Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

I do not understand the meaning of the secret ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

fractalairduct posted:

I do not understand the meaning of the secret ending.

"puzzles are everywhere"?

There's also some interpretation you could do with it re: those specific story audiologs someone mentioned but it's not anything major, the video is just a silly thing at the end of a nice credits section.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
All work and no play makes Jon a puzzle boy.

Also I'm so glad I now understand what all the indie developers I follow were laughing about when they mentioned piss jars.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I guess we should be thankful this game was not made by sith lord Yoko Taro, because you just know he'd actually erase your savegame instead of the fakeout there. (The game autosaved just before you fully activated the elevator) (I'm actually really, really curious what he'll pull for Nier Automata)

Thanks for the LP, this was a really interesting game and it was entertaining hearing all the :psypop: reactions that happened.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like the credits sequence. It feels like... a dream of a hotel, and as you get further and further in you start packing up and checking out.

azsedcf
Jul 21, 2006

...a place of unlimited darkness.
"Where are the doors?" they asked nerviously.
Even my bellowing laughter couldn't fill this space.
Also, in the other ending near the end of the path, you have to solve that panel puzzle a different way to bring up the lights. Basically, if the white squares are with the stars, then the lights turn on. You put the black squares with the stars, so the lights stayed off.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Shaded Spriter posted:

Now that you have seen the endings...I will say there are 4 Audio logs in the "challenge" area (don't have to complete the challenge to get them.) I see them audio logs as the most important in the game - mainly because what story is in the game is contained within them and the secret ending.

Adding to this, besides the audio logs there's another "safe" just like the ones that contain codes for the video room (the challenge isn't required to find it). It has a solution you can use to close the gate at the beginning so you don't need to start the game over.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I think there's an environmental puzzle if you go back to that very first door and look at the spot where you begin.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

-The ship puzzle hides a video and the puzzle itself is crazy. Watch this video instead to learn the solution. This is the sort of puzzle that I know I didn't figure out and had to look up, I'd bet you all would have just as much trouble as most of the people playing the game would have with it.

Oh gently caress off Blow! I would have never thought to do this!

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
I'm glad you guys finished this. You've done a great job, and your LP kept me going through my playthrough, which has made me get much more out of it than I would of my own volition, and I even made myself do the challenge before you guys could the game, so thanks for that. I know what you mean about the game dragging near the end, but I feel that's because you're pushing your way through the game to make something you can put up, rather than just taking it at your own pace and exploring what takes your interest. It's not a sprint, it's more of a stroll, it's a very meditative kind of game and whenever I got stuck with something I found that bashing my head against it was less helpful than just taking a while off, or going to look at something else. All the little atmospheric, environmental things are cool distractions from the frustration of the puzzles. But thanks to you guys piquing my interest over and over, I'm pretty sure all I need to do now is find some audiologs. I even did the hour-long video bullshit!

So here's some neat things you might want to look at in the last video. Spoiled in sections if you want more information.

The lake in the centre of the island is important. Look at the glowing lanterns. If you can't see what's up, get on a boat, and check out the map on the boat. The lake is visible on the map. The lake is the map.

The last area, behind the beneath of the mountain, requires eleven lasers. Seven lasers let you use the box that opened the mountain. Eleven lets you get deeper into the mountain but you have to find the switch. Look at the yellow box again. The switch you already solved extends to the base of the box, and the path it opens can be reached from the glum-looking jigsaw statue in the mountain. Quickly, now.

Once you're there there's a few neat things. A bunch of new puzzles, and some stuff to explore, but if you can't do everything here don't worry. Some of these puzzles are new kinds of bullshit to you. Audiologs in this area are particularly important, and kind of neat. Do you remember an audiolog that ended with a random "What?" a while ago, well you'll find it again. But each audiolog is different, so keep listening. There is a pillar puzzle you will want to do, which will allow you access to the very last of the shortcuts and audiologs. Some cool stuff.

