Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shiva Asori
Mar 5, 2010
from my experience, Bosses tend to be weak to DoT effects since 1. Dots ignore defense which cuts out several rounds of tedium and 2. DoTs deal non-insignificant Percentage damage based on max health which cuts out even more rounds of tedium and 3. all bosses up to and including cellblock 4 can be inflicted with poison, which deals 10% max health each round.

As such Bosses tend to devolve into drop DoTs, survive, drop a second round of Dots, Survive once more, win. Not that surviving is easy but at least killing the boss is taken care of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiva Asori
Mar 5, 2010

Chokes McGee posted:

We'll get there in a couple of updates but yeah. There are a lot of skills you'll want to stick first before you get down to work on their Defense rating.

Work on their defense? skip it entirely as dots stack (you can both poison and witchfire them in conjunction) and dots tend to last 3 turns, so 2 poisons and a burn take off enough health to kill anything that doesn't heal, (10% * 6) + (15% * 3) = 105%.

also your opinion on the reward on catacomb 1 (to avoid spoilers)?

Just to be informative to people who haven't played, the sorcerer can equip staffs, daggers, longswords and maces.

Shiva Asori fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 11, 2016

Shiva Asori
Mar 5, 2010
Chokes, just a heads up, there's an event that happens when the sorcerer is lvl 20 and it's a opportunity for a thread vote.

Shiva Asori
Mar 5, 2010

Gabriel Pope posted:

They definitely have skill cooldowns, but I'm not sure they have energy meters, or at least their skills are not particularly big energy guzzlers. They don't seem to be able to use the same skill back to back but they'll chain their big skills together easily.

Actually, they just have huge energy meters, like a few dozen energy, so it's more likely they'll die then run out of energy as they still get the +1 en per turn.
(a certain miniboss and random enemies on cellblock 7 has more then 70~ energy and can pull off their skills for 4-6 energy.)

Shiva Asori fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 18, 2016

Shiva Asori
Mar 5, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

If this were a Shin Megami Tensei game I'd be all over that ghost - how effective are buffs/debuffs in this game?

Either way, I'm voting Ghost.

depends on what type of buff/debuff, the add/subtract stats are eh, anti-element effects roughly cut the appropriate damage in half, the enemy gains a element weakness roughly multiplies damage taken by 1.5,
DoTs mostly deal damage based on max health, the rest are pretty good.
The ghost starts with a AOE enemy gains phys weakness and a enemy gain arcane weakness arcane damage attack, but the witch eventually gains single target versions of the same thing.

Chokes McGee posted:

I'm going to hate late-game, aren't I. :ughh:

I seriously have concerns this is the first LP I'll have to bail out of If the loot situation goes sideways on us. I mean, we'll see in next update that we're good so far (:getin:), but bosses in this stupid thing are murder and I have no idea how bad they're going to be compared to the first proper boss.
There is always hacking the save file if need be, also this used to be the only way for non-backers to access the succubus (alt-imp) and the dryad (alt-witch) via: http://www.gog.com/forum/paper_sorcerer/how_to_hack_and_get_kickstarter_exclusive_you_had_been_missing_out
honestly, the bosses for like the first 3-4 blocks are the harder ones, as bosses in some of the later blocks tend to be rather squishy, of course that just happens to be when the common enemies start becoming real threats.My view maybe biased due to use of DoTs, Also Imp or Succubus.

Shiva Asori fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Feb 18, 2016

Shiva Asori
Mar 5, 2010
Voting incentive for Imp/Succubus:

Click here for the full 1920x1080 image

Shiva Asori
Mar 5, 2010
I could post a guide as to how to edit the save file, the data for the succubus is still in the game even in the non-backer version if you want.

it's simple for a edit, involves changing just 4 variables and the savefile can be opened in notepad.

Shiva Asori fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 18, 2016

Shiva Asori
Mar 5, 2010
I don't mind hard games but when later encounters can go like this: battle start, enemy 1 uses running slash, enemy 2 uses running slash, hope is lost, game over. When this happens, it kinda shows that fairness wasn't a concern to the maker.
But my biggest complaint is how buggy it still is, more then 2 years later and there's still bugs that can force restarting the game.

Shiva Asori fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 20, 2016

Shiva Asori
Mar 5, 2010

Chokes McGee posted:

Random(1)*100 + 1

"Uh, shouldn't that use the hardware randomizer for a noise sample or"

"I'm sure it'll be fine!"

Also note that the items in chests are both 1) generated on pickup thus you can savescum for good items and 2) which chests have been opened is kept track of in the save file so a simple save edit can refresh the chest.

Shiva Asori
Mar 5, 2010

Silegna posted:

So, I have a question: Why can't the Sorceror equip the Steel Claymore I picked up? Can he not equip it?

the sorcerer at the start can only use daggers, maces, longswords and staves.
there is a choice later on that can change that but by then you'll have better equipment.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Does this game get more varied environments at any point? I mean, this is better than Wizardry, but it'd be hard for it not to be.

Nope, and it's probably on purpose for the atmosphere, the possibility of being stuck in a monochrome world for eternity is enough motivation for the sorcerer to escape, and not stay in sanctuary for the rest of his life.

Shiva Asori fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 6, 2016

Shiva Asori
Mar 5, 2010

mauman posted:

Which is sadly why the Dryad is better than the witch. Dryad gets all of the witch's spells AND another dot. The rarest form of dot too. And it's enemy all AND does decent damage to boot. I've also never seen it fail barring a miss.

It's a stupidly strong spell.

Poor Willow.

Not quite, Dryad gets most of the witches spells, among the ones she doesn't get are curse of the weak, curse of the fool and witchfire.
Dryad still easily makes up for it with her AOE DoT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiva Asori
Mar 5, 2010
cellblock 4 is probably where the shift happens from hard bosses to hard encounters happens but other then that, rather uninteresting .

the minotaurs biggest weakness apart from armor is his energy regen skill is only good for +1, meaning that most of the time he isn't using skills unless you give him items with the collect energy skill.

• Locked thread