Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

These would frustrate the gently caress out of me no lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I think the colour changing puzzles are kind of neat. And really pretty, but that's neither here nor there.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

Dzhay posted:

I think the colour changing puzzles are kind of neat. And really pretty, but that's neither here nor there.

I actually didn't mind the color-changing puzzles at all. I thought they were going to be ridiculous, but I kind of felt like they were easier than the previous floor's stuff.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Bruceski posted:

No hyperbole, since I quit on the previous floor this was my first time seeing those color puzzles, and when I did so I had to go throw up. Does it get worse from here?

No, there's nothing like that after the color ones.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Excellent! I finally caught up on the videos. For Bruceski, there's one or two more of those crazy color puzzles, but they're entirely optional and we won't see them for a while if at all.
For Pete and Amy, I just want to let you know that you are really going to cuss out Jonathon Blow when you see the puzzle on the other side of this level, and I really look forward to seeing how well you handle it.:cheeky:

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

whitehelm posted:

No, there's nothing like that after the color ones.

Nothing exactly the same, but there is still one set of puzzles before the end which can be bad for people with motion sickness. As always some people are fine with them, some people can't stand them at all.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Yeah, it's weird. The only games I've had trouble with were Myst: End of Ages (played it with a friend, and whichever of us wasn't steering got motion-sick), and then this game. Now that I know what to look out for I should be able to make it through the rest of the videos, it just caught me completely off guard.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Okay, everyone, part 30 is up now! It's shorter than our other parts, because... Well, you'll just have to watch it.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

That bridge puzzle took me a bit as well. I did actually expect more anger at the simultaneous puzzles, but good on you Amy for ploughing through them like a champ. Almost to the end now! Are you guys planning on ending the LP after you get the end, or will there be videos of you finding some of the other hidden fun stuff?

FInally, I can't believe you missed that environmental puzzle. You looked right at it several times.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Well, you were able to do it in less than an hour. It took me forever and at some point I somehow managed to get myself trapped on the far side of the bridge.

I like those editing effects.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
One of the most incredible things about The Witness is how, in these sequences of progressing puzzles, they so accurately predict how players will approach each step that they can give you a more or less freeform board and then, on the next puzzle in the sequence, present a complication that precisely breaks the solution you used on the preceding panel.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
That's one hell of a Fast Forward there.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Fedule posted:

One of the most incredible things about The Witness is how, in these sequences of progressing puzzles, they so accurately predict how players will approach each step that they can give you a more or less freeform board and then, on the next puzzle in the sequence, present a complication that precisely breaks the solution you used on the preceding panel.

That was definitely one of my favorite moments in the Witness. I mean the player may have already figured out that the game has already done this before in several occasions, but here they explicitly tell you that this is what they were going for.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I also think it's an interesting way of doing an extremely complicated puzzle like the boat door. That last puzzle is effectively one puzzle with all the previous ones overlaid and would be really intimidating if it was just one panel.

EllipsisBreak
Mar 1, 2015

Echophonic posted:

That last puzzle is effectively one puzzle with all the previous ones overlaid and would be really intimidating if it was just one panel.

It's actually not. Two of the panels have black and white rounded squares, and they only have to be separated from the opposing color on their own panel. One of the black squares is even in the same space as a white square in another panel. There's just no way to combine those.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

EllipsisBreak posted:

It's actually not. Two of the panels have black and white rounded squares, and they only have to be separated from the opposing color on their own panel. One of the black squares is even in the same space as a white square in another panel. There's just no way to combine those.

In an abstract sort of data-structure-y way there's actually nothing wrong with having multiple dimensions of black/white squares on a single grid.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Oh, I didn't notice they did it like that. I thought each one in that escalating sequence had a unique element.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I think what makes the bridge puzzle so difficult is that you've basically got to clear space for two solutions from one side since the ultimate solution ruins the bridge as a bridge. You've otherwise got a lot of space to work in.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Bridge puzzle was one of my favorites!

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
It's time for part 31! We're close now, guys... We've already recorded the next episode, so we're good to go!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Not sure how much you've recorded ahead but, a reassurance;

You will know when you have found The Challenge.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I was sure the guy named after jeans was going to be Claude Lévi-Strauss...

