Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013

Roland Jones posted:

Well, that more sense than what I thought (that two people decided to vote for Jill Stein, of the Green Party, in the Democratic Primary, for whatever weird reason someone would do that).

What's so terrible about Jill Stein? I lived in MA last election so it was easy knowing that my "babbys first protest vote" wouldn't actually do anything, though I didn't consider it a total waste. I don't see anything terrible about her other than maybe some ~ivory tower elitism~ that doesn't bother me much. Is there some smoking gun I should know about before I do the same thing again when Clinton gets the D nomination?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013

XboxPants posted:

It would be rather odd to think that a Green Party candidate is one of your options... in the Democratic Primary.

Oh ha my bad. I thought the idea was that any Stein vote would be throwing it away, probably should have paid attention to the bigger conversation :P

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013

Bip Roberts posted:

Instead of making a protest vote you can take your vote out of the garbage.

Ok so what is my option here? I'm going to be voting in Massachusetts again and Clinton is going to take it as the D nominee, and she will take this state easily in the general. I'm a Sanders supporter but I actually do like Hillary. But there's no way in hell I'll vote for her when I have the option of showing some love to a person that I agree with on most issues. If I was voting in Florida or Ohio or something I might give it a second thought but the way it goes around here, I don't consider a vote for Stein to be in the garbage.

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013

Concerned Citizen posted:

Vote Trump. Why settle for the lesser of two evils?

Voting just for the yuks is a very real possibility this year.

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013

Bip Roberts posted:

I like strategic chaos voting but would personally feel like the karma factor if your joke vote actually wins is too high. Just vote Clinton. Vote for a winner. It feels good when you vote for someone and they win.

I respect Clinton as a woman, a lawyer, an accomplished politician, and a person; but I will never ever in my life vote for her because of her past and present stances on issues that directly relate to my lifestyle.

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013

Bip Roberts posted:

Hmm, maybe you have some growing up to do.

I can't wait until I mature into a person who votes based on cable news polls instead of what I feel is right.

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013

Omi-Polari posted:

We have a really narrow and highly mediated view of the past. And it's a big country. My dad grew up in Houston in the 60s and there were hippies there too but they were pretty massively outnumbered by shitkickers with crewcuts.

It's going to be reaaaaally interesting if Sanders and Trump pull off upsets that take them to the nomination. Great googly moogly! Unlikely but a lot of supporters of both assume there's a silent majority that shares their views. Which one is right?

This is the wrong thread, but what are your dad's stories about Houston back then like? That poo poo was blowing up hard so I image he could have easily been a wild west rancher or a prep school dingus with yankee parents.

Just today an episode of a podcast called Mortified came out, and the woman in the first story was from Texas and had the thickest twang ever, and was telling a story about 18 year old rancher kids getting married (cause that's just how they did back then), but on the other hand she was telling this story at a hipster-ish bar in Brooklyn and didn't sound THAT old. It just got me thinking what a weird place Texas is, and how it has a wild west and yuppie boomtown reputation at the same time. I'd like to pretend there was a political question here but there's not, you just happened to be talking about a thing I was thinking about today :P

Kings Of Calabria has issued a correction as of 08:40 on Feb 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013

Omi-Polari posted:

He was a lawyer's son but my lawyer grandfather was not a very good one so they were broke all the time. Not high-priced lawyer, more getting drunks and crooks out on bond type swamp lawyer.

It was just really rednecky. There were rich yuppies and the like, too. But there was one story where him and a friend got into a highway beer bottle throwing fight with a pickup truck full of rednecks that ended with the rednecks in a ditch and my dad and his friend drawing rifles on them. Might be some embellishing.

Though West Texas is still like that in parts. I have a friend from Big Spring (pronounced "Sprang") who told me a story about the mayor and a town lawyer nearly having a Wild West showdown ... a couple of years ago. His dad was one of the two but I forget which.

That's fuckin rad, thanks dude. I hope your better call saul grandpappy wore a bolo tie lol.

• Locked thread