Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Click banner for Official Thread Soundtrack

Old Threads:
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive - The re-remake!
Dust. Dust never - wait, they did what?
Pretty p90 for a Fabulous Famas?
Chicken Changes Based on Pro Feedback
More pretty flowers added to compensate
meet de_dust2 boss, same as de_dust boss

Brokers:
  • Captain Invictus - Will buy your rare items for actual irl cash, not just Steambux. He will take a cut since he's taking the risk on the actual sale but with how many goons have been ripped off in this and previous threads it's worth it.

Goon Servers! :fiesta:
  • Buttman Brigade - This server is mostly used for GoonPugs, which are crazy fun and you should definitely join us. Props to astr0man for coding the plugin and Fat Lou & Prostidude for running the server. :rip:
  • sub.io - Another GoonPug server run by whoknew. I think this server's version of GoonPug is slightly different or something idk I've stopped paying attention to who's developed what.
  • Counter-Strike 1.6 - Vanilla [FastDL] [1337 FPS] - A 1.6 server run by Mandator. Go here whenever Valve adds anoTHE RBULLSHIT gently caress-GARBAGE UPDATE UGGH

Steam Group - Join the chat room to request an invite, join in on GoonPug/matchmaking fun, or some random pub stomping when we're feeling sassy. ;-*

What is Counter-Strike
This ain't your brosef's FPS! CS:GO is the most recent installment of the Counter-Strike series, one of the longest running and most successful FPS games of all time. CS:GO is known for being extremely fast-paced, competitive, and unforgiving. To be decent players must have a very well-honed situational awareness, tight aim, and the ability to communicate with their teammates telepathically. The series has been going strong for over a decade now, testament to both the game's solid foundation and robust community.

For the lost sheep who are returning to the flock from 1.6 or Source, you'll find that CS:GO is the same in all the ways that matter but also with a bunch of additions that add tons of value to the game. The community workshop is now integrated into the map system so developers can push updates globally without having to rely on the frustrating _b1, _b2, _final, _finalFORREALTHISTIME crap. TF2-esque cosmetic weapon drops have been added, some of which go to supporting the competitive community. There are a few new weapons/grenades while the TMP and MP5 have been retired rip. Finally there is now a competitive ranked matchmaking system which actually functions fairly well.

For new players: Counter-Strike is the Real poo poo™. If you enjoy the FPS genre while feeling that the CoDs or Battlefields just aren't scratching that itch right because *something* is missing, CS:GO is probably for you. This is a mostlyno-frills game that relies on rewarding and engaging gameplay to hook players rather than convoluted XP systems, yearly releases, or pay-to-win 'expansion' packs lol who the gently caress am i kidding. Your access to better weapons depends solely on your team's performance in the current game. Your 'skills' are only unlocked by yourself when you put in the effort to talk to/observe/play against better players and decide that you want to be better. Because of this, CS:GO can be an extremely rewarding as its high skill ceiling/steep difficulty curve makes those glorious hero-moments that much sweeter.

But don't take my word for it!

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm so glad I listened to the Steam thread and got CS:GO and not just 1.6. This is like the video game equivalent of "Gravity." So intense!

What's new?

For those of you returning from CS 1.6 or Source, all you need to do is get used to the new spray patterns and you'll be right at home. Here's a brief list of changes:
  • Pistols : The pistol game has been shaken up and they're noticeably more effective across the board. Eco rounds are much more dynamic due to this and has led to new meta-strategies. More on that later. Oh and now there's a loving revolver. I'm not making this up.
  • Shotguns : Two new shotguns have been added. Shotguns are also slightly buffed and you actually see them used rarely at upper levels of play.
  • SMGs : Valve fiddled with these for a long time and it seems like they've finally settled down. These are roughly unchanged but the MP5 has been replaced with the MP7 and the TMP has been removed altogether.
  • Rifles : The AUG & Sig 553 have received slight buffs and are seen occasionally at comp level play. The AWP has been tweaked and may take a bit of getting used to but it's still just as deadly as before. The scout is slightly more effective and is also seen occasionally at upper levels of play.
  • Machine Guns : lol
  • Equipment : Two new grenades have been added, the decoy and the molotov/firebomb. The decoy is best used as a fake flashbang but you'll see bad players attempt brilliant NEXT LEVEL STRATZ with them all the time. The moltov can add a very interesting dynamic to tense situations when used properly and you should definitely look into them.
  • Taser : PFFFFFRRRRRNNNNNN

There's also been an addition of new gamemodes which before has always been the responsibility of the mod community to implement. If you're posting in this thread or even playing this game in general everyone is going to assume you're playing competitive. That is what most people come for and if you're not playing comp... man you really gotta try it. It's a ton of fun:
  • Deathmatch :madmax:
      Great for new players and veterans alike. Simply choose your weapons and go kill things until you don't feel like it anymore. This is a great mode for getting accustomed with new maps, learning how different guns operate, or warming up a bit before you jump into a competitive match.
  • Arms Race :jihad:
      A streamlined implementation of the classic arms race mod from previous games. You start with a weapon and advance a level every time you get a kill. The first player to get a kill with the golden knife (the last level) wins the round. This is also a very good game mode for beginners, as you'll quickly learn the faster and more basic gameplay mechanics here due to how rapidly you go from dying to jumping right back into the fray, while still being forced to think somewhat tactically by being forced to use certain weapons.

• Demolition :happyelf:
      A sort of hybrid between a condensed and streamlined version of classic counter-strike and a simplified arms race. Both teams have a ladder of weapons to advance up, while the game is still divided into rounds that are won by either eliminating the other team or detonating/defusing the bomb. Good for intermediate players who want to get more accustomed to the larger game mechanics but not wanting to dive into a full competitive game just yet.
  • Casual :baby:
      A good mode for beginner and intermediate players who are interested in getting into competitive play but don't want to be yelled at for not knowing the finer details just yet. The teams are larger, allowing you to blend in and be terrible without being noticed. There's also less emphasis on economic planning as everyone is automatically given armor and a helmet while the CTs also get defuse kits.
  • Competitive
      This is what most people think of when they think counter-strike. CS:GO features a ranked matchmaking system allowing you to team up with your fellow goons and compete against a team of similar skill. While the ranking system allows players of all skill levels to enjoy this mode, you should try to only enter lobbies with players who are a similar rank to you. If you're a new player, entering a lobby with veterans will probably result in you playing against veterans, and you won't have a very good time, although you'll definitely learn quickly. Same goes if you're a veteran with a new player; you'll often find yourself having to pick up the slack or losing rounds despite doing well yourself.

