Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Windmaster Manwe
Oct 30, 2012

Maybe I could show God some jammin' Latin rhythm, ja?
Hey, this game! I actually just beat it the other day with a Witch/Werewolf/Skeleton party, which is about as boring and basic as parties get, but eh. One thing that kind of annoyed me about this game was that while the game does let you summon more dudes eventually, as Chokes has said, there's one mechanic in particular that makes it pretty much a bad idea to swap people out. Which kinda sucks, because a lot of your dudes are really specialized and being able to switch your party up every once in a while would have done a lot to mitigate the slog that a lot of people have been talking about (and I agree with.)

When we get to the later levels I'll actually talk about what I mean, but this game definitely has some... interesting approaches to balance. Namely that it doesn't approach it. I did enjoy it quite a bit though, especially given that it's was pretty much done by one dude in his basement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

This is the kind of game that looks really fun in a let's play but I'm not sure I'd want to play it myself. Looking forward for more of it. :)

Alone on the hill and ready to die, Cancer of darkness - blacken eye, The mark of the wolf and the sign of the calf, Angels bleed down above the raft,

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Poil posted:

Alone on the hill and ready to die, Cancer of darkness - blacken eye, The mark of the wolf and the sign of the calf, Angels bleed down above the raft,

This is the last time I go to one of your goddamn poetry slams.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Gabriel Pope posted:

Taunting never seems to really work on bosses anyhow. I'm not sure that enemy special skills even take taunts into account, so you waste a turn having your tank try to do his thing and the boss ignores him to paste your squishes anyhow.

EDIT: Also, re: loot chat, the first time I made it past the 2nd boss (on Hard) it was only because I somehow randomly found an endgame quest reward armor in a chest in the 2nd area.

It works, it's just not 100% works. I think it ups the possibility of the tank being hit by like 50 to 75%. Course that's just speculation.

Also, yeah I hate random loot. Makes me to tempted to save scum.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Poil posted:

This is the kind of game that looks really fun in a let's play but I'm not sure I'd want to play it myself. Looking forward for more of it. :)

Chokes McGee posted:

This is the last time I go to one of your goddamn poetry slams.

Hell, if it wasn't for the loot, I wouldn't be going anywhere with any of you losers.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

See if you're ever invited again. Whose idea were these team building exercises anyway?

(:nws:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq4zbZ3ULaU, for some reason I got this song stuck in my head)

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Getting a Dark Spire vibe from this game, which is another great Wizardry clone. Loving the party banter as always Chokes, you really know how to give player made characters some personality. Will be watching this one.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 17, 2016

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Poil posted:

(:nws:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq4zbZ3ULaU, for some reason I got this song stuck in my head)

I had forgotten how stupidly earnest and enthusiastic most of Rob Zombie's catalogue is. Now I'm jonesing for some Educated Horses.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Do enemies build up energy to use special moves too, or can they just unleash them at random?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Glazius posted:

Do enemies build up energy to use special moves too, or can they just unleash them at random?

As far as I can tell, they have Energy meters, too. They're just kept neatly tucked behind the scenes.

If you're willing to take a few educated guesses, you can probably predict what they're going to do next and plan accordingly. IDK for sure though.

Shiva Asori
Mar 5, 2010
Chokes, just a heads up, there's an event that happens when the sorcerer is lvl 20 and it's a opportunity for a thread vote.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
They definitely have skill cooldowns, but I'm not sure they have energy meters, or at least their skills are not particularly big energy guzzlers. They don't seem to be able to use the same skill back to back but they'll chain their big skills together easily.

Shiva Asori
Mar 5, 2010

Gabriel Pope posted:

They definitely have skill cooldowns, but I'm not sure they have energy meters, or at least their skills are not particularly big energy guzzlers. They don't seem to be able to use the same skill back to back but they'll chain their big skills together easily.

Actually, they just have huge energy meters, like a few dozen energy, so it's more likely they'll die then run out of energy as they still get the +1 en per turn.
(a certain miniboss and random enemies on cellblock 7 has more then 70~ energy and can pull off their skills for 4-6 energy.)

Shiva Asori fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 18, 2016

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Shiva Asori posted:

Actually, they just have huge energy meters, like a few dozen energy, so it's more likely they'll die then run out of energy as they still get the +1 en per turn.
(a certain miniboss and random enemies on cellblock 7 has more then 70~ energy and can pull off their skills for 4-6 energy.)

