Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

I'd love to run as a candidate who just collects money and uses it to throw absolutely amazing parties and run over-the-top parody campaign ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Joementum posted:

He knows that hotels have laundry service, right?

https://twitter.com/politico/status/697112999887249408

I'm starting to think he has some kind of medical problem that creates fatigue and/or drowsiness. :ohdear: #SaveBenCarson

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Zelder posted:

And what is it communicating to me? He dropped to fifth in Florida? I'm sick and exhausted

If you drop under 10% in NH, you get no delegates at all (the terror!!!). The tweet's a rhetorical joke.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

lamentable dustman posted:

Is that Sarah Palin?

In my imagination, anything is possible :allears:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Brannock posted:

148/300

Trump, Donald GOP 39,996 34%
Kasich, John GOP 19,384 16%
Cruz, Ted GOP 13,769 12%
Bush, Jeb GOP 13,512 11%
Rubio, Marco GOP 12,492 11%
Christie, Chris GOP 9,475 8%
Fiorina, Carly GOP 5,242 4%
Carson, Ben GOP 2,712 2%

Goddammit the price for Christie dropping out and Kasich taking second is going to be Rubio getting above 10% isn't it :gonk:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Goetta posted:

Pretty folksy ramblings from a union busting shitlord

Yeah I'm bored as hell. But he'll get the usual Random Spotlight for a while.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

uncurable mlady posted:

I'm not sure how everyone hasn't self-deported themselves to a gas chamber

Well, they did end up getting USPOL gassed, and at least the Dem thread is acting as a decent B/H quarantine zone for now.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

uncurable mlady posted:

I also can't figure out why people who are in college are gung ho about free tuition. Does he want to make it retroactive? What about the people who are still dealing with tens of thousands of dollars in debt that graduated already? At least shilldawg has mentioned some things about continuing Obamas loan reforms.

It's mostly young people going "Wow, this is some bullshit!" and wanting policy change. Other generations would be more gung ho too if they ever experienced tuitions that high.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Why is Clinton (expected to be) so popular with minorities?

I'm not American so I'm just trying to wrap my head around it.

Some more theories:
1) She's always polled well with minorities, for starters, and continues to do so.
2) Bill's really good at actually being normal around black people and his administration is associated with an economic boom period that greatly benefitted black people re: unemployment and income; the expansion of the Earned Income Tax Credit helped too.
3) Hillary Clinton's seen as a sure thing and minorities are terrified of the possibility a Sanders candidacy will end up with an all-Republican controlled government because they know from experience they'll end up suffering most.

The Tough on Crime and Welfare Reform bills that occurred during the Clinton administration are also only acknowledged as harming minority communities in retrospect, at the time a lot of minorities were in favor of those policies so they don't usually associate the Clintons with those policies' long-term side effects the way you might expect.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

14th amendment, fam.

stripping the right to vote for criminal behaviour is explicitly constitutional.

Before you say "but that's insane" that's the actual legal logic used by the Supreme Court to uphold the constitutionality of felony disenfranchisement in 1974, 6-3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Mulva posted:

How was that not 9-0?

The dissenters objected based on:
A) jurisdictional issues (it shouldn't be in front of the Supreme Court in the first place), and
B) The Equal Protection Clause governing the right to vote.

Justice Marshall posted:

In my view, the disenfranchisement of ex-felons must be measured against the requirements of the Equal Protection Clause of 1 of the Fourteenth Amendment. That analysis properly begins with the observation that because the right to vote "is of the essence of a democratic society, and any restrictions on that right strike at the heart of representative government," Reynolds v. Sims, 377 U.S., at 555 , voting is a "fundamental" right. As we observed in Dunn v. Blumstein, supra, at 336:

"There is no need to repeat now the labors undertaken in earlier cases to analyze [the] right to vote and to explain in detail the judicial role in reviewing state statutes that selectively distribute the franchise. In decision after decision, this Court has made clear that a citizen has a constitutionally protected right to participate in elections on an equal basis with other citizens in the jurisdiction. See, e. g., Evans v. Cornman, 398 U.S. 419, 421 -422, 426 (1970); Kramer v. Union Free School District, 395 U.S. 621, 626 -628 (1969); Cipriano v. City of Houma, 395 U.S. 701, 706 (1969); Harper v. Virginia Board of Elections, 383 U.S. 663, 667 (1966); Carrington v. Rash, 380 U.S. 89, 93 -94 (1965); Reynolds v. Sims, supra." [418 U.S. 24, 78]\

I think it clear that the State has not met its burden of justifying the blanket disenfranchisement of former felons presented by this case. There is certainly no basis for asserting that ex-felons have any less interest in the democratic process than any other citizen. Like everyone else, their daily lives are deeply affected and changed by the decisions of government.

Moreover, there are means available for the State to prevent voting fraud which are far less burdensome on the constitutionally protected right to vote. As we said in Dunn, supra, at 353, the State "has at its disposal a variety of criminal laws that are more than adequate to detect and deter whatever fraud may be feared." Cf. Harman v. Forssenius, 380 U.S. 528, 543 (1965); Schneider v. State, 308 U.S. 147, 164 (1939). The California court's catalogue of that State's penal sanctions for election fraud surely demonstrates that there are adequate alternatives to disenfranchisement.

The disenfranchisement of ex-felons had "its origin in the fogs and fictions of feudal jurisprudence and [418 U.S. 24, 86] doubtless has been brought forward into modern statutes without fully realizing either the effect of its literal significance or the extent of its infringement upon the spirit of our system of government." Byers v. Sun Savings Bank, 41 Okla. 728, 731, 139 P. 948, 949 (1914). I think it clear that measured against the standards of this Court's modern equal protection jurisprudence, the blanket disenfranchisement of ex-felons cannot stand.

• Locked thread