Matchmaking FAQ:
    • I'm scared. I- I think I'll stick with casual :ohdear: : Competitive can seen really intimidating at first and honestly in all likelihood you'll be retrieved with a squeegee after your first match. However as you get used to the format you'll quickly find it's the only way to play. More tips for beginners are below.
    • Why can I only get two wins a day : This is an anti-smurf measure. It's not very effective but it's all we've got. Don't worry it won't take too long to get those wins.
    • I'm at $rank and it's bullshit I'm definitely better : No you're not. It's probably a weekly occurance where someone comes into the thread talking about how the ranking system is BS and they're totally better guys, really. Once we review the poster's demos it's clear that no- they absolutely belong at exactly their rank. So lesson #1: The first step to getting better is admitting that you're terrible.
    • How do I rank up : Win more games than you lose. That's all there is to it. There are tons of people out there who are convinced they've cracked Valve's secret algorithm to determining ranks but all it comes down to is win/loss ratio. If you are good enough to consistently swing the game in your favor, you WILL rank up. Period. If you can't consistently do this, you will not rank up. Period.
    • Wait... if you have to be that good to rank up just once then that means the skill gap between the bottom and top is... :stare: : Yup. Welcome to Counter-Strike.
    • How do I get out of silvers : Keep focusing on the fundamentals laid out later in this guide. Being just half-good at even one of the categories will bottle-rocket you out of the silver ranks. Trust us. We've watched newbies do it a thousand times.
    • How do I get out of novas : Put briefly - 'stop being dumb.' Do you regularly tell yourself 'agh that was a dumb move' after getting killed? Start trying to predict what those dumb moves will be BEFORE you make them. Most novas excel once they learn to be patient and pick their battles. Play to win the round, not to score frags.
    • How do I get out of the guardians : You need to get better in all categories. Your sprays have to be tighter, your predictions more accurate, your grenades more effective. At this level you really need to start depending on your teammates and supporting them. Lone-wolfing will rapidly become less effective here.
    • Eagle and up : Time. Straight up the only thing that will get you to this rank and higher is lots of time and preferably a team you can rely on. The differences at these ranks are very subtle and only come with lots of experience. If you're new to counter-strike you will not attain this rank for at least a year and tons of hours, and that's being VERY generous. Most people at these ranks have been playing for over a decade. Again, welcome to Counter-Strike.

And that's what the game has to offer out-of-the-box!

But there's also a sixth game-type...

• GOONPUGS :pcgaming:
      A mod developed by our very own astr0man. This gamemode has 10 goons elect two team captains, who then pick teams. Once teams have been picked, they'll be pitted against each other in a match using the competitive rules with a few small modifications. Players of all skill levels are welcome!
:haw: Sounds great! How do I get involved? :haw: - Ask for an invite to our steam group(s) here in the thread and someone will invite you. We used to idle in the chatroom but no one does that anymore. This section has been deliberately left blank. If it’s still blank by the time you’ve read this, then no one has given me a better way to join the group to put in this spot. Deal with it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I heard you guys are mean to newbies :saddowns:
    Extremely! This is mostly due to the competitive nature and speed of the game. Typically when info is given to the team, we expect results almost immediately. There's no time to dilly-daddle here! So unfortunately, yes, no matter what you are going to be yelled at, it can't be helped. Fortunately you can minimize the abuse you receive by learning a bit by following some of these rules!

• TELL US IMMEDIATELY AND IN NO UNCERTAIN TERMS THAT YOU ARE NEW and even more importantly IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT WE'RE SAYING, TELL US YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND
      Many complex or detailed things are often times reduced down to single words out of necessity due to the high speed nature of this game. I'll be going over the more common topics, but please don't be afraid to ask your captain what you should be doing if you're in doubt.

• You actually have to aim
      If you're coming from a game more oriented towards consoles like Call of Duty or Halo, you're going to have to break a lot of bad habits when it comes to gun play. The most effective weapons in this game require a finesse that controllers simply can't provide. While you're first getting accustomed to the game, always always fight the urge to lay on the trigger. Do not spray. Ever. Fire a small burst, regain your aim, then fire another. There are more advanced strategies that will allow you to get even better later, but for now, always fire in bursts.

Once you're comfortable with firing without spraying... you should go back to spraying! However spraying in this game isn't like any other FPSs. Here's a great writeup on it by our buddy Slime: CS:GO Recoil Mechanics

Another important thing to keep in mind is that firefights are often extremely fast in this game, oftentimes over before you even know it's happening. Very small slivers of time can end up making a big difference in a firefight, so it's important to be efficient as possible at all times. The #1 rookie mistake in CS:GO is players keeping their crosshairs in the ground, ready to pull up whenever an enemy appears. This is incorrect. I understand that keeping the crosshairs down allows you to see better, but not only does it take time to pull the crosshair up (bad), its also a large distance to cover in a short amount of time which will cause you to be much less accurate once you do finally reach the enemies head. Also, if your opponent is aiming properly, i.e. keeping his crosshair where he expects YOUR head to be, you'll likely be dead before you can even squeeze a shot off. Keep your crosshairs up!

Also: DONT CROUCH! Well, you can, but it's like spraying. It may improve your aim but it will place your head into your center of mass (bad) and also immobilize you (very bad) Break the habit first and play without it entirely. Once you can play without it you can bring it back in. This is easily the most common newbie mistake that we see.

• Your mouse sensitivity is almost definitely too high
      If you're playing with a competent team and you know the map the great majority of enemies should be appearing inside your field of view if not very close or already under your crosshair. Because of this you gain much more by having a low sensitivity, improving your aim in these scenarios, than having a high sensitivity which allows you to respond to being flanked. If this advice seems wrong to you because you're being flanked often enough that keeping a higher sensitivity makes sense, your primary concern should be improving your situational awareness and tactics as that will have a way larger impact on your overall skill. Some goons, including myself, argue that lowering your sensitivity FORCES you to keep your crosshair up and use proper positioning, as you can no longer use insane twitch shooting as a crutch to prop up lazy playing.

Generally you want it to take over ten inches to turn 360 degrees. Yes you read that correctly. Yes your sensitivity is WAY too high.

Also be sure to select 'Use Raw Input' in the options. Most operating systems have mouse acceleration turned on by default which will screw with your aim. Having a 1-1 interpretation of your movements is significantly better.

Use this tool to find out what your 360/sensitivity is: http://www.notalent.org/sensitivity/sensitivity.htm

This is what good crosshair placement looks like:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j45QQadF6fE
      Basically any time you start to feel like you're getting good just come back to this to remind yourself that you're actually a literal baby mashing a keyboard.

• Learn the maps and how to call out locations
      A lot of this game revolves around knowing where exactly the enemy is. Learning the names of all the locations on maps will let you communicate much more effectively with your team. Failure to communicate enemy players locations can cause your team to react to situations too slowly, but miscommunications can lead to disasters. For an example of what a disaster looks like, watch minineo shoot me in the back of the head after I fail to hear his location called out by a teammate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Weybw27aMPE
      There are a ton of mistakes made by the T team in this video, see if you can spot them all!

• There is an economy and it's very important
      There were some words here but Jeza’s & Daeno’s are better:

Jeza posted:

Pistol Round

CT:
      • - Pro-team player: Nade, Flash, Smoke, or as a bitch, kit and smoke.
        USP is a one shot kill to no helmet and is better than a glock. Nade utility or survivability is preferable to upgrading your pistol. Especially if you are playing as 5, or with some mates.
        These days kits are less useful, but probably still worth it to have one. Good luck finding somebody on MM to do that.
      • - Standard: Kevlar
        The best way to play with the USP is from far long range. With kevlar it takes around 10 body shots to kill you, and vitally for the USP, mitigates aim punch, giving you the time to hit that one-tap.
      • - Help I can’t hit headshots??: P250, Smoke, Flash
        P250 decent armor pen unlike the USP, meaning you can dick shot incoming rushing glocks to your heart’s content.

