Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I'm sorry, but Welsh heroes sound like the kind of ridiculous one-upmanship you get in schoolyard pretend games. "Oh yeah? Well my guy can only be killed if you stab him with a spear you made when everyone was at church!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
This is the actual text: http://sacred-texts.com/neu/celt/mab/mab26.htm

At that time, Math the son of Mathonwy could not exist unless his feet were in the lap of a maiden, except only when he was prevented by the tumult of war.

I'm only mildly sure it just means he really prefers to stand on laps, and not that he'll disappear if he doesn't.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Time out.

Is that feet as in actual feet, or "feet" as an euphemism for genitals ala Judaism, meaning that he can't exist without regularly deflowering someone?

I'm not sure which is better/worse.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Math keeps Goewin around for years so the first one.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Didn't Math punish his two sons for deflowering one of his stools by turning them into animals and making them breed three times or so?

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Yes and raised the kids himself. I read through Math's branch, this might be my new favorite myth.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

My personal favorite is a bit of propaganda about the rites of succession for a certain few Irish kings involving a mare. And a cauldron, but that's after "the good part".

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Well this thread took an unexpected turn. :stare:

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
Me at 10 last night: "Well the internet is being slow because my roommate got Steam-saled, so I guess for the next couple of hours before bed I'll read a SSLP while videos buffer. Oh, Paper Sorceror! I have that game..."

Me at 6 this morning: "Fuuuuuuuuuck I was supposed to sleep. Sonovabitch."

Curse you chokes McGee and your amazing narrative. Curse. You. :f5:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Lazy Bear posted:

Me at 10 last night: "Well the internet is being slow because my roommate got Steam-saled, so I guess for the next couple of hours before bed I'll read a SSLP while videos buffer. Oh, Paper Sorceror! I have that game..."

Me at 6 this morning: "Fuuuuuuuuuck I was supposed to sleep. Sonovabitch."

Curse you chokes McGee and your amazing narrative. Curse. You. :f5:

Too late already cursed

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thuryl posted:

Oh, so that's why the game's called Paper Sorcerer. Clever.

I'm dense today. Why is it called Paper Sorcerer?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Chokes' random comments have been on point lately, holy poo poo.

EDIT: a paper tiger is something that looks fearsome but is actually harmless (like a tiger made of papier mache or origami or something). Llewyn is a paper sorceror because he claimed his master's reputation without having the power to back it up.

Xandor TikRoth
Mar 10, 2012

I can definitely help with that
Paper Sorcerer is on sale through Steam for $2.49. Just in case anyone else would like to pick it up.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
So, wait...you're telling me the heroes locked up the wrong guy? WHOOPS.

On one hand, it's probably doing wonders for his reputation, especially considering how he's tearing through the cells; on the other, he also probably doesn't appreciate being sealed up for stuff he didn't do...he'd probably prefer it if was on his own merits that--pffft, who am I kidding, that'd take too much effort for him.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Gilgamesh255 posted:

So, wait...you're telling me the heroes locked up the wrong guy? WHOOPS.

On one hand, it's probably doing wonders for his reputation, especially considering how he's tearing through the cells; on the other, he also probably doesn't appreciate being sealed up for stuff he didn't do...he'd probably prefer it if was on his own merits that--pffft, who am I kidding, that'd take too much effort for him.

Nah. I mean, dude was very clearly rampaging around enough to need containment. He just had the extra added bonus of being a complete fraud!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Chokes McGee posted:

Nah. I mean, dude was very clearly rampaging around enough to need containment. He just had the extra added bonus of being a complete fraud!

Got up to the usual apprentice shenanigans. They caught up to him after the Great Broom Flood of 1058.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

Chokes McGee posted:

Too late already cursed

May inspiration strike you in the wee hours with a feverish and desperate need to create.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

HardDiskD posted:

I'm right here, behind you.

http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/971019

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Chokes McGee posted:

Well at the beginning of the LP, it shows that the king and the adventurers chose to strike at the tower when the rampaging monsters vanished. The rampaging monsters probably vanished due to the change in management, unbeknownst to anybody.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
So what, this means that our lovely horned protagonist can do what he's been doing because he's literally the wrong guy? And the bindings on the book are being broken because he's not supposed to be there?

No one tell the Sorcorer. His ego is big enough as it is.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
To paraphrase the G-Man, he's the wrong man in the right place.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Things I didn't realize this game needed: a mod that spells "Sorcerer" differently every single time it appears.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

ManxomeBromide posted:

Things I didn't realize this game needed: a mod that spells "Sorcerer" differently every single time it appears.

The Schwartzerer needs to be in the spelling random pool.

I dunno about competence, L & party are tearing through the book quite quickly, and he was the apprentice to a quite powerful rear end in a top hat, but I kinda like the implication that the memory seal didn't take because it was set to a true name of rear end in a top hat, Esquire instead of Jackass jr.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

So, a random baby just keeled over dead because the life gem was attuned to the actual sourceror?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

HardDiskD posted:

So, a random baby just keeled over dead because the life gem was attuned to the actual sourceror?

The possibilities are endless.
And by 'endless' I mean "there are 4 or so possibilities"

1) There's a dead baby in an orphanage somewhere.
2) There's a dead adult/old man somewhere because time flows differently in the book.
3) There's a deader corpse somewhere.
4) Nothing happened because magic can't escape the book.

