Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Why are we not getting the get-it-now-or-it's-gone-forever Puppet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

CirclMastr posted:

Why are we not getting the get-it-now-or-it's-gone-forever Puppet?

The impression I'm getting is that every character is "get it now or it's gone forever" because Chokes isn't going to be rearranging his party ever.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The impression I'm getting is that every character is "get it now or it's gone forever" because Chokes isn't going to be rearranging his party ever.

Nah, I'll be slotting them in from time to time, it's just we'll always come back to our core party.

Plus, we'll get multiple opportunities to vote as we work our way through the catacombs. It's just the Puppet that's "pick it or it's gone."

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
I forgot that the puppet is take it or it's gone.

Take the puppet

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

The Puppet is weird and strange and should be shown off. This is the only chance to pick it up, while we can grab at least some of the others later.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Puppet, its not a Chokes LP without breaking the game with a simple vaguely broken Chekov's gun and turning it into a rail cannon. or chainsaw

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Werewolf. Because we need a meat grinder, and some of those buffs are just awesome.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Chokes McGee posted:

Nah, I'll be slotting them in from time to time, it's just we'll always come back to our core party.

Plus, we'll get multiple opportunities to vote as we work our way through the catacombs. It's just the Puppet that's "pick it or it's gone."

Wait, so what happens to characters that you remove from the party? If we take the Puppet now, can we replace it with someone else and then later bring the Puppet back? What happens to our e.g. Ghost if we decide we want to play with the Goblin for a bit?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Wait, so what happens to characters that you remove from the party? If we take the Puppet now, can we replace it with someone else and then later bring the Puppet back? What happens to our e.g. Ghost if we decide we want to play with the Goblin for a bit?

You have a bench that you can swap between (although I think you might have to be in town to swap? I don't quite remember). Taking the puppet now doesn't even mean we have to use him now, and benched characters still gain exp.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Can I get a clarification from people who've played the game, is the puppet an irascible old codger who doesn't care WHO he offends, or is he just a zany racial caricature? Use spoiler tags if necessary.

also does the ghost have tits

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Puppet

I wanna see it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

You have six party slots, not counting the Sorcerer. Only four can be in battle at once, and the Sorcerer is required, so you essentially have a party and a backup party by the end of Block 3.

The problem is you can't really keep everyone up to date with training because its stupid expensive.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Explosions posted:

Can I get a clarification from people who've played the game, is the puppet an irascible old codger who doesn't care WHO he offends, or is he just a zany racial caricature? Use spoiler tags if necessary.

Mortimer Snerd or gtfo

quote:

also does the ghost have tits

:iiam:

BTW, we originally had the Ghost by a landslide but puppet is coming back strong! I'm gonna hold voting open another day probably to see how things shake out.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Zore posted:

You have six party slots, not counting the Sorcerer. Only four can be in battle at once, and the Sorcerer is required, so you essentially have a party and a backup party by the end of Block 3.

The problem is you can't really keep everyone up to date with training because its stupid expensive.

You can still use their skills out in the map even when they're not in your party though, just not in battle. I did a hard run that involved having the Cultist in the backup group as a healing battery between combats.

I'll toss my vote in for the puppet as well, mostly because I never bothered with it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Much as I like the ghost I'm gonna vote Puppet.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!
I don't see the Sorceror passing up the chance to be the Master of Puppets, or in this case, one Puppet.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
Would be pretty hilarious if the Sorcerer tried to give the Puppet the 'perfect' minion personality. Just to see how the rest of the party would react to it.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Changing my vote to Puppet.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Ghost for buffing and nerfing madness.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I'm gonna go ahead and call it for the Puppet, guys. The Ghost gave a good run, but we were waiting for the results from Goon County and the turnout was pretty heavy there.