Deagle and dualies is mostly trolling. 5-7 is a marginal, probably redundant and worse than having another nade, but maybe in the right position better.

T:
      • - Standard: Kevlar
        Your glock is a pile of poo poo at taking aim duels. Your mission is to soak up bullets and overwhelm enemies without getting one to the dome. I buy something other than kevlar literally never unless I am playing with five and there is a set pistol strat that needs nades.
      • - Bonus Raidboss: Kevlar, dropped Tec-9
        Got a good player on your team who owns bones? Drop them a Tec-9 (or get one dropped for you). Combined with kevlar, the running accuracy makes the Tec and kevlar a disgusting combo. This person spearheads your rush usually by jumping and headshotting the CT’s and making GBS threads over game balance.
        Person who drops Tec gets a smoke or flash.
      • - Weird idiot with need to be different: Tec-9, smoke
        Maybe the best of the rest. Kevlar is just so important that it is hardly worth it.

Second Round

CT:
      • Win Pistol Round
      • Did T’s plant the bomb?
      • Yes: Mix of decent SMGs and FAMAS and nades.
        You may want to spend more on premium weapons because it is likely the Ts will pick up AKs next round or even force that round. Keeping these weapons makes it more competitive and saves you money compared to buying an MP9 then buying an M4 the next round.
      • No: Probably more efficient to pick up only SMGs.
        To farm cash for your economy, you want as many SMG kills as possible. Also it is important to bear in mind that if you buy a premium rifle, losing it into T hands can dismantle your round. Losing an SMG is not nearly such a disaster. SMGs lower your risk of throwing the round away.

• Lose Pistol Round
      • Map dependent. On a heavily CT biased map, it is almost always better to force up. Helmet + P250 or 5/7 + Flash, depending on whether you scored a kill. A scout if you have the position for it.
      • On a balanced map, it depends on your confidence. If you think you are better than your opponent, by all means. If you think they are better or it is close, it is probably worth it to save for a full buy on the 4th round. Naked P250 is fine

T:
      • Win Pistol Round
        Bomb down or not doesn’t really matter.

- SMGs of any kind. Don’t force the issue with an AK. Galil is “ok”.

Personally I believe buying a rifle is unnecessary and can give away your round if you happen to die to a pistol. A CT with a galil and helmet vs your team of Mac-10s/UMPs is suddenly quite scary. Mac-10 not so much.

• Lose Pistol Round
      • No bomb plant.
        - Helmet & Tec-9

This is where buying kevlar pays dividends, because if you buy all nades you can’t force up like this if you lose. You do this pretty much no matter what, because it is so effective, and a full buy up as T is cheaper than it is for CT.
        The only exception is if you main the AWP, in which case Tec-9 without helmet is OK.
      • Bomb plant
        - Full eco, perhaps a flash or P250 if you want to just rush to get another plant.
        This is because you want to force up rifles one round early and have an equipment advantage over the CTs.
      • - Surprise force with SMGs, or Tec-9 with full nade utility.
        Sometimes this is worth it, but it is high risk/high reward. You are at a slight disadvantage equipment wise. Ecoing for a full buy is the safer option, but many opponents are not expecting to face SMGs after winning the pistol.

Daeno posted:

Warning! Effort post approaches!
      General buying rules of thumb:
      • As a CT, do not have less than $1900 after buying on the third round. This is the minimum to buy up an M4, kevlar, and a smoke/flash.
      • If by the 5th round you have not had one single full weapon round, you hosed up bad.
      • It is acceptable to skip helmet as CT for more grenades against what should be a full buy, but if you have the money, you should always get one.
      • It is much much more acceptable to force a bad buy if your opponent wins one round after a string of lost rounds. This is because it is crippling to their economy and they are unlikely to be able to have a proper buy themselves. This applies mostly as Ts against CTs.
      • When in doubt, assume Ts can scrounge together a buy round.
      • Try to follow the majority decision. If 3 people force, don’t hold out on principle’s sake or you will end up in a situation with a money mismatch which will break you pretty fast.
      • LOOK AT YOUR TEAMMATES’ MONEY BEFORE YOU BUY

NORMAL MID GAME & LATE GAME ROUNDS
      • NEVER BUY ANYTHING IN THESE ROUNDS WITHOUT LOOKING AT YOUR TEAM'S MONEY FIRST
      • Full Money buys: Typically you see 3 weapons, AK, M4/M4A1-S, and AWP. This is because the 2 main rifles have the best value for their cost for each side, as far as accuracy, shooting power, etc. And the AWP of course for it's one shot one kill power. Most other purchases are considered gimmicks, but some players really feel better with an AUG, or like to use an autosniper for example. The bad part about relying on vanity weapons is that they are more expensive, if you are spending another 500 or 1000$ on a rifle that you feel more in tune with, in the long game you'll have a round or two where you can't afford a rifle, because of that AUG or SIG(lol) purchase you made earlier in the game. This is why I always buy an AK or M4A1-S, simply the best bang for your buck, and you'll have more money in the future.

As for the AWP, since it costs almost double than a typical rifle, be mindful of your money when you purchase it, as powerful as it is, it could leave you broke next round, when your teammates are full buying and you have to get a pistol+armour just to keep up.
      • Half buys/Watch your team: Usually if one player on your team has a massive amount of money and other players are broke, he/she should be buying weapons for teammates, but when you can't buy out for all teammates, or if a couple teammates saved weapons from last round, you should communicate as a team and decide if some players should force buy a pistol + armour, or galil/famas + armour. Knowing when to do this is tricky, but becomes more clear with experience.
      • Eco Rounds:Rounds where almost all of you are broke. Similar to starting round 2, but usually you have more money to play with. If you are CT side, make sure at least 1 player on each bombsite has bought a kit. Always Always Always at least buy a P250. If you get the jump on someone with a P250, you should be able to kill them, thus earning you a free gun. Mix in some grenades if you can afford them and still full buy next round.
      • Grenades: Grenades are essential and you should be forcing yourself to buy them and use them, even if you are terrible with them, as you will get better with time. Just don't blind your teammates. Smoke grenades are amazing in CS:GO, especially compared to the smokes in source and 1.6. Two smoke grenades thrown by 2 players defending a bombsite can lock it down for most of the round. Similarly, smoke grenades thrown by attacking players can section off parts of bombsites, making them much much easier to take. For example, smoking off CT spawn when taking A site from Long A on dust 2 makes life much easier for T's, as you won't get sniped from there, and pushing the remaining players in A site is way easier.

Flash grenades are also must-buys, and knowing when/where to use them is somewhat of an art. There are many video guides on youtube on where best to use them, as well as other grenades, so I would look up those for references, watching better players use them on GO TV or spectating in a Goonman helps too. Force yourself to use them when taking sites, defending after the enemy has flashed, etc. You will get better.

As for HE, Decoy and Fire Grenades, they aren't as good. HE grenades are almost as good as Flash and Smoke, but their use is sometimes map dependent. Decoy grenades are cute, and distracting, but most good players won't be fooled. Molotov/Fire Grenades are pretty much a more expensive smoke grenade, locking down an area for a period of time.

Hope that helps a little with knowing what and when to purchase things. Communication is key, your money is not your own, treat it as a pool of team money and always buy at least a P250.