(Just reiterating a previous conversation here).

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
5) Nothing happens because his "life signature" changed too much when he was turned into a baby.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Happy Holidays, Everyone!

Kiss my holly jolly rear end.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Merry Christmas, Chokes. Let us celebrate the joyous return of Action Duck.

Odd joke about the Duck, but I actually started calling the Seagull in 100% Orange Juice that one day just as a joke while me and my friends were playing, and it's sort of stuck as a name. Especially when the little fucker survives at 1 HP and then rolls a 7 and OHKOs someone out of spite.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Happy Holidays, Chokes. :toot: Thanks again for this wonderful LP. I'm so glad the reveal meshed with your writing this well.

Derek Barona posted:

Especially when the little fucker survives at 1 HP and then rolls a 7 and OHKOs someone out of spite.
...Now there's a pain I am deeply familiar with. :shepface:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Derek Barona posted:

Merry Christmas, Chokes. Let us celebrate the joyous return of Action Duck.

Odd joke about the Duck, but I actually started calling the Seagull in 100% Orange Juice that one day just as a joke while me and my friends were playing, and it's sort of stuck as a name. Especially when the little fucker survives at 1 HP and then rolls a 7 and OHKOs someone out of spite.

I've loved Action Duck ever since he starred in Gunman Duck. If you beat the game as him you got to play as some cowboy named Cliff or something idk

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Unrelated whatsoever to the current LP but I just got done watching Heavy Metal for the first time in probably a decade. Juvenile or not, it's incredible the little details I missed when I was younger, like how Beezer's "this way get the gently caress out now" mannerisms are to get Sternn out of there before Hanover's distraction wears itself out, or how Taarna leaves three headless barbarian corpses after they decapitate the Elder.

There's a reason it's the finest thing Métal Hurlant has produced that wasn't Mobeus related. :shobon:

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
If there's one movie that fills my heart with the magic of Christmas, it's got to be Heavy Metal.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
As an avid reader of Heavy Metal magazine I have to agree. The movie is fantastic and just hearing any of the soundtrack makes me want to watch it no matter what time of year it is.

Honestly, give the magazine a shot again if you've never read it or gave up on it. The mid 90's era was really rape and sexual assault oriented in a lot of the material. Late 90's and early 2000s you got the Julie Strain fixation years (see Heavy Metal 2000) and generally middling stories overall. I'd say in the last 3 years though they have really cleaned up and made it good solid sci-fi and fantasy again. Grant Morrison took over as editor in chief earlier this year and so far things have been really amazing.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Woah woah woah back up.

Grant Morrison is in charge of Heavy Metal now? :stare:

Zushio
May 8, 2008
He most certainly is, and made a commitment to it for at least the next 5 years. Editor in Chief and at least one comic is usually his work as well.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Chokes McGee posted:

I've loved Action Duck ever since he starred in Gunman Duck. If you beat the game as him you got to play as some cowboy named Cliff or something idk

Man, that Cliff dude was so generic I had actually forgotten about Action Duck entirely. Had to go reinstall Gunman Duck to check, and indeed I'd only made it a few levels into the game.

This thread has given me Action Duck's minecart riding technique for Christmas. :allears: or :stare: as appropriate.

ManxomeBromide fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Dec 26, 2016

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Chokes McGee posted:

Unrelated whatsoever to the current LP but I just got done watching Heavy Metal for the first time in probably a decade. Juvenile or not, it's incredible the little details I missed when I was younger, like how Beezer's "this way get the gently caress out now" mannerisms are to get Sternn out of there before Hanover's distraction wears itself out, or how Taarna leaves three headless barbarian corpses after they decapitate the Elder.

There's a reason it's the finest thing Métal Hurlant has produced that wasn't Mobeus related. :shobon:

That actually happened to be on TV over here just a few weeks ago. It's the second time I've watched it. I have some issues with it too, but the aesthetic really clicks for me.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Zushio posted:

He most certainly is, and made a commitment to it for at least the next 5 years. Editor in Chief and at least one comic is usually his work as well.

mother of gently caress we might actually get something beyond "here is some tits now some blood lol"

ground floor (?) on this poo poo. If anyone can produce anything close to another Arzach, it's G-Mo.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Thuryl posted:

That actually happened to be on TV over here just a few weeks ago. It's the second time I've watched it. I have some issues with it too, but the aesthetic really clicks for me.

It's very much a product of its era, and a thoroughly teenage product. That's the thing that drives me insane about Métal Hurlant, it's trashy as gently caress but nearly every story has the one briliantly executed concept that keeps you onboard for the next one. It's really a guilty pleasure.

Except that poo poo goes out the window when Arzach fires up, because Moebius was loving incredible at his job. Not surprisingly, Taarna is descended from an ersatz Arzach.

Also Sternn.

Okay I'm done, we'll be back to your regularly scheduled horn based idiocy soon enough. There's some fights coming down the pipeline that I think you're gonna enjoy. :allears:

e: Plus let's not forget that Fifth Element is very much a Heavy Metal movie based on the French Sci-Fi aesthetic alone.

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Making a post so I can actually find this thread on my phone and read it while I'm at the doctor today. I only made it up to the Illusionist update and I am enjoying it immensely.

• Locked thread