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I'm kind of amazed how much that step-up black dot puzzle stumped you.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I'm kind of amazed how much that step-up black dot puzzle stumped you.

I'm not; it's by far the hardest of that set of puzzles, and I'm pretty sure I've never seen a streamer not lose ten minutes plus to it. Even once you get good at spotting when you're cutting yourself off the correct solution is still pretty hard to find.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I say this as someone who is now watching blind, not as some *nudge nudge* thing. The panel under the guy in the Hell room had some cables leading to it. Did it turn on when you opened the double doors?

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
A lot of the difficulty of these puzzles isn't the actual puzzle icon mechanics, but the way you interact with them. You can't see the entire puzzle at once, which makes it much harder to visualise a solution. You've never had a puzzle that wraps around on itself, so working without the side boundaries is unfamiliar and separating colours and icons is a more awkward task. If there had been a set of panels that had this mechanic somehow, and you'd had the chance to get a good grasp of the wraparound mechanic, it'd be much less stressful. You can only find one pillar before this point, and it's hardly a tutorial.

The mountain is a pretty good final hurdle, a series of things you've never had to manage before, but using the same mechanics you've learned through the game, just presented in different (and sometimes unpleasant) ways to complicate things.

There isn't much left to do, obviously the Ship door which is not too bad, there is one more area you can find that will, if you push through it, give you more puzzle panels, more environment puzzles, a few more audiologs, some new shortcuts, and the Challenge. It's quite a bit of work to get there though, and I understand if you guys want to call it here, after these last pillars and then the other ending, which I think Peter already knows, or has some idea, of how to do. You've done really well with this.

Post above: Not yet. They've done everything they need to do for that except activate that cable, but they haven't found the switch yet.

TheDarkFlame fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 25, 2016

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow, they're really pulling out the stops. Suddenly things are just kind of opening up! Timed puzzles! Puzzles in puzzles! THREEEEEE DEEEEEE!

This can't all have just been the prelude.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

TheDarkFlame posted:

There isn't much left to do, obviously the Ship door which is not too bad, there is one more area you can find that will, if you push through it, give you more puzzle panels, more environment puzzles, a few more audiologs, some new shortcuts, and the Challenge. It's quite a bit of work to get there though, and I understand if you guys want to call it here, after these last pillars and then the other ending, which I think Peter already knows, or has some idea, of how to do. You've done really well with this.

They need to get in that final area to be able to get the other ending the "intended" way (without restarting or knowing about it in advance), and that's a better way to get it because the audio logs kind of set it up.

whitehelm fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 25, 2016

FishOnAPiano
Oct 9, 2012
Earlier in the LP I checked out your other videos and wound up watching all of the Skate 3 ones, so I got that reference!

TheDarkFlame posted:

You can't see the entire puzzle at once, which makes it much harder to visualise a solution
Yeah, that seemed far and away the worst part about that area at the end. I'd definitely be drawing those out if I were playing myself.

FishOnAPiano fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 25, 2016

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I know the moment I saw that those pillar puzzles wrapped into themselves, I would've gotten out some paper and just graphed it out, especially for the color separation and mirrored line pillar. That is some poo poo right there.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 32 is up now! We did it, guys! We got to the end, and then we started a new save to get to the other end!

We're going to do one more episode to finish off a few things, and then we'll move on. This has been one hell of a ride. And let's all give a hand to Amy for the amazing editing of part 32; there were some pretty hilarious parts toward the middle and end. :-D

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 27, 2016

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Okay. I'm gonna tell you the thing you missed now.

Load a previous save, and get back to the mountaintop. Now take another look around the box.

And then imagine the title of this video.

Oh yeah good job finishing the game!

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 27, 2016

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Well done finishing it up! Here's some stuff you should definitely check out in your final video. I'm not going to bother with total spoilers now since you've asked us to mention things to you, but I'll try and keep some parts vague enough. I guess I'll still spoiler it but it's still just stuff you asked us to suggest you check out.