• The pistol round is also very important
      The pistol round is the first round of every half in a competitive game. Both teams have very little money and the outcome of it sets the inertia that can last the rest of the half. It is very important! Because everyone has very little money and the outcome is so important, how you spend those precious few bucks can become a deciding factor later on. Here are some tips:

• Never save on the pistol round. You want as much of an edge in this round as possible and should always spend as much as you can.
    • No one can afford a helmet. Because of this you shouldn't worry about buying either the desert eagle or p250, as they will have a very limited advantage here.
    • If you're CT, make sure one or more people on your team have a defuse kit, as bomb plants are very common in the pistol round and you'll definitely need it.
    • You'll find a personal preference on either buying grenades or a vest. What's important is that you choose one or the other AND YOU DO NOT SAVE.

• Grenades are extremely effective
      One of the best signs of a very good player is effective grenade usage. A well placed smoke grenade or flash bang can completely turn the tide of a round and should never be underestimated. It'd be difficult to go into full detail on proper grenade usage here, as there is a lot to it, but when you're playing you should keep an eye on how better players use them. You'll see some really clever strategies.

As for a quick run-down though, keep this in mind:

• It is significantly easier to see INTO smoke than it is seeing OUT of smoke. This makes smoke grenades great defensive tools as you'll be able to see an enemy a few precious moments before he can see you. This is also why YOU DO NOT RUN THROUGH SMOKEuntil you know you can
    • Flashbangs can be tossed *over* walls and buildings. Also their effect is based on both distance from detonation and whether or not it detonates within line of sight. This means its possible to chase a flash into a room while running backwards. The flash will detonate at your back, only blinding you slightly while everyone in the room will be more impacted. Obviously watch someone else do this before you try this at home.
    • Frag grenades are best used as a 'parting shot' tossed into an area where you know a wounded enemy is.
    • Be very careful when throwing any grenade. It takes time to switch back to your weapon so getting caught in the open with a grenade in hand is a death sentence. The only reason a grenade should be equipped is if you are about to throw it AND you have an escape plan (nearby cover) should an enemy poke out right when you pull that pin.
    • Here are a bunch of good nade spots

• If you are defending, defend
      If you are defending a position, just because you aren't killing people RIGHT NOW does not mean you aren't helping. One of the hardest things many new players have is getting over deathmatch habits drilled into you from so many other games. While fast paced, there are often extended periods of tense waiting, where patience is key. Once you're more familiar with the game you'll learn when it's okay to push, or when you should abandon your position and fall back. In the beginning though, just hold.

• If you are attacking, stick with your team
      If you're new, you're going to need the assistance of your team. Going lone wolf will almost certainly result in you getting killed, contributing little to nothing. Stay with your team, and pay attention to any calls your captain makes. If he tells the team to fall back, it means fall back NOW, not 'just wrap up whatever it is you're doing we can wait don't worry'. If he says to push, you push NOW. Well coordinated teams will beat individual star-players any day.

• At any given time, ask yourself 'how can I be helping RIGHT NOW'
      This one is a bit more difficult for new players, but it's probably the most important. One of the best fundamental strategies in this game is outnumbering your opponent in a gun battle. By doing this, your opponents will have too many targets to fire at, while your team's fire will be concentrated. If you see a teammate run around a corner and begin fighting, you should be immediately running out to help. If there is only one enemy around the corner, he now has two targets to kill in the time it takes those two targets to take one of him out. Pretty solid advantage huh?

• If you are dead, do not use the mic
      Hearing faint and subtle sounds is often times very important in this game, and I've seen many rounds lost because a player couldn't hear over his dead teammate blabbing away. Socialize using the keyboard when you're dead. Also, DO NOT GIVE COMMANDS WHILE YOU'RE DEAD. There's nothing more frustrating to veteran players than being deafened with bad advice by a bottom-fragger when he's trying to concentrate. Shut up. Shut up shut up shut up shut up.

Sound is very important!

thanks, jerkstoresup!
Basic Vocabulary
  • Save or Eco
      This means your team is hurting financially, and needs to sacrifice a round in order to get back up to fighting shape. Saves need to by coordinated with the team so that everyone will sacrifice a round at the same time, so that everyone will be up to fighting strength at the same time. This is very important, as a team that consistently has one or two team members saving individually each round will result in being consistently outgunned. No good! If you hear a team member tell you to save, it means do not buy anything for that round!

This can also mean throwing the match that's already in progress, in order to keep the loadout you have between rounds. The best way to do this is to find out where the enemies are and run and hide in the opposite direction. When to do this will be difficult to judge for beginners, your captain will probably make the call for you.

• Anti-Eco
      Modifying what your team purchases when you know the other team is saving, usually after they lose the pistol round. This usually means buying sub-machine guns in lieu of rifles for two reasons: sub-machine guns are extremely effective against unarmored targets, arguably more effective than rifles, and if you get killed, the other team gets a gun which is ineffective against your armored teammates.
  • Buy-out
      It is the last round of the half or match, and saving will not be beneficial as any money at the end of the round will be lost. Everyone buys to their fullest potential. That Negev is looking pretty sexy huh? No, don't feel bad for buying it. Go ahead, it's alright. This is where it's ok to be reckless with your money.
  • Rush
      A coordinated push for the entire team, aiming to overwhelm a few outnumbered defenders. This is not the time to have second thoughts about your mortality, get in there!
  • Pick, Picking, or Going for picks
      A slow and surgical advance, where the team will slowly feel for any holes in the defense and rush through it, or will create a hole itself by a player quickly popping out and taking out a defender.
  • Split
      Split up the team and attack an area from multiple locations. The strategy makes it harder for enemies to defend since the targets are spread out.
  • Rotate (offense)
      Either the defense is putting up too much resistance or a teammate has cleared out the other site. If you hear rotate it means you should be heading to the site called out, usually through alleys thought to be most likely safe. Get there ASAP and set up a defense.
  • Rotate (defense)
      The player calling is either sure the bomb is heading into their site or the site has already been taken. You need to get to the site as soon as possible to help your team retake the site and secure the bomb.
  • Lurk
      Camping an area you know the enemy will be moving through soon in order to ambush them. You should avoid doing this if you're new but you should always be paranoid when moving between sites. This is also why accurately calling out enemy movements/numbers when you're killed. If your teammates know that all the enemies are in the A site, then anyone rotating from B will be able to move much more quickly. Alternatively, if they know there are one or two guys out there unaccounted for, it will be much more difficult to catch them by surprise.
  • Bomb Down
      A teammate has killed the bomber and secured the bomb. Whatever you are doing can be dropped as you head to the bomb and help your team defend it until the timer expires.
  • Wallbang or Walling
      Shooting at targets through a wall.

All of these rules and basic strategies are subject to exceptions and nuances, which you will learn as you play. The best way to learn these are to play against/observe/talk to people who are better than you.

