Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Seeing the Ghost in action makes me regret taking the Shadow :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I picked this game up again, got to the final cell block and promptly put it back down.

holy poo poo.

It really says something that I look forward to boss fights more than the random encounters.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

What's your party? Which cellblock are you on?
In a nutshell, most of the time you're better off debuffing/immobilizing all enemies and then grinding them down one-by-one. Sleep and Paralysis are actually very effective in random encounters. Blind, not as much, but you have far more skills that can cause it so throw it on.
This game doesn't really -do- AoE attacks. Yeah they're there but the defense systems means that the damage will always be underwhelming.

And incidentally that's why a later "choice of abilities" has only one right answer.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Apr 12, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

BTW, the OP isn't kidding. Those illusions do not gently caress around. I actually once killed Myles, expecting his illusions to die as well, but they didn't and slaughtered what was left of my party.
Also Myles has a party-wide paralysis spell. It's kind of a bitch this early in the game.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Just don't play it on 1980s mode. The harder the levels the more of a grind it becomes and 1980s is a loving grind. Since the game's battle system is deliberately slow, it becomes agonizing. You can't just zone out and mash attack like you would in most other games. You don't even get an achievement for it, the ones for finishing the game are bugged to this day.
The good news is that status effects very much affect your enemies, so use them to make fights more manageable.

Also hey you're in B5 soon! Big choice soon! Will you let the goons vote on it? (I wouldn't but hey)

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Sorcerer - Energy control
Minotaur - Energy control
Vampire - Energy control
Ghost - Energy control
Witch - Energy control
Abomination - Energy control
Puppet - Energy control

Energy is your life blood and you want as much of it as possible. More spells to sling, more skills to use, less turns wasted on Focus.
Agility is only useful to a point, Magic and strength are good but can wait, ditto with weapon training. I have never seen the point of magic defense. Like, ever.

vorebane posted:

I dunno I think putting more skills out there would be best. Is it solely capacity, or is there a energy regen component to the training as well?

The game uses the words "skills" really liberally, but these are essentially permanent status ups. You cannot increase your energy regen AFAIK, but Energy Control increases your max capacity.
These are really loving weird because not all of these status-up are created equal. As I mentioned, magic rarely comes up in this game and you should usually be able to take care of mages quickly. I can thing of only two boss fights where these might be good, and I emphasize the word "might".
The defense up would be nice, but +5 up to a total of +50 is asking for a lot due to how many gems you'll need.
STR, MAG and HP are solid investments though.
Weapon training is basically extra damage to your dice roll. So if your skeleton has 5 weapon training, and hits in battle for 100, it'll add 5*2=10 more dmg for a total of 110. It's actually possible, but infeasible, for Witch to do good defense chipping if you invest in this, but prepare to grind like a motherfucker.

quote:

...really? Wow. I have never seen this happen. Does debuff application depend on MAG or something?

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 6, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

Bad news, guys. I, uh, think I kinda broke the game :v:

We got a couple of big ticket drops in the last few floors I played through. We're going to see how it goes with Ricerche—I mean, bosses usually have a way of bringing you back down to Earth—but we just rampaged through the next three floors in the cell block without breaking a sweat and I'm concerned the game's not going to catch up.

That's normal. The game eases up for a bit, the enemies become more annoying than anything. If you made through the early game gauntlet, this is a breeze.

It's the last cellblock you need to watch out for.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Welp, this got me playing this turd again. My vampire/minotaur/cultist team gave up in block 9 after a double running slash party wipe.

Got Sleep or paralyze? It makes those dudes much easier when you can deal with them one by one. You do not want to get into a damage race with enemies. Also did you go magic or physical for your Sorceror?

9 is a dry run for 10, so you need to be really on the ball with mob management.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Nah you should be okay. Got an Abomination, Skeleton or Ghost? Replace Minotaur with one of those. Abom and Skele can tank and knockdown the guys. Ghost can use dirge to debuff and Hand of Frailty to make them weak against magic. His paralyze can also take a dude out of the fight (just don't attack said dude, I find that makes paralysis wear off faster). Nuke the debuff'd dude with sorcerer, wale on him with vampire, keep your guys alive with Cultist.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

You're right about the floors having personality. The little touches here and there do a lot to make the sloggy fights bearable.

dis astranagant posted:

Got goast, goblin and puppet. Problem being that it looks like I blew all my money on something and can't get them geared up. my sorcerer is also wearing a bunch of wildly obsolete gear with int on it instead of having anything resembling actual defense :psyduck:

Ah neat! Slot in ghost then and give everyone nasty rear end weaknesses and then go to town with Vampire and Sorceror. Which floor are you on in block 9? If you can get to floor 2, you can now open up all the floors of the Reaper's Catacombs. You can loot chests there for weapons to sell and complete the weapon spirit sidequest. Fair warning, enemies on the last floor in that place are rooooough. Like those guys are at least as tough as the Block 10 assholes.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 22, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

Dispel Enemy also begins to come in handy. We've got skills in our toolbox now that are absolutely worthless for random mobs but drat near critical for bosses.

hahahahahaha :shepicide:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Knight Magus because big numbers are fun.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

DGM_2 posted:

I did arch-magus and I can tell you there are a couple of nice spells on that path. There's a full-party frost attack (complete with agility debuff and DoT) and one that lets us muscle in on Vlad's turf by draining HP and energy from a single target.

I never played with knight-magus, but I recall the description saying that you could use better swords and heavier armor.

Since I've already seen arch-magus I'll vote for knight-magus. Besides, our sorcerer doesn't seem smart enough to unlock the mystical secrets of the universe. Hitting things with other things seems more like his speed.

You can also equip a shield while wielding a greatsword due to poor coding! :eng101:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

thetruegentleman posted:

Arch Magus: the knight can be better with a lucky sword/armor find, but the mage is generally better against bosses, who are the real threat.

wat

The Knight can one shot bosses dude. And he actually has defense letting him take a hit (spoilers the Knight Magus will have more def than the Arch Magus)

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

In addition, KM can actually take a hit due to being able to equip medium armor. You can also use Ghost to decrease a target's arcane resistance, increase attack, use Power of Magus and then slam them with KM's murder skill. You can one-shot bosses this way.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

mauman posted:

yup, especially when the special buff you get crits and you spontaneously get several hundred strength.

boss fight, 2nd round, 1980's

I got 4 digit damage out of that skill before.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Well. I know a few floors that become A LOT less bullshit with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Picayune posted:

Does this mean that when Pluvius broke the gem to destroy the 'sorceror', somewhere in the world a tiny malevolent baby keeled over and died? :ohdear:

We're in another dimension from which no magic can escape, so no.

And yeah, Pluvius is a push over. His minions can hit for a decent amount, but after going through several walls which brutalize you, they might as well be a pleasant breeze. Also you can use sleep and paralysis to take them out of the fight and deal with Pluvius one-on-one, just to make it more insulting.
IIRC he does actually summon his minions back if you kill em, but meh.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 21, 2016

• Locked thread