-The black obelisks will tell you not only how many environmental puzzles are left to be found in an area, but also the general shape of the puzzle and the direction it's located away from the obelisk. So if you're standing and looking at a puzzle on the obelisk head-on, turn around 180 degrees and the puzzle is generally somewhere within your field of view. Note that it might still be underground or in a building, or even inside the mountain.
-Look for a pillar in the starting garden that looks a little different than the rest.
-Starting garden also has a bunch of environmental puzzles in and around it.
-The ship puzzle hides a video and the puzzle itself is crazy. Watch this video instead to learn the solution. This is the sort of puzzle that I know I didn't figure out and had to look up, I'd bet you all would have just as much trouble as most of the people playing the game would have with it.
-The final video is hidden behind THE CHALLENGE, but you probably won't get to the challenge in just one video's time. Additionally, the final video is, no joke, one hour long. This is alleviated by actually being fairly interesting to listen to in my opinion, but wouldn't really make for an interesting LP video since, you know, it's an hour long.
-Finally, once you've done everything you want to do outdoors, check the underside of the yellow box that got you into the mountain.

I'm sure there's more but this is already probably enough content to fill a final video, probably two or more honestly. I've really enjoyed the LP! It was a lot of fun watching the two of you discover mechanics and have those "ah-hah!" moments like I did when I played.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 27, 2016

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Why do people see the ship puzzle as exceptionally difficult? It's a combination of several rules you have to learn to turn on lasers.

Fp - You should spoiler that post.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 27, 2016

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Dominoes posted:

Why do people see the ship puzzle as exceptionally difficult? It's a combination of several rules you have to learn to turn on lasers.

Fp - You should spoiler that post.

It doesn't look especially hard. That video FPzero linked pretty much told me what I expected. But since I am totally tone deaf I'd have no how to execute that.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The puzzle is difficult because you have to first determine what it's asking of you. First, you have to realize you're dealing with an invisible symmetry puzzle. Then you have to realize it's a sound one. Additionally, the sound loop for the ship puzzle plays out over about 2-3 minutes, so good luck figuring out what the start point for it is. And lastly, it doesn't seem like the colors of the dots actually matter, which is another confusing aspect.

Put all of that together and you have a recipe for a very confusing puzzle whose solution is not necessarily very obvious.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

On top of FPzero's spoilers: There are actually two separate sound loops, and the colors sort of do matter in that each one is tied to its own loop. To make it a bit easier the longer loop resets to the beginning if you leave the room and come back.

I had sort of an idea of how it worked, and I still ended up having to look up a guide for it.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

FPzero posted:

The puzzle is difficult because you have to first determine what it's asking of you. First, you have to realize you're dealing with an invisible symmetry puzzle. Then you have to realize it's a sound one. Additionally, the sound loop for the ship puzzle plays out over about 2-3 minutes, so good luck figuring out what the start point for it is. And lastly, it doesn't seem like the colors of the dots actually matter, which is another confusing aspect.

Put all of that together and you have a recipe for a very confusing puzzle whose solution is not necessarily very obvious.

The colours do matter; you're tracing out two sound patterns and the black dots can belong to either line, just like how they did in the regular Symmetry puzzles earlier.

Pete/Amy, please please please find, unlock and attempt the Challenge! There's not even a very great deal you need to do; it's really just discovering one moderately well hidden switch that someone has already posted in spoilers above and learning a new (not really, you've been seeing it crop up here and there for the whole LP) mechanic; the Challenge itself is... well, you'll see.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, the ship puzzle was straightforward for me. It's just sound+symmetry and both of those elements are apparent once you look at it. Then it's just a matter of waiting and paying attention. It's one of those whole elements play to my strengths, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaded Spriter
Mar 27, 2010

Now that you have seen the endings...I will say there are 4 Audio logs in the "challenge" area (don't have to complete the challenge to get them.) I see them audio logs as the most important in the game - mainly because what story is in the game is contained within them and the secret ending.

You ran through the Secret ending a bit there are a lot of amazing views of the island and more credits (including the voice credits...which deserve love.) - That puzzle in the secret end - if you completed it a different way would of showed you something which you also missed - and that Cave you saw from the impossible hotel is the challenge area.

• Locked thread