Tech-FAQ:
  • I keep hanging up while loading maps, it says 'initializing world' and nothing happens?
      For anyone having workshop map downloading issues (where it just hangs at UGC Download 0.00000000000000 forever) try deleting anything in your steamapps/common/Counter-Strike Global Offensive/csgo/cache folder.
  • How do I keep the rest of my computer's sounds from decreasing when I join a match?
      This happens because CS:GO is considered a "communications activity" by Windows, which tries to decrease the sound so you can hear your dumb team mates. Go to the Sound control panel in Windows, click the "Communications" tab, and set it to "Do Nothing" to fix it.
    When I use matchmaking, I get stuck in a server with >100 ping!
      Go in console and type mm_session_max_ping 100 (or whatever your preferred max ping is). If you're in Australia or somewhere with few servers, this may just lead to you not finding a game, but for the civilized world it should keep you from getting matched with servers on the other side of either ocean.
  • Why is my FPS capped to 30/60 instead of my fps_max setting?
      You either have VSync on in the game graphical options or in your graphics card's control panel.
  • Why does my mouse movement feel sluggish/inaccurate?
      A few possible reasons:
      • For "sluggishness" or mouse lag, there's a good chance you have VSync enabled, either in game or in your graphics card settings. Turn it off and see if that helps.
      • Your mouse may be using Windows' built-in mouse acceleration. Use the "raw input" mode in mouse settings and see if that helps.
  • Put this in your autoexec.cfg
      cl_interp 0
      cl_interp_ratio 1
      rate 128000
      cl_cmdrate 128
      cl_updaterate 128
      cl_allowdownload 1
      cl_downloadfilter 0
      ds_get_newest_subscribed_files

// buy binds
      bind f1 "buy p250"
      bind f2 "buy p90"
      bind f3 "buy famas; buy galilar"
      bind f4 "buy m4a1; buy ak47"
      bind f5 "buy awp"
      bind f6 "buy flashbang"
      bind f7 "buy smokegrenade"
      bind f8 "buy hegrenade"
      bind f9 "buy molotov; buy incgrenade"
      bind f10 "buy vest"
      bind f11 "buy vesthelm"
      bind f12 "buy defuser"

• Wait, I can change my crosshairs?
      Yes! Please do not use the default crosshair!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDMH7CSdiAE

• I have no idea what all these console commands are

• When does GO become fun?
      ... fun? :confused:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

quote:

"I will sweep away everything in all your land," says Lord Negev. "I will sweep away both terrorists and counter-terrorists alike. Even the chickens of cs_italy and the fish in de_inferno will die. I will reduce the wicked to heaps of rubble, along with the rest of humanity," says Negev. "I will crush de_nuke and de_dust2 with my fist and destroy every last trace of their competitive worship. I will put an end to all the idolatrous pros, so that even the memory of them will disappear. For they go up to their scripts and buy the AK, M4, and AWP. They claim to follow the One Lord Negev, but then they worship Rifles, too. So now I will destroy them! And I will destroy those who used to worship me but now no longer do. They no longer ask for Lord Negev's guidance or seek my blessings."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISTzWUjgj9U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU8z-vyasXQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ4lo95uwps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFC0LHP9KrQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWsnWCKVBP4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fev_mMBt2Ok
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtSSgGXQXqU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJiQhXq_aGM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIXFR5Mh7gM

Necc0 fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Nice OP, what's your sens?

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

as of 8/2/2016:
144hz monitors to buy are the benq XL2411Z and the asus VG248QE

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Photex posted:

I don't even know anymore

DONT DO IT
Jun 5, 2008

this level will be fun guys
I played CS:GO once. It was OK.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

ground floor

what sensitivity should i be using

rates?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Photex posted:

The first loving post, god dammit.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

new thread new sensitivity

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I hate CSGO and everyone who plays it.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

symbolic posted:

The first loving post, god dammit.

:firstpost:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Gadamer posted:

new thread new sensitivity

I like this one a lot more

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Photex posted:

1.3@500

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im bad at this and I'm on call for a w hole week every few weeks so I never feel like learning because ill just forget everything after not being able to play for a week

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i guess that week i could play deathmatch tho? idk

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
We should all use goon steam chat again

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
please add this vital graph to the OP thanks

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Counter strike sucks. Should have shut down the thread

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Bohemian Nights posted:

gently caress.

RiperSnifler
Aug 19, 2005
Well shit
Pro tip: forget competitive matchmaking and play custom maps with at least 12 v 12.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
aaa

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
What mouse ya'll usin

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Xenaero posted:

What mouse ya'll usin

Sensei RAW

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Nitr0 posted:

not sens chat ban this sick filth

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Bohemian Nights posted:

My diagram is an Ouroboros with just the red part. :smith:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Xenaero posted:

What mouse ya'll usin
$20 Anker Gaming

If it works, it works.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Xenaero posted:

What mouse ya'll usin
Logitech G502

symbolic posted:

My diagram is an Ouroboros with just the red part. :smith:
More like 24/7 despair

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
first page fart

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
I see the best keyboard layout ever is still missing from the OP.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Fetaldave is a goddamn legend

stump collector fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 9, 2016

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Re: goonmans, is it only a few of us that get huge performance decay 'because of the plugin'? If it is, what did the rest of you do to make it better?I like goonmans obviously for the positive vibes and friendly atmosphere but halfway through a match I get dips into the 20fps area when anyone fires a gun.

Is this something I can change clientside?

e: VV thanks, will try this.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 9, 2016

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

VelociBacon posted:

Re: goonmans, is it only a few of us that get huge performance decay 'because of the plugin'? If it is, what did the rest of you do to make it better?I like goonmans obviously for the positive vibes and friendly atmosphere but halfway through a match I get dips into the 20fps area when anyone fires a gun.

Is this something I can change clientside?

Join directly by using the ip in console rather than from the server browser

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Nitr0 posted:

looking forward to c u and Liquid own with Ukrainian sensation s1mple in 2016 :) glgl

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

All the gold that was posted in the last thread. The thread title. I'm very disappointed.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Is that the same Nitro?

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Game is fun. The shooting while standing still part is a bit tricky to get used to but it's fun.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

canoshiz posted:

Is that the same Nitro?
I highly doubt that is Nick Cannella, considering he would have been all of 9 when that SA account was created.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Necc0 posted:

Click banner for Official Thread Soundtrack

Old Threads:
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive - The re-remake!
Dust. Dust never - wait, they did what?
Pretty p90 for a Fabulous Famas?
Chicken Changes Based on Pro Feedback
More pretty flowers added to compensate
meet de_dust2 boss, same as de_dust boss

Brokers:
  • Captain Invictus - Will buy your rare items for actual irl cash, not just Steambux. He will take a cut since he's taking the risk on the actual sale but with how many goons have been ripped off in this and previous threads it's worth it.

Goon Servers! :fiesta:
  • Buttman Brigade - This server is mostly used for GoonPugs, which are crazy fun and you should definitely join us. Props to astr0man for coding the plugin and Fat Lou & Prostidude for running the server.
  • sub.io - Another GoonPug server run by whoknew. I think this server's version of GoonPug is slightly different or something idk I've stopped paying attention to who's developed what.
  • Counter-Strike 1.6 - Vanilla [FastDL] [1337 FPS] - A 1.6 server run by Mandator. Go here whenever Valve adds anoTHE RBULLSHIT gently caress-GARBAGE UPDATE UGGH

Steam Group - Join the chat room to request an invite, join in on GoonPug/matchmaking fun, or some random pub stomping when we're feeling sassy. ;-*

What is Counter-Strike
This ain't your brosef's FPS! CS:GO is the most recent installment of the Counter-Strike series, one of the longest running and most successful FPS games of all time. CS:GO is known for being extremely fast-paced, competitive, and unforgiving. To be decent players must have a very well-honed situational awareness, tight aim, and the ability to communicate with their teammates telepathically. The series has been going strong for over a decade now, testament to both the game's solid foundation and robust community.