I'm going to hate late-game, aren't I. :ughh:

I seriously have concerns this is the first LP I'll have to bail out of If the loot situation goes sideways on us. I mean, we'll see in next update that we're good so far (:getin:), but bosses in this stupid thing are murder and I have no idea how bad they're going to be compared to the first proper boss.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Chokes McGee posted:

I seriously have concerns this is the first LP I'll have to bail out of If the loot situation goes sideways on us. I mean, we'll see in next update that we're good so far (:getin:), but bosses in this stupid thing are murder and I have no idea how bad they're going to be compared to the first proper boss.

They're honestly not that bad, and there's a really easy way of getting around loot RNG that opens up immediately after where you are now that doesn't even involve save-scumming.

Also you're rocking two healers and a tank. You're pretty set as long as you continue to buff the poo poo out of the Sorcerer, and to a lesser extent the Vampire, as damage dealers.

I have beaten the game on hard with a Witch/Minotaur/Shadow, and you have nothing that's going to gently caress you over as hard as late game Shadow/Minotaur low damage rolls :negative:

Windmaster Manwe
Oct 30, 2012

Maybe I could show God some jammin' Latin rhythm, ja?
Yeah, The lategame can get a little sloggy, but the loot situation doesn't factor into it nearly as much as it does in the earlygame. You get enough loot in general that unless you're incredibly unlucky you won't really be in trouble, and midgame I honestly just stopped looking at my equipment for whole blocks unless I got something that looked particularly tasty.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Intermezzo I: Man About Town

not the horns NOT THE HOR—

Yowza.

...we're met before, haven't we? You're the one that broke me out of my cell.

You're a perceptive one. That's going to come in handy. :rolleyes:

That is not a mouse, chief.

No, no it is not.

Well, relatively safe. You don't get sealed in here for being nice.

I can handle a few street brawls.

We can handle a few street brawls, you mean.

Right. Isn't that what I said?

You see, even though this book we're in is our prison, it's still a book. Subject to all the frailty and limitation of any book. Books are held together by their bindings, and if the bindings are broken...

:smugdog:

...soooo, what happens?

:ughh:

You will need to ascend through the Librum, breaking the bindings on every block. When the last is broken, we can do as we please.

As we please, eh? :heysexy:

Within reason.

Aw.

:shivdurf: You quickly learn the spell, taking only a few hours.

Really? :shobon:

No. You're an idiot.

Also, here. Take this.

:shivdurf: She hands you a large plam sized gem, covered in spiraling runes.

That will enable you to return here whenever you want.

Or right now. Or just in general. Because wow.

Good luck!

I kinda like her!

*grumble*

Welcome to Sanctuary! This'll serve as our safe space and base of operations from here on out. It provides all the comforts of a normal RPG town—shops, inn, etc.—only without all those pesky adventurers wandering around.

We'll get to each place in a bit, but let's check in with the locals first!

...snake...

Eh?

Oh, sorry. Forgot you're a goblin. THE SNAKE IS WEIRD. I THINK I KNOW IT.

You've seen the guy?

I mean, not directly. I have my sources.

Why do you have sources? I want sources. Get me some sources, you guys, pronto!

No. Also, wouldn't a decimator chop you into nine-tenths?

A guy with a name like "Gilex the Decimator" probably ain't that good with numbers.

What, and you are?

Yeah? I'm a CPA.

Huh.

Y'know, it's good to see the undead community with a high profile ownership. There's a lot of prejudice out there.

It's gettin' better. The NAAUP does a lot of good work.

RRG RAR GRR GNNN

Anybody here speak zombie?

I took a couple of semesters in it. Let me give it a shot.

MRR GAAA RRRR GN

...the pot is on the stove? I think?

Sometimes I wonder why I bother summoning you guys at all.

First thing to do is dump off our loot. Since we've basically stolen everything that wasn't nailed down, you're going to see us pawn off some goofy stuff. Generally the game gives the generic description of "Worth a decent sum to the right buyer," but every now and then it has snarky feedback for our inventory:

Wait wait wait. Back up.

The tongs are the best loot we've found? :psyduck:

Anyway, with all that crap and poo poo gear unloaded, we can afford to deck everyone out in proper equipment! This'll make a big difference, as we now have 25+ defense and can do actual damage with iron weapons. Plus, no one will laugh at our gear anymore.