There are a lot of environmental puzzles still to find, some of them are less dumb than others. Some you will have walked by a million times; Others you will never see until you're looking and then immediately find them. Pick a pillar, pick a shape, and then turn 180 degrees. You should look over that way to find that shape. I'd love to coax you into getting some of the more interesting/irritating ones, but I don't know how much more video you have left in you. Even if you don't get round to all this, it's been a great ride.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Getting this in before Pete and Amy wake up and realize they forgot to link their video to the thread. The challenge is indeed behind that reddish door, and you will most certainly know when you have actually started the challenge. The good news is your time limit isn't an hour, it's more around 5ish minutes. The bad news is that completing it will probably take you at least an hour. Be prepared to hate Edvard Grieg with a burning passion similar to that you have thus far reserved for Jonathon Blow. Have fun!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I will add that it is absolutely rewarding and fun to attempt to beat the Challenge (though yes, frequently infuriating). It will evolve your approach to puzzling.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

There's a bit of luck involved in the challenge - if it gives you a particularly difficult puzzle (especially near the end), you're out!

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe
Woo, okay, time for part 33! Sorry this wasn't posted yesterday; things were a bit busy.

Also, yeah, don't believe what we said in the beginning; we're going to do at least one more. The Challenge area was WAY bigger than we thought it'd be going in, and I don't even think we've reached the actual challenge yet.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
At 33:24 there was another one of those times where Amy second guessed herself, when she had a solution.
This is the first time I've seen this place. I liked the ones with the black on black color scheme. They were basically a short term memory test. Thanks for showing it of, guys.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 1, 2016

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

A creed is a belief system (or maybe one aspect of a belief system, not sure), a screed is a long argument to make a single point. Sorta like a manifesto but with a connotation of "tedious and boring" rather than "crazy".

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Oh, is this the Atheist stuff that I've heard so much about?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I found this audio log way more interesting than the in-game audio logs.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I missed that log when I played. It was interesting to hear some of the thought processes that went into the audio log inclusions, even if it is just a re-reading of a transcript conversation.

Also that blue reflection puzzle you were messing with while listening to the log was one of the hardest puzzles down in that area for me. The solution is very difficult to puzzle out but like most of the puzzles down in the cave it is completely optional and doesn't unlock anything other than a higher puzzle count on your save file.

Shaded Spriter
Mar 27, 2010

Of the 5-6 audio logs in the challenge area - all of them being 'behind the scenes' this one I think is the least revealing of details.

Spoilered since I don't want to put this interpretation in your mind when/if you hear them.
The Witness from what I can gleam from the cave and the secret ending is a mind altering transhumanist meditation tool/instrument/exercise.meant to help guide people into a better understanding of themselves and the world. It uses "transcranial magnetic stimulation", dreams and virtual reality to help people.

While one interpretation of the ending which you came to is an obsession with 'the puzzles' and making the game. Another interpretation could be that The Witness itself has got an addictive effect on people (As shown by the falling over and jar of piss as well as the falling asleep. Before getting to the challenge area I had a very much a "this is a game whose artistic statement is about games" mindset about this. God as a metaphor for a game designer. But after I had to recontextualise it as a more general meditation on life...in that the puzzles are not puzzles they are problems.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Yeah as far as interpreting the audiologs while it was somewhat obvious all along, it becomes very clear once you see the hotel credits ending that the island isn't real with the whole blatantly defying physics thing. In the context of that, all the concept art, preliminary sketches, little models in the background, the guy working on the puzzle, backstage audiologs-while you can take them as being about the devs it seems more directed towards a peek into the in-universe people who designed the island

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

FPzero posted:

Also that blue reflection puzzle you were messing with while listening to the log was one of the hardest puzzles down in that area for me. The solution is very difficult to puzzle out but like most of the puzzles down in the cave it is completely optional and doesn't unlock anything other than a higher puzzle count on your save file.