For the lost sheep who are returning to the flock from 1.6 or Source, you'll find that CS:GO is the same in all the ways that matter but also with a bunch of additions that add tons of value to the game. The community workshop is now integrated into the map system so developers can push updates globally without having to rely on the frustrating _b1, _b2, _final, _finalFORREALTHISTIME crap. TF2-esque cosmetic weapon drops have been added, some of which go to supporting the competitive community. There are a few new weapons/grenades while the TMP and MP5 have been retired rip. Finally there is now a competitive ranked matchmaking system which actually functions fairly well.

For new players: Counter-Strike is the Real poo poo™. If you enjoy the FPS genre while feeling that the CoDs or Battlefields just aren't scratching that itch right because *something* is missing, CS:GO is probably for you. This is a mostlyno-frills game that relies on rewarding and engaging gameplay to hook players rather than convoluted XP systems, yearly releases, or pay-to-win 'expansion' packs lol who the gently caress am i kidding. Your access to better weapons depends solely on your team's performance in the current game. Your 'skills' are only unlocked by yourself when you put in the effort to talk to/observe/play against better players and decide that you want to be better. Because of this, CS:GO can be an extremely rewarding as its high skill ceiling/steep difficulty curve makes those glorious hero-moments that much sweeter.

But don't take my word for it!

What's new?

For those of you returning from CS 1.6 or Source, all you need to do is get used to the new spray patterns and you'll be right at home. Here's a brief list of changes:
  • Pistols : The pistol game has been shaken up and they're noticeably more effective across the board. Eco rounds are much more dynamic due to this and has led to new meta-strategies. More on that later. Oh and now there's a loving revolver. I'm not making this up.
  • Shotguns : Two new shotguns have been added. Shotguns are also slightly buffed and you actually see them used rarely at upper levels of play.
  • SMGs : Valve fiddled with these for a long time and it seems like they've finally settled down. These are roughly unchanged but the MP5 has been replaced with the MP7 and the TMP has been removed altogether.
  • Rifles : The AUG & Sig 553 have received slight buffs and are seen occasionally at comp level play. The AWP has been tweaked and may take a bit of getting used to but it's still just as deadly as before. The scout is slightly more effective and is also seen occasionally at upper levels of play.
  • Machine Guns : lol
  • Equipment : Two new grenades have been added, the decoy and the molotov/firebomb. The decoy is best used as a fake flashbang but you'll see bad players attempt brilliant NEXT LEVEL STRATZ with them all the time. The moltov can add a very interesting dynamic to tense situations when used properly and you should definitely look into them.
  • Taser : PFFFFFRRRRRNNNNNN

There's also been an addition of new gamemodes which before has always been the responsibility of the mod community to implement. If you're posting in this thread or even playing this game in general everyone is going to assume you're playing competitive. That is what most people come for and if you're not playing comp... man you really gotta try it. It's a ton of fun:
  • Deathmatch :madmax:
      Great for new players and veterans alike. Simply choose your weapons and go kill things until you don't feel like it anymore. This is a great mode for getting accustomed with new maps, learning how different guns operate, or warming up a bit before you jump into a competitive match.
  • Arms Race :jihad:
      A streamlined implementation of the classic arms race mod from previous games. You start with a weapon and advance a level every time you get a kill. The first player to get a kill with the golden knife (the last level) wins the round. This is also a very good game mode for beginners, as you'll quickly learn the faster and more basic gameplay mechanics here due to how rapidly you go from dying to jumping right back into the fray, while still being forced to think somewhat tactically by being forced to use certain weapons.

• Demolition :happyelf:
      A sort of hybrid between a condensed and streamlined version of classic counter-strike and a simplified arms race. Both teams have a ladder of weapons to advance up, while the game is still divided into rounds that are won by either eliminating the other team or detonating/defusing the bomb. Good for intermediate players who want to get more accustomed to the larger game mechanics but not wanting to dive into a full competitive game just yet.
  • Casual :baby:
      A good mode for beginner and intermediate players who are interested in getting into competitive play but don't want to be yelled at for not knowing the finer details just yet. The teams are larger, allowing you to blend in and be terrible without being noticed. There's also less emphasis on economic planning as everyone is automatically given armor and a helmet while the CTs also get defuse kits.
  • Competitive
      This is what most people think of when they think counter-strike. CS:GO features a ranked matchmaking system allowing you to team up with your fellow goons and compete against a team of similar skill. While the ranking system allows players of all skill levels to enjoy this mode, you should try to only enter lobbies with players who are a similar rank to you. If you're a new player, entering a lobby with veterans will probably result in you playing against veterans, and you won't have a very good time, although you'll definitely learn quickly. Same goes if you're a veteran with a new player; you'll often find yourself having to pick up the slack or losing rounds despite doing well yourself.

Matchmaking FAQ:
    • I'm scared. I- I think I'll stick with casual :ohdear: : Competitive can seen really intimidating at first and honestly in all likelihood you'll be retrieved with a squeegee after your first match. However as you get used to the format you'll quickly find it's the only way to play. More tips for beginners are below.
    • Why can I only get two wins a day : This is an anti-smurf measure. It's not very effective but it's all we've got. Don't worry it won't take too long to get those wins.
    • I'm at $rank and it's bullshit I'm definitely better : No you're not. It's probably a weekly occurance where someone comes into the thread talking about how the ranking system is BS and they're totally better guys, really. Once we review the poster's demos it's clear that no- they absolutely belong at exactly their rank. So lesson #1: The first step to getting better is admitting that you're terrible.
    • How do I rank up : Win more games than you lose. That's all there is to it. There are tons of people out there who are convinced they've cracked Valve's secret algorithm to determining ranks but all it comes down to is win/loss ratio. If you are good enough to consistently swing the game in your favor, you WILL rank up. Period. If you can't consistently do this, you will not rank up. Period.
    • Wait... if you have to be that good to rank up just once then that means the skill gap between the bottom and top is... :stare: : Yup. Welcome to Counter-Strike.
    • How do I get out of silvers : Keep focusing on the fundamentals laid out later in this guide. Being just half-good at even one of the categories will bottle-rocket you out of the silver ranks. Trust us. We've watched newbies do it a thousand times.
    • How do I get out of novas : Put briefly - 'stop being dumb.' Do you regularly tell yourself 'agh that was a dumb move' after getting killed? Start trying to predict what those dumb moves will be BEFORE you make them. Most novas excel once they learn to be patient and pick their battles. Play to win the round, not to score frags.
    • How do I get out of the guardians : You need to get better in all categories. Your sprays have to be tighter, your predictions more accurate, your grenades more effective. At this level you really need to start depending on your teammates and supporting them. Lone-wolfing will rapidly become less effective here.
    • Eagle and up : Time. Straight up the only thing that will get you to this rank and higher is lots of time and preferably a team you can rely on. The differences at these ranks are very subtle and only come with lots of experience. If you're new to counter-strike you will not attain this rank for at least a year and tons of hours, and that's being VERY generous. Most people at these ranks have been playing for over a decade. Again, welcome to Counter-Strike.