GRRR HA HA HA

When I want your opinion wage-slave I'll ask for it

No more so than usual, anyway.

Next up is our room!

Room and board at Chez Sanctuary is apparently free, which is great. Not only that, but...

Now this is more like it. This place has all the amenities!

Which means it's time to start lootin'.

One time, I smuggled a terricloth robe and a matching set of towels out of an inn. They never suspected a thing.

I got an entire memory foam mattress once.

I'm not going to ask how, and yet at the same time, I'm not surprised.

And to think, some places only give you free shampoo and horn oil.

...horn oil?

These things don't stay handsome on their own.

The bed, not surprisingly, will restore our HP. Since we're playing on Normal, it'll also wake up our fallen jerks comrads and refill their life as well. On Hard and 1980s, this won't work, and you'll have to either buy/use a restoration crystal or swap them out for a new party member. Restoration crystals are 500 gems, by the way. That is stupid expensive in a game with an effectively limited amount of loot.

I see the Gideons have been through here.

The Tome of Heroes is just a quick shout-out to the people who supported Paper Sorceror's Kickstarter. It doesn't have much use as an item outside of novelty purposes.

Or getting you 200 gems without breaking a sweat. :waycool:

Also available around here is...

Nice horns.

Game recognizes game.

The skill trainer lets you customize/boost your guys however you like. It's expensive to start with, and it'll only get more expensive as you train. However, if you've got some gems to spare, it is absolutely worth it. In the future, we'll put our advancements up to a (limited) vote. For now, though...

We're going to see Willow get 2 levels of Energy Control ASAP. We want her spamming Heal and Quick Heal during boss fights without having to hit Focus. It'll make life tolerable, if not nicer.

Only one place left to visit!

Ah, you're the one who just escaped, aren't you. Come closer, there's something you can help me with.

That sounds like an incredibly poor id—

Is this close enough? :iamafag:

Maybe not that close.

hehe wat u want

You are the best person in this entire place and I want your autograph.

Sure. What's your name?

Just make it out to—oh. Oooooh. You're good.

Dang. That close to a new summon.

However, there are some mischevious souls who have hidden from me. They scattered themselves across the Librum, one in each block.

:shivdurf: You feel a weigh in your hand. Looking down you see you are holding a small black stone.

Use that stone to trap wayward spirits.

Who you gonna call?!

Ghostbusters!

That's racist.

Just beware the restless spirits of those defeated. They will attack you ceaselessly. Now go! Return when you have found another one of my lost souls.

Oh man. Guys, do you realize what this means? We're Death's bounty hunters.

Now that's a sweet gig.

Especially since you and pointy-teeth over there owe me.

You had your chance. We don't owe you poo poo.

Oh, are you gonna do the shout now, Dr. Claw? "I'll get you next time, Vlad and Frank! NEEEEEEEEEXT TIIIIIIIIIIIME"

Hey, can we check out the catacombs while we're here?

It'd be my sincere pleasure.

Here's the catacombs! They must have just put them in since they haven't faded to sepia yet. He's an enterprising one, that Death.

The catacombs are where you can pick up some extra loot and do some grinding, if you're so inclined. The game claims you don't need to grind to finish, but the game says a lot of things. If you've hit a brick wall, it's not a bad idea to hang out here for a little while. It doesn't take a lot of effort to catch up, but you'll probably have to keep grinding until someone drops a rare item. Depending on your luck and what your current gear level is, this could take a while.

I'm not going to waste your time describing this fight. At the end, however...

Just a quick introduction to runes here: they're basically just an extra magic item you can slot to boost your guys' stats in some way. Here, we have the iron rune, which pumps up HP and Defense. We put this one on Frank post-haste and :siren: oh my gods who cares about any of that poo poo Vlad has a steel greatsword now :siren:

21-40 damage :woop:

Steel gear is one level above iron and a weapon we shouldn't have at this point. You'll notice. Trust me.

Of course, not everyone down here is a chump. Occasionally you'll bump into some mobs that are much higher level than what you've already fought, such as...

...these guys. The fighter on the left end there is more dangerous than he looks—he's got a high damage rate and a skill called Double Strike that hurts like hell right now. The (Dead) Level 3 Knight can also crank out some pretty impressive damage if your armor dips too low. Same old, same old here---fry the squire in the middle on the first round, beat on the Knight until his armor's broken, magic the hell out of him, then repeat for the fighter.