That's interesting because it was one of the easier puzzles in the area for me. It's just a matter of figuring out what shapes you can make with that combination of pieces and then drawing it out. Then again, almost any time I came across a block puzzle I drew it out on a piece of paper.

I missed that audio log as well.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I took me too long to figure out that blue panel puzzle (making the shifts and rotations in my mind -- for some reason I only used paper for the color-based puzzles in the game). Finally, while half asleep, I solved that one and a few others in that area basically with half an eye opened, barely conscious.
Apparently, my subconscious is smarter than conscious me (?).

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I think I saw another audio log at the base of one of the trees near the top of the elevator.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
By the way, good on you both for cathartically shouting "BLOOOOOOOOW". I've found doing that periodically greatly enhances your Witness experience.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
I can't believe you guys completed that pillar in basically one go. You seem to breeze through anything I had too much trouble with. I stayed away from that pillar, and completed every single puzzle except that pillar in the hope that one of them did something. I realised that the pitch-black corridor had to be something early on, but I just do not like interacting with those pillar puzzles.

I feel dumb for posting hints for you in my last post when you'd probably already recorded the video and stuff, I swear I'm trying to help. Good to see you're getting to the very end. And yeah, the audiologs in here are the most interesting, rather than being thoughtful quotes that are sometimes relevant to where you are, these meta-behind-the-scenes logs feel a lot more involved with the game and the ideas behind it. I can't believe that I missed the one you found here, but I did hear another one which I think is meant to be after that log and follows a similar chain of thought.

Once you've opened that door, you'll be able to access the last of the shortcuts in the game. And you'll find the way to re-lock the big white door. I don't think there's much left to point you to except the pond, some neat dioramas and a ton of environmental puzzles. Good work guys.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Okay, guys, it's time for the finale; part 34 is up now! Here's the plan: Within the next two weeks or so, we're going to practice The Challenge a bit more, and we're going to take a look at the boat puzzle. We're going to kind of do a "Finale Plus" video then, but we are going to start a different game first, for which we'll also create a thread on Something Awful. We're just really, really Witnessed out right now, so we need a little break, but we also don't want to leave the couple of loose ends that are left. We'll update this thread when we post the final finale, and we'll be looking at your posts here pretty much every day until then, like we normally do.

Thank all of you so much for sticking with us through this game. The forum interaction was absolutely fantastic, and I can't wait to see what you think of the next series. Amy and I are so happy that we started doing this. :D

TheDarkFlame posted:

I feel dumb for posting hints for you in my last post when you'd probably already recorded the video and stuff, I swear I'm trying to help. Good to see you're getting to the very end. And yeah, the audiologs in here are the most interesting, rather than being thoughtful quotes that are sometimes relevant to where you are, these meta-behind-the-scenes logs feel a lot more involved with the game and the ideas behind it. I can't believe that I missed the one you found here, but I did hear another one which I think is meant to be after that log and follows a similar chain of thought.

Ha, you're totally fine. We needed help with this game. :P

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Your reaction when Hall of the Mountain King started up was wonderful.
And as a note for practicing The Challenge, if you want to abandon a run early you can pop the game's anti-cheat script by pausing. It automatically turns everything off.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 4, 2016

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
What was your final puzzle count in your save? The most commonly accepted '100% complete' total is 523 +135.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That nameless employee deserves a raise for his idea. These audio logs present the game's thesis a lot better than the in-game ones IMO.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I can't decide if these after the fact audio logs make Blow less pretentious or even more so.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

citybeatnik posted:

I can't decide if these after the fact audio logs make Blow less pretentious or even more so.

IMO less. I kind of have a much better feeling of what he was trying to say, he just couldn't figure out how to say it right.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

SSNeoman posted:

IMO less. I kind of have a much better feeling of what he was trying to say, he just couldn't figure out how to say it right.