And that's what the game has to offer out-of-the-box!

But there's also a sixth game-type...

• GOONPUGS :pcgaming:
      A mod developed by our very own astr0man. This gamemode has 10 goons elect two team captains, who then pick teams. Once teams have been picked, they'll be pitted against each other in a match using the competitive rules with a few small modifications. Players of all skill levels are welcome!
:haw: Sounds great! How do I get involved? :haw: - Ask for an invite to our steam group(s) here in the thread and someone will invite you. We used to idle in the chatroom but no one does that anymore. This section has been deliberately left blank. If it’s still blank by the time you’ve read this, then no one has given me a better way to join the group to put in this spot. Deal with it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I heard you guys are mean to newbies :saddowns:
    Extremely! This is mostly due to the competitive nature and speed of the game. Typically when info is given to the team, we expect results almost immediately. There's no time to dilly-daddle here! So unfortunately, yes, no matter what you are going to be yelled at, it can't be helped. Fortunately you can minimize the abuse you receive by learning a bit by following some of these rules!

• TELL US IMMEDIATELY AND IN NO UNCERTAIN TERMS THAT YOU ARE NEW and even more importantly IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT WE'RE SAYING, TELL US YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND
      Many complex or detailed things are often times reduced down to single words out of necessity due to the high speed nature of this game. I'll be going over the more common topics, but please don't be afraid to ask your captain what you should be doing if you're in doubt.

• You actually have to aim
      If you're coming from a game more oriented towards consoles like Call of Duty or Halo, you're going to have to break a lot of bad habits when it comes to gun play. The most effective weapons in this game require a finesse that controllers simply can't provide. While you're first getting accustomed to the game, always always fight the urge to lay on the trigger. Do not spray. Ever. Fire a small burst, regain your aim, then fire another. There are more advanced strategies that will allow you to get even better later, but for now, always fire in bursts.

Once you're comfortable with firing without spraying... you should go back to spraying! However spraying in this game isn't like any other FPSs. Here's a great writeup on it by our buddy Slime: CS:GO Recoil Mechanics

Another important thing to keep in mind is that firefights are often extremely fast in this game, oftentimes over before you even know it's happening. Very small slivers of time can end up making a big difference in a firefight, so it's important to be efficient as possible at all times. The #1 rookie mistake in CS:GO is players keeping their crosshairs in the ground, ready to pull up whenever an enemy appears. This is incorrect. I understand that keeping the crosshairs down allows you to see better, but not only does it take time to pull the crosshair up (bad), its also a large distance to cover in a short amount of time which will cause you to be much less accurate once you do finally reach the enemies head. Also, if your opponent is aiming properly, i.e. keeping his crosshair where he expects YOUR head to be, you'll likely be dead before you can even squeeze a shot off. Keep your crosshairs up!

Also: DONT CROUCH! Well, you can, but it's like spraying. It may improve your aim but it will place your head into your center of mass (bad) and also immobilize you (very bad) Break the habit first and play without it entirely. Once you can play without it you can bring it back in. This is easily the most common newbie mistake that we see.

• Your mouse sensitivity is almost definitely too high
      If you're playing with a competent team and you know the map the great majority of enemies should be appearing inside your field of view if not very close or already under your crosshair. Because of this you gain much more by having a low sensitivity, improving your aim in these scenarios, than having a high sensitivity which allows you to respond to being flanked. If this advice seems wrong to you because you're being flanked often enough that keeping a higher sensitivity makes sense, your primary concern should be improving your situational awareness and tactics as that will have a way larger impact on your overall skill. Some goons, including myself, argue that lowering your sensitivity FORCES you to keep your crosshair up and use proper positioning, as you can no longer use insane twitch shooting as a crutch to prop up lazy playing.

Generally you want it to take over ten inches to turn 360 degrees. Yes you read that correctly. Yes your sensitivity is WAY too high.

Also be sure to select 'Use Raw Input' in the options. Most operating systems have mouse acceleration turned on by default which will screw with your aim. Having a 1-1 interpretation of your movements is significantly better.

Use this tool to find out what your 360/sensitivity is: http://www.notalent.org/sensitivity/sensitivity.htm

This is what good crosshair placement looks like:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j45QQadF6fE
      Basically any time you start to feel like you're getting good just come back to this to remind yourself that you're actually a literal baby mashing a keyboard.

• Learn the maps and how to call out locations
      A lot of this game revolves around knowing where exactly the enemy is. Learning the names of all the locations on maps will let you communicate much more effectively with your team. Failure to communicate enemy players locations can cause your team to react to situations too slowly, but miscommunications can lead to disasters. For an example of what a disaster looks like, watch minineo shoot me in the back of the head after I fail to hear his location called out by a teammate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Weybw27aMPE
      There are a ton of mistakes made by the T team in this video, see if you can spot them all!

• There is an economy and it's very important
      There were some words here but Jeza’s & Daeno’s are better:

• The pistol round is also very important
      The pistol round is the first round of every half in a competitive game. Both teams have very little money and the outcome of it sets the inertia that can last the rest of the half. It is very important! Because everyone has very little money and the outcome is so important, how you spend those precious few bucks can become a deciding factor later on. Here are some tips:

• Never save on the pistol round. You want as much of an edge in this round as possible and should always spend as much as you can.
    • No one can afford a helmet. Because of this you shouldn't worry about buying either the desert eagle or p250, as they will have a very limited advantage here.
    • If you're CT, make sure one or more people on your team have a defuse kit, as bomb plants are very common in the pistol round and you'll definitely need it.
    • You'll find a personal preference on either buying grenades or a vest. What's important is that you choose one or the other AND YOU DO NOT SAVE.

• Grenades are extremely effective
      One of the best signs of a very good player is effective grenade usage. A well placed smoke grenade or flash bang can completely turn the tide of a round and should never be underestimated. It'd be difficult to go into full detail on proper grenade usage here, as there is a lot to it, but when you're playing you should keep an eye on how better players use them. You'll see some really clever strategies.

As for a quick run-down though, keep this in mind:

• It is significantly easier to see INTO smoke than it is seeing OUT of smoke. This makes smoke grenades great defensive tools as you'll be able to see an enemy a few precious moments before he can see you. This is also why YOU DO NOT RUN THROUGH SMOKEuntil you know you can
    • Flashbangs can be tossed *over* walls and buildings. Also their effect is based on both distance from detonation and whether or not it detonates within line of sight. This means its possible to chase a flash into a room while running backwards. The flash will detonate at your back, only blinding you slightly while everyone in the room will be more impacted. Obviously watch someone else do this before you try this at home.
    • Frag grenades are best used as a 'parting shot' tossed into an area where you know a wounded enemy is.
    • Be very careful when throwing any grenade. It takes time to switch back to your weapon so getting caught in the open with a grenade in hand is a death sentence. The only reason a grenade should be equipped is if you are about to throw it AND you have an escape plan (nearby cover) should an enemy poke out right when you pull that pin.
    • Here are a bunch of good nade spots

• If you are defending, defend
      If you are defending a position, just because you aren't killing people RIGHT NOW does not mean you aren't helping. One of the hardest things many new players have is getting over deathmatch habits drilled into you from so many other games. While fast paced, there are often extended periods of tense waiting, where patience is key. Once you're more familiar with the game you'll learn when it's okay to push, or when you should abandon your position and fall back. In the beginning though, just hold.