Even though it doesn't look impressive, 8 defense and some HP damage on the first swing ain't shabby. Keep in mind, this doesn't mean he did 10 damage; defense comes down proportionally to what it absorbs, but not one-to-one. It also means Vlad's initial hit went right over the top of the knight's stupidly high starting defense. Now that his sword doesn't suck, you can see how the Vampire is really underrated as a primary damage dealer. Everybody homes in on his lifedrain/sacrifice abilities, which are more of an emergency gimmick IMO. Treat him as a standard bruiser, and you'll get way more value out of him.

Also, our staple skills are starting to come in! This is Frank's "Defender" ability, which gives your entire party a temporary boost to Defense and Max Defense. There is absolutely zero reason not to take advantage of it, since the temporary defense boost isn't subtracted from your score if you've already lost it. Plus, it's only 2 Energy. Pop this thing at the beginning of every fight and refresh it whenever it cools down and you can spare the Energy. There's no reason not to.

Vlad :stare:

This is a critical hit, which does happen—they're just not announced in flashy terms like other games. You'll know when one of these goes off. You'll do... a lot more than double damage.

Unfortunately, this means enemies can do the same to you sometimes. It sucks, but there's not a whole lot you can do to prevent it (outside of debuff and hope for the best).

Frank is starting to round into shape as a backup fighter, too. Now that his gear doesn't suck, you'll find our loveable polymath meathead does a little bit of everything and does it extremely well. I really like the Abomination; if it weren't for the fact that his taunt skill is of questionable usefulness before you get big ticket armor, I'd say he's bordering on broken. Might as well use that to our advantage!

Vlad :stonk:

With our new sword levelling the playing field, we actually cruise through this fight pretty quick. That's good, because these are the staple jerks we'll be seeing on the spell block. If we're already threshing our way through them without issue, we should be in the clear. (For now.)

Vlad :allears:

Well ain't that conspicuous.

:shivdurf: In a large and dusty tome you had read about an ancient form of necromancy. It involved taking a person's life energy and infusing it into an inanimate object, such as a doll or puppet.

(Hmm. I bet I could stuff an adventurer into a sword if I really tried. I could call it... "Offender.")

:shivdurf: When activated the puppet would serve the first person it sees. If what you remember is true, by activating these runes you will become the puppets master. From what you have heard the puppet would make a valuable ally. Both versatile and loyal Their abilities vary based on what parts are attached.

(On second thought, that's a stupid name and a stupid idea.)

:siren: Decision Time

Hey, thread! It's time to vote!

At the end of each catacomb section, you'll get some power back and can summon up a new ally. Level 1 is unique, however, in that you find the puppet. You don't have to take him as an ally—personally, I'm not a fan—but that's not for me to decide right now.

We're going to vote on the next summon we select. (Keep in mind that it's the only shot we'll get at the puppet!) Here's the list of candidates:

• Killer Puppet - Fully customizable party member, time/money sink but eventually worth it
  • Werewolf - Unarmed brawler
  • Minotaur - Cranks out stupid amounts of damage but tends to vary wildly in range
  • Skeleton - Think Frank but slightly more skewed towards physical damage
  • Ghost - Probably has the most powerful buffs and debuffs
  • Imp - You want spells? We got spells
  • Goblin - Gimmick fighter, claims to pick locks to bypass puzzles, I have never seen this be useful
  • Cultist - Healer, more physically durable than Willow but not as committed to magic
  • Troll - Glass cannon, can crank out a ton of damage but gets flattened pretty easily
  • Shadow - Randomized damage, basically Setzer from Finay Fantasy VI

As always, voting closes whenever I feel we have a quorum, i.e. whenever the gently caress I feel like it. I've got our core party, so don't worry too much about screwing things up for this run. However, don't expect them to appear in starring roles, either.

Get to it! I'll post the results at the beginning of the next update.

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Feb 18, 2016

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Shadow :colbert:

Also the catacombs are really useful if you've been screwed by RNG. Encounters are fairly rare, the ones you do get tend to drop loot, and chests respawn every time you leave and re-enter.

The first level is 3 free shots at loot with likely 0-1 encounters. And with the way the loot tables in this game works, that can get you some insanely good gear. Really helpful for gimmick parties who can't actually fight the encounters here or in the second block yet (Imp, Ghost, Goblin is uh, not a fun party early on)

The Puppet would be in contention for best party member in the game hands down if it didn't have one extreme drawback that almost requires building the party around it. Its a really cool and unique thing too, but not super great unfortunately.