But they're obviously scripted and there's yet another story going on what with the people talking about the experiment and all. Plus I can't help feeling like it's bringing up more of the "science beats art, take THAT art!" stuff like from the first clip they found.

It could just be my dislike of the guy. "Aaaargh I'm trying to find an example of a really smart person saying something that fits exactly with what I'm going for and I can't seem to fiiiiiind it!" "... maybe it's you...?"

That said, enjoyed watching y'all play it.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Bruceski posted:

Your reaction when Hall of the Mountain King started up was wonderful.
And as a note for practicing The Challenge, if you want to abandon a run early you can pop the game's anti-cheat script by pausing. It automatically turns everything off.

Ha, thanks. :-D Also, the pause thing is a fantastic trick, and we'll probably use that a lot.

tinaun posted:

What was your final puzzle count in your save? The most commonly accepted '100% complete' total is 523 +135.

I'll have to check, and I'll post it here. We weren't even close to getting 100%, but I think we did pretty well.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

pedrovay2003 posted:

Ha, thanks. :-D Also, the pause thing is a fantastic trick, and we'll probably use that a lot.

Just to make sure we're on the same page, pausing cancels the challenge run, so it can't be used to think about puzzles. Mainly useful once you start making serious attempts, if you get bogged down somewhere and don't want to wait out the song.

Other notes for The Challenge to spare some flailing while you're learning it:
--For the triplets of dot puzzles, you only need to solve one of each trio. The challenge is recognizing which of them are solvable, I've seen two at once (I think) but at least one will be impossible.
--the pedestal puzzle (fourth one along) is related to the area after the triplets. You don't need to memorize it, but the ability to hang onto the general gist of the thing is very handy.
--other than that it's just a matter of practice and things you can figure out yourselves along the way. I haven't cleared it yet, just got there yesterday and always get stuck on the final puzzle.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Bruceski posted:

--the pedestal puzzle (fourth one along) is related to the area after the triplets. You don't need to memorize it, but the ability to hang onto the general gist of the thing is very handy.
If you're saying what I think you're saying, that will save me a ton of flailing about wildly.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

LogicalFallacy posted:

If you're saying what I think you're saying, that will save me a ton of flailing about wildly.

It was definitely a "JOHNATHAN BLOW!" moment when I found out.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
This might help with the triplet panels. After a few re-tries, I found that the first row was easy to solve (and spotting the panel that is solvable), but the second row was consistently kicking my rear end.

So, I've made up a "shortcut" rule, that statistically works on spotting a solvable panel. Meaning that it's not a rule that always applies to those panels, but most of the time it helped me quickly weed out those that were likely to be impossible. Basically, if a panel has three different colored dots adjacent (eg white, blue, green; 3 distinct colors) then it's better to move on to another panel.

Also, in the starting area of the game, where you end this final video, there is another extra puzzle. This one was spoiled for me, I didn't notice it either in my playthrough. Hint: It's another pillar puzzle, that when solved enables a floor panel puzzle too

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Bruceski posted:

--For the triplets of dot puzzles, you only need to solve one of each trio. The challenge is recognizing which of them are solvable, I've seen two at once (I think) but at least one will be impossible.
Oh, I was wondering about the ones with a 2x2 interlocking white and black because that sure looked impossible. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Bruceski posted:

Just to make sure we're on the same page, pausing cancels the challenge run, so it can't be used to think about puzzles. Mainly useful once you start making serious attempts, if you get bogged down somewhere and don't want to wait out the song.

Other notes for The Challenge to spare some flailing while you're learning it:
--other than that it's just a matter of practice and things you can figure out yourselves along the way. I haven't cleared it yet, just got there yesterday and always get stuck on the final puzzle.

Yeah, I know that you can't pause the game to think about stuff. :-P That would defeat the purpose.

And thanks for the other tips! We kind of thought some of the puzzles were impossible, so having to pick out the solvable ones makes complete sense.

• Locked thread