• If you are attacking, stick with your team
      If you're new, you're going to need the assistance of your team. Going lone wolf will almost certainly result in you getting killed, contributing little to nothing. Stay with your team, and pay attention to any calls your captain makes. If he tells the team to fall back, it means fall back NOW, not 'just wrap up whatever it is you're doing we can wait don't worry'. If he says to push, you push NOW. Well coordinated teams will beat individual star-players any day.

• At any given time, ask yourself 'how can I be helping RIGHT NOW'
      This one is a bit more difficult for new players, but it's probably the most important. One of the best fundamental strategies in this game is outnumbering your opponent in a gun battle. By doing this, your opponents will have too many targets to fire at, while your team's fire will be concentrated. If you see a teammate run around a corner and begin fighting, you should be immediately running out to help. If there is only one enemy around the corner, he now has two targets to kill in the time it takes those two targets to take one of him out. Pretty solid advantage huh?

• If you are dead, do not use the mic
      Hearing faint and subtle sounds is often times very important in this game, and I've seen many rounds lost because a player couldn't hear over his dead teammate blabbing away. Socialize using the keyboard when you're dead. Also, DO NOT GIVE COMMANDS WHILE YOU'RE DEAD. There's nothing more frustrating to veteran players than being deafened with bad advice by a bottom-fragger when he's trying to concentrate. Shut up. Shut up shut up shut up shut up.

Sound is very important!

thanks, jerkstoresup!
Basic Vocabulary
  • Save or Eco
      This means your team is hurting financially, and needs to sacrifice a round in order to get back up to fighting shape. Saves need to by coordinated with the team so that everyone will sacrifice a round at the same time, so that everyone will be up to fighting strength at the same time. This is very important, as a team that consistently has one or two team members saving individually each round will result in being consistently outgunned. No good! If you hear a team member tell you to save, it means do not buy anything for that round!

This can also mean throwing the match that's already in progress, in order to keep the loadout you have between rounds. The best way to do this is to find out where the enemies are and run and hide in the opposite direction. When to do this will be difficult to judge for beginners, your captain will probably make the call for you.

• Anti-Eco
      Modifying what your team purchases when you know the other team is saving, usually after they lose the pistol round. This usually means buying sub-machine guns in lieu of rifles for two reasons: sub-machine guns are extremely effective against unarmored targets, arguably more effective than rifles, and if you get killed, the other team gets a gun which is ineffective against your armored teammates.
  • Buy-out
      It is the last round of the half or match, and saving will not be beneficial as any money at the end of the round will be lost. Everyone buys to their fullest potential. That Negev is looking pretty sexy huh? No, don't feel bad for buying it. Go ahead, it's alright. This is where it's ok to be reckless with your money.
  • Rush
      A coordinated push for the entire team, aiming to overwhelm a few outnumbered defenders. This is not the time to have second thoughts about your mortality, get in there!
  • Pick, Picking, or Going for picks
      A slow and surgical advance, where the team will slowly feel for any holes in the defense and rush through it, or will create a hole itself by a player quickly popping out and taking out a defender.
  • Split
      Split up the team and attack an area from multiple locations. The strategy makes it harder for enemies to defend since the targets are spread out.
  • Rotate (offense)
      Either the defense is putting up too much resistance or a teammate has cleared out the other site. If you hear rotate it means you should be heading to the site called out, usually through alleys thought to be most likely safe. Get there ASAP and set up a defense.
  • Rotate (defense)
      The player calling is either sure the bomb is heading into their site or the site has already been taken. You need to get to the site as soon as possible to help your team retake the site and secure the bomb.
  • Lurk
      Camping an area you know the enemy will be moving through soon in order to ambush them. You should avoid doing this if you're new but you should always be paranoid when moving between sites. This is also why accurately calling out enemy movements/numbers when you're killed. If your teammates know that all the enemies are in the A site, then anyone rotating from B will be able to move much more quickly. Alternatively, if they know there are one or two guys out there unaccounted for, it will be much more difficult to catch them by surprise.
  • Bomb Down
      A teammate has killed the bomber and secured the bomb. Whatever you are doing can be dropped as you head to the bomb and help your team defend it until the timer expires.
  • Wallbang or Walling
      Shooting at targets through a wall.

All of these rules and basic strategies are subject to exceptions and nuances, which you will learn as you play. The best way to learn these are to play against/observe/talk to people who are better than you.

Tech-FAQ:
  • I keep hanging up while loading maps, it says 'initializing world' and nothing happens?
      For anyone having workshop map downloading issues (where it just hangs at UGC Download 0.00000000000000 forever) try deleting anything in your steamapps/common/Counter-Strike Global Offensive/csgo/cache folder.
  • How do I keep the rest of my computer's sounds from decreasing when I join a match?
      This happens because CS:GO is considered a "communications activity" by Windows, which tries to decrease the sound so you can hear your dumb team mates. Go to the Sound control panel in Windows, click the "Communications" tab, and set it to "Do Nothing" to fix it.
    When I use matchmaking, I get stuck in a server with >100 ping!
      Go in console and type mm_session_max_ping 100 (or whatever your preferred max ping is). If you're in Australia or somewhere with few servers, this may just lead to you not finding a game, but for the civilized world it should keep you from getting matched with servers on the other side of either ocean.
  • Why is my FPS capped to 30/60 instead of my fps_max setting?
      You either have VSync on in the game graphical options or in your graphics card's control panel.
  • Why does my mouse movement feel sluggish/inaccurate?
      A few possible reasons:
      • For "sluggishness" or mouse lag, there's a good chance you have VSync enabled, either in game or in your graphics card settings. Turn it off and see if that helps.
      • Your mouse may be using Windows' built-in mouse acceleration. Use the "raw input" mode in mouse settings and see if that helps.
  • Put this in your autoexec.cfg
      cl_interp 0
      cl_interp_ratio 1
      rate 128000
      cl_cmdrate 128
      cl_updaterate 128
      cl_allowdownload 1
      cl_downloadfilter 0
      ds_get_newest_subscribed_files

// buy binds
      bind f1 "buy p250"
      bind f2 "buy p90"
      bind f3 "buy famas; buy galilar"
      bind f4 "buy m4a1; buy ak47"
      bind f5 "buy awp"
      bind f6 "buy flashbang"
      bind f7 "buy smokegrenade"
      bind f8 "buy hegrenade"
      bind f9 "buy molotov; buy incgrenade"
      bind f10 "buy vest"
      bind f11 "buy vesthelm"
      bind f12 "buy defuser"

• Wait, I can change my crosshairs?
      Yes! Please do not use the default crosshair!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDMH7CSdiAE

• I have no idea what all these console commands are

• When does GO become fun?
      ... fun? :confused:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISTzWUjgj9U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU8z-vyasXQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ4lo95uwps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFC0LHP9KrQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWsnWCKVBP4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fev_mMBt2Ok
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtSSgGXQXqU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJiQhXq_aGM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIXFR5Mh7gM

did not read

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)