes from here. I doubt that he will see much of a boost when polling is done in the next few states.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
93.8% reporting on politico, and Rubio has dropped below 10%. If he ends outside the threshold for delegates that is ultra lol

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

axeil posted:

:siren: GILMORE NOW TIED WITH SANTORUM AT 98 VOTES :siren:

Gilmore is loving demolishing his Iowa vote count. He's looking at a tenfold increase. Biggest story of this primary, in my opinion.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Scott Forstall posted:

93.8% reporting on politico, and Rubio has dropped below 10%. If he ends outside the threshold for delegates that is ultra lol

The best part is that now Bush and Rubio will continue to stab each other until Super Tuesday and beyond. Meanwhile, elsewhere in the party...

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

a cop posted:

Bernie would schlong Trump even harder than Hillary.

And you thought Nailin' Palin was good!

edit

Uh oh, looks like Hillary is in trouble!

What's that, a Dick Morris article?

Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign is falling apart. Bernie Sanders soared in New Hampshire and now two polls have him tying her nationally. It’s a disaster.

Looks like Hillary is gonna be ok!

Sir Tonk has issued a correction as of 15:05 on Feb 10, 2016

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

Sucrose posted:

Primaries are internal decisions of private, non-governmental entities and can conduct business however they want.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Scott Forstall posted:

Where are you seeing this? The following link just has 92% reporting, and Rubio has 10.5%.
http://www.politico.com/2016-election/results/map/president/new-hampshire?lo=ut_d1

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

Petey posted:

[ftfy]

Maybe. The people registered in Hanover, however, are older and richer; my guess is that most of the students at Dartmouth vote in their home state, assuming they've slept off the hangover enough to even think about it.

NH has same day voter registration and the whole upper valley is generally more liberal than most of the rest of the state. I'm pretty sure all our state reps are Dems. I'm sure the Dartmouth vote was not insignificant and anyone interested enough to vote is likely going to take advantage of the FITN opportunity.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
I should have screen shot it but he had 9.8 with 93.8 reported. I went back to the page and it refreshed and now says what you have. Maybe a mistake, I guess we'll know the final soon anyway.

5th is bad for Rubio full stop but if he also slips below 10% Trump and everyone will just lay into him about it all the more.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker
Like Trump needs a reason to lay into someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Scott Forstall posted:

I see 10.5% for Rubio on Politico's website, but he has no delegates behind his name...

• Locked thread