Zore fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Feb 18, 2016

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Who knows what [insert pithy comment here that I'm drawing a blank on because it's 12:30 AM]? The Shadow knows.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Aaaaa whoever wrote this game desperately needs to use more punctuation it looks unprofessional as hell. :qq:

Brawlers are cool, I guess? I dunno I'm bad at voting. Werewolf

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Feb 18, 2016

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

If this were a Shin Megami Tensei game I'd be all over that ghost - how effective are buffs/debuffs in this game?

Either way, I'm voting Ghost.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I don't know poo poo about this game but I sure do like Werewolves. :allears:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

A ghost sounds fun. It's a role no one currently does (I think), and on the plus side the enemies can get nightmares around christmas.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
If my memory serves me correctly, we already picked up a weapon upgrade for the ghost in an earlier update. Might as well make use of it.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Puppet cause I want to see what the gently caress it actually does.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
Gotta' be a ghost, man. :ghost:

Shiva Asori
Mar 5, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

If this were a Shin Megami Tensei game I'd be all over that ghost - how effective are buffs/debuffs in this game?

Either way, I'm voting Ghost.

depends on what type of buff/debuff, the add/subtract stats are eh, anti-element effects roughly cut the appropriate damage in half, the enemy gains a element weakness roughly multiplies damage taken by 1.5,
DoTs mostly deal damage based on max health, the rest are pretty good.
The ghost starts with a AOE enemy gains phys weakness and a enemy gain arcane weakness arcane damage attack, but the witch eventually gains single target versions of the same thing.

Chokes McGee posted:

There is always hacking the save file if need be, also this used to be the only way for non-backers to access the succubus (alt-imp) and the dryad (alt-witch) via: http://www.gog.com/forum/paper_sorcerer/how_to_hack_and_get_kickstarter_exclusive_you_had_been_missing_out
honestly, the bosses for like the first 3-4 blocks are the harder ones, as bosses in some of the later blocks tend to be rather squishy, of course that just happens to be when the common enemies start becoming real threats.My view maybe biased due to use of DoTs, Also Imp or Succubus.

Shiva Asori fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Feb 18, 2016

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Regardless of how unreliable the Abom's taunt is he'll prove his usefulness several times over towards the endgame. Between the skeleton and him he's got the better end of useful abilities.

Fayrn
Apr 5, 2009

Shiva Asori posted:

The ghost starts with a AOE enemy gains phys weakness...

This. This right here. Combine with a certain bull-man and a big axe and everything dies. I blew through the game on Hard with minimal effort on the back of this combination - enemy groups rarely lasted more than two rounds. Some bosses lasted only last one.

The Ghost was probably the biggest surprise I had my first few times through the game as far as party member usefulness goes - my initial reaction of oh great a buff/debuff bot swiftly changed to OH GOD HOLY poo poo.

Unfortunately, this is our one and only chance to get a customizable wooden eldritch abomination, so casting my vote for PUPPET.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Gonna have to go with the ghost. Do its armor upgrades consist of sheets with varying thread counts? :v:

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Go with Ghost . Vlad already has two undead on his team, and why not piss of Death more?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Gonna have to go with the ghost. Do its armor upgrades consist of sheets with varying thread counts? :v:

Its armor upgrades consist of being a fuckin ghost.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Vlad shall be the puppetmaster!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I like how you guys are (seemingly) confusing the Sorceror and Vlad. It's incredibly appropriate for the thread in general. :allears:

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

Shiva Asori posted:

Also Imp or Succubus.

Let's go with that.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
We have 000 goblins. Let's change that.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Half-tempted to vote skeleton solely because he/she is left-handed, but considering your love of the abomination and how no one else has voted for it, I think I'll vote for Werewolf.

Shiva Asori
Mar 5, 2010
Voting incentive for Imp/Succubus:

Click here for the full 1920x1080 image

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Hey guys? I don't have the kickstarter version. It'll have to be Imp or nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiva Asori
Mar 5, 2010
I could post a guide as to how to edit the save file, the data for the succubus is still in the game even in the non-backer version if you want.

it's simple for a edit, involves changing just 4 variables and the savefile can be opened in notepad.

Shiva Asori fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 18, 2016

• Locked thread