Update will be up in a day or two! Maybe possibly.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Also I'm happy to report quality loot will not be a problem for this run :stare:

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
<obligatory hanging chads joke>

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
This is already an awesome LP, and it has already convinced me to add this game to my Steam wishlist even though I'd seen and passed it over several times before. Good luck and goonspeed, Chokes. :patriot:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Chokes McGee posted:

Also I'm happy to report quality loot will not be a problem for this run :stare:

Well, congratulations on propitiating the RNG. It's just waiting to pounce, you know.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Sounds like standard fare for a Chokes LP. The RNG seems to like you quite a lot. Shame the same can't be sad for luck outside your Let's Plays.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
The thing is, it's only for LPs when people are watching. When I tried a hard run off screen, I had to end up scuttling it because I did not get one single piece of rare gear. The next boss, accordingly, destroyed us.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Gonna start playing this, and glad to see someone else calling out harder = better as bullshit. Lot of the old, old games were hard for two reasons:

A. To sell hint books/Helplines to charge additional money

or

B. Accidental as playtesting wasn't as thorough or standardized today, so the programmers who made the game and know all the mechanics are often the times doing the playtesting period, and generally only for specific portions of the game.

Shiva Asori
Mar 5, 2010
I don't mind hard games but when later encounters can go like this: battle start, enemy 1 uses running slash, enemy 2 uses running slash, hope is lost, game over. When this happens, it kinda shows that fairness wasn't a concern to the maker.
But my biggest complaint is how buggy it still is, more then 2 years later and there's still bugs that can force restarting the game.

Shiva Asori fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 20, 2016

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Shiva Asori posted:

I don't mind hard games but when later encounters can go like this: battle start, enemy 1 uses running slash, enemy 2 uses running slash, hope is lost, game over. When this happens, it kinda shows that fairness wasn't a concern to the maker.
But my biggest complaint is how buggy it still is, more then 2 years later and there's still bugs that can force restarting the game.

Yeah - "Hard but Fair" is perfectly legit, where it's about using your head and managing your resources. When it comes down to being extremely lucky or having to slam your face for several hours to get basically a couple minutes of progress - that's bull.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
I think the biggest flaw with this game's difficulty is that it seems to equate harder with bigger numbers. A lot of bosses don't really feel challenging so much because you're countering their gimmicks and exploiting their weaknesses as it does because they have humongous numbers compared to your party. At the point I'm at bosses are using some abilities that inflict status ailments and whatnot, but they still feel like giant punching bags that hit like trucks, rather than feeling like the main brunt of the fight is counteracting the ailments. It's more like something just kinda tossed in for a bit of spice rather than being a key component of the dish, to use a half-assed cooking analogy.

I know I'm sounding really harsh on the game, but I do want to emphasize that I have been enjoying it! This tickles the Wizardry itch without turning me off with massive mazes (so far) and little to no auto-map feature. It's just that, as everyone else has said, the bosses in particular tend to be tedious fights with little to no frills on the actual combat. And the later game enemies start tending to feel the same way (in addition to being less frequent, it feels). It's an enjoyable game with a lot of potential, but it also has a fair number of flaws. It's by far not the worst 5 dollars I've spent, that's for sure.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Shiva Asori posted:

I think I just went through that exact same fight earlier today when I was replaying it - the only way I managed to get through it was consumables spam.

Hopefully they patched up a bug late in the game involving the various puzzles since the last time i played. THAT was annoying.

Wiser Guy
Mar 19, 2015
I just noticed that you have been using "Sorceror" when it is specifically spelled "Sorcerer" in game and on the steam page.

While I don't particularly care that much if you decide to fix this typo or not, I haven't seen this issue being brought up in the thread before.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

Wiser Guy posted:

I just noticed that you have been using "Sorceror" when it is specifically spelled "Sorcerer" in game and on the steam page.

While I don't particularly care that much if you decide to fix this typo or not, I haven't seen this issue being brought up in the thread before.

Well, now that you pointed it out, we can't unsee it. LP ruined, thread voted 0 - shut it down, people!

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I vote we split the difference and call him the 'Sorcerir' from now on.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Sorcer/Sorcerer/Sorcerself

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Xe does have headmates...

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Why do you automatically assume people from other existences spell things the same way we do? Heteronormative jerks :mad:

Meh, I'll just do the same thing I do in every story and lampshade to make it a viable spelling somehow. In fact, I already have an idea, but you'll have to put up with it until late game. Deal wiith it :smugdog:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Sorcerest :smug:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
That sorceror/sorcerer thing screws me up all the time. I have no idea why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Christ you guys, it's spelled 'saucer.'

• Locked thread