Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vdate
Oct 25, 2010
So, I seem to recall a couple folks in here having some problems with Running Slash types, and I feel your pain, those fuckers hit like trucks. Now that we've got no recruitment left (I think?), I think I'm safe to share a little secret with the lot of you. See, like a goofball, I was lured by the game's promises of the Goblin picking locks, and that didn't really happen. So I was left with an incredibly weak party member for much of the game. But then! Then. Then something magical happened, fairly deep into the second half.

The Goblin started learning AoE status effect skills (specifically, an AoE blind), which seemed to have crazy high infliction rates. And if there's one thing about the Goblin, it's that the little bastard is fast enough to always go first. And as Chokes has proven, not being hit is a great way to avoid getting your poo poo pushed in even by incredibly threatening enemies - and so it was! The Running Slash encounters went from 'I am almost certainly going to die' to 'hahahahaha get clowned on you bastards,' and the Goblin did not leave my party save for boss fights for the rest of the game. I tell you true, it was a thing of true beauty to see the Goblin go from dead weight to literally the only indispensable member of the team. I felt vindicated for dragging the little green slacker through eight blocks of pain first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
So this thread inspired me to start again on Hard, and it's surprisingly not THAT much of a step up from Normal as of block 2-3. There's more wearing down of defense, and I'm finding the Werewolf's ability to keep ATATATATATA going via Hurricane Claw (1 cooldown 1 energy cost all-target attack, albeit with miss chance) invaluable, since it lets me keep the weardown going even as I burst down single targets of threat.

Gilex, on the other hand, was loving terrifying, probably because I opted to take the crazy person party of Sorc/Shadow/Ghost/Cultist into it, which means that 3/4 of my party was uncomfortably squishy against a man whose entire gimmick is chopping. That said, the Ghost's ability to blind and burn and the Shadow's ability to blast 80-damage shots through his defense made them worthwhile inclusions. Paired that with the dots from Scorch and Poison from the fixed staff drop on the Sorcerer as my damage source, and used the Cultist to frantically buff up party defense between Wide Chops. I won, but a couple more turns of that and I probably would have died. I'm looking forward to my horror stories of Myles, though.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I took the Abomination as my last summon instead. :shobon: It all worked out anyway, though; if I recall correctly I went for the most boring plan imaginable - take team MAXIMUM TURTLE (sorc/abom/cultist/vamp) into the fight, frantically restore defense/heal until I can stick enough DoTs to poison/burn Myles to death, then relax and plink the Illusions down.

Oddly, while the next block was about as difficult, even playing on Hard things have gotten a LOT less grindy from block 5 onwards, and just straight easier a few floors on from that. In part I think it's because that's where the loot tables for chests just flip the gently caress out - I started getting some truly crazy poo poo from the loot containers in the Monk Fiesta level. Having multiple party members who can bust out 300 HP /125 def bombs on the first turn also helps a great deal, though. Unfortunately, as a consequence there are fewer situations where I have to use the hard supports (Ghost, Cultist) anymore, and even the Shadow is seeing less use now. Then again my giant burstbombs are weapon-based thanks to two lucky drops (bless you, monks - blonks). If I don't find anything better in the next few blocks that might change real fast.

Out of curiosity, Chokes; did you have a rough character concept in mind for the characters who didn't get voted for?(Cultist, Werewolf, Troll, Goblin, Shadow, Imp, if I recall correctly)

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

FisheyStix posted:

Foolish Amazon! Once again, your kindle system plays right into my hands!

And a woman with a bow strapped to her back building a fire just looks at the Sorcerer like he's a lunatic.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

RickVoid posted:

Well, I had bought a copy to read on my Kindle, and was planning to get through it today, but someone broke into my house this morning and stole a bunch of my poo poo, including my Kindle.

What I'm saying is that the LP Curse has spread, Chokes.

While this doesn't mitigate the loss of the stuff, you can just download the kindle application and read it that way.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Chokes McGee posted:

Be sure to leave an Amazon review, if I get up to six a whole new world of marketing opens up to me. :kiddo:

You got it, chief! It may not be the most insightful, but that should be number six. Also, hooray, a new update. Ricochet here is, as others have mentioned, no very great challenge compared to, say, Miles or Gilex, since now you've got the tools and the gear to deal with his shenaniganry. Even if you managed to never roll anything way out of depth, he's just not as dangerous as a big ol' swarm of lesser enemies. Also, it's about drat time you landed Psychic Assault on something - granted, you were probably only showing the misses for narrative reasons, but drat that skill is so good on high-HP targets, and as the game goes on, everything becomes a high-HP target!

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Gah! I missed voting! Oh well. I played through with an Arch Magus my first time through this game, and I rolled a Knight Magus this time. Of the two I like the Knight better, although it might just be my memory playing tricks on me with respect to the Arch Magus' usefulness. In either case, a couple of things about paths not taken, since I'm assuming that's fair game -

First, the Werewolf is probably the source of the Fire/Ice Blade thing, odd as that sounds, since around about now (as in around this next block, I think?) he learns Fire and Ice Claw, which share every property (Energy cost, cooldown, effects) with the Puppet's version. This is nice because it gives him something to consistently do in boss fights, since his default oraoraoraoraora approach is great for packs and lousy for single targets.

Second, Arcane Blade, the Knight Magus's trademark ability (or at least the first one s/he learns) seems like either it's bugged, or the display for its effect is, because while it does do enough damage to make Vlad's big ol' swing hang its head in shame, it also pops up a mysterious blue number, which starts around -50 for me. The only thing I've ever seen that uses blue numbers is the +1 Focus display that pops up at the start of each participant's turn. Soooo...maybe the Knight Magus can nuke enemy Focus pools? I honestly don't know. Like so many things Paper Sorcerer, it is a mystery to me.

vdate fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 29, 2016

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Hooray, we're live again! I was slavering with anticipation on how exactly this was going to go. Still am, actually, which gets a bit messy, as you might imagine.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I had to stop reading for about half a minute because I was laughing too hard after 'HEEEEEEEEEEEY YOU GUUUUUUUUUYS'. Well played, sir.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Chokes McGee posted:

I love that loving cartoon. I don't care what anybody says about Tex Avery, I maintain the Dover Boys is pretty much the zeitgeist of animated comedy and anybody who's read enough of these LPs can probably tell why.

I think my favorite part of the whole runabout business is that the colour scheme suggests that it's his own runabout he's 'stealing'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Jesus wept

his bare hands?

:cripes:

With his BARE HANDS!

e: messed up the timestamp

vdate fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 1, 2017

• Locked thread